5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value and Performance
Published 11 months ago by David

2.0 out of 5 stars Battery is inaccessible, avoid!
Published 2 months ago by John Gallagher

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value and Performance, March 4, 2014
This review is from: Dell Inspiron 15z Ultrabook with Touch Screen/ Intel Core i5 3337U / 6GB RAM / 500GB HDD + 32GB SSD / backlit keyboard / Intel HD 4000 / 6 cell battery / webcam / WiFi / HDMI / Bluetooth / Windows 8 / Moon Silver (Personal Computers)
I bought this computer because it was the best value that I can find! $650 for a fast i5 processor, 6 GB of RAM, a touchscreen, and a hybrid SSD/HDD drive is absolutely amazing. It is a little thicker than typical ultrabooks, but that is OK with me especially since it has more connection ports (4 USB 3.0, Ethernet Port, full-sized HDMI port, media card reader, and even an optical drive).

NOTE: The computer I received does not have a second (mini) HDMI port as described above, but it does have an Ethernet port.

I was deciding between the Inspiron 15z and a Macbook Air, and I am glad that I went with this computer and saved some money. For being $450 cheaper, the Inspiron 15z has the same Core i5 processor and even more RAM (6 GB compared to 4 GB). I can also see how the Macbook Air would have connectivity issues with only 2 USB ports.

PROS:
-I have not encountered a single bug (computer freezing, touchpad/touchscreen issues, software issues, etc) since receiving the computer a few days ago.
-The body of the computer is very sleek and is made of aluminum with a plastic underbelly. The backlit keyboard looks great and feels great.
-The SSD drive is absolutely amazing... the computer takes 10-15 seconds to boot.
-The factory speakers are pretty good for laptop speakers and are manufactured by Skullcandy. They can get pretty loud, which is a plus because I have had issues with previous laptops and not being able to hear clearly.

CONS:
-The touchscreen is pretty glossy and reflects some background light which obstructs the screen when viewing at certain angles. Though this is less of an issue when the screen is set to max brightness.
-As someone else mentioned, the integrated webcam is not too great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome computer (And can survive anything), February 26, 2014
I've had this computer for almost a year now, and it is the best computer I have ever had. I have, through my own clumsiness, subjected it to rigorous tests, such as causing it to fall off of my bed. Not impressed? My bed is about 3-4 feet off of the ground. I am 5'7, and I need a step stool to get up to it. It survived THAT, plus many other falls, and if anything comes out of place, it snaps right back into where it ought to go. Now tell me, can your MacBook Pro do that?!
One note, though: they don't really make cases shaped for this computer, as its measurements are not common. Either buy a 16" case that'll be a bit too big in one dimension, or make your own if you are a capable sewer.

TL:DR The thing is a tank, can survive falls that could break a human, let alone a computer, but it's a bit wide for its height. If you buy it, you will have made the best decision of your life. Have a nice day :)

5.0 out of 5 stars My Client loves their new Dell Inspiron, February 11, 2014
Excellent performance, lightweight, good screen image, well priced with lots of features.. As an IT Tech, I have bought several
of these laptops for my clients over time, and each client has always been very satisfied.. Plus, it comes with Dell's immediate phone or next day tech support should you need it; no delays as with most other brands..

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, March 4, 2014
Best laptop I have ever owned!!!! The screen resolution is awesome and I would recommend to anyone looking for a new computer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice!, January 6, 2014
My old dell broke and got this one :). It takes a bit of getting used to using the new windows but a good day of fiddling and I'm good! Its quick and the speakers are pretty good for music or movies. I think its a good buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop, May 26, 2014
Although, its weight does not seem to support the "Ultrabook" ideal, it does have a thin profile with the benefits of many extras. The backlit keyboard is a must for me and the Dell is the best I've seen. If you are looking for an Ultrabook to carry around from meeting to meeting, this may not be your best choice. However, if you are looking for a thin quality laptop with touch screen and backlit keyboard, it is worth checking out the Inspiron 15Z.

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything great but the battery, and a few other exceptions, May 13, 2014
This is an excellent laptop. It's fast and satisfies my needs, as I had carefully chosen its features to provide what I wanted. The non-removable battery is not so stellar, though. Seems to run out in only 2-3 hours, tops. I wanted to get a second, supplemental battery but as I said, this isn't the kind of laptop where the battery is removable. I can get another battery of the same kind, take apart the unit, and replace the battery. However, since the battery is currently new, another battery won't provide any better performance.

The laptop has a DVD optical drive, not a Blu-ray (for those interested in playing Blu-rays). I also wasn't as impressed by the hybrid drive as I expected. If you want a faster drive, I'd recommend an SSD. If not, save your money and get a plain HDD. Hybrids don't really make enough of a difference to justify the price. As I mentioned, though, the speed is adequate for my needs. (I use the laptop only for MS Office, paperwork, Internet browsing, listening to music, ripping my CDs, reading, and playing DVDs. I'm not a gamer.)

The 6 GB RAM is sufficient for all my needs. Love the touch screen, as this is my first laptop with such a feature. Screen resolution is great, and it's nice and wide. 500 GB hard drive is large enough for me, as I can always store additional files on memory sticks, USB drives, and/or CompactFlash cards. (Yes, it has a CF card slot.) The 4 USB ports, HDMI port, CF card slot, network cable port, and headphone jack are pretty much all I need.

It has a built-in microphone and no microphone jack, so I bought a USB headset with microphone for recording (from Target down the street). Works perfectly. Wireless Internet access is smooth. Speakers are great -- and the nice, equalized sound of music and videos over headphones is particularly impressive. I'm enjoying Windows 8.1, since this is my first time playing with it.

Haven't done much with the webcam and can't really comment on it.

As far as size and weight goes, just be aware that this isn't a light laptop like you'd expect an "Ultrabook" to be. It's as heavy as a standard model (and probably as heavy as the heaviest these days). That doesn't much concern me, though, because I don't often move it around, and I'm used to carrying a backpack with books.

Overall, I'm satisfied with this new unit. I'll be using it for years.

2.0 out of 5 stars Battery is inaccessible, avoid!, November 15, 2014
I have this ultrabook for a while so I can give it a fair review. The worst part of this laptop is where the battery is located. You have to take the entire computer apart in order to reseat the battery that jogs loose. The laptop blacks out when the battery is not connected and this happens frequently. You need several tools and it is a very tedious operation. It is very easy to damage the delicate wiring that connects various components. If this laptop had a battery that had external access I would have given it more stars. If you do not like playing the game of "Operation" and picking off all of the rubber inserts, stay away from these Dells that have internal batteries! Otherwise the computer works well. It is not super fast, kind of a bummer as I thought the Intel I5 would be, but I do not use it for gaming. I like the lighted keyboard. The DVD is flimsy but operates. The ram has an access door? Once again, I will not buy another laptop with an internal no access battery, BIG mistake and lesson learned. I had Gateways before Acer bought them an the quality went way down. This is my first Dell, maybe my last unless the next one has a snap on battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal for this price, March 26, 2014
I chose this product to have a home laptop that I can use easily and simple.
It is fast and easy. I like the W8 experience with touch screen as well. Originally I didn't want to buy a touch screen one, but this one was for a good price, but now I got addicted to the touch screen and always use it.
I ordered it for my girlfrind she is using it all the time and she is more than happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laptop for my daughter to use at college, June 12, 2014
The Dell met all of the requirements for my daughters use at college. DVD drive, USB 3 for fast data transfer, plenty of storage space. The i5 processor is fast enough for her applications and It boots up quickly. The touch screen is very responsive.