4.0 out of 5 stars Limited upgradeability, but runs ice cold and silent
Dell Inspiron 620 Mini-Tower

I ordered my Dell Inspiron 620 via Dell using a discount code, which ended up shipping out a pre-built unit. My particular 620 came equipped with the following:

Intel Core i3-2120 (Dual-core 3.3 GHz, Hyperthreaded) Sandybridge
4GB of DDR3/1333 RAM (Kingston 2GB x2)
Onboard integrated Intel HD2000 graphics (part...
Published on April 7, 2012 by Gearhead Mania

1.0 out of 5 stars Who ever priced this PC is not all there this ...
Who ever priced this PC is not all there this PC does not come close to 10K plus should not be selling products at all thisPC is about 400 dollars Billyttt 10k
Published 5 months ago by David

4.0 out of 5 stars Limited upgradeability, but runs ice cold and silent, April 7, 2012
This review is from: Dell Inspiron i620-1298BK Desktop (3.3GHz Intel Core i3-2120 Processor, 6GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium) Black (Personal Computers)
Dell Inspiron 620 Mini-Tower

Intel Core i3-2120 (Dual-core 3.3 GHz, Hyperthreaded) Sandybridge
4GB of DDR3/1333 RAM (Kingston 2GB x2)
Onboard integrated Intel HD2000 graphics (part of the Core i3-2120 processor)
1TB Seagate 7200 RPM HD (has NCQ)
Samsung DVD burner
Dell 1520 Wi-Fi PCIe network card
Onboard 5.1 audio

The entire Inspiron 620 is built using standardized components. The motherboard and power supply units are ATX form-factor, which is a really good thing compared to Dell's older models that used proprietary power supplies. The PSU is only capable of 300W, so you are limited to an AMD Radeon HD 6670 graphics card if you choose to upgrade. There's one 16 lane PCIe 2.0 slot, so Crossfire or SLI is out of the question unless you upgrade the motherboard.

Speaking of upgrading, if you plan to do something serious, I recommend SKIPPING the 620. Upgrading the power supply and motherboard can get expensive unless you want to keep using the 620 in the future to avoid buying new components. If you just purchased the 620, the only things you should consider upgrading might be the graphics card and more RAM. Since there are only 2 memory slots, you can only upgrade to 8GB of DDR3. A Core i5-2500K should also fit, which gives you quad-core capability and an Intel HD3000 graphics card.

Now if you want a HD 6870 GPU and more than 8GB of RAM, the 620 is not for you. Might as well build a new gaming rig for a few hundred dollars more. For non-gaming, the 620 is a really good deal. I tried spec'ing out a HTPC build and could not beat Dell's special pricing for its 620.

Unfortunately, the Intel graphics are horrible. Most LCD TVs will overscan, and lots of 720P videos start to produce nasty artifacts. There's also an issue with Intel graphics playing movies at 23.97 fps for some reason. I had issues watching MotoGP videos on their website in 720P HD. I solved the problem by purchasing an AMD Radeon HD 6450 GPU. It also solved the overscan problem.

The new 2nd generation Core i3 is really good, Windows 7 64-bit blazes through the boot up process and all of my apps are loading up quick. The front-mounted SD card slot and 2 USB ports make it convenient to share photographs. The DVD is standard Samsung fare, which is very good for the price. The sound quality is acceptable, but I use my HDMI port for lossless audio and video to the LCD TV, so the audio actually comes from the GPU and not the Conexant onboard.

The PCIe card latch mechanism is the weakest part of the Inspiron 620 design. Although convenient, there's an incredible amount of flex needed to unlatch the retention mechanism. I'd imagine that it would break in the future. This is the big latch that holds all of the PCIe cards to the chassis in lieu of individual screws.

The overall construction (aside from the card retention latch) is very solid but plain. Dell even uses adhesive rubber dampers for the hard drive mount to cut down on vibration.

There's no AHCI support, and for some reason the H61 chipset (Intel 6-series) does not recognize any of Intel's AHCI drivers. I also read that the H61 does not support RAID, so again, if you want to do something serious, skip on the 620 and consider building your own rig.

There's also no heatsink for the Southbridge. Computer nerds like myself will notice this first, because the naked die is exposed. Doing a Google search shows people have complained about this since July 2011, so it is safe to reason that the lack of a heatsink is intended probably for cost savings. I did not try and touch the Southbridge to see if it runs hot, but all of the aftermarket motherboards for LGA1154/1155 have a Southbridge heatsink.

So as it stands, the only upgrade I have performed is the installation of a Radeon HD 6450. I chose this card due to its price, and because I just needed it for watching HD movies. The onboard Intel HD2000 was a 95% solution, and unfortunately the 5% is what I needed it to do. Watching MotoGP in HD with the HD2000 was not suitable, and even the HD3000 suffers the same problem. The HD 6450 also uses a heatsink without a fan, so the silence is golden. By the way, the Inspiron 620 runs ICE COLD and SILENT. I can barely hear it running, and even in a stuffy cabinet under the TV, it barely produces any heat. At idle, it consumes a paltry 50W, and under full load, it consumes a maximum of 105-120W of power. I did a fresh clean install of Windows 7 64-bit, and that is about it. It comes with Windows 7 Home Premium, which is perfectly fine for the 620's limited capabilities. Go with the 64-bit Pro if you intend to use more than 16GB of RAM.

Overall: 4/5 stars. Very limited upgradeability - 300W PSU, 2 DDR3 RAM slots, no AHCI support with the H61 chipset, possibly no RAID support. Want faster graphics? Get a bigger PSU first. Runs cold and silent, perfect HTPC rig or entry-level PC for beginners to intermediate users.

I bought the 620 to be used solely as a HTPC (Home Theater PC), and it does the job extremely well. I also evaluated it as a general purpose computer, and it does the job with flying colors. I'd estimate the service life to be at least 5 years, so if you want a general purpose computer that won't go obsolete in 5 years, the 620 is good to go. PCIe is going to be around for a few more years, SATA drives are the de facto standard, and 4GB of RAM has been more than enough for the past 10 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars DECISIONS, DECISIONS, DECISIONS........, February 26, 2012
,.....but, went w/ Dell having owned a number of them over the years and not caring to bite the
Apple fruit bullets for nearly $1,800 for one of their units! CR rates the lower end Dells as excellent buys for those of us who are IT challenged most of the time, to which I readily admit!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great computer with minor flaws, July 6, 2012
This is a really excellent computer for the price, I would have given it 5 stars, but there are a couple of flaws that made it only 4.
Pros:
1) 6 GIG RAM, 500 GIG hard drive, 3.3 processor--i3 dual core--this thing is fast, it boots in 30 seconds and is ready to do anything about 30 seconds later.
2) It's a Dell--you can laugh all you like, but I have a Dell Dimension 2400 that is 8 years old and the only reason I replaced it was because I couldn't upgrade the memory anymore. Otherwise it runs great and it will still be used, just not for my home business.
3) Built in wireless connectivity--it will connect to your wireless hub with no problem, but see below for the two minor, easily correctable flaws to this.

Cons:
1) It comes preloaded with McAffee, which if you have a wireless home network is a major issue. While the 1st time you boot it up it will connect to the internet, once you shut it down, McAffee will no longer recognize your home network. I had this same problem previously when I took the free McAffee from my ISP and there doesn't seem to be any work around. Just don't install McAffee, download and install the free Microsoft Security Essentials software that is available for Windows 7. It works, doesn't eat up a ton of memory and it's free.
2) There are no real instructions in this box, just a diagram. While the computer is very easy to connect up, if you have this one, with the wireless, you will find a small package with what looks like two sticks in it and a product number. But nothing to tell you what it is for or what to do with it. As it turns out, they are extremely important items. Do not throw them away. They are the antenna for your wireless. They need to get connected on the back of the computer or else your wireless signal will be poor. I found this out when I called Dell to discuss why I was still having an internet issue after I removed McAffee. Once you can download the manual from the Dell website, then you will be able to see the information on the anteenna.
3) Lots of useless software on here that you'll probably want to get rid of, but almost nothing that starts automatically, so it doesn't really interfere with basic operations.
4) It does not come with a recovery disc. You have to make it yourself or else hope you can get one from Dell if you need it.

So my reason for the loss of the 1 star is because of the the minor cons, especially the lack of instructions about the antenna. Otherwise this computer is fabulous.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, May 19, 2012
For the price ($499) plus free shipping from Amazon this is a great value desktop PC. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Windows Experience Index rated this computer's processor at 7.1 and RAM at 7.2. Gaming graphics got a score of 6.1 once I installed a cheap $40 Radeon HD 6450 (I don't know the default rating or what it would have been with the on-board graphics card) and the Desktop Performance For Windows Aero was rated a 4.5 (which honestly I couldn't care less, being that I have Windows 7 configured like classic Windows 98 gui interface). Hard disk at 5.9

So pretty decent specs for the money. I can play Flight Simulator X with the newest PMDG 737NGX addon and graphics max out on highest resolution with 15-20 fps on average.... that might not seem like a lot, but sims don't need as much raw fps as FPS. So for a budget PC, it does games pretty well. Crysis I can play on medium settings.

I'm in a high ambient temp environment and even then the idle temps are pretty low... so this computer is cool, and it is pretty quiet (I wouldn't call it silent)

As per the usual, there are a ton of junk software that comes packaged with this machine and be prepared to spend half a day removing all the crap and streamlining your OS.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great deal!, October 9, 2013
I've been buying Dell computers since 1995 and was amazed to find one on Amazon that wasn't much more expensive than buying direct from Dell. I no longer do all the things I used to do on the computer so I was just looking for something fast and inexpensive to go online and also to read. This was perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, June 22, 2013
This Dell Inspiron i620-1298BK Desktop is an excellent product. It is very useful and run fast. I love it for fine

4.0 out of 5 stars Dell is better than HP, February 19, 2013
I have purchased many HP computers and printers over 20+ years. I have seen a measurable decrease in HP over this time. I finally gave up on HP a few months ago and purchased this Dell to replace an almost new HP PC for my office. I have built several computers over the years and have a strange fascination for computer part. So when I purchase a pre-fab computer, I always crack open the cases and evaluate the internals. This Dell uses better parts than the HP's I have in service.

For my office, I just need computers that work well and consistently. This means solid components. When I purchase another pre-fab (probably when another HP has a premature death) I will most likely by a Dell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Desktop, December 1, 2012
Excellent choice. Price is right, workmanship is right, easy set up, easy to add-on. This workstation is perfect for home. Slots in front easily accessible; just the right connections on the back of the workstation. Quiet.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
4.0 out of 5 stars very nice, September 1, 2012
Dell Inspiron i620-1298BK Desktop
very quiet and fast. But it would not load windows two different times and it had to run Startup Repair both times. I don't know what that is about.But it is good right now. If it does it again I will have to call Dell.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Sep 24, 2012 7:09:53 PM PDT
DellTeam says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Fred,

Thanks for the purchase of the Inspiron desktop. Sorry to hear about your issue with the software. Reach out to us. Use the information below if you need to contact us for anything. The team members below will get you taken care of.
Please reach out to our Dell Support Team at:

* Dell Community Forums - New to the Community: http://dell.to/GY65Xz
* You can contact our Dell Cares Team on Twitter (@DellCares): http://bit.ly/Hhh2SQ
* If you don't have a Twitter account, you can also go to Dell's Facebook Support Form: http://bit.ly/HlJ9LZ
A Facebook account is not required to use this form. You will be asked to provide your Name, service tag, email address and a brief description of the issue.

Thanks!!

JohnBforDell

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy, August 19, 2012
Very happy with the purchase of my Dell Inspiron i620 desktop. Very fast and quiet. Love several usb ports it has (some in front compartment and other in the back). Love the black shine finish. Came with a keyboard and mouse which helped with the transition of moving my old desktop into another room with its hardware and replacing it with this one. Saved me from purchasing more accessories. Just love all the space I have on this desktop. Easy hookup. Nothing complicated about starting it up.