5.0 out of 5 stars Liked it so well we bought another
A lot of computer for the money with Windows 8. Got one for my wife and liked it so well I bought one for myself.
Published 19 months ago by Robert C. Anderson

The manufacturer commented on the review below
Please avoid this machine and Dell. I wasted valuable Christmas family time on this defective machine; low quality control and uncaring Dell support have me returning this to Amazon for a refund.

Published 18 months ago by Quin Dwyer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked it so well we bought another, December 16, 2012
This review is from: Dell Inspiron i660s-5385BK Desktop PC (Intel Core i3-2130 3.4GHz 6GB 1TB DVD±RW Windows 8) (Personal Computers)

5.0 out of 5 stars It is very fast for my needs., December 28, 2012
My computer is used primarily for email and for searching the internet. The Dell meets all of my requirements very easily;
however, Microsoft 8 required four hours of work with their "experts" before my email account attachments could be opened
successfully.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Dead as a Doornail: Low Product Quality followed up by atrocious Dell Service = Lost Family Time, December 28, 2012

On the 3rd day out of the box, as soon as I loaded up and authorized my software (transitioning from an old machine) the 660s stopped booting with no signs of hard drive life. I should have known: right out of the box the front left door hinge was taped on; the cheap plastic didn't fit in the hinges. Could anyone at the factory have cared to check and fix? Guess not. What an incredible waste of time (3 days over Christmas break) and a real crusher to the family, after everyone personalized their settings.

Dell phone support took forever to contact. First call: no acknowledgement, no apologies. The first agent, Ahmad, insisted I needed to put ownership in my name; I asked how that impacted my ability to return to Amazon; he said "that's up to you." When I asked for a clearer answer, he hung up. Wouldn't this be one of the first things you would want to know in this situation?

My next call, after another long phone wait, got me a rote apology and a lecture that this rarely happened and I shouldn't question the product quality (broad hint: it's always the customer's fault). After a half hour of walking through the power button settings the agent gave up without further explanation and said parts needed to be replaced. A tech agent would come to my home once he received the parts. The phone agent would not tell me what parts were involved. If these were the wrong parts then we would repeat the process. I would need to take the day off when the tech support came. It was clear that Dell was talking weeks of turnaround given they knew the symptoms but not the problem. Dell had no drop-off repair options. No option to send directly to Dell to repair was given. This is for a new machine 3 days out of the box.

The box says this machine is assembled in Mexico of parts made in China. Somewhere along the way quality control stopped mattering. This is a lemon. I am not sure Dell can be trusted to support customers. The phone queue was very long; the two agents were focused on managing tickets, not on customer service. Their skill is reading screen prompts (even the apology had a recited, let's get this over quality); the phone agents added little value and showed no interest (other than to lecture me that I should trust Dell and this rarely happens) in the fact I had wasted hours and hours of Christmas family time on this defective Dell machine.

I would have considered bringing the machine to an authorized repair center, or shipping to Dell. Instead, after wasting considerable valuable time on a clearly low-quality machine, I was given a support option that 1) was as inconvenient and undependable to me and my family as Dell could provide (i.e., take time off from work to wait around for a support visit that had a low likelihood of solving the problem), and 2) was (I assume) the most costly to Dell (wouldn't it seem more effective to have the two other options, to drop off or ship the machine?).

I can only warn you away from Dell and machines like this. The quality is not there, support is not meaningful, and the more people look away and ignore bad service, the more we hurt each other because companies like Dell assume we don't really care.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jan 3, 2013 8:54:23 AM PST
DellTeam says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Hello Quin Dwyer,

Thank you for sharing your experience with your recent Dell purchase. I'm sorry to hear that you had such an unpleasant experience. It sounds like you are having specific hardware concerns.

Please reach out to our Online Support Teams. They will be able to gather more in-depth information to assist you in this matter. They do have the same capabilities as our Phone Support, but through social media outlets; and we recommend their services because of their success in resolving customer issues.

* Online Support Teams Contact: Twitter - @DellCares (http://bit.ly/Hhh2SQ); Dell Community Forum (http://dell.to/qeG8ux); Dell Facebook (http://bit.ly/HlJ9LZ)
I hope that we can get this resolved for you and restore your faith in our products. Thank you for sharing and have a great day!
--GinaVAtDell

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent desktop, good value, February 7, 2013
I needed an inexpensive desktop to replace a failed HP unit. The Dell 660S has Win8 Pro and runs effortlessly with all of my software. It comes with 4 rear USB's and 2 front USB's. It runs much quieter and cooler than my previous HP. It has a 1.9GHz I3 processor with turbo boost to 3.4 GHz. It is longer than the HP unit but still fits nicely on my desk next to printer and dell touchscreen monitor. I still use the mouse and keyboard more than touch but it is nice to have the option.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fail, December 31, 2012
The 660s that I received two days ago took fooorrreevveerr to start up and then would not shut down. It froze after attempting to shut down. I had to force shut down and then again today it did the same thing. I called Dell and they claim that this has never happened before but since I did not buy it from them they were unsure if it could be replaced if needed.
The person on the phone, from overseas, gained access to the computer and had to update the BIOS and some drivers, the dates of which were in September and October, which is prior to Windows 8 release, which means that the BIOS and drives on the computer that I purchased had no way of being compatible with this operating system. I guess Dell had surplus computers assembled and threw this operating system on it. Unfortunately, even though the person on the phone was certain the issues would be solved, they were not. FAIL.
We then spent another 40 minutes doing a system check but all of the hardware was fine according to the person on the phone, which means it is not Dell's fault.
I was told that I had to try and reboot the system which will take about 12 hours to complete, and then if it does not work they will have me take the computer somewhere for evaluation.
I wish I could return it but since it is not dead I am stuck with it.

Do not purchase this computer.
It might be great in the future when the bugs are worked out, but that may take some time - maybe after Memorial Day 2013.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Problems, April 14, 2013
L. Brooks (OK, United States) - See all my reviews
Everything works perfectly. It doesn't come with Office, but there's an app that takes you right to where to order it from. You can delete all the unnecessary apps and add whatever you use, or you can just ignore the Windows 8 bit and go to the desktop where everything looks like it used to in Windows 7.

To set up and learn Windows 8, I used my old computer to read a Windows 8 tutorial as I got this new one started up. It's not hard.

I've ordered a second one for my daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great PC, March 23, 2013
I am very satisfied with this PC which replaced a Dell 9000 which was many times the cost and size. It works perfectly.
It is very quick and easy to upgrade from 6GB memory to 8GB. Just print out the owner's manual and follow the illustrated step by step instructions. Of course you will first have to purchase an inexpensive 4GB memory stick to replace the one 2GB stick. (The PC comes with one 4GB stick and one 2GB stick.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Dell 660 with Windows 8, February 17, 2013
Good computer for the money. If you have not used Windows 8 before be ready to go back to computers 101. Not sure at this point if we like the new operating system platform. Is very different than any Windows OS before it. Dell support was from good to really bad in setting this up. Finally had to call Microsoft to resolve a User account problem. They were excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very power little computer., February 6, 2013
Very fast computer. Lots of memory and hard drive. The only thing I don't like about this computer is the windows 8 operating system. I did not like the cell phone like home page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great desktop!!, February 5, 2013
Love this small desktop. Very fast computer and great for everyday use. I got it due to the small footprint but was surprised by the speed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›