5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Value
Model Reviewed: i17RV-818BLK

Published 11 months ago by Ashley

3.0 out of 5 stars Dell Inspiron 17 i17RV-818BLK 17.3-Inch Laptop
It is okay, but I am disappointed because I wanted Windows 7, because not being computer literate Window 8 is hard for
me to work with. Ihave trouble and I contact my Granddaughter to findout what to do. Unless a person is computer smart
I suggest they stay with Window7.

Jerry ferguson
Published 7 months ago by Jerry A. Ferguson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Value, September 2, 2013
This review is from: Dell Inspiron 17 i17RV-818BLK 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black Matte with Textured Finish) (Personal Computers)
Model Reviewed: i17RV-818BLK

I purchased this laptop when it was on sale for 399.99 on the Back to School promotion. Primarily if you are looking at this model you are interested in the 17.3" screen size at the cheapest price possible without moving down to the Pentium line. This laptop comes with the i3 3227U CPU which has 2 physical cores and 2 virtual cores with no support for dynamic overclocking (Turbo Boost) clocked at 1.9Ghz.

First, unless you can deal with the horrible load times I would suggest any SSD you can aquire such as Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE120BW. If you need more space for whatever reason you should get a cheap aftermarket 2.5" HD enclosure to supplement file storage. I would recommend just putting the HD that came with the laptop in this: SANOXY® 2.5" USB 2.0 SATA Hard Drive HDD Case Enclosure. Secondly this laptop only comes with 1 4GB DIMM, and you should purchase a cheap 4GB SODIMM DDR3 1600 CL11 module. This significanly increases performance esspecially if you are going to be doing any light gaming. Here is a suggestion Crucial 4GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Notebook Memory Module CT51264BF160B but any 4GB DDR3 1600 CL11 SODIMM will work.

With the minor upgrades out of the way, we can take a look at this laptop. The screen measures 17.3" and is a TN panel 1600x900 which has the same flaws any TN panel would have (poor viewing angles). The hinges are very tight, you have to hold the base down to open the screen which is a good thing in my opinion. The laptop has a more solid feel than other sub 500 dollar models out there. This may be because of the textured plastic being thicker but it is noticable, the textured plastic prevents fingerprints and scratches.

Customers have access to the underside in which the WiFi, HDD, and Memory can be upgraded if needed. The laptop comes with 2 memory slots with one being populated. The keyboard is not backlit, but the keys seem to be between a macbook and older springy ones. I own a Retina MacBook Pro 15" and the keys are similar, so Dell has come a long way from an older Studio 15 (1557) model I had. Those keys would fall off easily and felt terrible to type on.

Comes with 4 USB ports 2 of which are USB3.0, the only cavet here is that they are not color coded. It is nigh impossible to tell other than the small icon above with SuperSpeed listed.

With the iGPU (Intel HD4000) you can play World of Warcraft on Medium settings at 1600x900 averaging 30fps. Turning off shadows, SSAO and using low particles, low water maxing out View distance, textures, etc. dramatically increases framerates. 60+ in 5 mans 40+/- in capital cities. Torchlight & Torchlight II can be maxed out with the exception of shadows at native resolution. Diablo III does not perform that well for me, even at the lowest settings there are times when it will drop below 30fps.

The laptop never gets too hot to touch and even while running Intel Extreme Burning Utility or running loops of Heaven 2.0 it can sit comfortably in your lap.

Highs:

Good price for a 17" laptop with i3 (399.99)

Lows:

You should probably consider a SSD and memory upgrade.

Notes:

- ALL gaming tests were done with 2 sticks of memory, with just single channel memory that the laptop shipped with you will probably not be satisfied with any games that these types of laptops usually play.
- Amazon states that this is a 1366x768 screen which is incorrect, all 17" Inspirons ship with 1600x900 TN panels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Laptop, October 20, 2013
I am really impressed with the build quality of this Dell laptop. It has a very bright and clear screen and the keyboard and touch pad are very good. I added 4 GB of RAM to bring it up to 8 total and it speeds through most applications. It is not meant for any serious gaming and for the price, you should not expect that. I have owned two Dell desktops, but never a laptop. I figured for $399 and another $30 for the RAM, I'd give it a shot. I could not be happier with this computer and I recommend it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars 17" Dell Laptop, September 12, 2013
purchased this for my son, he loves it. just wish it had a real manual with it. didn't come with any instructions. but it works nicely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good machine, but it's too wide for me., March 14, 2014
I thought I'd like a bigger screen, but I really only needed a 15 or 16 inch monitor. This 17.3 size is hard to fit in bags.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dell Inspiron 17 i17RV-818BLK 17.3-Inch Laptop, December 27, 2013
I suggest they stay with Window7.

Jerry ferguson

5.0 out of 5 stars Laptop computer, October 15, 2013
I had another brand before and just never got to appreciate it. I like this Dell very much. My husband recommended Dell as he has had his for sometime. I would recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Computer is fine, May 12, 2014
I like the computer. I only use it for the internet, watching movies and such. Not for sure if it is good for playing games but if you want a computer with a large screen that does the basics this is a great buy. I don't like the Windows 8 that comes with it but computer is fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2 weeks so far and pretty happy, February 7, 2014
Given that Amazon reviews have been very helpful to me over the years, I thought I would pay it forward today. I have been using a Dell Inspiron 1420 for just about 6 years now, and although it was relegated to being the "kitchen" computer after I got in on the wonderful Asus N53SM-ES72 find in July 2012 just before it was discontinued (thanks again to Amazon reviews), it started to give me occasional BSDs for "hardware equipment error" the last couple of months. I decided I had better find a replacement machine pronto just in case it had a final fatal crash before I could transfer all my files, photos and IE favorites.....or have the time to actually figure out and fix the problem. Once again, Amazon reviews caught my eye for this machine and since I didn't want to invest another $900 for what is only used as a convenience/hobby computer, this seemed like the right buy. After all, I had 6 good years out of a Dell product......I also think they have a pretty good user website.

The supplier Amazon ships these from was timely......I think it was delivered 3rd day after day of order. The black matte textured hard plastic might appear slightly industrial/military (even moreso than old IBM thinkpads), but it seems durable too. It does show fingerprints if your hands are not pristine, but windex and a paper towel cleans it up quickly. The chicklet keyboard looks a bit old school, but the plastic surround looks like it should keep dirt and debris from getting around and under the keys. It seems to require a bit more finger pressure to type than the metallic keyboard on the old 1420, but since that old keyboard had to be replaced once during the 6 years, I am happy to try this new keyboard construction for hopefully better durablility.

The downside to the construction is that given the width of the screen and the 6 1/2 lb weight, this probably wouldn't have been my choice if I had to lug the thing around all day. But since I use it as a readily storable "desktop", more cumbersome than a lightweight is not an issue for me.

I know the processor is not high end, but it booted up fairly fast outof the box.......probably 15 secs to get the lock screen and another 20 secs to get to the now infamous Win8 start screen (assuming password typing). Since then, I have swapped in an SSD and disabled the lock screen, so I'm down to 20 (sorry, but I have an unexplainable impatience over boot time).

As for the transition to Win8 (although I immediately upgraded to 8.1 after initial set-up), I think you just ought to think of the start screen as the "app" screen on the IPad or Iphone. Use it for emails or launching IE, but otherwise, just click the desktop tile and you get to a more familiar look where your regular purchased software sits. I probably would have stayed with this Win8 set-up except for when I started to look to run some commands and do some preference settings. At that point, some frustration did set in and I downloaded the "Classic" software discussed in other review/comments. It downloaded in mere seconds and now I am looking at pretty much the Win7 desktop and menus.......and getting around the inside of the system much more effectively.

Obviously, 2 weeks of playing around is not a gauge of long term performance or reliability, but I have some confidence in Dell based on my 6 years with the 1420. So, yes, so far so good, no remorse over the selection of this model.

UPDATE AT 4-22-14: Dell machine has been working fine until one evening it gave me a screen warning not to shutdown until Windows update had finished........so I just walked away from the machine and went to bed. The next morning when I tried to "awaken" the screen the desktop would start to load up for about 5 seconds with programs and toolbars, but then blink and try to start the loading all over again. It became a never-ending loop. I am thinking it was a Windows update (software) error and fortunately, MS tech customer service has agreed to help me reload Windows from scratch. More when I know it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop for the price, January 19, 2014
For the price, its a great value. Love the wide screen and the keyboard feels great too. The only downside is the mouse buttons seem to be too hard, you really have to "CLICK" to make them work. But now I use an external mouse and so no longer a problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars hating the apps not easy to work through, December 18, 2013
Pain working with these apps not liking It much at all. IT IS VERY .frustating to say the least. Boo!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›