Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

on December 12, 2012
First of all, let me state that I consider myself to be an above average PC user. I cut my teeth on mainframes and mini-computers, and bought my first PC back in the late 1970s. I have performed hardware and software support for a medium-sized company for a number of years. I am no longer actively supporting others' PCs, but am still involved in business and personal use of PCs normally providing my own basic hardware and software support.

I received my new Dell laptop about a month and a half ago. It has not been working for the past three weeks. When I turn the laptop on, the Dell logo displays, and the screen goes blank. Per Dell, I needed to contact them to work out any warranty issues. I had been on the phone with Dell, for two weeks off and on going over the same issues again and again with them. They assure me that they want to get the laptop fixed! They then sent me a boot disk (flash drive). The laptop will not recognize the flash drive. After several more days of discussion, they told me they would replace the disk drive, the motherboard, and the DVD player. This was 5 days ago. I finally got a call from the Dell authorized warranty repairman two days ago, but missed the call. I called back immediately, but he was out (I assume on another warranty repair job). After two more days with no returned calls, I called him again. He assured me I would be the first one on his list tomorrow!

I have nothing against the repairman, but I asked Dell if the parts could be sent to my local Dell authorized warranty repairman located two miles from me. Instead, they sent the parts to someone located 4 hours away!!!! Is this any way for Dell to keep warranty costs down???

I have been a fan of Dell pcs for a number of years, but I believe this will be my last dell purchase. The products seem to be great and normally reliable for a reasonable price, but if there are any warranty issues on new products where Dell needs to get involved, forget it.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Hello penman1949,

We appreciate you providing your feedback in this matter. Sorry to hear that your experience with Tech Support has not been a positive one. I understand that tech support can be frustrating, especially on a new system that is fresh out of the box. We would like to have our experts take another look into your concerns on your behalf to find a resolution to the problem.

Please reach out to our Online Support Teams directly via the Dell Community Forums (; the Support tab on Facebook (; or on Twitter @DellCares (

I hope that we can get this resolved for you and restore your faith in our products. Thank you for sharing and have a great day!
on December 15, 2012
Received the product Friday. Turns out a speaker is defective. Called Dell today only to be switched from one customer service guy to the next and after being on hold for a total of 1 1/2 hours they hung up on me. The last person who put me on hold said that he doesn't know what to do if a product is defective and he was going to put me on hold and find out. Phone got disconnected during my hold time and nobody bothered to call back. As if my defective computer would be magically fixed because I was passed around from one rep to the next. Tried getting back in touch with them only to get the voice response system that kept saying "sorry, I didn't understand that" and after me telling it over and over again that I want customer service I finally got a live person on the phone. That person also passed me off to another department and that voice mail said that they are only open M-F, as if the person who transferred me who works at Dell didn't know that! Then I call again and get another person who tells me the same thing and I ask to speak to manager. Some guy comes on the phone and says "sorry for the inconvenience" and that I have to call back Monday. Nobody cared that I was on the phone with them for over 2 hours at this point only to find out that I have to wait until Monday. I don't know what will happen on Monday but at this point I want to return this defective laptop and get my money back just so I never have to deal with such incompetent people again.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Hello Irina,

I am terribly sorry to hear you had so many issues. This is not indicative of our support. Regardless, you do not speak to our Customer Care for issues with your system. This is Technical Support's area of expertise and they are available 24/7. You appear to be more comfortable with online communication, so I would recommend reaching out to our Dellcares team for any further assistance. They can also help you get your speaker fixed under your Dell warranty. You can contact our Dell Cares Team on Twitter (@DellCares):

If you don't have a Twitter account, you can also go to Dell's Facebook Support Form: (A Facebook account is not required to use this form. You will be asked to provide your Name, service tag, email address and a brief description of the issue. )

I know they can get you fixed up in no time,
on December 9, 2012
The screen started to have vertical fuzzy lines and after a week, the screen showed a blank. It would work after shaking the laptop. However, the vertical lines would appear again after 10 minutes. I learned that the lcd crystal broke down. Eventually, the screen didn't show anything. Completely caput.
After calling the help desk (reaching them took me over 30 minutes), I learned that the warranty had expired a few months ago and to replace the screen, it would cost half of the amount I paid for initially to purchase this laptop.
I will never buy from DELL again. They sell cheap products that breaks down just after the warranty expires.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2012
I received the Dell Inspiron 15z with touch screen as a Christmas gift from my husband. While this laptop looks great on paper, the one I received had major, MAJOR issues. It was trouble right out of the box. Without warning, and quite randomly, it would shut down and reboot. I also had problems with the network card shutting itself down, knocking me off the internet. And when you're in the middle of purchasing plane tickets, that's not cool!

My husband, a computer guru, did every diagnostic test on the thing and just couldn't figure out what it's problem was. I called Dell, and after waiting 25 minutes on hold, the tech I spoke with had me do the f12 diagnostics (which my hubby already did). Since the scan would take a while, the tech hung up with me and said he'd call back within 2 hours to check on my progress. What a surprise, I never heard back from him. And btw, it passed all tests.

After another few days of trying to figure out what was wrong, my husband called Dell. He was transferred from one person to another, several times, and was then hung up on. He called right back and went through the same thing....passed from one person to the next. He asked several times to talk to management, but the tech would just transfer him to yet another tech. At this point major frustration had set in. We just wanted to send this stupid computer back and get our money back. But each tech kept asking the same questions....over and over. I think we now have the service tag number memorized! After 1 1/2 hours, my husband was told that we would have to call back the next day to get the Return Authorization number. What??? Why??? Apparently, we had spoken to so many techs that, they couldn't link our service tag number with the account. Whatever that means.

Soooo....I called back the next day and got the same run around.....passed onto tech after tech, got hung up on, called back again. I finally got ahold of someone I could actually understand (what's with all the outsourcing to India, anyway? SO frustrating when you can't understand what they're saying!!) Anyway, this guy wanted to go through all the PC's issues again. I had to get angry and just demand the RA#. I hate to get that way, but I'd probably still be on the phone had I not insisted.

I got the number and am now in the process of sending that piece of junk back. If I never have to deal with Dell again, it will be too soon! It's a shame, too. That laptop would be awesome if it actually worked. Do your homework. Had we done that, we would have read about all these issues. Currently looking at other companies.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Hi piano88,

I am very sorry to hear about your experience with the Dell Inspiron 15z and our Customer Service. I understand how frustrating it can be to deal with poor customer service.

It is always upsetting when you purchase a new laptop and it does not function as expected. Unfortunately, errors do occur and I acknowledge that we should have done a better job in correcting those erros. I sincerely apologize.

As a memeber of the Dell Social Media team, I strongly encourage you to try using one of our Online Support Teams for any technical concerns. It is a great alternative to phone support.

* Dell Community Forums - New to the Community:
* You can contact our Dell Cares Team on Twitter (@DellCares):
* If you don't have a Twitter account, you can also go to Dell's Facebook Support Form:

Feel free to reach out to us at anytime. I hope that we can improve on this experience.

on January 5, 2013
Bought a laptop from dell, since the last laptop we purchased from them 7 years ago we had loved along with dell's technical support.

Oh. My. God! Have things changed!!! We have had this new computer for less than a month and it wouldn't stay connected to our wireless Internet since day one, until finally last night it wouldn't connect at all! Upon trying to diagnose the problem, it turns out something is defective with the computers wifi driver.

Called customer support and have been on hold for 6 hours and my husband is still on hold at the time I am writing this! Not being able to understand their Indonesian (or whatever) accents is the least of your worries, because all you have to understand is that you are being transferred again and again! We keep getting transferred back and forth as it seems no one in "technical" support is equipped to handle "technical" issues. How nice. At one point I was transferred to customer support after asking for a manager and despite the recording for customer support stating they were open "7 days a week from 7am to 7pm" they were ironically "closed" and I was told to call back Monday and disconnected. So we called back again, only to get transferred around for several more hours and even had another person attempt to transfer us to customer support again after telling her that customer support was closed! At this point we are back on hold with the initial number that we originally called at 10 am this morning! (its almost 3pm now). This is effing ridiculous! I have never seen anything like this and I work for a phone center! I know they are suppose to tell you that there "isn't a manager" and try to resolve the issue on their own, but I'm starting to question if there even is anyone in the entire place that knows what's going on! Maybe a manager or two would solve these problems! And I am usually a very patient person. My advice?! Do. Not. Purchase. A. Dell. Seriously! They are not the company they used to be! As much as I try to buy partially American made... I'm telling you, anything is better than this company!!!! Seriously too bad, considering what they once were. They've lost me as a customer forever! And I plan to post this everywhere I can! I'm not a vindictive person by nature, but I do believe in trying to spare people what I had to learn the hard way. $600 later plus a protection plan and 6 hours and counting on hold is how they value my business! With this kind of customer resolution, this company deserves to find its bottom lines in the toilet! That's what you get when you outscource! You really do get what you pay for! Even when it comes to hourly wages apparently!

Ps. My husband just got transferred AGAIN!!!! Omfg!!!!!! Put me out of this misery!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)

We apologize that your experience with this computer was not perfect. As a return consumer I know what your expectations are and I certainly understand how frustrating it would be when you don't receive the right kind of service. We value your feedback and would like the opportunity to try and correct the issues. Apart from regular phone support, there are other ways to get in touch with us. I would highly advise that you reach out to our Online Social Media Support Teams as soon as possible. We recommend their services because of their success in resolving customer issues. Please reach out to them when you get a chance so that they can gather more details and look into this matter on your behalf.

* Online Support Teams Contact: Twitter - @DellCares (; Dell Community Forum (; Dell Facebook (

Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope we can turn this around for you and restore your faith in our products. Have a great day!
on January 2, 2013
I've had this for about a month, got it direct from Dell but with same specs and similar price as it's offered here. In this review I'll try to differentiate between comments on the computer itself and issues caused by Windows 8, but since I can't really review a computer without discussing the operating system, win8 inevitably affects the overall rating. A note about the 3 stars: I would probably give windows8 two stars by itself, and this computer running windows7 might have gotten 4 or even 5 stars for the reasons I'll explain below.
The pros: this is a solid everyday computer. Reboots and load times are quick, wireless connection is stable. I've run MS office suite, Matlab, and ArcGIS a fair amount, all with no hitches. Clearly not intended as a gaming PC but it handles Warcraft just fine with the addition of a wireless mouse and the screen looks good for both games and movies from various angles. It's not as cute/sexy as the Dell z-series (or certainly a Mac) but I think it looks pretty good with nice lines and some modern metallic touches and at 6 pounds it's no problem to carry anywhere.
The cons: A fair number mysterious reboots and updates both from Microsoft and Dell despite setting so that it is only supposed to do this at 3am. This is certainly not as bad as the horror of Vista and it seems a bit better recently but was pretty frustrating for the first few weeks. Two, windows 8 is just clearly not really intended to be run on this machine. It's probably best used with a touchscreen and probably least optimal with a touchpad mouse, and the main interface for this machine is...a touchpad mouse. You can read about reasons for this all over the web but basically they want you to use the OS more like a tablet or phone, flipping between different apps and screens. In my experience you really can't use this computer with the touch clicking/gesturing activated without opening new screens every time you move the mouse, so you'll need to switch it off. Easily done but if I have to lose functionality before I can use my computer, you lose a star. Third, this is probably my least favorite keyboard of computers I've used lately. Feels a bit mushy and awkward - this is very much personal preference, but if you're picky maybe check it out before you buy.
Overall: quite a capable computer, but really not designed for the OS installed on it. I knew going in that win8 would be a pain and decided to put up with it because I think this is where Operating Systems are headed and I'll have to leave the Desktop someday, but this would be a system running win7.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
J. Weatherford,

Thanks for taking the time to rate and review your Dell purchase. There are always going to be interesting moments when a new OS is introduced. Windows 8 is a very good OS, it just takes some getting used to. I am glad to hear the computer itself is working out well. Use the information below to contact us. The team members below will get you taken care of.
Please reach out to our Dell Support Team at:

* Dell Community Forums - New to the Community:
* You can contact our Dell Cares Team on Twitter (@DellCares):

Thank you.

on December 23, 2012
I have been using Dell desktops and laptops for almost 15 years. Thay are reliable and durable, which is why I bought this one (the touchpad is a bit sensitive, but I have always had this problem - uncompatible skin electrochemistry) . It is an excellent item except that Windows 8 really sucks. Get this laptop with Windows 7 if you can. Instead of making things more streamlined and efficient, Windows 8 is more cumbersome and less intuitive than any previous version. Just try to shut it down!!!!!! Windows 8 is just a marketing tool for the big retailers. MS probably gets a piece of the action if you visit these retailers from Windows 8.
on November 28, 2012
I've owned and used several different types of Dell computers over the years, mostly through work. I have always enjoyed them, especially for the battery life, speed, and durability. I received this one today after ordering for cyber Monday. All in all a superb, everyday laptop. I have an older model I bought around this time 2009 and it is still going strong. With a nice 15.6 high res display, decent processing speed as well as current tech memory, this machine is an excellent deal considering the list price for comparable units. This machine comes with Windows 8. If you like an app based system then you'll love this system. After I first read comments regarding 8, I was a bit cautious about purchasing this particular model. However, I was confident in my ability to be able to use 8 sight unseen. I made the right choice. With smart phones and tablets that use applications displayed using icons I guess it was the logical move for Microsoft. I think I read that this OS is designed for touch screen systems. Although this model doesn't have one, I still found maneuvering around the OS without issue. Anyways...enough about the OS. I went with this model because it had the best overall combination of specs. It's fast for how I've used it so far. We'll see when I start using more processor intensive programs. I'm looking forward to seeing the USB3.0 speeds when I plug in one of my compatible externals to transfer data between devices. I don't know how practical the lid switching thing will be for most people; if I'm going to buy accessories for the laptop it will be a newer model mouse or another HDMI cable etc... Catching this unit on sale during cyber Monday was definitely an added bonus. Nice sized track pad and sensitive, firm keys as well. Can't wait to dig in and see what more this machine can do. I do alot of ripping, burning, and dvd authoring. Oh yeah, so far all software programs like winamp vlc, 7zip, mozilla,etc... work just fine on Windows 8. At first I was very nervous about that, but no issues so far. For the price (perhaps wait till it goes back on sale to get an even better bargain) so far it is totally worth it.
on January 17, 2013
Bought this laptop for my kids (13 and 16 years old) to replace a 2 year old HP that was physically is faster than the 2 year old HP and my kids seem to like it...if they are not complaining that is good sign!!!
on December 25, 2012
It came as a true 21st century equipment. it had all the modern day features. All apps are in place. it is more than what I expected. It was worth the wait.