Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on August 12, 2013
Amazon's pricing always fluctuates; the day I purchased this Amazon was cheaper than buying from Dell's own site.

Neither a stripped-down model nor one for serious gamers, this desktop uses a very small footprint on your desk. It has little bloatware other than a trial version of McAfee and Word/Excel pre-installed other than Dell stuff that I delete as soon as the warranty expires.

It comes with a total of 8 USB ports (Two are 3.0) ports, an HDMI connection and a card reader.

It also has built-in wireless card, a lot of desktop computers don't have this. And also a processor speed above 3.0 is something you need to look for. This has a 3.4 processor speed.

It's fast; I can multi-task and it does everything quickly. (I had purchased MS Office 2010 a couple years ago and installed this, it's compatible with Windows 8.) BTW, Windows 8 isn't as bad as most people want you to think. A click or two and Windows 8 looks similar to Windows 7, except no start button in the lower-left corner as previous Windows all had.

All in all, this is an excellent choice for those of you who don't want the cheapest computer, nor the most expensive. It handles multi-tasking, emails, Skypeing, internet, photos and videos without a struggle. No webcam, you will have to add one yourself.
on July 22, 2013
I was looking for a PC I could customize with my own parts but, with it having decent parts at stock and I have to say, you cant get better for the price. Don't be discouraged by the i3 Processor, it is WTFast! At over 3.0 GHZ it can handle almost anything! I did change the 4 GB to 8 and changed the graphics card but, if you are a person looking for a PC you can upgrade that has good parts at the beginning, this is for you!
66 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 2013
Good things do come in small packages. Great computer for the price. Compact tower so it takes up little space. Runs all my programs quickly and efficiently. Windows 8, 1TB hard drive and 4 GB memory for under 380.00. Great deal.
on August 22, 2013
The computer is a wonderful little tool! Fast processor and network; lots of memory and disc space. Windows 8 is a new Windows experience, which I am enjoying. The Dell Support tools are well integrated. The system was preloaded with McAfee Anti-Virus, which is good. Windows 'sleep' mode works well, quiet and cool.
The memory can be upgraded to 8GB, but there are no expansion slots for adapter cards (i.e. video)
Amazon delivered the package ahead of schedule. Curiously the Amazon box contained a Dell box that contained the computer :-)
on July 30, 2013
I bought this to sit underneath the TV, for TV/video from the web and from my home network, music and web browsing. It meets these needs perfectly. And great value for the price/performance mix. It's a nice compact set-up and extremely quiet. If recommend the Logitech K400r wireless keyboard/trackpad combination to control the system from the other side of the room.
on September 18, 2013
This computer is a great upgrade from my older Dell and performs as advertised. Not having had any problems, I can't speak to the reservations that some reviewers have with Dell's support. However, I was somewhat dismayed with the total lack of an adequate preparation for such a total departure from all previous iterations of Windows software. I would have appreciated the opportunity to select an alternative. Enclosing something like "Windows 8 for Dummies"would have eased the transition.
on October 3, 2013
It was a nice pc especially for the price that amazon had it listed for. Of course, I purchased upgraded ram and windows 7 since this pc was going to be used as a media center pc that was in a central location in the house. Never had a hiccup or failure yet. Does include a nice mouse and keyboard.
on January 28, 2014
I use this Dell Inspiron 660s as home security system. It serves as smart controller for my home automation system as well as host for my video surveillance software.

So far it's very reliable. I have a scheduled restart task to clear out memories every few days.

It's able to handle about 8 megapixels simultaneously. However, the i3 CPU is maxing out when the motion sensor of 2 ore more IP cameras are triggered.

I would recommend going for the i5 or even i7 if you plan on using it for the same purpose.
IP Security cameras are being developed and improved quickly. I upgraded from only 640x460 pixels to 3 megapixels rather quickly. If you don't want to replace your PC every 1-2 years, then I'd suggest the "Go big or go home" approach.

The size of this machine is perfect to hide it behind your big screen TV/display.
on May 21, 2014
I am, or was, OS agnostic. But even with updates, I can't do 8. As for the hardware, its fine for my purposes, since I no longer use CAD. And my ancient Adobe software runs fine. After a 1/2 year of owning this I still haven't bothered to install the RAM I bought with it. Not sure why I've never been able to get my iPhone 4 to connect, but at least Cannon updated the drivers for my printer after a couple months.
on October 30, 2013
My 7 year old Dell was running Windows Vista, and would crash daily due to "Windows unable to read hard drive". So it was definitely time to upgrade my machine. I chose the 660s-2312BK because it had a 1TB hard drive and an Intel Core i3 processor, plus 2 USB 3.0 ports and 6 USB 2.0 ports.

Many are trying to scare you regarding Windows 8. I did not have any trouble making the jump from Vista to Windows 8. I'm not a big user of the Tiles after looking at them. I prefer to do Facebook and email from a browser, for example. So I have set it up so there is one tile named Desktop and I click on that and I am on a familiar Vista/Windows 7 looking desktop. Hover over the top corner, though, and some funky symbols come up from which you can search the computer, go back to the tiles and some other options.

Major improvements over Vista include the File explorer which works great, has a lot of display options and good search.
I absolutely love the upgrade from Windows backup and restore to File History. It just works. Not only does it just work, but it allows you to go back in time and restore that one document you've been working on, to say the one you had yesterday or last week before you goofed it up. The standard time interval for File History is 1 hour, so any files that have been changed or added are written to the File History (not the whole thing). So the first time File History is running, it takes an hour or two (I had a lot of photos and videos and documents and music). After that, just seconds. BTW I bought a WD 1TB USB 3.0 hard drive from Amazon as my external hard drive for File History.

The computer itself is very snappy at booting and running everything I ask it to do. I am very pleased. Gamers aren't looking at this machine, I'm sure - get yourself an i7.