5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for pharmacy certification exam review
Published on December 7, 1999 by prep4me@cs.com

2.0 out of 5 stars too many errors in math
Published on June 8, 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for pharmacy certification exam review, December 7, 1999
This text is an excellent review text. It is written for persons all levels of experience - quick study guides allow the student to skip what he or she is already familiar with, and detailed chapters are included for those who are not familiar with subjects. Questions or problems at the end of each chapter are answered in detail, to allow the student to see what the examiner is looking for and hopefully duplicate it for the exam, rather than simply designating the correct answer and leaving the student to guess why their answer was incorrect. This is really key, as a large part of the success on the exam is understanding what the question is asking and what the examiner wants to know.
Other salient features include a pre-test, to allow the student to pinpoint weaknesses and prioritize study, a sample certification exam, which is written to duplicate the exam in both style and content, and a very large and detailed section on pharmacy math, which includes every type of calculation which might appear on the exam, and as a practice math test. Since the lack of ability to solve math problems is a primary reason why students fail the exam, this is an excellent preparation aid. The text also teaches the student to think and understand, which is necessary for the exam, as it is not all regurgitation of material - you have to know how to USE and apply the material.
All relevant subjects are covered and discussed in detail. An excellent buy for the money, for students of pharmacy technology - and expecially for technicians trained in a retail pharmacy who may be lacking in hospital pharmacy.
This text could even be used as for a pharmacy technology quick study course, or self study course as it is quite complete.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Certification Review, December 5, 1999
This book has everything that you need to pass the certification exam. Prescriptions, filling, labelling, record keeping, OSHA, computers and law are all covered thoroughly. There are also chapters on pharmacology and ten chapters on math [the book covers almost every type of dosage calculation very thorougly]. Everything is explained exceptionally well, and is easy to understand. Review questions at the end of each chapter are asked, answered, and explained in detail, so that you understand how to answer questions and do the calculations for the exam. It explains "why", and helps you to understand and apply the information. Each chapter has a "quick study" guide for easy reviewing. There is a "pre-test" to help prioritize study and pinpoint weak points, and a mock certification exam, which follows the format of the exam, and includes questions very similar to the questions appearing on the exam. Helpful hints for taking the exam and answering questions are also included. This book is a must, especially for retail techs [a lot of hospital pharmacy is included], and particularly for understanding the math.

2.0 out of 5 stars too many errors in math, June 8, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Delmar's Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review (Delmar Learning's) (Paperback)
I bought this book (2004 edition) on the advice found in other reviews in this section. Like others, I have never worked in a pharmacy, have a tech-industry background that is going nowhere in this economy, and decided to pursue the medical industry which I've always been interested in. My first step was to go for the Pharm Tech Certification, so I bought this book to prepare for the exam. I do believe it helped with the general pharmacy practice and with the pharmacology and law sections, but I had to go out and purchase a second book on pharmacy math because of all the errors and inconsistencies in the math section of this book. There are errors in several of the examples, in many of the practice questions at the end of each chapter, and even in the sample tests, many of them quite blatantly wrong while others can only be determined wrong if you are strong in math, and it was too confusing. It appears nobody proofed the math section of this book before publishing. It cost me another $40 for a secondary book to review the math and learn the formulas. Since the sections on pharmacology and law are completely new to me, I was not able to determine if there were errors in those sections, but the math section DID leave me wondering if other things were wrong, too. I basically lost my confidence in this book. As a result, I decided to also purchase another study guide by another author as a backup. These errors cost me nearly $100 in further purchases!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy This Book, February 1, 2005
S. Gaines (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
One of my pharmacy technicians purchased this book to prepare for the exam. However, very quickly she realized that the book was full of errors.

The law section is written from the perspective of the author's state of practice (we assume as none of it has any bearing on Massachusetts law). Each state has its own set of rules and regulations pertaining to the practice of pharmacy.

Secondly, the calculation shown to determine if a prescriber's DEA number is valid is just wrong. It seems no one validated the information within.

She found more errors in calculations. Ultimately, this individual ended up having to spend additional funds to acquire another book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just finished exam, November 19, 2005
Anonymous (Philadelphia, PA USA area) - See all my reviews
My wife just took her exam this morning. She thinks she did good, but can't really predict whether it was enough to pass.

She took a class which provided two texts and drug cards:

1. Pharmacy Practice for Technicians, 3rd ed - Durgin

2. Complete Math Review for the Pharmacy Technician, 2nd ed - Hopkins

3. Pharmacy Drug Cards, SFI Medical Publishing

Based on reviews here, I purchased two more books:

4. Comprehensive Exam Review for the Pharmacy Technician - Moini

5. this one

If we had to do it all over, we would not even read 1-3 and go with 4 and 5. 5 covered the math more thoroughly than 2. My wife ran out of time on some more difficult math questions, but handled most with no problem. 4 helped by categorizing the drugs and reinforced her general knowledge.

These two helped her get through some 85% of the questions. There were some (eg. pharmacy law) that were not covered, so we might seek out even some more books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, April 15, 2007
Robert (Torrance, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I was so angry with this book that I actually wrote down the errors as I read it so that I could share it with you. I wont hammer you with all of them, just the ones I'm currently reading, from pg 111-123, a mere 12 pages, a fraction of the book's length.

pg 111 - 125mg/ml stated in question, changed to 125mg/2ml in the solution on pg 112.

pg 115 question #2 - 200mg/ml, changed to 250mg/ml in solution on pg 519.

pg 115 question #9 - 250mg/5ml, changed to 125mg/ml in solution on pg 520.

pg 118 "PCTB", should be "PTCB" (come on editor, it was in caps and it's the subject of your book)

pg 119 "adult dose of a drug is 2m/kg", should be 2mg/kg

pg 123 question #9 - the solution is suppose to use clark's rule: (wgt of child/150pd * adult dose), not young's rule: (age of child/(age + 12) * adult dose), instead they use a combo of both: 25lb/(25lb +150lb) * dose. Wrong!

At first I was very angry with the errors in this book, but I went through a 12 step program: anger, denial, blame, resentment, ... and finally acceptance. And in the end, I love this book! It's sheer genius! The author and editor piss you off so much you double check all their work, writing down all their errors, rewriting it online to share with you, and commiting it all to long term memory!

It's all I can do to refrain from giving this book 5 stars. I only gave it 3 for that rare reader who doesn't have the time to edit the book like I did.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just took the Pharm. Tech. Cert. Exam, March 22, 2004
By A Customer
(2nd edition). This book was good but had the potential to be an exceptional one-source study guide for the PTCExam if it wasn't for the mathematical errors, typos, etc. On one math question, the variables were different between the question and the answer/explanation (The question wanted you to fill an order for 0.5g of a drug from a supply of 200mg /5ml solution. The answer was based on 0.75mg of drug from a 250mg /5ml supply). This was frustrating at times, especially since I purchased this book primarily for the math review.
The book is laid out very well, and covers quite a lot of information. It is pretty up to date on state and fed. regulations such as the April 2003 HIPAA revisions.
It's too bad it wasn't proof read very well. Overall, this book is still a usefull study guide for the exam as long as you look out for the mathematical errors. With this book's help, I do believe (and hope!) I passed the exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Passed with just this book, December 28, 2003
By A Customer
I'm a computer professional wanting to make a career change to pharmacy. So I'm really a clean slate - and have little to no pharmacy biases whatsoever.
I bought this book and studied it - and was able to pass my CPhT exam the very first time.
My only training and experience has always been in IT; I've never filled a prescription (yet). Because I'm about to make a career change, I needed a way to prove to health care employers I was serious. So getting my CPhT was a great way to do that. If there's a test-case for how good this book is - then I'm it.
Important Note: the new second-edition will soon be released. The ISBN is 0766814327. Make sure to get the latest one before ordering.
Good luck on your exam!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, concise review!, September 3, 2000
I found this book to be a thorough review. I found the information well organized, understandable, and quite thorough. I felt that the topics were explained extremely well, and especially appreciated the emphasis on understanding and use of the material. Questions and explanations were exhaustive, and the extra material (the "pretests" and sample exam) was very helpful (as were the ten + chapters on math!!). I felt that it was an excellent review, and reflected the material on the exam well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Has potential... needs editing, April 5, 2005
I'm presently going through a certification program and my class uses this book. There are so many errors and typos. My teacher had to correct many of them for us just so we can make sense of the information. This book needs a new editor. Do not waste your money.

Delmar's Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review (Delmar Learning's)
Delmar's Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam Review (Delmar Learning's) by Patricia K. Anthony (Paperback - December 16, 2003)
Used & New from: $20.00