5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection
Published 12 months ago by Ryan

1.0 out of 5 stars Real big let down.
I generally tend to wait a few months before writing a review for a complex product like a Laptop but knowing that this may be out of date and might not even be available, am for the first time putting the review with less than one month of usage.

About me:
Published 10 months ago by Dheeraj Nagpal

1.0 out of 5 stars Real big let down., April 16, 2014

About me:
I am quite a techno-savvy end user who has over 25 years of experience with computers, have worked on most OS including Windows 3.1 to up to 8.0, Linux, Sco Unix, Solaris and even most mobile ones like WebOS, QNX and PalmOS.
I purchased this laptop for the following purpose.

1. I wanted a small (<14 Inch) and light laptop, Ideally an ultrabook
2. Sufficient memory to run virtual machines.
3. Gives me a long enough battery to last through a day.

After using this laptop for a week or so, here is what I have found out about this car.

Pros
1. Really well built. I love the build quality. It looks good, is strong and stable.
2. Sound - The speakers have proper bass and effects to them.
3. Overall performance - The machine is quite fast out of the box thanks to the lack of crapware on it. It comes with only two pieces of crapware. Mcafee and Windows. Still, the application performance is quite decent compared to other Windows laptops.
4. Resolution - The resolution is slightly higher (1600 X 900) but it makes a huge difference from the standard 1377X768.

Cons
1 Battery - This has really pathetic battery. Doesn't even last 4 hours. I have a year old Dell Latitude and that has longer battery life. What is the point of an ultrabook if it cannot give you 7-8 hours of charge. This thing is advertised as a day long battery. I am taking away 3 stars just for this. Initially I thought that battery may improve after 2-3 charges etc but it is still the same. Also, the battery is not user replaceable.
2 Wake Up time - This is shown as a positive of this machine. Sorry. Absolutely wrong. From hibernation, it takes over 30 seconds to wake up and from suspend, it takes 4-5 seconds. Worst, when waking up from hibernation, it doesn't show anything on screen or any user feedback is present and makes you wonder if the machine is stuck. I ended up pressing the power button 2-3 times thinking it is not working.
3. Graphics - The Nvidia graphics card is not used for regular work. It gets kicked in only on 3D. Two gripes here. First, the battery is 4 hours when Nvidia graphics card is not working, means it will be even worst. Second, on windows system experience index, the gaming score is 6.7 whereas the desktop score is 4.7 showing how much lower the score comes on 2D and Aero performance.
4. Layout. There are some issues with the layout like the trackpad is slightly on right and the lower part of thumb touches it while doing touch-typing. also, there are no Pg Down, Pg Up, Home and End keys. You access them using the Function menu. Looks a small issue but if you work a lot on Excel (CTRL + Pg Up or PgDown), you realize the importance. Same on web pages.

Some other minor issues too with the product but overall, you are better off with a different laptop in the same price range. it doesn't justify the price they are charging for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, February 21, 2014
This review is from: Dell XPS 14.0-Inch Ultrabook (Personal Computers)
I've had many laptops since I was about 13 years old, and I'm now 20, this one being the absolute best one. Tons of RAM, an amazing i7 processor, though there is a newer model of the 3537u, the specs are almost exactly the same. The 32gb SSD really does allow the PC to start up incredibly fast. It feels totally solid, it doesn't seem like it will break from anything! It does have a little weight to it for being an "Ultrabook," but at least you have the reassurance that it won't break if you drop it accidentally. And the speakers are incredible as well! For such a small laptop it really has incredible audio performance.

The only problem I have with this order, nothing to do with the computer--it is perfect--is that they have installed on it Windows 7 Home Premium. Ideally, Windows 8.1 would be the best because it is just that much faster than Win7, but its only another $70 if you're a student and you buy it from the Microsoft website. Again, that is no reflection on the computer itself.

All in all, if you can afford to spend $800 on the PC, then do it! And if you have the $70-$200 to also upgrade it to Win8.1 for the maximum performance, do it too! You will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light-weight, sturdy case, very fast, February 27, 2014
This review is from: Dell XPS 14.0-Inch Ultrabook (Personal Computers)
This Dell Windows 7 "ultra-book" is very sleek, lightweight, and fast. It handles anything my desktop could handle. A couple of minor issues to note are that there is no VGA connector to connector to a LCD projector. You can buy a mini-port to VGA adaptor and that seems to work fine, but it's another piece of hardware to remember to take on the road. Also there is no DVD tray, so if you're loading software from disks, you'll need an external DVD drive. All these are trade-offs to reduce the size and weight, and I'm fine with them. I've not run the battery down yet, but the indicated life of the battery seems to be reasonable (3 hours+). I had expected a longer battery life, but I've not yet tweaked the power saving settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied with my purchase so far., March 16, 2014
This review is from: Dell XPS 14.0-Inch Ultrabook (Personal Computers)
I needed a laptop that's robust (since I am quite clumsy) and has good enough performance for CAD/electromagnetic simulations and casual gaming (League of Legends for example). This laptop met my needs quite well. Here are some thoughts on its characteristics.

First of all, its appearance is definitely something that stands out. It's very sleek as the case is thin and made of aluminium while the keyboard surface is covered with a rubbery material that is comfortable to rest on and easy to clean. There are two USB ports on the left (I would have liked a third one on the right, but I don't mind that much) and when plugging stuff in it feels quite tight and gives a sense of safety and neatness. The charger jack is big, unlike the newer, Windows 8 models of this laptop that have a small, flimsy plug. Overall you can tell this ultrabook has a quality build that is sturdy and stylish. Considering the lack of a dvd drive you might expect it to be lighter, however, but it's still easy to carry around. Because of its looks (also since I am used to using ugly black plastic laptops) I have admittedly developed an almost obsessive urge to be overprotective of this precious precious jewel and I wrap it with the air-bags it was shipped with when I have to move it, like a paranoid fool - that's how much I like it.

The keyboard feels great to type on and the action is appropriate. There is no numpad because of the size (14'') of the laptop, but it allows for decent sized and comfortably spaced out keys. The backlight has 3 settings: off, on, and a dimmer on - when pressing the backlight button on the keyboard, the light smoothly fades in and out which gives it a cool feel..."ooh"
The touchpad is ok. The laptop comes with the Dell touchpad software which allows for some user customization of gestures and clicks. However I wasn't able to get the two-finger tap to work as a middle click (two finger scrolling works fine), which I am used to for browsing, and had to settle for the left+right click combo, which does not respond 100% of the time, due to the essentially one-button see-saw kind of button (that Macs also have).

The screen is HD+ so the resolution is 1600x900 which is pretty high and nice to look at. Stuff on screen might appear small, if you are used to non-HD displays, which might need some getting used to. It works great when you have a large schematic to look at for CAD applications or any type of case where a lot of data is displayed on screen (Excel spreadsheets, etc.).

The performance is great. It boots up quite fast, definitely faster than my 3-year old laptop but don't imagine anything crazy. When it sleeps (after having closed the lid), it wakes up after opening up the lid automatically, in a few seconds; I often however make the mistake of pressing the power button after opening the lid which causes the wake-up to take significantly longer (that's my fault though).
The SSD is integrated in a not very obvious way, as the laptop comes with two partitions: a 436GB main and an 8GB data partition (this caused me to freak out and think I got an 8GB SSD instead of 32GB). I expected Windows to be installed on the SSD and everything else on the regular hdd, but this not the case. The SSD is hidden and is being used by Intel Rapid Storage for caching and starting up from sleep and what not. I'm not sure how efficient this and if it takes full advantage of the SSD - if I eventually format the computer I might change this.
I have no complaints regarding performance within Windows; although it is 3rd generation iCore7, it is still an iCore7. My simulations (programs such as Agilent ADS, Sonnet, etc.) run really fast, LoL does not drop below 60fps with standard medium settings (I'm quite sure it can easily handle high settings thanks to the dedicated GeForce card), programs in general load quickly and you can have a lot of programs and windows/tabs open at the same time with no issue (lots of RAM). The fan does get loud however when the system is performing resource-hungry tasks, which could be bothersome. Still, I have had no issues with overheating so far (as in heating to the extent that it causes restarts and other issues, because normal heating does occur and can be felt at the top part of the keyboard and under the laptop), even when using the laptop in-bed (which is generally to be avoided since heat dissipation becomes difficult with blankets, sheets, etc.).

The speakers on this thing are probably the loudest I have ever encountered on a laptop. On the highest setting, you can feel the body vibrate, yet sound distortion is not that audible. Pre-installed software includes Dell Audio, which allows you to customize some equalizer settings, etc.
The laptop has two microphones, and the same software allows you to enable echo-cancellation/noise suppression, etc. When using Skype, friends have reported good sound quality as well as camera definition. Also I have had no problems with the wifi adapter.

The battery on an average run is around 3 hours, which is not too bad considering the hardware specs. I don't think the 11 hours that is mentioned in the description is very realistic - even with the battery-saving options enabled, brightness down, sound disabled, wi-fi disabled you might get up to 5 hours but not much more than that, unless you are sitting there just waving your mouse around in safe mode or something :P.

Finally, I consider the fact that the OS is Windows 7 as a pro. I could live with the metro tiles and Windows 8 if I had a touchscreen laptop, but I did not want to spend money on a touchscreen.

Overall I am satisfied with my purchase. I have been using this laptop for a month now and I really like it. Of course it is not perfect; there are some things that could be better, e.g. the fan, but at 800$ I don't think you can find a laptop with better specs, aesthetics and build-quality. When buying a laptop I would usually look for whichever one had the best specs under $1000. If I were to do the same this time I would have gotten a laptop with a newer i7 and better gfx card like the Lenovo Y510p at around $900. But I decided that the sturdy slim design, bigger SSD, Win7 OS, and decreased possibility of having overheating problems (as is the case with super-top-of-the line hardware-wise but lower price range laptops) made this laptop worth choosing - and I'm glad I made this decision. As a result of the abovementioned characteristics it actually feels great to use this ultrabook, and this is something I never considered important until now.
If significant problems arise with the laptop, I will make sure to update the review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, February 26, 2014
This review is from: Dell XPS 14.0-Inch Ultrabook (Personal Computers)
Wowed the second I received the package. I've owned many computers and this is definetely the best one for the price. You wouldn't be able to find these specs in a 14" laptop without shelling out upwards of 1,000 to 1,200 dollars. If you're on the fence, consider this review the nudge that pushes you over to this side.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing laptop, March 21, 2014
Robert Nelson (Thompson's Station, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dell XPS 14.0-Inch Ultrabook (Personal Computers)
I have had many issues with this laptop. Waking from sleep mode takes almost a full minute, wireless adapter cutting in and out, screen lookups, videos freezing, total lack of documentation with the unit, etc. Trying to get technical support involves trying to communicate with someone who hardly speaks English. Very disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Bang for the Buck at this Time (March, 2014), March 10, 2014
This review is from: Dell XPS 14.0-Inch Ultrabook (Personal Computers)
Forget the remote chance you get a lemon. You probably won't, but it happens. This review assumes you get a healthy computer.

- The processor - try to find an i7 laptop for cheaper than $800. Even the $1600 ones are i5's. Yes, there are faster i7's out there. Yes, you can get an i5 to run at about the same speed for less. But this is an amazing CPU to start the PC with.

I intend for this machine to run Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver, MS Office - and VERY quick.

Now try to find that i7 processor with 8 GB of RAM, and ANYwhere close to $800. There's like one ASUS on Newegg and that's it.

_________________________________________

The Cons:

As I was typing this review, the screen froze and I had to hard reset the laptop (hold the power down til it turns off). This is the 2nd time it's happened in the first 4 hours of operation. Not a good sign - and frankly, I'm not sure what to do...

The screen only flips down like 40 degrees. That seems unusual.

I thought there was no 32 GB SSD. The other reviews said not. Look at the comment by Rich in my review. Apparently, there is one. He's right, it's there in the device manager, but it isn't really apparent. Windows does seem to hide it...

Only 2 USB ports, but they're 3.0, so that's good for an external HD. But if you want to plug in two more things, like a DVD writer (because there isn't one inside), and say a wireless mouse/keyboard, you have to use USB hub. Suddenly, your laptop doesn't feel so portable.

Other info:

You've heard it called a "throwaway culture," and this laptop's market position underscores that idea. Every year, a new Intel processor comes out. What happens to the old PCs, from just last year? Do they all get sold? Repurposed? What about those with Windows 7? It's not sexy. No commercials with tablet PC-holding dancers. Computers are mass produced every year.

And they wind up being sold through 3rd party sites (Amazon), with 3rd party-rate support. Here's my point: try finding a record of this model laptop (XPS14-7272sLV) on Dell's site. Heck, just google the model number and see what comes up: almost nothing.

It makes you wonder if it's too good to be true? Is that why this laptop is $800? Is that why it froze twice in its first 4 hours? Is that why its ship date said 2/18, but I got it w/two-day shipping on 3/10? Was it sitting in a warehouse since last year? Did the warehouse employees use it for a week before I got it?

No way to know. I might update the review after I've used it more. For now, I'm holding out hope that it won't freeze anymore, and will somehow stabilize as I load it with CPU-intensive software...you know, break it in.

At least that's how it works with baseball gloves.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's pain to work on this machine!!, March 20, 2014
This review is from: Dell XPS 14.0-Inch Ultrabook (Personal Computers)
When I received this laptop I was very happy. I liked look and feel of this laptop. But the problem comes when it start hanging while working. the only option to resolve this issue was to switch off the power and start again.
Amaozn has wonderful customer service and they sent me the replacement next day only and I thought my pain is gone but next day only I got Blue screen twice and hanging problem still persist. Planning to sending this back and search started for new machine.
Note: I was using this Laptop only for office work!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressed so far, February 27, 2014
This review is from: Dell XPS 14.0-Inch Ultrabook (Personal Computers)
this dell laptop would be my first dell computer. the screen brightness is excellent, I can use it perfectly well when outdoors. without any program installs, I am averaging 40 seconds boot up. (expecting it to change after I install an SSD). the keyboard seems to be of a great size, ive read some complaints about the size of the keyboard but we all have different hand sizes. I am 5'6'' tall, to give you an idea that it suits someone of my size very well. it has a smooth black finish on the bottom and on the keyboard layout.
(I will be updating this small review soon, wanted to inform some possible buyers that this laptop is a great buy)
i'll be happy to answer any questions.

EDIT: so far the battery is not as described, im averaging 3-5 hours, no more than 6 though.

1.0 out of 5 stars I think this defective to begin with, April 21, 2014
This review is from: Dell XPS 14.0-Inch Ultrabook (Personal Computers)
I've had this for about a month now and still struggling. I immediately plugged it in overnight when I received it. I opened the lid for the first time and it was requesting safe mode boot due to a bluescreen. Really? I've been dealing with bluescreens for a few weeks now The screen was also fluttering like old school poor bunny-ear TV reception.

I immediately did the windows updates. The problems are with My Dell website and the drivers. The bluescreens seem to be caused by wifi and Bluetooth driver issues, which reflects what others have been commenting.

My Dell will analyze your computer and tell you what drivers you need to update. Sounds great, but really screwed up with this model. There must be 30 drivers, multiple gb, yes gigabytes of drivers to update.

For wifi and Bluetooth, there is Intel Centrino, Killer, Dell, and Windows drivers to update. Multiple of each. I think they are all fighting each other. Update all of them? Which is controlling wifi and bluetooth? Both wifi and Bluetooth have failed me, recognizing nothing, yet "working properly". Half of the driver updates have "failed installation". Blue screens mixed in. The My Dell blue screen analyzer says to scan for viruses and...wait for it...update drivers. Are you kidding me?

Even after installing the drivers that did take, some of them multiple times, the My Dell analyzer still shows all of them needing to be installed. My IT tech at work has the computer and is working on it. It's been a week and she is digging into the problems. I may need to update this review.

Pro's:
Price, bought at an Amazon price drop, cant beat the features and price
Hard drive + 32gb SSD, which is there, for boot-up speed
Backlit keyboard! great feature
8gb RAM, did not need to upgrade and will only go up to 16gb
i7 processor, albeit 3rd generation
size, thin
NVIDEA video card a plus
Well built, gorilla glass,
Screen resolution
Battery life, 69 whr, 8 cell, seems to last a few hours, I have not timed it
Decent sound thus far for a laptop
Came with a year of Mcafee anti virus
Not a lot of useless software clogging the computer
soft smooth rubber layer underneath and on top
Windows 7 (I don't like windows 8)

Cons:
**See above, there may be some serious software/hardware issues. I have yet to deal with Dell, which will be my last option.
My Dell, which is a great feature in theory, screws up this computer
upper end of 4 lbs, but big battery could be contributing, plus beefy construction, OK with me though
Battery is internal, so you can't buy a backup spare and swap out
No dvd drive, you expect one with a 14", even an ultrabook. I already bought an external dvd drive
Only 2 usb ports, bought a Bluetooth mouse, but as mentioned the Bluetooth issues
Dell support, not that I've called them, they appear to try, but always have a loophole to negate any warranty support and blame windows or other software, generally most issues is "not their responsibility". I'm not saying their useless, but always try to worm out of supporting and fixing your computer. from experience. Historically they have taken my computers and wiped them clean, reset them to "factory condition", but wipes out all software that came with the computer other than windows. they seem to do that for free.

Bottom line, the low price may not be worth the headaches. I think dell is moving to a new Xps model and pushing these out as clearance, knowing the issues per the reviews. I'm hoping my IT tech can make this work.

Dell XPS 14.0-Inch Ultrabook