I received the Dell XPS 27 Touchscreen Desktop free from Amazon to try and review.

Published 12 months ago by Ctwink

2.0 out of 5 stars CPU Fan Failure
This is a great computer except I had an 'Out of the Box" CPU fan failure. Bought it directly from Dell and had purchased the in home warranty service. My first experience with this model is to have a technician come to my home and replace the fan.

Published 8 months ago by Kindle Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't stop telling people how wonderful this computer is!!!!, December 9, 2013
This review is from: Dell XPSo27-7143BLK 27-Inch All-in-One Touchscreen Desktop (3.1 GHz Intel Core i7-4770S Processor, 16GB DDR3, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD, Windows 8) Piano Black (Personal Computers)

First off, the screen is WONDERFUL, BIG, and BRIGHT. I knew it was going to be a 27" monitor when I ordered it, but you have no idea how big that is until it actually arrives. The touchscreen capability is flawless (I have two iPod Touchs, an iPad, and an iPad mini so I have experience with how a touchscreen SHOULD work). The picture and resolution is really clear with its Wide-Quad HD and 2560x1440 resolution - which is better than any of my other monitors (or my TV). The on-board video card, an NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB DDR5, is fast enough for normal computing activity and games. I'm not sure I would play graphic-intensive games on it - Call of Duty: Ghosts will work with a 2GB video card, but its recommended that you have a 760M 4GB card.

The RAM -16GB - is also average for what most computers come with nowadays, but is plenty for basically anything you want to do. Even RAM-hog games recommend that you have a minimum of 8 GB - so 16GB is definitely an upgrade. The processor, an 4th Generation Intel® Core(tm) i7-4770s Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.9 GHz), is blazing fast and definitely hits not only the minimum requirements, but also what's recommended for computer-intensive software, applications, and games. The onboard memory is GIGANTIC at 2 TBs! It's twice as big as the memory on my other desktop and unless I start loading dozens of movies on it, it's bigger than I can fill in a lifetime.

The computer came with very little software pre-loaded - basically a trial version of Microsoft Office Home 2013, a 12 month subscription of McAfee LiveSafe, and Cyberlink Media Suite for Blu Ray. However, apps and programs are very easily added through the Microsoft Store - and a great number of them are free. Not having used a non-Apple app, I found the applications very similar (if not the same) as what you can find on the App Store (Skype, MLB.com, Angry Birds, etc). Windows 8's default setting also displays your apps and software in a similar way as the Apple iOS interface, although with a click of the mouse you can return the screen to the same "Windows" look. One thing I had an issue with was Windows 8 doesn't really show you that you have several programs running in the background and/or how to shut them off. I hear that the 8.1 update upgrades the functionality of and closed some of the bugs of Win 8.

The Infinity Premium speakers and Waves MaxxAudio 4 audio-processing sound beautiful - which I was pretty surprised about considering how small the speakers appear. The computer comes with a Blu Ray player which is a huge upgrade over the standard XPS 27 which only has a optical DVD player. The Dell XPS 27 also comes with an in-monitor video camera which is great for Skyping family or whatever you could use it for. I counted at least six USB ports (utilizing USB 3.0), two HDMI ports and several other media/digital ports so it's very functional for any use. It is kind of tight back there with most of the ports clustered in the center of the screen back right behind the monitor stand. I had to put the computer down on its face to plug the power cord in which is sub-optimal and with several components plugged in at once, the back of your computer can turn into a Christmas tree lights bundle. However, there are two USB ports, a memory card port, and the speaker ports on the side of the computer which is much easier to utilize. I was somewhat disappointed with the standard keyboard that comes with the XPS 27. It was very small and flat and I not only found it somewhat hard to use, but I also couldn't use it long without my wrists getting sore. The mouse is decent and both are wireless which nowadays is a must-have.

Since this is an all-in-one computer/monitor and a 27" monitor, the weight of the computer is notable. It doesn't weigh a ton, but I'm just noting that it's a lot more than even my 30" monitor that I have on my other desktop and probably twice as much as my 22" IBM laptop. That being said, the monitor stand is strong, heavy duty, and really great with its dual-hinge capability. I had no problems positioning the screen without it sliding down from its own weight. Obviously there are other options when it comes to monitor sizes. Dell alone sells several different sized all-on-ones including the Dell XPS One 27 XPSo27-6476BK 27-Inch Touch All-in-One Desktop, Dell Inspiron 2020 io2020T-5000BK 20-Inch All-in-One Touchscreen Desktop and Dell Inspiron 2330io 2330T-5000BK 23-Inch All-in-One Touchscreen Desktop which are varying quality and price. So its really up to you. I think the 27" monitor really caters to the power-user who is looking for not only a big computer monitor, but also who might simultaneously use this as another television.

In my mind, this would be the perfect computer to setup in your kitchen or living room - allows you to watch TV, listen to music, run software programs or apps, and quickly access the web all in a convenient central location. Overall I can't give this computer enough kudos. I'm absolutely in love with it! And this is saying A LOT as I've had issues with Dell as a company (I've owned at least four Dell computers). However, the XPS 27 all-in-one monitor/computer is big, beautiful, and knocks the ball WAY out of the park. The negatives I list above - that are actually about something that Dell can control - are honestly very minor when the positives so clearly outweigh everything else. If Dell keeps turning out computers like this, they'll not only save the company, but also resurrect the Dell brand name. Almost makes me want to take back some of the things I've said about Dell...

2.0 out of 5 stars CPU Fan Failure, April 14, 2014

Dell's quality has really declined - for a very expensive computer, this level of quality is unacceptable and it could not have been tested prior to shipment as the fan failure message appears the moment you power up and you have to Strike F1 to continue. I have searched the Dell Community and this is a common problem across several different models for the past couple of years- you would think they would have fixed it by now

So far, other than this issue, the screen is superb and everything else works well but I have only had it for two days.

Will update this post as I see how the service technician performs.

UPDATE

I have had this computer for several months now and it has been nothing but trouble. Lots of "blue screens" which I thought were a thing of the past. Kernel Security failures, failure to power up correctly and if you plug in a separate hard drive it shuts the computer down and you have to start again in safe mode. Windows updates fail consistently. Some programs wont run on this machine but will run on my laptop which also has Windows 8.1 - go figure.

I don't know how much of this is the computer and how much is windows 8.1 but this is BY FAR the worst computer I have ever owned. I had transferred everything from my old computer to this one and I am slowly transferring everything back. Dell is no help nor is Microsoft - they are both into the finger-pointing game. I think it is time to move on from Dell which is a shame as I have been a customer for well over 15 years.

3.0 out of 5 stars slow wi-fi, February 15, 2014
Loved everything about this unit, including the blue-ray player Used the system for about 2 weeks and all was well. Then tried to watch a Netflix streamed movie and noted constant buffering. It appears that the wifi speed was absurdly slow ( my old laptop next to it downloaded 5 times faster) Spent days with the online help guys..no avail . Dell sent out a hardware guy that replaced the wifi guts in the computer...and it got slower. Returned it to Amazon on their great return policy. If it wasn't for this problem would have bought an additional one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!!!, April 13, 2014
This computer displays crisp and bright images! The start up is incredibly fast and I personally love windows 8.1 ...the computer came with version 8 but then was updated. Win 8 takes getting use to because there are changes in the way I did things but didn't take long to figure out and I haven't found anything in my previous software that conflicts.
The computer was so easy to set up out of the box and runs quietly, is fast and looks great!

5.0 out of 5 stars A friend bought the Dell XPS27 and loved it so, August 20, 2014
Decided to buy a new computer instead of building or updating my self-built PC, which I've always done in the past. A friend bought the Dell XPS27 and loved it so, after doing some research, I decided to get one also. I tell you, Dell went all out to build the right stuff in the XPS27. It's fast. It boots up as fast as my old computer comes out of sleep mode. It's expensive but, being a bit of a computer geek, I didn't mind paying the price. Good job, Dell!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but takes a some time and effort to upgrade to 8.1, September 26, 2014
Fast, Nice screen,almost silent in operation. Mine came with Windows 8.0 and to upgrade to 8.1 it took about 3 hours to download and install the 118 windows updates to 8.0 after initial starting up and then download and install windows 8.1 .

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It - Can Never Go Back, August 26, 2014
So far, I've only had it for a few weeks (I'll update this review later, if needed), but I'm pretty much blown away by it. Totally satisfied. I'm really loving the big screen, which at first I thought might be TOO big for me. Turns out, I can never go back to a smaller screen. Even my wife is jealous now, and she's telling me that her 23-inch feels too small. I agree with her!

Keep in mind though -- this is my replacement for a 2006 Dell XPS, which was 32-bit, came with a 300 GB hard drive, and had an Intel processor that pre-dated the i-series.

What I can say about this machine is that it's quite fast and enjoyable to use. Boots up in a matter of seconds. Runs a ton of apps at the same time without any stuttering or lagging.

The display is beautiful. I can view full 1080p movies on it, which my smartphone shoots, as well as high-resolution photos from my DSLR camera. There is definitely some glare, especially for me, because my desk is right next to the massive floor-to-ceiling windows. I knew about this before buying it though, and thought this would be a big problem for me, but it really isn't. You just need to max out the brightness on the screen and you'll be fine. Also, I mainly use this thing at night, so there's really no glare if you put a room lamp behind it.

Did take a bit of time to get used to Windows 8, but once I made the transition, I learned to love it. It grew on me like a fungus.

4.0 out of 5 stars Two months and still enjoying the computer, October 27, 2013
A. Irvin "3boys" (Oviedo, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This is my first all-in-one computer. I really like the big screen and the wireless keyboard and mouse work pretty well. The auto off of the mouse is a little annoying but I assume the batteries will last longer ... we will see. This is our kitchen computer and we wanted a clean look which this computer delivers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best machine I have ever sat before, June 18, 2014
High end to be sure, but worth every penny if you can afford it.

That solid state drive surprised me, it helped Win 8.1 start up in about 10 seconds. I like how there is a built in sensor for wireless devices, it picked up my preferred wireless mouse without a hiccup.

I was happy to see that non-HD video files are not noticeably grainy with the giant screen. The screen repels fingerprints to a surprising degree.

Dell has outdone their selves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly All-In-One, well thought out system!, December 25, 2013
So far I am pleased with the PC Specs and it's performance, it leaves little wanting, most all bases covered.

Had to call Dell over a couple of issues, this PC comes with Pro Support and Dell's help has been great.

Vernal Tech was great with communication and shipping was fast thru FedEx, arriving in good condition, this is the seller to use!