4.0 out of 5 stars Eligible for Windows 8 upgrade
Published 21 months ago by Keppler

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product, excellent for students
Excellent for students, good quality in video and fast enough w/ regular MS applications, good responsein internet. It is not too heavy and it doesn't get too hot in your lap.
Published 23 months ago by Eric

4.0 out of 5 stars Eligible for Windows 8 upgrade, November 23, 2012
This review is from: Dell Inspiron i15N-2548BK 15-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
I bought this notebook to use primarily as a streaming device connected to my TV. It does this well. I also have a few games loaded on it and it runs them well with their settings turned down. I purchased this on Monday of black Friday deal week (2012) for $329 and then used Microsoft's windows upgrade offer (windowsupgradeoffer.com $15) to install windows 8. The verdict is still out on windows 8 but for the notebook I feel I got a good value. I especially like that it has a HDMI port so it is just one cable going to my TV for video and sound.

If i needed a second I would definitely buy another at the sale price and possibly at regular price. I gave it four stars because I would say I like it not love it. It would have to be faster to love it but that would also cost $500+. Overall I would recommend this notebook for streaming video, light gaming, paper typing, and internet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product, excellent for students, September 11, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money, September 14, 2012
Dell Inspiron i15N-2728BK 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black)
Although Microsoft lost a foothold in the world of computers when they faded out XP ,This Dell is a very good laptop . I told myself I would never own windows 7 ,but had no choice .
I purchased a lap-desk and a cooling pad also All in all I am happy with my Dell

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good!, November 30, 2012
I don't review things very often, but I have decided to give it a go. Below is a list of things I thought were worth mentioning. Hopefully I will remember to update this over time.

It has a very pretty glossy finish. The only negative about this thus far is that it attracts smudges and fingerprints very easily.
Set up was really simple and fast. I did not have to uninstall many programs.
This is the first laptop I have had with the island style keyboard. It will take some time to get used to. In my opinion, it feels a bit clunky.
The optical drive is kind of loud. So far I have only used it to install a few games. I am hoping that it is not quite so loud while playing dvds.
Speaking of games, if you like to play The Sims 3, it works wonderfully.
The Windows Experience Index is 4.6
The webcam could use improvements.
The track pad is not jumpy and the zoom is fun to play with. The scrolling is going to take some practice though.
With default settings, the speakers kind of suck. (What I did to make it better: start/control panel/hardware and sound/sound/right click on speakers/headphones and choose properties/enhancements/check loudness equalization/apply)

Update one:
Thankfully the optical drive is not loud while playing dvds. However, something I have noticed is that when you open it while it is laying flat on a surface (the laptop) the disc holder thingy will scrape along the surface.
I had an issue after using sleep mode for the first time. After doing so, whenever I put it on hibernate, I would find that hours later it had turned itself on...by itself. I did quickly find a solution though and it has not repeated this since.

Update two (a year later):
Still a very good laptop. My least favorite thing is still the optical drive. It is just cheap and flimsy. (It does work though) The only new issue that has popped up for me involves the trackpad. It occasionally just slows down for some reason. I usually just press F3 to deactivate it and then again to reactivate and then it begins working correctly again. At this point I have played many games using this laptop and although you may have to adjust the settings, it still runs wonderfully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price. Great product., April 24, 2013
This laptop worked as the perfect replacement when I lost my HP. Just started college so I needed something pretty handy at a good price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Average Quality, March 1, 2013
Not upto the standards like few other Dell products.
The wireless adaptor is pretty bad and keeps kicking me out of the network very very frequently.
Planning to return it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible!!!!, January 15, 2013
Used to think highly of Dell computers till I got this. Have to keep refreshing my internet browser EVERYTIME because it will not load. It's not my wifi because my internet works just fine on my ipad and other devices plus I have the same problem while using other networks. I have spent hours on the phone with DELL customer service and after all else failed, they restored to factory settings but still no difference. They tried to refer me to their software department to pay $130 because its "not a hardware problem and they are not software experts". Why do I have to pay so much money to fix a problem on a laptop that is still under factory warranty? Just horrible!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as expected, can I exchange it?, December 24, 2012
I wish it was simple as a Mac pro...this one is asking me to add something to the laptop and is anoying...I am simple user no need extra things, but cannot dissable those Dell offers...Plus, the back of the screen is ugly, ordinary (I guess that's way it was cheap) and could easily get scratches that would make the laptop uglier. Whish I can exchange it...:(

1.0 out of 5 stars slowest computrt I have ever owned, December 17, 2012
I was so excited to get this laptop from Amazon only to be disapointed. It is the slowest laptop I have ever had. I even called my internet service provider to check to see if there was a problem but all is working well. So, I will be returning this laptop as soon as I can contact Amazon for return info.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product for the price., December 2, 2012
I bought this laptop for my wife as a lightning deal on Cyber Monday and picked it up for 329.99. For this price point, I really felt like I couldn't do better. The laptop seems to be pretty solid with good hinges (sounds like a dumb point unless you have had a laptop with crappy hinges). The only part that seems kind of cheap is the keyboard, but for the price I can't complain too much.

It comes with an intel core i3 processor which is what really sold me (I could not find the core i series processors at this price point on any other laptops), as the HD and RAM can be upgraded at a pretty inexpensive price. My wife was adamant about having windows 8 so I purchased the pro upgrade at a reduced price through MS (after rebate from Dell, the upgrade is free). The upgrade went fairly well, however I had to do a bios upgrade in order to get the laptop screen to work with win 8 (the upgrade would seem to freeze after a certain point on me, but once i hooked it up to an external screen i was able to complete it, then found on the dell website that this is a known issue for this model).

I did a clean upgrade to 8 so i can't speak to the performance out of the box with all the bloatware, but for my wife's purposes (viewing videos, pictures, facebook, youtube, etc.) it runs great and is very quick on win 8.

Just a note on the weight. The 8lbs reported by amazon is the weight including shipping materials. The actual weight of the laptop is around 5lbs with a 15.7" screen and we are happy with that size/weight. We have not had a need to really test battery life so I can't speak to that aspect of it.

Overall we are very happy with this product and would consider buying it again.

Rate and Discover Movies