Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now HTL

on July 15, 2011
I've had a week to play around with my new Dell Inspiron 14r and I must say that I was disappointed at first. My initial reaction to this machine wasn't due cosmetic or ergonomic factors, but performance. On paper, this Dell should be able to handle basic web surfing while listening to mp3s with some Windows updates going on in the background. But no, this guy would almost slow to a crawl. Opening a simple application, such as Mozilla Firefox, would take around 10 seconds and would often freeze after loading. Even the boot-up time was a painful 2 1/2 minutes. Now this laptop has an index rating of 5.8, indicating that the dismal performance wasn't due to hardware. Which led me to the other possible culprit: software. Specifically, Dell's crapware, bloatware, etc. When this computer finally loaded, there was Dell DataSafe Online, Dell Data Backup and Dell Dock all running in the background. Manually uninstalling these through control panel gave no positive results. So I did a clean install of Windows 7 and let me tell you, it is a world of difference! The machine boots in about a minute, all applications open and load much quicker (without freezing) and this Dell can now adequately handle anything I throw at it. So if you're considering this laptop, just know that you may experience some performance issues thanks to the useless applications Dell has installed. If you're computer savvy, don't hesitate to do a clean install of Windows 7, you will be a much happier user. I know I am.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2011
This review is based on initial impressions as we just received it today. This rev of the Inspirion is a step up in terms of build quality, compared to the 1st gen Inspirion 1440 we got 18 months ago. It feels more solid, the exterior plastic is a notch above the last version, and the chiclet keyboard is a definite improvement. The LED backlit screen is very nice. The Windows Experience Index rating is a respectable 5.6, reinforcing my impression that this laptop is more than adequate for email, browsing, and casual gaming.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2011
This is excellent laptop for the price... got everything you basically need. If you can clean up the dell bloat-ware it will be 5-star. Either clean up the dell junk-ware or just do a fresh install of windows 7. License key is on the back of your laptop. Use that to register your windows 7 copy.

You will have an excellent, fast and efficient laptop. Rating 4 star for the additional effort needed, otherwise 5 star!
on September 21, 2011
I got a great deal on this through the Kindle with Special Offers, but I think it's also a good laptop for the regular price. It's about as light as you're going to get in this price range.
It's solid and works well. There wasn't nearly as much bloatware as other people are saying. I uninstalled all of it (especially Dell Datasafe - but create your backup discs first), and it's very speedy now. I use it for occasional video editing, and it's sufficiently powerful for that.
The keyboard does occasionally miss a letter. It's happening much less often after a couple of months, but still once in a while.
on November 6, 2011
My dad and I spent the time and bought this computer in may 10. I'm a college student. I was excited to have a computer that was new. When I got it there wasn't an issue but once I got to school by nov it was frustrating to use. My track pad just stops working and I thought oh well I have a back up anyway. But then it started freezing and listening to music or watching a video is unbearable it freezes the picture but the sound keeps going or it makes high pitched noises and then keeps going. Typing anything up means that it freezes and stops responding. Its really bad when you have something like music and word up and your righting a paper or on the internet. There are no viruses on it. 2 of my other friends had dells as well this model. they to experienced the same problem and actually had to buy new computers even though they werent a year old due to the same problems. There is no quality check on these laptops and they aren't reliable if you have to use it any day for a long time. Get something else these are all hardware problems
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2011
Overall quality and construction reminds me of the old "Made in China"s rather than the new ones. Performance is still good. The touchpad get in the way sometimes when you are typing. I guess its not too bad, just have to get used to it. Windows 7 is what it is, can't blame it on Dell. However Dell could take it easy with all the Dell apps that come by default, its full of cr@p you will never use, which keeps popping up during your first few weeks of use. Advice, uninstall everything you will never use.
on January 16, 2012
I bought this laptop to replace my 4 years old Dell 640m. Long story short, it died after about 4 months of normal use. It turned off by itself. That's it.
I will have to ship it back to Dell to repair and will probably loss all data in there.

Other than that, when it was up and running, it was a decent computer. Decent screen, loud speakers, etc... So if you don't use it for work and have time to deal with Dell customer service. Buy it !
on August 31, 2011
I ordered this computer for my son for college after reading reviews that rated it as a top pick. He loves it and said it was fast. Slim, lightweight, sleek and efficient. He plays games on it that take up a lot of memory and they do well
on June 5, 2012
We purchased 2 of these laptops, one for myself and one for my husband. Now, less than a year later they both have huge cracks in the panel surrounding the screen. Mine has one crack and my husband's laptop has two cracks. We aren't particularly rough with them and we didn't drop them... They're just built really poorly. As far as I can tell, with Amazon's warranty we're just out of luck. I completely regret this purchase and if I could give it no stars I would!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2012
I got this notebook as a gift from my aunt (who lives in the US) and here's what came outta the box:

1. A beautiful Notebook - yes, its build is so sexy ( at least a lot better than the three other laptops I've owned)
2. When I turned it on, the first thing I got as a 'gift' was "Plugged in, not charging" (and it's still NOT charging even 'they' have contacted the Dell Support on my behalf who weren't of much help)
3. I unplugged the charger to see if it helps but the notebook turned off and when I booted again, pre-installed MS Windows was gone
4. Dell NO MORE gives you the Windows CD or even the Recovery Disk (which I really loved about them when they did and which I was asked to insert in order to restore my operating system and which I didn't have enough time to create) So I had to purchase Windows 7 thinking this might solve the issue
5. Still 'not charging' :(
6. Tried another charger: 'not charging'
7. I've Googled for the issue and tried every possible solution: 'not charging' (guess what, there were countless others having the same issue
8. Then I read 'Made in China' all over the product
9. Dell suggests to flash the BIOS which should 'solve most issues'... but the notebook wouldn't let me do it unless the battery is at least 10%

So, my advice: STAY AWAY FROM DELL... they used to make good notebooks but long gone are those days.

I'm an Ex-IT-Professional-Turned-Freelance writer and I'd to suffer a lot because of this faulty machine. I'll it take to a technician tomorrow, and even if it does work now, it's costed me a hell already.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse