Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on March 4, 2014
I bought this computer because it was the best value that I can find! $650 for a fast i5 processor, 6 GB of RAM, a touchscreen, and a hybrid SSD/HDD drive is absolutely amazing. It is a little thicker than typical ultrabooks, but that is OK with me especially since it has more connection ports (4 USB 3.0, Ethernet Port, full-sized HDMI port, media card reader, and even an optical drive).

NOTE: The computer I received does not have a second (mini) HDMI port as described above, but it does have an Ethernet port.

I was deciding between the Inspiron 15z and a Macbook Air, and I am glad that I went with this computer and saved some money. For being $450 cheaper, the Inspiron 15z has the same Core i5 processor and even more RAM (6 GB compared to 4 GB). I can also see how the Macbook Air would have connectivity issues with only 2 USB ports.

PROS:
-I have not encountered a single bug (computer freezing, touchpad/touchscreen issues, software issues, etc) since receiving the computer a few days ago.
-The body of the computer is very sleek and is made of aluminum with a plastic underbelly. The backlit keyboard looks great and feels great.
-The SSD drive is absolutely amazing... the computer takes 10-15 seconds to boot.
-The factory speakers are pretty good for laptop speakers and are manufactured by Skullcandy. They can get pretty loud, which is a plus because I have had issues with previous laptops and not being able to hear clearly.

CONS:
-The touchscreen is pretty glossy and reflects some background light which obstructs the screen when viewing at certain angles. Though this is less of an issue when the screen is set to max brightness.
-As someone else mentioned, the integrated webcam is not too great.
on February 26, 2014
I've had this computer for almost a year now, and it is the best computer I have ever had. I have, through my own clumsiness, subjected it to rigorous tests, such as causing it to fall off of my bed. Not impressed? My bed is about 3-4 feet off of the ground. I am 5'7, and I need a step stool to get up to it. It survived THAT, plus many other falls, and if anything comes out of place, it snaps right back into where it ought to go. Now tell me, can your MacBook Pro do that?!
One note, though: they don't really make cases shaped for this computer, as its measurements are not common. Either buy a 16" case that'll be a bit too big in one dimension, or make your own if you are a capable sewer.

TL:DR The thing is a tank, can survive falls that could break a human, let alone a computer, but it's a bit wide for its height. If you buy it, you will have made the best decision of your life. Have a nice day :)
on February 11, 2014
Excellent performance, lightweight, good screen image, well priced with lots of features.. As an IT Tech, I have bought several
of these laptops for my clients over time, and each client has always been very satisfied.. Plus, it comes with Dell's immediate phone or next day tech support should you need it; no delays as with most other brands..
on December 11, 2015
I light the lit up keyboard, the touch screen is just the right amount of sensitivity for me by default, and I like that it doesn't have a number pad. I do more typing than calculating and the num pad just puts everything off center. It also has good enough graphics and power as is out of the box to play World of Warcraft. I also have Visio, Visual studio, MySQL Server, Brackets, and other intermediate design/coding software. That said, it gets hot if you're gaming on it for more than a few hours. That's fine for me though. I don't play more than an hour or two at a time. On normal use without gaming, it gets pretty warm, but not hot. I haven't had any issues with it yet and have had it for 1.5 years. I almost always have it plugged in while I'm using it rather than relying on the battery. It lasts for a few hours as it should, but it does drain while in sleep mode. Since I basically never turn it off, I have to keep it plugged in to stay in sleep mode.
on March 29, 2014
Impressed with the all round performance, for the price dell did put a great product together. Really dont have much to complain about but a lil more battery life would have been good, plus its kinda a lil heavy otherwise, great look and very good product.
on May 13, 2014
This is an excellent laptop. It's fast and satisfies my needs, as I had carefully chosen its features to provide what I wanted. The non-removable battery is not so stellar, though. Seems to run out in only 2-3 hours, tops. I wanted to get a second, supplemental battery but as I said, this isn't the kind of laptop where the battery is removable. I can get another battery of the same kind, take apart the unit, and replace the battery. However, since the battery is currently new, another battery won't provide any better performance.

The laptop has a DVD optical drive, not a Blu-ray (for those interested in playing Blu-rays). I also wasn't as impressed by the hybrid drive as I expected. If you want a faster drive, I'd recommend an SSD. If not, save your money and get a plain HDD. Hybrids don't really make enough of a difference to justify the price. As I mentioned, though, the speed is adequate for my needs. (I use the laptop only for MS Office, paperwork, Internet browsing, listening to music, ripping my CDs, reading, and playing DVDs. I'm not a gamer.)

The 6 GB RAM is sufficient for all my needs. Love the touch screen, as this is my first laptop with such a feature. Screen resolution is great, and it's nice and wide. 500 GB hard drive is large enough for me, as I can always store additional files on memory sticks, USB drives, and/or CompactFlash cards. (Yes, it has a CF card slot.) The 4 USB ports, HDMI port, CF card slot, network cable port, and headphone jack are pretty much all I need.

It has a built-in microphone and no microphone jack, so I bought a USB headset with microphone for recording (from Target down the street). Works perfectly. Wireless Internet access is smooth. Speakers are great -- and the nice, equalized sound of music and videos over headphones is particularly impressive. I'm enjoying Windows 8.1, since this is my first time playing with it.

Haven't done much with the webcam and can't really comment on it.

As far as size and weight goes, just be aware that this isn't a light laptop like you'd expect an "Ultrabook" to be. It's as heavy as a standard model (and probably as heavy as the heaviest these days). That doesn't much concern me, though, because I don't often move it around, and I'm used to carrying a backpack with books.

Overall, I'm satisfied with this new unit. I'll be using it for years.
on April 29, 2016
I purchased the Dell Ultrabook in March, 2014 and have had no problems with it, would purchase again. I was against getting a laptop because I have always had a desktop/tower but I love this computer, I am not computer savvy but I can easily maneuver through it and find everything I need. I did find that since I am having to make resumes up that I wish it had Microsoft Office but will find another option. I only have good things to say about this laptop, 2 years old now and going strong, it is used on a daily basis.Dell Inspiron 15z Ultrabook with Touch Screen/ Intel Core i5 3337U / 6GB RAM / 500GB HDD + 32GB SSD / backlit keyboard / Intel HD 4000 / 6 cell battery / webcam / WiFi / HDMI / Bluetooth / Windows 8 / Moon Silver
on October 3, 2014
Nice laptop but pay attention to previous reviews regarding WiFi; You constantly need to troubleshoot WiFi connectivity and it resets the WiFi adapter. I have tried numerous fixes and network upgrades to no avail. Other than that it works fine.
on November 15, 2014
I have this ultrabook for a while so I can give it a fair review. The worst part of this laptop is where the battery is located. You have to take the entire computer apart in order to reseat the battery that jogs loose. The laptop blacks out when the battery is not connected and this happens frequently. You need several tools and it is a very tedious operation. It is very easy to damage the delicate wiring that connects various components. If this laptop had a battery that had external access I would have given it more stars. If you do not like playing the game of "Operation" and picking off all of the rubber inserts, stay away from these Dells that have internal batteries! Otherwise the computer works well. It is not super fast, kind of a bummer as I thought the Intel I5 would be, but I do not use it for gaming. I like the lighted keyboard. The DVD is flimsy but operates. The ram has an access door? Once again, I will not buy another laptop with an internal no access battery, BIG mistake and lesson learned. I had Gateways before Acer bought them an the quality went way down. This is my first Dell, maybe my last unless the next one has a snap on battery.
on May 26, 2014
Although, its weight does not seem to support the "Ultrabook" ideal, it does have a thin profile with the benefits of many extras. The backlit keyboard is a must for me and the Dell is the best I've seen. If you are looking for an Ultrabook to carry around from meeting to meeting, this may not be your best choice. However, if you are looking for a thin quality laptop with touch screen and backlit keyboard, it is worth checking out the Inspiron 15Z.