5.0 out of 5 stars Great portable laptop, October 13, 2012
This review is from: Dell Inspiron 11z Ultralight 11.6" Laptop | Intel Core i3 330UM 1.20GHz, 11.6" 1366x768 LED, 2GB DDR3, 250GB HDD, WiFi N, 6-cell Battery, Windows 7 Home (Personal Computers)
I bought several of these for my office. This is a sweet little machine. It comes with surprisingly little bloatware, feels very solid, and runs just fine out of the box with the 2GB it comes with. And upgrading the RAM is very easy, if you want to upgrade it to 4GB or 8GB.The battery life is great - about 4 hours using wifi and movies, and more if you nurse it for web surfing or use it on the plane. The processor much better than any netbook; it's dual core and hyperthreaded. It has HDMI and VGA, great for all your display needs, and an SD Card slot which is always welcome. One of the USB ports is powered, which means you can quickly charge your smartphone or itouch. If you travel and don't bring all the adapters for your phone etc., you will be thankful for this. Overall, nice machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Practically perfect!, January 21, 2013
I think this is an underappreciated computer (but not by me!). I think of it like a Macbook Air for Windows. Perfect size & weight - 11.6" and 3lbs. Perfect for school or portable business use. HDMI and VGA ports for home use or projectors.

Great LED screen. Resolution is only 1366x768, but what more do you need for this machine? It orginally had 2GB, but I upgraded to 6GB total RAM. I also changed out my hard drive to one with 7200 RPM, so it's a little snappier. There is a youtube video that can help you to learn how to change out your hard drive as it isn't intuitive.

Build quality is solid... but it's not a Latitude with magnesium alloy. It is hard plastic, but I wouldn't recommend dropping it.

I also upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate for the operating system. It also supports most Linux distributions - Ubuntu, Mint & Zorin. Windows 8 runs very well on this machine... but I can't stand that interface, so I'm sticking with Windows 7.

Battery life is decent at about 3.5 hours.

3 Downsides I can think of:
1) It gets rather warm on the bottom side. If you do anything with heavy graphics, you will want a cooling pad.

2) There's no built-in bluetooth. While it would probably drain battery life quicker, I think it should've been made a requirement for such a little gem.

3) The screen doesn't open up all the way. I think it only goes back 120 degrees? It makes it more difficult to use on laptop stands.

All in all, if you are looking for a NON-touch screen laptop, you owe it to yourself to check this one out.

Since I can't stand the Windows 8 OS, I look forward to finding used 11z's on ebay if/when my machine ever dies on me.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars, November 6, 2012
I bought this because my other laptop from Dell has been ruined by someone, so I needed a replacement. This little laptop is the perfect companion. Its light weight, powerful, and has a great screen to it that displays beautiful graphics. I dont care for Windows 7, so I recently upgraded to Windows 8 and it looks amazing on there! The only complaint about this laptop is about the touchpad. Maybe its me, but I cant figure out how to work the thing. I have a Chromebook with a touchpad, and it works like a dream, but this touchpad on this laptop is difficult to navigate. But I have solved that problem by attaching an old Dell mouse I had just laying around, with that attachment this laptop is wonderful. Connecting to Wifi is a breeze... quick and easy. There is no CD/DVD drive, but it does have SD card, USB, Ethernet ports available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Right!, October 28, 2012
I was starting to fell like Goldilocks when trying to find the perfect size laptop. I had a 17 inch HP (This laptop is too big!) Next I had an Acer Netbook (This laptop is too small). Now I have this Dell Inspiron 11z Ultralight and it is Just Right!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dell 11Z Buy With Confidence, June 23, 2012
It's my favorite Dell Notebook.
It's mobile.
I upgraded with an 9 cell Battery and a 128 Solid state drive.

AVOID REFURBISHED... My webcam turns green...

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent taste, May 14, 2013
excellent taste very economical product easy to install, very beautifull I'm very happy with my dell inspiron laptop recommend
thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Little Netbook/Laptop from Dell, March 25, 2013
The Dell Inspiron 11Z may not be the best netbook/laptop computer in its class, but it comes close. It is a solidly constructed, well designed computer, whose performance compares favorably with other, more expensive, Dell computers I have used, such as several of the early Dell XPS models (M1210, M1330). It may be all a casual user needs in a compact netbook/laptop computer, especially with regards with internet surfing; however, users may want to upgrade the available RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB just for allowing it to have faster internet access, though I have found that when I have used the computer connected to the Internet from a high speed connection, I have had little or no problems with internet surfing. I am delighted that it is relatively light weight, and haven't hesitated carrying it with me, and using it to surf the internet at venues like an East Village (New York, NY) bar or the Metropolitan Museum of Art cafeteria. Aside from internet surfing, I have been able to use the limited versions of MS WORD and MS EXCEL that comprise the MS Office Starter software that was bundled with this computer. (For a substantially higher sum, users can acquire an activation key and have MS OFFICE 2010 working, since it comes installed - though not working - too.) I highly recommend this computer to anyone thinking of using it primarily as an internet access netbook, or as a backup to another, more feature-laded, laptop or desktop computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, December 23, 2014
excelent

5.0 out of 5 stars I left you (Dell) to experience others & you took me back with open arms. The grass isn't always greener , it's good to be home., June 17, 2012
I've had 3 Dells in the past and wanted to try a different brand to see what was out there. After getting totally frustrated w/ HP and confused by Toshiba, I came back home to the Motherland. Why change it up if I've always been extremely satisfied w/ Dell? It was the "guilt" of not widening my horizons and the feeling I might be missing something. But that guilt went by the wayside as I comfortably settled in to a machine I've loved before with the latest technology and 100% satisfaction I've unwittingly come to expect from Dell at a MAGNIFICENT price point. Thank you Dell for allowing me to experience others and welcoming me back with open arms, it's good to be home.