5.0 out of 5 stars Best tablet out there for $149!
Published 11 months ago by derekmski

3.0 out of 5 stars its a good tablet....but
Published 9 months ago by John Russell

5.0 out of 5 stars Best tablet out there for $149!, November 4, 2013
This review is from: Dell Venue 7 16 GB Tablet (Android) (Personal Computers)
This is a really great tablet. I got it for $149 so I didn't have my hopes too high with it being this cheap but it's an excellent tablet. I would say this is by far the best tablet for $149. The build quality seems to be really good, not cheap and creaky like the Hisense Sero 7 Pro from Walmart. The back is mildy grippy like the nexus 7. It's super light only weighing 314g! It has front and rear cameras that aren't that great but it's better than nothing. The tablet comes with Android 4.2.2 and it's stock Android with only 2 Dell cloud apps that can be disabled anyways so it's nice and clean. Dell says it'll get 4.4 KitKit soon. This does have a GPS, and an ambient light sensor for automatic brightness. The micro sd slot works well, I have a 32GB card in it working great. The speaker is on the bottom side to when laying flat the sound isn't muffled, it gets really loud for a little speaker. The sound quality when you plug headphones in is excellent, blew me a way, the sound is full and rich if you're listening to a good source. The screen is very bright and sharp, good viewing angles because it's an IPS display. This plays a bunch of high end games without a hitch. Battery life seems to be pretty good, they claim up to 10 hours. Comes with a nice 10W power adapter and a micro usb cable.

UPDATE 11/15/2013:
I'm still liking this tablet overall but I noticed a thing after using it for awhile. The automatic brightness level at night or in a darker room is way too bright, it's very hard on the eyes and I have to manually turn the brightness down because it's so bright at night. I have contacted Dell about this and they have forwarded it to the department that handles the software on this tablet so hopefully it's adjusted in a future update.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal, November 4, 2013
Dirk (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dell Venue 7 16 GB Tablet (Android) (Personal Computers)
I just got this tablet so I can't speak to longevity, etc., but as for first impressions, this is a really great tablet for the price. What I like:
-Build quality seems excellent - really solid feel.
-Micro SD slot for expansion is great.
-Pretty much stock Android (I have used the Samsung version in the past, I found it almost unworkable).
-Lots of RAM and a fairly fast processor means apps run quickly

On the negative side, it has cameras, though they are pretty low quality - good enough for Skype, etc., but won't beat your phone for pictures.

Overall, I would recommend. I will update after a while if anything goes wrong.

EDIT 11/7/2013: Just thought I would give an update about the Micro SD card reader, as I was a bit confused about it. On the Dell site, it says it is SDXC compatible, supporting up to 128GB (when they are available), but in other spots it says "a micro SD slot for up to 32GB of additional storage", which would imply it is not SDXC compatible. Well, tonight I put in a 64GB SDXC card, formatted to FAT32, and all 64GB were available. Copied files from my desktop onto the card, and the Venue was able to read them no problem. So that is a very nice feature if you have a lot of movies, music, etc you want to lug around with this tablet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value For The Price, November 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Seven inches seems to be the "sweet spot" in size for a tablet that is convenient to carry around and yet large enough to actually use, so I ordered this one to see if it works for me. I find this tablet to be very well designed, with good screen viewing angles and adequate battery life, but to have limited internal speakers.

Design:

The tablet is very comfortable to hold and quite compact. The device is designed for portrait mode (the camera is at the top when held that way), although it works fine in landscape, which is my preferred mode. The top has the power button and jack for a standard headset. The left side has volume +/- and the MicroUSB port. The bottom has the speakers in the middle, and the Dell asset tag. The right side has a compartment that opens to reveal the MicroSD card slot and a slot for a MicroSIM card (which is filled in for my WiFi model). The rear is smooth but not slippery.

Use:
The device is quite snappy in use, and never got hot even when running benchmarks or movies. The interface is pretty basic, but easy to use, unlike other vendors who put too much stuff on top of Android. I was able to open a lot of programs and switch back and forth between them easily; multitasking is quite good. I was concerned about the Intel Atom based tablet being fast enough, but this one does well (benchmarks below). HTML 5 and YouTube movies worked well and looked fine, but it will not support flash (see below). The screen is not the highest resolution (that would be the Nexus 7 in the Android community), but it is very clear, and will support HD. It can be seen even in bright sunlight, although I think it is really best indoors - it was readable in sunlight but not absolutely bright. The device includes the Android browser and Chrome, plus a minimal suite of included software, mostly Google products such as Mail and Calendar. Overall, I am pleased with the user experience.

Good:

+ Capable of 4G operation when ordered that way. Mine is the WiFi only model.

+ Support for a Micro SD card. I didn't test this because in my particular use I don't need that much storage. The box and Amazon page say it will support up to 64Gb, but the Dell web site says it will support 128Gb SDXC as well.

+ Very good screen angles, left, right, up, down. The resolution is not the highest, but it plays HD videos very well.

+ Battery life is about 8 hours of normal browsing at average screen brightness. I was able to browse for a couple of hours and then watch two full movies before it got below 30%. This was indoors; battery life will be different if the screen is turned all the way up, or automatically goes to maximum when used outside. Nevertheless I think for the size of the device it is good.

+ Performance is good, but not maximum. The device uses the Intel Atom (Z2560) chip running at 1.6 Ghz (the Amazon site says 2 Ghz). I was interested to discover that it is actually a dual core chip running with hyper-threading, rather than actually having 4 physical cores. It rendered a Quadrant benchmark score of 6102. As a comparison, my Snapdragon powered HTC One (also 1.6 Ghz, but four physical cores) achieved 9120 on the same test. However it feels fine in use, and because of the 2Gb of RAM (many tablets still use 1GB), multitasking was great.

+ There is not a lot of "bloatware" on the tablet - it installed pretty "clean".

+ There is a low resolution front camera for use when video conferencing.

+ Charging is via a standard MicroUSB, which is good, because in the past Dell has opted for non-standard chargers.

Not-So-Good:

- The tablet will not display flash content. This means that one cannot watch Amazon streaming movies, or most web cam type shows. I was simply unable to get the Adobe flash player working on this model. It comes with Android 4.2.2, which does not include Flash. There is a work around that I have used before (download Flash from the Adobe website), but that did not work; I finally gave up on trying to get Flash to show up. I subsequently tried it on my HTC One, which is running 4.3, and it doesn't work there either, so I did not detract any stars. The tablet will display HTML5 just fine.

- The screen really picks up fingerprints. I didn't detract for this either, but it will get marked up!

- There is only a single speaker, at the bottom of the device, so there is no stereo output. Sound is not really that good unless one is using headphones; it is strong but not that clear.

- The device comes with Pocket Cloud software. In theory, this allows one to access the desktop from the tablet. The Companion software is available for PC or Mac. When I attempted to use it my antivirus warned that there was an attack on a security hole, so I uninstalled it and did not go any further. I'm not sure what the software was attempting, but I won't accept any security risk.

- The main camera is a bit small - only 3 megapixels. Considering that a tablet this small really is designed to carry around, I would have hoped for an 8 Megapixel at least.

- My device has a slight defect. When the screen is held landscape and tilted so that one is looking down at the device, there is a strip of orange showing for about 1/3 the length of the screen, across the bottom. It is obviously some kind of manufacturing problem. Since it does not show up when the tablet is viewed from any angle except a ridiculously steep angle (I'd never use it this way), I am not going to submit it for warranty. Yes, it is a defect, but it doesn't impact normal use.

Summary: A small, very affordable tablet that works well and is convenient to carry. Highly recommended.

UPDATED BENCHMARKS Dec 2013:

3d Mark Ice Storm:
Score 6739 | Graphics 6403 | Physics 8253 | Graphics 1 31.3 | Graphics 2 25.1

Ice Storm Extreme:
Score 3695 | Graphics 3192 | Physics 8244 | Graphics 1 - 18.1 | Graphics 2 - 26.2 | Physics 26.2

Ice Storm Unlimited:
Score 6112 | Graphics 5624 | Physics 8778 | Graphics 1 33.7 | Graphics 2 19.2 | Physics 27.9

Antutu Benchmark:
Overall 18564 | Multitask 2776 | Dalvik 1274 | CPU Integer 1357 | CPU Floating point 1508 | RAM Operation 1120 | Ram Speed 1463 | 2D Graphics [800x1216] 1408 | 3d Graphics [800x1216] 5916 | Storage I/O 1127 | Database IO 615.

3.0 out of 5 stars its a good tablet....but, December 14, 2013
This review is from: Dell Venue 7 16 GB Tablet (Android) (Personal Computers)
so far so good. I like everything about this tablet. its fast and works very well, A lot of people complain about the screen its not a bad screen really. It could be better but i have seen much worse too. I am comparing this to a galaxy player that i had. This is a million times better then it ever was except for one thing. and that would be my biggest complaint about the dell venue is the camera's there is tablets out there for half this price with cameras twice as good as these are the camera on the front is completely useless for me, its way to blurry and you have to have a ton of light to even see anything and the back camera is the same way, it just does not take clear pictures at all, but i did expect that after seeing other reviews, just didn't thinking it would really be that bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice basic tablet; things to consider, December 3, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm really pleased with this tablet. It's thin, light, and not clunky at all--operation is very smooth. The screen has pretty good touch recognition (more on this later), and the screen is bright and clear. The WiFi connectivity is quite good (While this will vary based on your WiFi, of course, I do have a tablet that can't pick up a signal where this one can, so I'm referring to the tablet's ability itself).

The rest of my review may sound negative, but it's not--it's really just the things I noticed that I thought might help you with making a purchasing decision.

THE PHYSICAL TABLET

It's a nice size, although I'd recommend possibly going up to the 8 if you don't mind a larger size. I can see doing that if you're all thumbs. What I've found is that it can be a challenge for me to touch exactly the right thing, especially with long fingernails. I tried a few different stylus styles, and the one that has worked for me is a wide rubber tip stylus (which mimics a fingertip). It especially comes in handy for Internet surfing or when you need to click/select something very small. But if you're a bit clumsy with small screens, that might be something to keep in mind--especially if you plan to do any sort of word processing (without a keyboard) or e-mail. Certainly it's easier to use than a smartphone, though. And while I've seen it elsewhere mentioned as being pocket sized, you'd have to have rather large pockets to accommodate the dimensions (It doesn't fit any pockets I have).

The speaker is located on the bottom (when held the tall way). It probably would have been better for it to be on the top/side, since if it's propped up on something, the sound gets a bit muffled.

If a camera feature is important to you, then the one in this tablet may not be sufficient--it's really just passable.

USING, CHARGING, CONVENIENCE, ETC.

Turning the tablet on is a bit of a learning curve. I have to hold the button down for several seconds until the DELL logo shows up. Additionally, the screen blacks out pretty quickly, and this button has to be pressed to bring it back. When you use the tablet, you must drag the "locked" area to another one on the screen--I turned this feature off after figuring it out.

Perhaps I'm one of the few people in the world who didn't have one, but you have to have a Google account to get the most out of the tablet, such as being able to use Google Play and download apps. The process is easy, but I recommend trying to sign up from a desktop computer. When I tried to sign up on the tablet, anything--even highly obscure--I input for a new username said it was unavailable. I switched to a desktop, put in one of the same terms, and registered that way. It doesn't take too long to get an account.

The battery life isn't all that long--you'll likely need to plug it in once a day if you plan to use the tablet daily. However, it's convenient and this comes with an adapter for a wall outlet (unlike some tablets!).

My main surprise with this tablet was that it didn't come with a print manual! While a lot of what's on it is intuitive to figure out, and the best way to learn might be by exploring it, I'm the type of person who likes to have a manual due to being intimidated by unfamiliar technology.

I've tried to be honest about things, to the point where it possibly sounds like I don't like the tablet. I really do like it! These are just things I know I would have wanted to know before getting one, and thought would be things you might want to consider. I'm really happy with the tablet and its processing speed and other basics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, November 9, 2013
I am very pleased.
Overall good deal.

I admit I did not get my hopes up when I ordered it - $150 for 7" tablet? When the "big names" are selling at two to three times as much (or more)?

But I am quite happy with it.

* It is lightweight. A great size too - can hold it easily in one hand and navigate with the other.

* Screen is bright enough to see on a sunny day.

* Speed/Performance is very smooth. All my favorite Android apps run on it. (I was wondering about that since it's an Intel chip versus the ARM usually found on these devices.)

* Browsing the web is a breeze (home wifi).
Can easily zoom in out on the page areas for reading - double tap and/or pinching both work nicely.

* In general, a 7" screen is a bit small to watch movies. But the Venue plays them very well and sharp and crisp too.

* Downside is maybe battery life. But even that isn't too bad.
Just to see how it would do ... I used it at full screen brightness, playing HD video not stop streamed off the network -- and it lasted over 6 hours. (about 4 hours or so to recharge it from 0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet - (I wanted it mine for .cbr files as well as other multimedia demands), December 1, 2013
TorridlyBoredShopper "T(to the)B(to the)S" ("Daddy Dagon's Daycare" - Proud Sponsor of the Little Tendril Baseball Team, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been slow to pick up a new tablet after purchasing one a few years back, finding that initial exposure disappointing. A couple of months ago I did get a new one for my wife, and after playing with hers for a little while I decided I needed one of my own.

I'm really, really glad I got this model. I like it enough that I'm going to purchase another as a gift for family. With the holidays fast approaching, it would be a good addition for application use. My mother wants something that streams for shopping and watching videos and for applications like the bible online, and she also wants games. This handles all those well, plus it is easy to use even if a person isn't so computer savvy. The device is durable, lightweight, and you can see it well on bright days.I always hated not being able to do that - what's the point otherwise? It loads fast, processes well, and has all the user-friendly features I would want. You can easily access the menus, change settings, place applications or widgets where you want. The picture quality is great, coming in above my expectations, and the sound is nice. Accessing files from the SD card is easy, with everything loading fairly quickly. When you look at the price, it well surpasses others in the range too.

And battery life - that's been good.

Battery life has always been a sticking point with others, because they die so easily. This one, with features you can tinker with to save more energy, lasts a good deal longer than I expected. If I play games it burns it faster, but when I'm reading in the day or travelling and wanting to use it, it holds up well. The device charges decently fast too, which is pretty nice.

One thing I really wanted for myself was something that could easily read .cbr files (comic books) and .pdf files so I could carry them on the go. I have a Kindle but Kindles have an issue with that; they put borders around comics if you convert them yourself, making it tiny. Even when you add applications, they have yet to handle it well. This does a great job with them. I use Comicrack since I've used them for a long time and Foxit PDF for my PDF files; there are other programs but these do a great job.

Very pleased with this item!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, December 19, 2013
This review is from: Dell Venue 7 16 GB Tablet (Android) (Personal Computers)
I've had PC's for almost 20 years. But, I was born when Truman was president so my addiction to being on-line is minimal. My requirements for speed and data storage are easily met by this device. This is my first tablet. I bought it to use when I travel and to read Kindle books. I'm now using it all over the house. In my shop to look up some parts and plans. In the "throne room" to read the morning newspapers. And ... it also works great for Kindle books.

4.0 out of 5 stars exceeded expectations, November 13, 2013
This review is from: Dell Venue 7 16 GB Tablet (Android) (Personal Computers)
i bought these to use as an mp3 player. keep in mind it takes micro sdxc, not sdxc as the specs say. the biggest micro sdxc you can get is 64gb right now ( not 128gb) the processor is decent but obviously not as good what you will get in a more expensive tablet. android is 'barebones' without bloatware and i love that. the screen is good but not great. the speakers are pretty bad sounding unfortunately, but the sound sounds great on headphones.

will recommend and this will do most of what you will need in a tablet. unless you need to take notes or sketch and then you might want to get a more expensive one with a stylus.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 week in, November 10, 2013
This review is from: Dell Venue 7 16 GB Tablet (Android) (Personal Computers)
This tablet is awesome so far. My first tablet, this thing is just an over sized smart phone. Comparing it to my HTC ONE X Plus, it does everything my phone does with a bigger screen. Google Earth, Field Runners, Temple Run 2, Yahoo Fantasy Football, Google Drive,World of Goo, TW Battles, Google Play Store, Netflix.....plays them all no problem. $150 well spent!

Dell Venue 7 16 GB Tablet (Android)
$231.51 $139.99