5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Magnificent Laptop
I've owned an alpine white XPS m1530 for about two years. I got the Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.2GHz) with 3GB DDR2 SDRAM and the 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M. My hard drive is from Fujitsu.

Published on January 9, 2010 by Gandalf

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not purchase a Dell
I hope that by my writing this I can prevent at least one person from buying from Dell.

Published on July 18, 2009 by T. Hubbard

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not purchase a Dell, July 18, 2009
This review is from: Dell XPS M1530 Midnight Blue 15.4" Wide-screen WSXGA LCD Display with Truelife and Integrated 2.0MP Webcam Notebook (Personal Computers)

I am furious with Dell and the runaround I have received this last month of trying to get them to repair my year old, under warranty and expensive laptop. Dell was easy to reach and very attentive when it came to purchasing the laptop, but they were impossible to reach, unhelpful and downright resistant to fixing anything once there was a problem.

After owning my Dell XPS 1530 for about a year it completely and suddenly died (it had been crashing periodically for a month beforehand). I sent Dell two e-mails requesting help with this problem before the computer completely died. I received an auto response from Dell but never anything else. I have been calling and writing and waiting for Dell to repair my laptop for 33 days now and I still have a non-functioning XPS 1530 on my hands.

I was contacted a few days after I reported the dead laptop to Dell by a service tech and made an appointment with them. The appointment was a four hour window in which I was to wait for them to show up at my home to repair the computer. I took a half day off from work and waited. They never came.

I then made a second appointment for another tech to come to my home and took a second afternoon off from work. This time, it turned out Dell had ordered the wrong disk drive. The tech also said that the outer plastic case needed to be replaced as it was warped and cracked due to the laptop overheating. I was blatantly told by this tech that overheating of the XPS laptops was a huge problem for Dell. I have since Googled Dell and overheating and I find endless results. The tech replaced the memory and hard drive and said they would be back in two days with the correct disk drive and plastic case.

It's 33 days later I am still waiting for someone to finish repairing the laptop.

I have made over 17 calls to Dell all with frustrating results. In my month of dealing with the non-existent customer service at Dell I have spent 12.32 hours on hold (I started to keep track after my first seemingly endless call), I have been transferred from person to person, and in the process my calls have been disconnected over a dozen times (sometimes after I had been waiting for over an hour). I found the English of some of the Dell reps to be so bad that communication was impossible (you will not be dealing with anyone in the United States), my e-mails have never been replied to, and so far I have missed two days of work waiting for techs to repair the laptop. I am looking at missing a third if they ever show up with the part. It has been an endless runaround with zero results or satisfaction.

It was finally around day 20 of this fiasco that I found out that the disk drive has been on back order all this time, but no one ever bothered to call me to inform me of this. Nor did Dell offer to send me a new computer while I waited even though they had to replace everything but the screen on my laptop.

At this point I am finally speaking with someone in the US about replacing the computer but my thought is why would I want another XPS 1530 that will have the same overheating problems? I have zero desire to go through this again let alone ever deal with Dell again in my life.

If you have read this far and are still considering purchasing a Dell, please Google Dell and overheating you will find endless articles and commentary on this issue. In fact if you Google Dell and anything bad you will find that there are ten times more issues than there are positive reviews. Also, if you look closely at some of the better reviews, Dell has sponsored them.

I did find an already a settled class action lawsuit against Dell for my problem however I missed the application deadline by three months.
[...]

All I want is a working computer and Dell has been nothing but a faceless behemoth that has taken my $1,500 and wits end.

Do not buy from Dell, you will be regretful.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Known Lemon, DO NOT BUY, April 16, 2010
This is the worst laptop I have ever bought. I spent a lot on it, having bought it when it was new. Within a week of my purchase it began overheating critically because of the bad Nvidia card.

Dell did replace the card, but that was only the beginning. Nothing ever worked well on this and I could expect frequent crashes and problems.

I did upgrade to Win7 but by then it was too late. The little flakiness it showed was not actually the OS's fault (I thought it was) but rather that the mainboard was going out.

Now I am faced with purchasing a new mainboard and it is only a week or so before I make an international trip.

This is as bad as buying a new car that immidiately has a faulty engine. I have not had a singe day with a good functional laptop since I bought this thing, but I have had plenty of months with a credit card payment for the paperweight sitting on my desk.

DO NOT BUY THIS.

Why? I'm not alone. These problems are known with this laptop. There is a chance that if you buy this laptop it will begin overheating from a bad graphics card (a known problem) and that may take your mainboard.

I'm out a couple thousand dollars here, and faced with spending nearly that to fix it or buying a new laptop.

A terrible mistake no one should have to deal with this. I could have taken $2500 and burned it.

UPDATE: Ok so I'm updating this review because while the problems I had were every bit as frustrating as they sound, the laptop ended up working for 5 years. The Win 7 upgrade never worked right, I lost two USB ports, and I had to have it fixed 3 times (but Dell's warranty covered the work). After the last fix, while it was not perfect it did not break again. I finally upgraded because I wanted a machine that would run Win 7 and newer programs easily, and after 5 years this one was getting old. I also broke the HD at some point (my fault... I knocked the laptop off the table) and had to put another in which I had on hand (and didn't want to buy a new HD for an old machine). So why am I updating such an old review? The years of functionality, and the fact that they at least *fixed* things made me feel a bit guilty about my negative review. Also, I bought another Dell which doesn't seem to have all the problems this one did. Unfortunately, I do think this was just a buggy model, but I'm mitigating my review based on the continued years of functionality once the many many issues were resolved (even though it really was no fun having to put everything through a squid on the ONE functioning USB). Adding one star for Dell's willingness to honor warranties. If you are going to sell people a lemon and not recall it, that's the least you can do.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter garbage; Poor perormance with Vista and Windows 7; Dead Battery, electric shock from AC power; Dell won't stand behind it!, February 4, 2010
I am a professional designer and needed a powerful machine that can get the job done. In the past I loved Dell's reliable product and support, but it seems that over time they have decided to take a shortcut on the only thing that kept business customers like me coming back.

It started by calling Dell and asking to purchase their "Complete Care" warranty. I purchased a 4 year plan to the tune of $476. Almost half the cost of the machine. I should have been suspicious when they tried selling me an extra battery for a 2 day old computer.
I only agreed to purchase the warranty after the salesman promised me a $75 in Dell Dollars (that I can "use to purchase another battery"). Hmmm... Months go by and my Dell Dollars never arrive. The salesman does not respond to his emails and all calls to Dell end up in India, where customer service is real "business class". They say that since I have no proof of the deal they won't give me my Dell Dollars - as if it's my burden of proof. (and beside, my partner purchased her warranty on the same phone call and got her Dell Dollars). 18 emails later I gave up and processed a $75 chargeback with my credit card on that transaction. I got my money.

The computer came with a poorly designed unreliable Windows Vista on it. It was so bad that I was OK downgrading it to the 9 year old Windows XP, but Dell wanted $100 for that downgrade license. Why should anyone be rewarded for a bad operating system?

I then traveled the world with this machine. It seems that the "international" adapter doesn't work properly. In France, UK, Israel and Italy (all 220V countries) the stainless still pad would electrify me. My sister with the smaller M1330 had a similar problem. I called and got it replaced, and of course was again prompted to buy another battery - maybe it messed my original one up?

I upgraded to Windows 7. It now overheats and the fan constantly complains. Many Bluetooth devices not recognized, it's slow and merely useless. Dell tells me to call Microsoft. Excellent service for my $475 plan.

And then it came, within a month of this machine's birthday the battery surprisingly went one day to not holding a charge anymore. Coincidence? I think not. Given the reviews all over the Internet for these batteries I can only believe that Dell makes them intentionally to quit working just after the warranty expires. Why does it matter if I bought a very expensive 4 year plan? - because Dell excluded the battery from the "Complete" care program. They should call it "Incomplete Care". You see, the battery is the single most profitable part in the notebook computer, and this is also why Dell is trying to push it on you in every call or email you make.

Just a few months ago, my girlfriend's Dell Inspiron started popping up messages about critical battery within days after being able to hold charge for 3 hours. We called Dell support 4 times and in each time we had a technician "diagnose" the laptop remotely and then telling us that they have a sale on batteries. I decided to investigate this personally and found out a small BIOS fix. I flushed it with the fix and what do you know? No need to battery.

Dell then refused to give me a new battery. I responded by giving it a much deserved rating and critique on their web site. I immediately was contacted by Dell's representative that apologized for my troubles and offered to resolve the issue. Someone from India called me to argue on Dell's behalf that they have the right to make shoddy batteries and not cover them in a $476 warranty, but she would be delighted to SELL me another battery. Are you kidding me?

And now at the age of 14 months, pixels in my screen are dying.

On the up side, I can tell you that I took the decision to move on from PC altogether after 18 years and 8 years of Dell. I want service, battery that lasts and a company that takes responsibility for their products. I am sick of rewarding bad behavior with my hard earned money. STAY AWAY FROM DELL!

1.0 out of 5 stars Crapy Crapy Computer, March 26, 2011
Caitlyn Green (MOUNT PLEASANT, TENNESSEE, US) - See all my reviews
I hope that this review will get people who are looking at this computer to not buy it.
I am telling you that it will be one of the worst decisions you will ever make. This computer is very expensive and doesn't work worth a crap. I have never in my life had as many problems with a computer before. I haven't even had my computer two years yet and have already had to have the hard drive replaced twice within 5 months and am in the process of trying to get it fixed right now. If I were you I would spend my 1,250 on a mac or some other brand than a dell. Customer service for Dell is awful there is nothing good to say about them either. They don't speak good English and will not help you and hang up on you. Just trust me DO NOT BUY A DELL COMPUTER YOU WILL REGRET YOUR DECISION.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Magnificent Laptop, January 9, 2010
Gandalf (Washington, D.C.) - See all my reviews

I've heavily used it, running it at least 12 hours a day every day, and taken it on numerous trips. The laptop has been nearly flawless in that time-- the only problems a couple of broken keys (from so much use!) that Dell replaced and some more serious software issues related to Vista. Seriously, I've thrown a ridiculous amount of work, pounding, and different software packages at this laptop and it keeps powering on! The laptop does run a little hot so I recommend getting a laptop cooling pad.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overheating Issues that left my legs with 2nd degree burns, October 4, 2010
So I've always bought Dell. Customer loyalty and all that. I purchased a Dell XPS M1530 in January 2008. I had mainly used Dell desktops before that. I did use a few laptops, also Dell, which my husband handed down to me each time he bought a new laptop. I do a lot of photo editing on my laptop and use both Photoshop and Microsoft product (not so much). When I would run Photoshop or when I was gaming, (higher processor/fan usage), my system would crash. I was so involved with what I was doing, I would ignore the burning I felt on my thighs (from using a lap top on my lap). Why would anyone think they could not rest a laptop on their lap?
I received a postcard in the mail the other day regarding a class action lawsuit against Nividia, I disposed of it. Admittedly, that was an ignorant move on my part.

I called Dell and had chat sessions with them on about 5 occasions regarding the heat coming out of my laptop, the burns on my legs, etc. They suggested I purchase a cooling fan. I did, although I thought this a ridiculous thing to have to do. In fact, I went through 3 fans. Then, my 9-cell battery died. No warnings. Just stopped charging when plugged in. And of course, even if you have your laptop plugged in, the main power source defaults to the batter and when the battery begins to run low, does not change power source to AC automatically. The user needs to remove the battery if s/he wants to solely rely on AC power.

Basically, the machine runs hot. It only has 3 usb ports so you need to buy an adapter for that as well. It has served it's purpose, although it has left scars on my legs and so many crashes due to overheating issues, I've lost a lot of time using this laptop.

I would not recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good product... when it works..., December 30, 2009
Charlie Chen (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought this laptop a year ago (along with probably every buyer here) with the omnipresent 20-30% off Dell coupons. Side tracking a bit here, but is there a time when Dell ISN'T having a sale? When's the last time a Dell was sold at MSRP? Anyway, back to the review. Delivery arrived in the classic brown Dell box that we've all come to familiarize ourselves with via the old "Dude I got a Dell!" commercials.

Booted up fine, quite a bit of commercial ware though. Did a reformat and everything went smoothly, for about 2 weeks.

Problems I've ran into so far:

Malfunctioning hard drive - This took about a week to diagnose, send a tech/product, repair. This is a pretty common problem with the drives that come with M1530s.
Loud (and when I say loud, I mean loud! Every time you put in a disc, it sounds like it's literally tearing the CD apart) Sony optiarc drive - Nothing I can do here. It wasn't malfunctioning, I was just one of the unlucky people who received the Sony drive, instead of the Samsung or Toshiba drive they also offer.
LCD screen/inverter burned out - This happened to me about a month ago, after 13 months of use. That's right, a month after warranty. Costs a good $250 for the screen itself. After a bit of research, I can't say this is a common M1530 problem, but hey, just a warning. Note: I use the 1680x1050 res myself, I haven't heard anyone with the 1440x900 or the 1920x1200 have problems.
Overheating graphics card - This happened to me and two friends of mine, so 75% of XPSes in my area. If you call them, they'll tell you graphics cards are "supposed" to run hot (really? It's suppose to run at, what nVidia control panel declares critical levels? Water boils at that temperature.), but since then, nVidia already published an article citing deficiencies in the design of the 8000s series. This problem is especially prevalent for M1330 and their 8400GS.

A friend of mine also received a laptop with a malfunctioning motherboard, which he had replaced. Except Dell doesn't replace it with a new laptop with similar specs, they replace it with a refurbished laptop with similar specs. But he didn't really care, so whatever. Except for the fact that the refurbished laptop also had motherboard problems. So he had that one sent in, for another refurbished laptop. About a month later, he spilled beer on it, and it wouldn't boot at all, so again, he had that one replaced (thanks to Dell AccidentalCare). Good thing Dell warranty is pretty damn good.

Performance with the laptop is pretty good, the 8600 GT is DDR3, so it's faster than the Inspiron 8600 GT. Yeah, just watch out for the problems though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than my constantly updated pc, May 1, 2009
I absolutely LOVE this notebook. it plays every game i want to perfectly and is absolutely amazing. i cant really ask for more especially with the 4 gigs of RAM. as a Christmas gift from my uncle, who made this account, the only problem is low hard drive space. it comes with about 130 gigabyte space and that's not enough for me but im buying a terabyte external drive so im set. if you want a notebook that can do what you want whether it be gaming, school, music, what ever its an amazing laptop. I WILL SAY THOUGH if you want to play games with extremely demanding graphical tech, such as fallout 3, farcry2, crysis and newer games, it will play them and they will look pretty but it wont be to there full extent.

3.0 out of 5 stars A great buy, if it has no problems., December 19, 2008
NOTE: This is a review of a refurbished unit. Some issues may not apply, and some might. If you don't experience these issues, it's a really great buy.

I'm returning mine.

I was really excited to get it. Refurbished, but Dell says each one is checked carefully for flaws.

First thing, the screen is gunky. Looks like someone fell asleep on it, then wiped it with his paw. There's little hairs and dirt on the keyboard and screen.

Ok, just clean it off. Next thing, the keyboard has "sticky" keys on the left side. You need to press them harder to make the keypress register, with a hard, clicking feel. The "F" key won't pop up as fast as the others. Who checked this laptop, Mr. Bean?

The hard drive is constantly clicking every couple of seconds. Sounds like a little guy with a typewriter in there. tik ... tiktik ... tik ... tiktik ...

I call Dell tech support. They send a technician to replace both parts. The keyboard is much better. But the drive is still noisy. It's driving me batty.

Speaking of the technicians.

The agents on chat and phone very helpful and respectful, although sometimes unintentionally annoying, making you jump through hoops to diagnose the obvious issue. The guys in the field are nice too, but are more concerned with their convenience than yours. They try to schedule things around their world, not yours. They usually take a whole day to contact you. Be warned, and accept no garbage from them. Dell owes you Next Business Day service.

My chat with Dell:

12/18/2008 __:__:27PM
C____: "Next day service not working out"
12/18/2008 __:05:09PM
C____: "Gaithersburg rep and Virginia rep cannot meet my schedule"
12/18/2008 __:05:23PM
C____: "My available times are not convenient enough for them"
12/18/2008 __:05:53PM
C____: "Gaithersburg tech cannot come to my house in the morning before 11 am (!) or after work, after 5 pm"
12/18/2008 __:06:22PM
C____: "Virginia tech says he cannot make it to my office before 5 pm"
12/18/2008 __:06:34PM
C____: "because he wants to put me as last appt on his list always"
12/18/2008 __:06:43PM
C____: "as it's more convenient for him"
12/18/2008 __:07:08PM
C____: "Gaithersburg tech also very concerned about his convenience"
12/18/2008 __:07:15PM
C____: "will not drive 20 minutes to my office"
12/18/2008 __:07:19PM
C____: "afraid of rush hour"
12/18/2008 __:07:30PM
Agent (A_____6680): "C___, I am sorry for the inconvenience. Let me check what best can be done."
12/18/2008 __:07:54PM
C____: "i will not send my laptop to depot - i'm supposed to get next day on site service"
12/18/2008 __:08:42PM
C____: "I do not live to serve at your technicians convenience"
12/18/2008 __:09:27PM
Agent (A_____6680): "C___, I sorry for such behavior and inconvenience."

Anyway, this is my third drive, and it doesn't seem to dawn on them that it may be another issue - maybe Vista or some drive setting or other.

There are design issues.

The keyboard looks terrible around the edges - you can see the little protrusions that seem to exist to hold it in place.

Things don't quite fit. The screen hinge has a larger gap on the right than on the left. The battery has a gap in the fitting running from right to left, visible when the screen is open. Other parts of the case don't quite fit.

And worst of all, the bottom of the screen rubs against the glossy, black plastic strip above the keyboard, scratching it.

This thing got a Red Dot design award?

I'm generally happy with it; it's great value for money, a powerful machine. It looks and feels good, if you can ignore the little flaws.

But the constant clicking/scratching cannot be tolerated. I can see the constant disk activity in Vista's Performance Monitor. It's not audible if you have sufficient background noise, like a loud AC, but at home, when it's quiet, and you're concentrating, it's annoying. It hasn't dawned on Dell that this may be a Vista issue.

Others have the same complaint, but others say they don't have the same problem. Search for "hard drive clicking" or "hard drive noise" on the Dell forums. You may be one of the lucky ones.

I'm trying a refurbished M4400. Wish me luck.

UPDATE: I got a refurb M4400. The hard drive noise problem is gone - it's a Hitachi, I believe. Plus I could get XP on it instead of Vista. I miss the sleekness of the XPS, but such is life. However, there are new Studio models that are similar to the XPS now, and perhaps the newer XPS's have solved the problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good performance but....., August 2, 2009
I was happy initally when I purchased this from Dell and customized it too my liking, but about a month after recieving it things started to get annoying. In one month I have had 2 blue screens for no apparent reason (Vista could not locate the problem), excessive heat (espessially when playing games) and a failing Dell wireless card which was garbage from the start.I bought a laptop cooler for the XPS and the wireless card has since died making me buy an excellent D-Link wireless USB adapter which has amazing wireless. For the price of this laptop it should be much, much better than it is. I would not recommend getting the 64 bit edition of Windows Vista with this laptop either as alot of things are still not capatable with it, software mostly but it's still a pain. The HD screen looked good but the resolutions were small as hell, and I had to use low end display configurations just to see the damn screen. A 15" laptop does not need HD display...what was I thinking. The 6GB of ram I upped my notebook to did nothing to improve performance on anything, the keyboard is very nice as is the trackpad and metal like mac covering. The laptop ran most games pretty good, nothing compared to an Imac running Windows Vista but still acceptable. The housing is well built, now all Dell, Acer, Gateway, HP, Compaq, Asus, and every other PC maker has to do is improve their hardware. After using the XPS I was dishartened to realize that when buying a PC it doesen't matter if you spend 2000$ or 500$ you get pretty much the same performance and lousy hardware. I have since sold the XPS and bought a 24" Imac for the same price. I now run Windows Vista via boot camp and I have never had Windows run without problems so well, it's all in the hardware folks. Peaople always blame Vista, Vista sucks, Vista crashed my pc, Vista blue screened, my PC died damn Vista!. If Vista is ran on non-garbage hardware (Apple hardware) it is a wonderful, stable OS. My current Imac/Macbook Pro configuration using boot camp is excellent, full mac & windows capatability and functionality on one top quality machine. Most laptops these days are so cheap becasue the hardware is garbage ie. Dell Inspiron. I could run Vista on a lettuce leaf better than a Dell inspiron. I have ownedmany laptops and Desktops over the years and nothing has ever come close to an Imac and a Macbook Pro with bootcamp running OSX & Windows on quality hardware. In one full year after boot camp installation not one BSOD with Vista! Again it's all about whats under the hood not the paint job.

ARRAY(0xa322c150)