5.0 out of 5 stars Dell Inspiron i660s-1231BK Desktop
I have no idea why everyone is complaining (various sites) about this unit being slow. It's not all that slow! They must be used to sextuple-core processors? And the problems with Windows 8 being difficult?...

Published 12 months ago by Anthony

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead on arrival.
Published 15 months ago by Frank

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dell Inspiron i660s-1231BK Desktop, January 8, 2014
This review is from: Dell Inspiron i660s-1231BK Desktop (3.0 GHz Intel Pentium G2030 Processor, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, Windows 8) Black (Personal Computers)

Anyhoo, I was a bit hesitant about ordering this after reading those negative reviews on the processor and Windows 8 Operating system. First off, the computer I was used to was an older Dell (about the size of a bus! I saw the box for this and was wondering if I had ordered something in error. This baby is tiny! Maybe slightly bigger than an old-school photo album!

After plugging it in and breezing through the setup, I was really looking forward to testing the "negative" stuff I had read. I love the new Windows! I must add though, it would be even more wonderful with a touch screen monitor. After fumbling around for a bit with it, I picked up navigating and searching through most everything. It's setup simply put, like a smart phone. You can search anything and everything on the sidebar (after you figure where it is, LOL!) I have since then tested the processor speed, especially on the internet. I have DSL, and clicking on the Internet Explorer symbol will get me to homepage between 1-2 seconds. I, all at once, linked up my iTunes (sharing and importing my music from my old computer- roughly 16GB of music), was on the net, and downloading updates, etc. all with minimal trouble with processor & speed. If anything, the only thing I've noticed that was somewhat time consuming was starting the computer up. It takes literally a minute or two max! It was a little bit slower than my laptop which is an Intel i7 processor. Unless you're dealing with 3-D CAD/CAM programming software, I doubt you'll have any issues with processor speed.

Some other negatives I read were not being able to locate the USB ports and the CD/DVD drive. Really now? If you look at the pics here on Amazon, you will see BOTH buttons to release the USB cover AND DVD drive! I actually thought I wasn't going to be able to link up my 5.1 surround to this when I looked at the inputs in the back, but plugging the 3 wires in (using headphone, mic, and another jack) prompted a pop-up on the computer in which the computer read what the wire was for, and allowed me to select it for my surround! Works great and is controlled perfectly with the sound card that comes installed.

ALL IN ALL, this is a great little computer in my opinion, especially considering the price! I have no objections or negative comments and would easily recommend to a friend!

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems, October 27, 2013
Received the product within 24 hours (with Amazon Prime) - even faster than expected! Got everything set up without any problems. I'm now up and running, trying to get used to Windows 8 and figuring out how to install 8.1 and whether this is a free upgrade or not.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead on arrival., October 24, 2013
I received the new Dell, unpacked everything, and set it up. Powered it up and got an error message. I call the help desk and spent 90 minutes with a nice gentleman in India to find out that the operating system (Windows 8) had not been loaded on the PC. My choices were take ownership and wait for Dell to send me the operating system or repack the whole thing and send back to Amazon. Not the experience that I was expecting.

4.0 out of 5 stars find computer, November 26, 2013
The computer itself is fine. Windows 8 not a fan of. I did get my computer 2 days after I order so awesome on the delivery. There is a panel on the front it just takes some effort to get it to open. My major complaint is that there are no instructions on how to set up and that is Windows 8 that is so not user friendly. Other wise not problem booting up, still learning windows 8.

5.0 out of 5 stars Runs great!, November 15, 2013
Don Bert "DonBert" (Ft. Collins, CO USA) - See all my reviews
I'm very pleased with my new Dell. It was easy to set up and runs perfectly. Widows 8 was easy to learn and updating to 8.1 was free and easy. Great buy for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars FAST AND SIMPLE, January 1, 2014
I HAVE USED DELL COMPUTERS FOR 12 PLUS YEARS. THIS ONE IS WORTH IT. FASTEST SETUP TIME WITH WINDOWS 8. EASY TO USE.

1.0 out of 5 stars Computer is not brand new!!!, November 12, 2013
Computer is not brand new!!! The original Dell box was opened. When I took the computer out of box, it was covered with dust.

4.0 out of 5 stars performs as expected, February 2, 2014
I am happy with the Dell computer. It was not clear from the description of the product, but on researching the model, I hoped that there were USB ports on the front of the computer (not just the back), and this turned out to be the case, 2 USB ports were behind a swing out door on the front face of the machine (as well as the card reader and a headphone and a mike jack. I did buy a "cosmetically" damaged case, and this was the worst I had ever encountered in a refurbished product, (some obvious dings in the front plastic) but I was prepared to accept that for a slightly reduced price.

Functionally it has worked fine so far. I really like the small form factor, since I have to move the computer occasionally, and it makes adjustments to the connectors in the back easier. I use this computer for business software and record-keeping, utilizing the "cloud" for some of those services. I do not need a huge hard drive, nor a lot of RAM, but I wanted to have enough to go forward without having to upgrade for a long time, so I went with 4 GB RAM/500 GB HD. I do use dictation software which can use a lot of RAM.

The issues I might have would be the relative difficulty transitioning to Window 8 (from Windows XP), but that is a software issue (not having to do with the Dell hardware), which I knew would be a separate issue. Dell puts in an introduction video for Windows 8, which helps, but it is pretty basic. I felt I needed another more detailed resource so I got a separate introductory book on Windows 8. After working with it for a while, I don't think it is difficult, but it definitely is different, and you have to learn where things are for this System. For those Windows XP users that might be intimidated, there are still Windows 7 computers available (I believe there are fewer compatibility issues). However, going forward, lack of compatibility will only be increasing, so I decided to bite the bullet now, and get new software and hardware as necessary for this current environment. Using Microsoft.com's Windows 8 compatibility site beforehand was helpful in predicting what new hardware and software I might have to get. I.e., it is more costly than just the price of the computer, if you're transitioning from Windows XP.

4.0 out of 5 stars windows 8 (so-so), January 12, 2014
P. Cochran (Spokane, WA USA) - See all my reviews
taking a bit of time to negotiate the windows 8 platform; it's doable but not intuitive; the machine is a nice size and seems to do what I need it to do; very pleased with the shipping from Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars I was actually surprised that this is the best one I have ever used!, December 22, 2014
I wanted to use this for a while before reviewing it. I have had it for a little over a year now and it works great. My computer is used for college (i do most of my classes online) so I store alot of documents. I also store thousands of pictures, movies, etc...My computer is still running very fast and I have never had any issues with it. I was worried because it was cheaper than other ones but it was worth the price. I use it with a 30 inch LG monitor. I have had laptops and desktops and this definitely is the best one I have ever used. Usually by this time my computer starts running slow but it hasn't. I would recommend to anyone that needs to store alot of data on their computer and still needs it to run smoothly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›