Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 30, 2012
I had been using only a laptop for some time, when I became addicted to World of Tanks, and also wanted to start doing some more 3D modeling and flight sim work. It was obvious that I was going to need a new desktop. In the past I have both built my desktops, or purchased them direct from mainstream manufacturers. Building a desktop always is a bit of a hassle, as I have to spend hours reading up on the latest hardware developments, building component and compatibility lists, and find the best vendor prices, etc.

I'm getting old, my time is valuable to me, so I decided to purchase a complete PC. My first Dell, was in 1990, a 386sx/16. My second was in 1995, a XPS-P100C, and now my third, is this XPS-8500.

On the good side: great performance, extremely fast Amazon Prime shipping, Windows 7, runs World of Tanks, FlightGear, and Rise of Flight very well, Blender and Gimp 2.8 run super fast. Nice GT640 1GB graphics card, 12GB of RAM, and a 2TB HDD. ALSO NO CRUFTWARE/BLOATWARE. It came with a free McAffe virus package that was easily removed and replaced with AVG. That was it. Wonderful compared to the ridiculous piles of bloatware that you get on an HP PC. Also the machine is extremely quiet, and features USB 3.0 ports on the front and rear, and onboard WiFi with internal antenna routing.

And the case! it is pleasing to look at! I'm not embarrassed to have it on my desk, compared to the cheap Blue LED and EXTREME ANGLED PLASTIC of most aftermarket or boutique PCs. It has a pleasing backwards slant and rounded but not over the top corners.

On the bad side: No surprise here, but the included keyboard is miserable, and the mouse isn't all that good either. barely adequate. I replaced the keyboard with a Unicomp Buckling spring keyboard, and a Logitech MX518 Gaming mouse. But that is about it.

All in all a neat PC, just so easy to get going with it, no endless tweaking. Open box, put on desk, plug in and go!
on September 15, 2012
I am heavily into 3D graphics, so my expectations for the Dell XPS-X8500 were very high. It is, indeed, a very nice machine. The specs are very good for what you pay for it. I was most interested in the NVidia graphics card that comes with it. I bought this Dell to replace my older HP Pavilion 64-bit quad-core, which had served me well for 4+ years before finally giving it up. The HP was, for it's time, a very fast machine. I was expecting the Dell to mop the floor with the HP, but that just didn't happen. In fact, the only real speed improvement of the Dell over the HP was in the 3D graphics rendering area. The Dell allows me the ability to render GPU graphics with just the NVidia graphics card, which saves quite a bit of time. The overall performance of the Dell, however, is just not what I thought I would be getting. I was prepared to be at least a little dazzled, but I'm not. It isn't so much that it's "slow", but again, I wanted to see the HP blown out of the water and it just didn't happen.

On a more positive note, I really like all of the USB ports available on the Dell (both USB 2.0 and 3). I have 4 external hard drives hooked up to it along with various other peripherals. The 2TB hard drive is great to have also, since I do video and animation work along with 3D stills.

The greatest negative for me on the Dell is the keyboard. I've owned quite a few computers over the years and the keyboard that comes with the Dell is the worst I've ever had. I promptly replaced it with the wonderful solar-powered Logitech wireless keyboard. I also replaced the mouse with a Logitech wireless mouse, which is also another beautifully designed peripheral.

Would I recommend the Dell XPS X8500? Absolutely. It's a good, solid machine. I'm not a gamer, but I'm sure it would easily hold it's own in that area. For 3D graphics artists like myself, I'm not so sure. The Dell performs fine, but don't expect to be razzle-dazzled by it's somewhat average performance in the high-end graphics arena. It's good, but not great in this area.
on November 16, 2012
I was a Dell customer many years ago but after some disappointing service and products I stopped buying. For sometime now the xps8500 has piqued my attention. The specs on the machine were exactly what I wanted and at a great price as opposed to me putting together the parts myself. Machine runs fast and quiet. The low noise level was a pleasant surprise I expected for such a top machine that it would run a bit louder. My only grouse is the Dell bloatware. Almost 30gigs+ that can't just be uninstalled, but this can be fixed easily when I upgrade to windows 8. Still a great product handles video playback with no stuttering even with large mkv files. Gaming as well no issue StarCraft II runs smoothly and details look sharp.
on January 8, 2013
My original Dell purchased in 2005 was a great machine, but over the last couple of years began developing a lot of weird issues that made it very frustrating to use. I'm a hardware guy, I've built computers and can diagnose hardware issues and replace parts, but I'm not an operating system, software guru so I was over my head. This new machine is great. I needed to have Windows7 as the Serif Graphics software suite I use currently isn't rated for Win 8. I'm retired, an amateur photographer as well as volunteer photo archivist/graphics specialist for the Montana Military Museum and I do graphics work for my church parish. With an i7 Intel processor and 12GB ram my graphics work flies. After years of using WinXP I'm finding I actually like Win7 at least as well if not better. The way Win Explorer displays folders and files is much more graphic and easier to use. I no longer have to completely build my own folder/file system in order to save work and know it won't be a hassle to find it again. While the actual file structure seems similar the way it is displayed is much simpler to me.

My wife is impressed enough with the machine that she purchased two for her office to replace the oldest two (hers being the very oldest) of four on the server. Our family has now had three Dell laptops and two desktops since 2002 and have been very happy with them overall. While tech support has not always been U.S. based it's been quite helpful and I've had some great conversations with techs in Hyderabad, India and Manilla, P.I. The couple of times we've needed parts they have been promptly received and easily installed. I have no problem recommending Dell computers based on my experience with the company's products.
on March 7, 2013
The dell arrived within the time it was projected too so no sweat, on that. When I opened the box I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of extra packing to dispose of. I purchased this after a lot, of shopping around. I saw all the hate dell reviews, and was a little worried. I don't know how those buyer's pc's became faulty but Iv'e had no problems at all with this desktop. It's very quite ,easy to set up, and has lots of hard drive space. When I bought this pc I planed to use my sony brava flat screen as a monitor, that did not work out. I don't know whats up with my tv but it will not take a signal from this pc. So, I had just been given a 21 inch acer monitor, when hooked up, Ta-Da away we went. First not a lot of bloat wear,and the little there was I dumped with no trouble at all. Then I downloaded some useful free apps antivirals,pdf,vlc,openoffice,ect.. One of the apps. was a driver scanner, I scanned and found the dell had 14 drivers out of date. I was not surprised, tech advances you must up date; I down loaded and installed them with no problems. After all that I played some moves,music,assassin's creed 1&2, and the saboteur. They all played great no problems, then I checked the blue tooth, worked well but a little too many clicks to set up, imho. Now after all that which happened over 3 days, I cloned my drive on to another desktop drive and put it in a safe place. I advise everyone to do this with all new pc's. Back up,Back up,Back up!!!! Well, I've had it up & running for about 8 weeks smooth sailing so far and I don't foresee any problems. I am not a computer jockey by any measuring stick ,but I've picked up a few things in the school of hard knocks. This is a well made pc.
on August 5, 2012
I have learned to be faithful to Dell for my multi-year at-desk word processing project. The 4-year-old Dell Inspiron i530 was faithful and adequate, but at last developed a video card problem, and that pushed me to buy a new one. Careful comparisons of features and processor and prices brought me to the new Dell XPS, and confirmed Amazon.com as the price-performer. The computer arrived as scheduled, was installed quickly and with no problems, and it is a huge step-up in speed. Opening a large Word document used to take a minute, and now it's only a few seconds. This is not only a fine computer for games and video work, but also a blazing word processor. Very highly recommended!
on December 12, 2012
Great powerful desktop. I purchased this system from amazon when the mother board and processor on my old Dell XPS system fried. The system is amazingly fast. My main use is Adobe Photoshop CS6. I purchased the model with Windows 7.
on September 29, 2012
Bought this to be my server for home network. It has plenty of memory/speed to edit my home videos but it didn't come with a PCI express card with a firewire port to plug my video camera to it. I bought one and easily installed it. Other than that I'm very happy with it.
on December 25, 2012
I'm quite pleased. I was in a situation where my old computer was dying quickly. I also needed to stay with Windows 7 because of software I'm using for my business. This worked perfectly. A powerful machine, with the features I wanted, and Windows 7.

I complicated the set up by purchasing a SSD and installing it to move the operating system over and boot from it. Now that I've got everything going, I'm very happy!
on July 23, 2014
I bought this when I thought everything was going over to Windows 8. I didn't have a touchscreen and wasn't willing to spend the money for one for a PC. I'll use that money on a touchscreen laptop. It's a great computer, fast, plenty of ram and hard drive space.I added a second internal hard drive for backups and after a year not everything is working great. I"m not sure if you can still but this with Windows 7 but it's still a great computer.