Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on May 26, 2011
I bought this laptop directly from dell Financial Services auction on ebay. I did not even know that they have it here on Amazon Marketplace too. Even though the description said manufacturer refurbished the laptop I received looked like new. It came with power adapter and a Dell Windows XP Reinstallation CD and built in Intel PROSet Wireless Card. Absolutely no bloatware is included.

Now this may not be a top of the line machine but it is pretty adequate for home and school or even Small Home Office use. The neat part is that once you boot up the machine for the first time it would automatically install Windows XP after going through some preliminary steps. It even gives you option to enter setup and configure things but you are better off leaving the machine alone to do its thing and install windows XP or whichever operating system it is bundled with unless you're techie. Once windows finishes installation you can pretty much install anything you want. I have so far installed Open Office, MS Office 2003, Firefox, Chrome, Avast Anti Virus, Trusteer Rapport security Software and many other productivity softwares and the machine boots up and runs smoothly.

It does not come with webcam so I installed Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 and Microsoft Lifecam Cinema and either camera runs smoothly even on HD modes. I use Lifecam Cinema more often because it's stand is perfect fit for D630 bezel as opposed to the Quickcam Pro 9000's stand which tend to wobble.

I will advise you buy this laptop directly from Dell either here on Amazon Marketplace or on ebay where it is listed under Dell_Financial_Services. You will likely receive a laptop that will be like new but more importantly you will get 30 days warranty.

This laptop is of right price, size and specs: 14" bright LCD, 2GB Ram, 80GB harddisk space and 2GHZ Intel Dual Core processor that is more than adequate for most home, school and or Small Home Office use. It is sturdy and sleek looking too.

There is one thing that Dell scrimped on here: the tiny single speaker that is barely audible! I use an external Frisby USB laptop Speakers. I also use headphone when I am on the road. It is worthy to note that this tiny speaker belies a powerful sound card that only becomes apparent when you put on a headphone.

NB: Don't forget to switch on the wireless radio or you will not be able to use the wifi connection. The switch is on same side and next to the headphone jack. It is switched off by default. Once you switch it on it will detect a bunch of wifi hot spots including yours, if any. Select your SSID from the displayed options and enter your router's WEP Key and you will be good to go. I have at&t 2WIRE Wireless Gateway and the WEP Key is the ten digit number directly below the serial number located on the side or bottom of the router depending on whether it is standing vertically or lying on it's side. The built in wireless card is powerful. I highly recommend this laptop to anyone who may be on budget but not willing to compromise on quality and performance.
66 comments423 of 432 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2011
I got this laptop in a timely manner and it appears to be in excellent shape. However, when I had problems and called Dell tech support, they told me that the laptop owner had not transferred the laptop to me. Thus, I am unable to get help! I have contacted the seller requesting assistance with this, but have not heard back. When buying a laptop, be sure you get the ownership transferred to you.
44 comments209 of 223 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2011
I purchased one of these laptops from Link-Tronics Memory through Amazon, to replace a laptop my grandmother had that she lost in a wildfire in Texas. She loved it! But more importantly, she took it to her computer guy and he said it was an excellent computer - better than any refurbished computer he sold.

Then I purchased one for my sister who has wanted a laptop for a while.

Finally I purchased one for my teenage son for Christmas.

What I was thrilled about these little laptops is that they came loaded and tweaked almost exactly how I would done. In all honesty, I was prepared with my OS disc and drivers and programs to reformat, but there was no need to do so.

The performance of these laptops has far superseded an XPS gaming laptop that was given to me a couple years ago. It's an old model, but that should still say something about the Dell Latitude D630.

It's slim and has a nice profile to it, easy to carry with you if you don't have a case.

I have refurbished several of our old computers over the years so my advice to those that have had a bad experience with this laptop is that they *are* refurbished. When companies refurbish a computer, they go through and test to see what needs replaced and they replace it or fix it, wipe the drive (or stick a new one in), maybe clean it up a bit, and you have a refurbished computer. Considering the age of the model, there are surely things that will wear out or break much sooner than you would expect from a brand new computer. The lids, keyboards, mouse buttons, and whatnot are guaranteed to have some wear and scratches, it may or may not arrive looking sparkly and new. Buying refurbished most likely means that calling the manufacturer will do no good for support, as it is no longer under their warranty. Purchasing a refurbished, one should expect these things and set their expectations accordingly. It is not a brand new computer.

All in all, the Dell Latitude D630 is a nice little working computer. It makes a perfect gift for kids, or anyone that just wants a decent laptop, but not want to spend a fortune. The price is good too - I've looked for months for something and found this to be the best bargain.

I would definitely recommend this laptop!
33 comments101 of 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2011
If you buy one of these refurbished computers be sure to buy the warranty. The one I purchased only lasted 46 days which is 16 days past the 30 day return period. It quit working and it needs new screen ($600.00) and new battery. I didn't notice that you could buy a warranty when I bought it so I just wasted $300.00. Be sure you buy the warranty!
11 comment62 of 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 25, 2012
I purchased a refurbished Dell Latitude D630, paying about as much as a low end brand new laptop. My reason for getting a refurbished computer is because I wanted to continue to use Windows XP and this was a way to get a "new" computer that still used XP. I also wanted to still be able to use my old programs and hardware that are still compatible with XP. I refuse to use Vista, and Windows 7 is marginal but I don't like it and it's not compatible with a few of my programs. Out of the box it worked perfectly. Unfortunately it only worked perfectly for about a month. Now I can see why it was sent back to Dell. It will randomly crash and shut down, and now that I have owned it for several months, it's too late to return it to Amazon. Don't bother with a refurbished computer. Just go get a new one with a full warranty. If it's been refurbished, there's a reason that someone else sent it back.
22 comments43 of 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 17, 2012
This computer is a great novice computer, it has all the necessary features of an entry level PC, without the junk that is usually installed. The RAM installed is adaquate, however an additional megabyte makes this PC work much better. This PC has no media slots, stereo speakers, web camera, or microphone, each of which can be purchased later. For e-mail, word processing, internet browsing, or spreadsheet calculations, this is much better than a net-book.
on October 24, 2013
The battery on this 100% working laptop was completely shot through and the battery charger does not work. Not only this but once I managed to get a charger to turn it on it has multiple system errors and runs incredible slowly, sometimes shutting down 2-3 times in an hour. I would swap it for my money back in a heartbeat. Would not recommend this seller.
on August 26, 2011
Buyer Beware.

Hard drive squealed in first hour, power supply died in first week.
I do not recommended getting this product
0Comment25 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon April 3, 2015
I have had this machine for 5 years now. I have beaten it, abused it, and run it into the ground. But it keeps on chugging!

It makes for a GREAT Ubuntu Linux base machine as it runs that OS like a dream.

My D630 is finally falling part...literally. The hinges on the screen are breaking. The LCD panel is starting to show occasional missing lines. But the core of the computer itself is standing it's ground.

If you can get a new or properly refurbished one of these, do it! You are not going to be upset at your choices. This thing is built to take a pounding and keep going.

I've used mine heavily for 5 years. It's been a full time business and personal machine. I have never found a more rugged more durable notebook than the Latitude D630.
on December 12, 2013
I love this Computer!!! I have only had it for about a week, but it seems to work Great. It is so much lighter and than my old Dell Inspirion 1500 series laptop, which finally died after 7years. I love the fact that all the software I am familiar with was uploaded and ready for my use upon arrival and even had the ITunes software downloaded as well. There are also so many other extra bonus features not mention in original description, that I look forward to researching even more! It runs very well and connection is very fast. I am very happy with the refurbished Dell and the Cost. I would definitely recommend this product to others. Thank you!!