5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good!
Published on September 29, 2012 by C. Dittmer

2.0 out of 5 stars It has old parts and is very heavy
Published on November 28, 2012 by Jo

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good!, September 29, 2012
I bought this new laptop to replace my previous Dell, and it just arrived yesterday. So far, so good. I was able to set it up within minutes. Using the Windows File Transfer was awesome, too, even though it took a long time to get my settings and files over. There is not a whole lot of crap on this laptop as someone claimed, either. I was expecting a lot of junk on here when there isn't. My connection to WiFi is 5 bars which never, ever happened on the previous Dell. The speed is PRIMO! I'm extremely happy with this laptop. It has not lagged one time since I've been using it (and I have 3 browsers open at all times with 2 always logged in). My youngest daughter is happy, because she is now the owner of my other Dell since her Acer died on her. It's an Inspiron 1545 model that I bought in 2009 or 2010 and still going strong. I think Dell is the bomb :-) May this one last 10x longer :-)

Dell Inspiron i15R-2105PNK 15-Inch Laptop (Pink) UPDATE, Sep 30, 2012 5:42:08 AM PDT: Okay, let me update this after a few negative new discoveries. First off, no matter what I set this on, the screen saver does NOT come on. No matter what I set this on, it does not go to sleep while the lid is open like it is supposed to. I have changed the settings twice now, and it just doesn't matter :-( I'm not happy about this. Secondly, it runs HOT, HOT, HOT, HOT. I have a fan pointing towards that side, too, and it still is very hot to the touch. It's like the fan is NOT working to cool this off. My other Dell did NOT run hot at all. Thirdly, I see the price jacked up since I purchased this 9 days ago. I am so glad I bought it when I did, because I would NEVER pay $700 for it ($600 was bad enough)! I'm not happy with the it's performance right now at all, but I will keep trying the settings and see what happens. My main worry is how hot this runs :-(

Dell Inspiron i15R-2105PNK 15-Inch Laptop (Pink) UPDATE, Oct 12, 2012 7:48 PM CST: One more update, and I hope that's the end of this story. I woke this morning to find my laptop wouldn't function. Every file I had of .exe was defunct. It wouldn't even let me run a virus scan. It wouldn't even let me restore. It wouldn't even let the Dell tech connect to my network so he could get inside and see what was wrong. So, we had to end up doing a factory restore much to my dismay, because, of course, that would mean having to re-install all my files, programs, etc. I'm not finished as yet, but I must say this laptop must have been sick upon arrival. The graphics were absolutely horrible on here in comparison to my other Dell, the sound quality was horrible, and it ran extremely hot. Since the factory restore, the graphics are 1000 times better than before, the sound is 1000 times better than before, and it is NOT running hot...not even warm. This is a mystery, no doubt. I just hope that whatever went wrong this morning will never happen again. The Dell tech suggested I had dl'd a virus, but I beg to differ. In almost 21 years of being on line, I never have. I am one that keeps virus protection, updates it, and does not click on links when I have even an ounce of doubt about it. He could not explain how I could get a virus when my system was alseep. So, that's a mystery as well. Anyway, right this minute, I'm so happy with my laptop, but my fingers are crossed that doesn't change :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, November 19, 2012
I've had this laptop since Friday, and am pleased with nearly everything. The processor is fast and responsive. 8GB of RAM is definitely noticeable. I haven't noticed any lag or stuttering during any of my tasks. The hardware is well built and feels great, much lighter than it looks. The speakers are the only issue I've seen. They are loud, but are very tinny. Sound doesn't seem natural when watching a movie.

The biggest issue is the amount of bloat Dell puts in their software. I'm not a fan of game or software demos, and there are a lot on this laptop. There is even a dedicated button to launch the game service in the top right corner. With the terabyte hard drive, these programs likely won't be noticed, but still an inconvenience to mention.

For this price, the value is obvious. I would recommend this to anyone who needs a new laptop.

2.0 out of 5 stars It has old parts and is very heavy, November 28, 2012
If I had not been that I was in need of a replacement laptop I would not have made this purchase. I should have listen to my gut feeling and canceled this order. The screen is nice but that is all the good that I can say about the machine. Considering that it has 8 GB DDR it really isn't that fast. I was going to upgrade to and Hybrid drive like with my old machine that would give me the small SSD and a 7200 rmp drive but after checking with dell this machine as an old connection for the hard drive so of course the only place I could find a hard drive was with Dell and it wasn't any better that what is it. The track pad is a pain because if you touch it while typing you are all over the place. This machines weight is almost 10 lbs not something I can have sitting on my lap as what a laptop is made to do. Yes they use to be even heavier but now anything over 5lb seems a little outdated. Yes. I should have done even more research and trusted my gut. The worst part was that within 30 days the price dropped over 150 dollars and Amazon does not have what a lot of the sites have that if it's lower within 30 days they will refund you. That's not the computers flaw but all the other are. Never a Dell again. We had XPS and they were junk and Dell did not stand behind the problems. Lesson learned even if you need a new computer really bad and you are still unsure. Stay unsure and get what will work for you and not be sorry. Lucky Lenovo's direct site had a fantastic sale over the Black Friday weekend sale and got a better laptop and someone else is going to take this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only Minor Complaints, November 30, 2012
Picked this particular Dell laptop over a similarly-priced Sony because this one had a slightly better processor, more RAM, and a larger HDD. The Dell was about $50 more, but in my mind that's a no-brainer. Another bonus is that this model came with Windows 7, and not Windows 8. Like any Microsoft Operating System release, I'm not even considering the newest one until there is a Service Pack 1 update available. This model sports an Intel Core i5 processor. I've found that the main difference between i5 and i7 is Hyperthreading support. If you don't plan on running applications that will take advantage of Hyperthreading, there's not much sense in spending the extra cash for the i7 processor.

Display is nice and large and the laptop didn't have too much preloaded software. Dell includes a nice utility to register the laptop, and even better, automatically uninstalls the registration utility when it's finished. It was a simple matter to uninstall the remaining items I didn't want before adding my own anti-virus and Office software.

The main complaints I have are the lack of a USB 3.0 interface, no backlit keyboard, and a simply huge touchpad. I'm not kidding about the touchpad - it's so large that I keep hitting it with the palm of my right hand. I suppose I will get used to it, but I still can't figure out why anyne would need a touchpad that large.

There have been no signs of heat issues as reported by a couple of other users. Perhaps defective processor fans? Anyway, I'm happy with the purchase so far and will update the review if any negative points develop.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply made, unless that's how they come nowadays., December 4, 2012
This review is from: Dell Inspiron i15R-2105BLU 15-Inch Laptop (Blue) (Personal Computers)
I was so excited to find a computer with what seemed to be all the bells and whistles AND a cheap upgrade to Windows 8. So, I bought two, one for me, and one for my college bound student. However, I guess there has to be a reason this style Dell Inspiron i15R was a deal. Cheaply made cannot even begin to describe this laptop. I have had Dell after Dell and love them, but this one gave me pause. I plugged mine in and went through the initial setup with a keyboard that moves when you depress the keys and with a very sluggish touchpad with it mostly not functioning. The lid bends easily, and the hinges are extremely stiff; so much so that lifting the lid causes it to lift the whole laptop AND skew the lid. It must be from the removeable cover is all I can guess. I shut it down after trying to see if I could improve the touchpad performance, but to no avail. This morning I turned it on and found that the touchpad only worked about 40% of the time, leaving me in a delimma as to whether it was me, how this particular model responded, or whether it was just no good straight from the box. I decided it had to be a defective machine and that since I had not opened the other one, I'd box them both and return them. Now we'll see how understanding Amazon is about their restocking fee (15%) because the computer was not "dead on arrival", but may as well have been considering the touchpad was virtually useless. I would not waste my money on this laptop unless it sits on your desk, open, and you have a wireless keyboard/mouse to use.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Dec 12, 2012 4:37:20 AM PST
DellTeam says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Connie T. Doss,

We apologize that your out of box experience with the Inspiron 15R was not perfect. As a return Dell consumer I know what your expectations are. We really do appreciate the comments that you had about this system. It's a great service to us here at Dell when our customers give us the type of feedback that you have in this review. The Inspiron 15R is a new product for Dell and with many new products there is always a bit of growing pains and we help alleviate those pains with great input from our consumers. We would like the opportunity to try and correct the issues.

I encourage you to reach out to one of our online Social Media Support Teams as soon as possible because they can identify the best solution for you.

* Dell Community Forums - New to the Community: http://dell.to/GY65Xz
* You can contact our Dell Cares Team on Twitter (@DellCares): http://bit.ly/Hhh2SQ
* If you don't have a Twitter account, you can also go to Dell's Facebook Support Form: http://bit.ly/HlJ9LZ
A Facebook account is not required to use this form. You will be asked to provide your Name, service tag, email address and a brief description of the issue.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience!
VikramNforDell

2.0 out of 5 stars Screen going black on startup, January 24, 2014
Bought the new Dell Inspiron i15R-2105sLV 15-Inch Laptop in July, 2013 for my daughter in grad school. She now reports that sometimes on startup the screen goes black and is not responsive to the keyboard. She was able to reboot and the screen worked again. Googling this topic indicates that this problem is not unknown and may be the result of LCD faulty part. I will try to get her to contact Dell.

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems not resolved, November 21, 2013
Continuing problems with battery charging. Erratic. Screen separating from frame. Customer service expects me to detach charging cord each time battery is not charging. Doesn't that mean something is wrong with it since this is my third laptop and I have never had to do this before?

1.0 out of 5 stars this machine from Dell is junk --- lots of performance issues, October 7, 2013
this machine from Dell is junk --- lots of performance issues --- viruses flow-in in abundance -- does not come with a Operating System disk ---- may have to reformat the hard drive and reload the entire Windows Operating System -- this is my daughter's laptop I bought last year --- still under 1 year warranty but unable to resolve virus issues -- the browser freezes up -- lots of pop ups -- lots of speed related issues -- performance is very very slow --

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working, May 2, 2013
The Dell Inspiron Laptop I bought for about $800 only lasted a little more than 2 years. The laptop was used in place on a desktop the whole time; so the reason for the failure is not on account of rough usage. Btw, the disk drive was not easily removeable as it is in other laptops. The service department was not very helpful. The features of the machine is fine, but the hardware quality is poor. Repairing it would have cost as much as to buy a machine with comparable features. I would not recommend buying it unless keep buying the extended warranty. Remember to include it in your total price when you buy a Dell product.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars WiFi is NOT WORKING!!!, December 5, 2012
I have a few dell laptops and was always happy with them. This model has a major WiFi issue. The first i15R I bought had a WiFi issue, after a few hours with dell support they suspected a HW issue and I returned it. I ordered a second one, but this one has a similar WiFi issue.
When disable/enable the Wireless Network adapter the enable is stuck.
I cannot recommend this model.
After a few hacks in the WiFi properties I am able to connect to my router with the new laptop (the first one had a HW issue). My router is Netgear WNDR3400 and is configured with WEP - For the dell support guys.
I disabled 802.11n mode (even though my router supports 11n), and changed Roaming aggressiveness to lowest.
I changed the rate to 3 stars, since I do not think that this should occur with the factory default out of box product.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Dec 7, 2012 12:07:25 PM PST
DellTeam says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Hi Shiri,

Sorry about the Wi-Fi issue on this machine . I am surprised to know that this is the first issue with Wi-Fi on this machine.
We value your feedback and I will pass this message to our product team .

If you have unresolved issues , please reach us out in Dell support team for further assistance . They will be able to check and see the best they can do to help you . You can reach them in any one of the contacts:-

Twitter @DellCares - http://bitly.com/P5W1OT
Facebook - http://bit.ly/HlJ9LZ
Or join the conversation with experts in Dell Community Forum - http://dell.to/GY65Xz

Thank you for choosing Dell !
SilangchiSforDell