5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent middle-of-the-road desktop
Amazon's pricing always fluctuates; the day I purchased this Amazon was cheaper than buying from Dell's own site.

Published 8 months ago by D Welch

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Computer/Software ??
Published 7 months ago by ely carney

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent middle-of-the-road desktop, August 12, 2013
This review is from: Dell Inspiron 660s i660s-2312BK Desktop (Personal Computers)

Neither a stripped-down model nor one for serious gamers, this desktop uses a very small footprint on your desk. It has little bloatware other than a trial version of McAfee and Word/Excel pre-installed other than Dell stuff that I delete as soon as the warranty expires.

It comes with a total of 8 USB ports (Two are 3.0) ports, an HDMI connection and a card reader.

It also has built-in wireless card, a lot of desktop computers don't have this. And also a processor speed above 3.0 is something you need to look for. This has a 3.4 processor speed.

It's fast; I can multi-task and it does everything quickly. (I had purchased MS Office 2010 a couple years ago and installed this, it's compatible with Windows 8.) BTW, Windows 8 isn't as bad as most people want you to think. A click or two and Windows 8 looks similar to Windows 7, except no start button in the lower-left corner as previous Windows all had.

All in all, this is an excellent choice for those of you who don't want the cheapest computer, nor the most expensive. It handles multi-tasking, emails, Skypeing, internet, photos and videos without a struggle. No webcam, you will have to add one yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be afraid of Windows 8! ***** 8.1 IS NOW AVAILABLE!!, August 11, 2013
Yarii (North of Greentucky) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
UPDATE! October 17, 2013: Windows 8.1 is now available at the online Microsoft store - a free update for those of us with Windows 8. It takes about an hour to download/install and the Start Button is back!
*******************************************************
PRE-8.1 update: I searched everywhere for a leftover Windows 7 computer in my price range to no avail. I admit the first 30 minutes of using this Dell 660s I was ready to send it back only because of Windows 8, but persevered and now I like it. It doesn't hurt to learn something new! The start-up app was designed to appeal to tablet/smartphone users, so click on the Desktop App and it then looks similar to Windows 7. Move the cursor to the far right-hand side, to shut the PC down, it's under Settings - Power (this is what drove me nuts until I found the location).
*******************************************************
OK--Back to the computer. This Core i3 Intel PC is perfect for an average user. It handles MS Word, Excel spreadsheets, Open Office if you don't want to buy the MS products, photos, music, 1080 videos. (I recently installed Microsoft's new Office 365 and it's like it's tailor-made for Windows 8.

If you're a hard-core gamer, buy something faster than this; but you probably already know to do that! The processor speed is 3.4 Ghz and fast enough for 1080p videos. It has an HDMI connector. It comes with a 1TB hard drive which I'm sure is more than enough space for me until this computer wears out. 4 GB of RAM and a wireless card! I used my old HP 20" monitor since it was still working fine. There are plenty of USB ports both front and back where on my old computer I had to use a hub for extra ports, I have USB ports left over on this. This also has two USB 3.0 ports.

Quiet running, when the fan runs, I can barely hear it. The tower is tiny compared to older towers. It's stylish as everything is hidden behind doors. The left door has an 8-in-1 card reader, 2 USB ports, a headphone jack and a mic jack behind it. The right door is the CD/DVD drive, but sideways. Ventilation on both the top, right side and back.

This tower cannot be used sideways, the only feet are on the bottom. No feet on either of the sides.

The keyboard does not have feet underneath, it is designed with a raised area in the back, so no collapsing feet. Also has the Chiclet keys where crumbs and stuff can't get underneath them. The mouse is an optical wired mouse. This does not come with a monitor, purchase one additional or use your old monitor like I did.

The Tower is made in Mexico. Keyboard and mouse are made in China.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price you pay, July 22, 2013
I was looking for a PC I could customize with my own parts but, with it having decent parts at stock and I have to say, you cant get better for the price. Don't be discouraged by the i3 Processor, it is WTFast! At over 3.0 GHZ it can handle almost anything! I did change the 4 GB to 8 and changed the graphics card but, if you are a person looking for a PC you can upgrade that has good parts at the beginning, this is for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars I660s desktop, August 22, 2013
The computer is a wonderful little tool! Fast processor and network; lots of memory and disc space. Windows 8 is a new Windows experience, which I am enjoying. The Dell Support tools are well integrated. The system was preloaded with McAfee Anti-Virus, which is good. Windows 'sleep' mode works well, quiet and cool.
The memory can be upgraded to 8GB, but there are no expansion slots for adapter cards (i.e. video)
Amazon delivered the package ahead of schedule. Curiously the Amazon box contained a Dell box that contained the computer :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and powerful enough, July 30, 2013
I bought this to sit underneath the TV, for TV/video from the web and from my home network, music and web browsing. It meets these needs perfectly. And great value for the price/performance mix. It's a nice compact set-up and extremely quiet. If recommend the Logitech K400r wireless keyboard/trackpad combination to control the system from the other side of the room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Computer for the price, September 9, 2013
S. Niece (Wise, VA USA) - See all my reviews
Good things do come in small packages. Great computer for the price. Compact tower so it takes up little space. Runs all my programs quickly and efficiently. Windows 8, 1TB hard drive and 4 GB memory for under 380.00. Great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great system, September 1, 2013
so far so good, I have always purchased dell products, love the small tower. excellent key board very compatible with my all in one printer and monitor.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Computer/Software ??, September 18, 2013
This computer is a great upgrade from my older Dell and performs as advertised. Not having had any problems, I can't speak to the reservations that some reviewers have with Dell's support. However, I was somewhat dismayed with the total lack of an adequate preparation for such a total departure from all previous iterations of Windows software. I would have appreciated the opportunity to select an alternative. Enclosing something like "Windows 8 for Dummies"would have eased the transition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good PC, October 3, 2013
It was a nice pc especially for the price that amazon had it listed for. Of course, I purchased upgraded ram and windows 7 since this pc was going to be used as a media center pc that was in a central location in the house. Never had a hiccup or failure yet. Does include a nice mouse and keyboard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special but OK, September 8, 2013
Computer is being used at my business and replaces a more expensive Dell Studio computer that unfortunately had an early and untimely death because of a lightning strike. Computer is being used for admin purposes only and after getting used to Win 8, is working fine

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›