Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on August 12, 2013
Amazon's pricing always fluctuates; the day I purchased this Amazon was cheaper than buying from Dell's own site.

Neither a stripped-down model nor one for serious gamers, this desktop uses a very small footprint on your desk. It has little bloatware other than a trial version of McAfee and Word/Excel pre-installed other than Dell stuff that I delete as soon as the warranty expires.

It comes with a total of 8 USB ports (Two are 3.0) ports, an HDMI connection and a card reader.

It also has built-in wireless card, a lot of desktop computers don't have this. And also a processor speed above 3.0 is something you need to look for. This has a 3.4 processor speed.

It's fast; I can multi-task and it does everything quickly. (I had purchased MS Office 2010 a couple years ago and installed this, it's compatible with Windows 8.) BTW, Windows 8 isn't as bad as most people want you to think. A click or two and Windows 8 looks similar to Windows 7, except no start button in the lower-left corner as previous Windows all had.

All in all, this is an excellent choice for those of you who don't want the cheapest computer, nor the most expensive. It handles multi-tasking, emails, Skypeing, internet, photos and videos without a struggle. No webcam, you will have to add one yourself.
33 comments23 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
UPDATE! October 17, 2013: Windows 8.1 is now available at the online Microsoft store - a free update for those of us with Windows 8. It takes about an hour to download/install and the Start Button is back!
*******************************************************
PRE-8.1 update: I searched everywhere for a leftover Windows 7 computer in my price range to no avail. I admit the first 30 minutes of using this Dell 660s I was ready to send it back only because of Windows 8, but persevered and now I like it. It doesn't hurt to learn something new! The start-up app was designed to appeal to tablet/smartphone users, so click on the Desktop App and it then looks similar to Windows 7. Move the cursor to the far right-hand side, to shut the PC down, it's under Settings - Power (this is what drove me nuts until I found the location).
*******************************************************
OK--Back to the computer. This Core i3 Intel PC is perfect for an average user. It handles MS Word, Excel spreadsheets, Open Office if you don't want to buy the MS products, photos, music, 1080 videos. (I recently installed Microsoft's new Office 365 and it's like it's tailor-made for Windows 8.

If you're a hard-core gamer, buy something faster than this; but you probably already know to do that! The processor speed is 3.4 Ghz and fast enough for 1080p videos. It has an HDMI connector. It comes with a 1TB hard drive which I'm sure is more than enough space for me until this computer wears out. 4 GB of RAM and a wireless card! I used my old HP 20" monitor since it was still working fine. There are plenty of USB ports both front and back where on my old computer I had to use a hub for extra ports, I have USB ports left over on this. This also has two USB 3.0 ports.

Quiet running, when the fan runs, I can barely hear it. The tower is tiny compared to older towers. It's stylish as everything is hidden behind doors. The left door has an 8-in-1 card reader, 2 USB ports, a headphone jack and a mic jack behind it. The right door is the CD/DVD drive, but sideways. Ventilation on both the top, right side and back.

This tower cannot be used sideways, the only feet are on the bottom. No feet on either of the sides.

The keyboard does not have feet underneath, it is designed with a raised area in the back, so no collapsing feet. Also has the Chiclet keys where crumbs and stuff can't get underneath them. The mouse is an optical wired mouse. This does not come with a monitor, purchase one additional or use your old monitor like I did.

The Tower is made in Mexico. Keyboard and mouse are made in China.
55 comments43 of 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 22, 2013
I was looking for a PC I could customize with my own parts but, with it having decent parts at stock and I have to say, you cant get better for the price. Don't be discouraged by the i3 Processor, it is WTFast! At over 3.0 GHZ it can handle almost anything! I did change the 4 GB to 8 and changed the graphics card but, if you are a person looking for a PC you can upgrade that has good parts at the beginning, this is for you!
66 comments31 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2013
The computer is a wonderful little tool! Fast processor and network; lots of memory and disc space. Windows 8 is a new Windows experience, which I am enjoying. The Dell Support tools are well integrated. The system was preloaded with McAfee Anti-Virus, which is good. Windows 'sleep' mode works well, quiet and cool.
The memory can be upgraded to 8GB, but there are no expansion slots for adapter cards (i.e. video)
Amazon delivered the package ahead of schedule. Curiously the Amazon box contained a Dell box that contained the computer :-)
on July 30, 2013
I bought this to sit underneath the TV, for TV/video from the web and from my home network, music and web browsing. It meets these needs perfectly. And great value for the price/performance mix. It's a nice compact set-up and extremely quiet. If recommend the Logitech K400r wireless keyboard/trackpad combination to control the system from the other side of the room.
0Comment16 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 2013
Good things do come in small packages. Great computer for the price. Compact tower so it takes up little space. Runs all my programs quickly and efficiently. Windows 8, 1TB hard drive and 4 GB memory for under 380.00. Great deal.
on September 18, 2013
This computer is a great upgrade from my older Dell and performs as advertised. Not having had any problems, I can't speak to the reservations that some reviewers have with Dell's support. However, I was somewhat dismayed with the total lack of an adequate preparation for such a total departure from all previous iterations of Windows software. I would have appreciated the opportunity to select an alternative. Enclosing something like "Windows 8 for Dummies"would have eased the transition.
11 comment7 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2013
so far so good, I have always purchased dell products, love the small tower. excellent key board very compatible with my all in one printer and monitor.
on October 3, 2013
It was a nice pc especially for the price that amazon had it listed for. Of course, I purchased upgraded ram and windows 7 since this pc was going to be used as a media center pc that was in a central location in the house. Never had a hiccup or failure yet. Does include a nice mouse and keyboard.
on October 30, 2013
My 7 year old Dell was running Windows Vista, and would crash daily due to "Windows unable to read hard drive". So it was definitely time to upgrade my machine. I chose the 660s-2312BK because it had a 1TB hard drive and an Intel Core i3 processor, plus 2 USB 3.0 ports and 6 USB 2.0 ports.

Many are trying to scare you regarding Windows 8. I did not have any trouble making the jump from Vista to Windows 8. I'm not a big user of the Tiles after looking at them. I prefer to do Facebook and email from a browser, for example. So I have set it up so there is one tile named Desktop and I click on that and I am on a familiar Vista/Windows 7 looking desktop. Hover over the top corner, though, and some funky symbols come up from which you can search the computer, go back to the tiles and some other options.

Major improvements over Vista include the File explorer which works great, has a lot of display options and good search.
I absolutely love the upgrade from Windows backup and restore to File History. It just works. Not only does it just work, but it allows you to go back in time and restore that one document you've been working on, to say the one you had yesterday or last week before you goofed it up. The standard time interval for File History is 1 hour, so any files that have been changed or added are written to the File History (not the whole thing). So the first time File History is running, it takes an hour or two (I had a lot of photos and videos and documents and music). After that, just seconds. BTW I bought a WD 1TB USB 3.0 hard drive from Amazon as my external hard drive for File History.

The computer itself is very snappy at booting and running everything I ask it to do. I am very pleased. Gamers aren't looking at this machine, I'm sure - get yourself an i7.