5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product, October 23, 2007
This review is from: Delmhorst J-LITE 6% to 30% Pin LED Wood Moisture Meter (Tools & Home Improvement)
I do woodworking projects building furniture for all my family members in my woodshop during the colder months of Indiana winter. I also harvest and kiln dry my own lumber.

I was intially going to buy a less expensive ($60) moisture tester---but reading other's comments convinced me that Delmhorst is a credible company that puts quality even in their lower cost units. I despise purchasing something that works good for a few months and then the electronics simply quit operating, even if it's still under warranty. So I made the decision to purchase the J-lite and have been completely satisfied with the operations of it since purchase.

The design is simple to operate, and seems very consistent in reading moisture content. It's a good little unit for the woodworker that is serious about producing quality woodcraft, but doesn't do it everyday.

Even if you purchase the material for your projects, this is an essential tool when buying the wood---not all "kiln dried" wood is the same. Good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, sturdy, accurate meter., April 23, 2009
Joseph C. Mooney (Christina Lake, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
If you have read the excellent book "Understanding Wood" by Bruce Hoadley you know why you need a moisture meter.

Wood expands or contracts depending on ambient moisture levels. Mr. Hoadley shows you how to calculate how much your wood will "move" in response to this, but to do so you must first know the initial moisture level in your wood. (The calculations are not complicated, by the way.)

If you are installing siding, laying down a wood floor, building furniture, determining how much the wall height of your new log cabin will change, or simply verifying your toilet gasket is not leaking, a wood meter can help. Even construction carpenters can make use of this
gadget - for example to determine how much a newly framed building will shrink, which can be useful when applying siding, especially if it is more than a single story. The uses are limited only by your knowledge or wood, and your applications.

I've owned the Delmhorst J-lite for about 2-1/2 years, and am very pleased with it. Although I use it less than I thought I would, most every time I do use it, it pays for itself all over again. For example, last year I installed $1,400 worth of pine board inside my house. Measuring the moisture of the existing interior wood, then comparing
it to the moisture of the pine, it was easy to see that the pine would contract after installation (and using Hoadley's formula, to compute the magnitude of the changes - in this case the wood was more moist than the existing wood in my house, so I knew that it was going to shrink by about 1/16, so I took care to jamb the tongue and groove planks tightly together. Had the situation been the reverse, I would have left a slight gap between the planks.)

Installing flooring, a moisture meter allows you know exactly when your wood planks have acclimated to the moisture in your home. There are many rules of thumb for this ranging from a few weeks to months, but this is unnecessary (and sometimes quite absurd) if your planks arrive at the correct moisture level to begin with.

Back to the Delmhorst. What I like about it is:
o it is sturdy, and well built
o the readouts are reasonably simple and easy to understand.
o the battery lasts a very long time.
o comes with a spare set of pins, which I have not yet needed to use.
o fits the hand well, comfortable.
o comes in a nice blow molded plastic case
o provides a chart to correct for particular species and temperature, but this is typically not necessary unless you are a stickler for extreme accuracy.
o can test more than just wood by giving a relative reading on plywood, OSB, MDF etc (that is to say the percentage reading may not be correct, but if you compare the OSB in your bathroom floor to another OSB sample it will show you which is wetter/dryer, which can be quite useful).

The only negative that I can think of is that it requires a 9 volt battery. It could be a little more convenient if it took AA batteries.

In conclusion, this is a well made meter, seems to give accurate and consistent results. It's usefulness depends on your willingness to learn about wood and it's reaction to moisture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mini Ligno S/D vs. Delmhorst J-Lite, January 12, 2012
I have been using a friend's Delmhorst J-LITE for a while now, and basically love it. The case is kind of big to lug around, and it is frustrating that the percentage shows up for less than a second, because the only way I know to document a reading is to photograph the meter in action. It takes perfect timing and multiple tries to get a photo of the reading on the J-Lite.
I ordered the Lignomat Moisture Meter Mini-Ligno S/D because of the improved portability (it fits easily in a jacket pocket and the cap covers the probes and the switch), its ability to read the moisture in drywall/gypsum, and the slightly lower price.
The Mini-Ligno feels lighter and more cheaply made, but I will wait and see if there are any durability issues. I like that the percentage stays displayed for as long as you leave the meter in the wood, for easy photographing or demonstration in a meeting.
They both got the same readings in multiple tests.
The winner? Hard to say, but the Mini-Ligno is easier to carry, so I will use it more than I used the J-Lite.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent moisture meter, November 2, 2011
Took a gamble on a mid/low priced meter to test cedar siding before staining. This one does the job nicely, revealed that one area was especially moist and needed extra time to dry out before new stain could be properly applied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delmhorst moisture meter review, April 10, 2009
After borrowing a couple of moisture meters I realized I needed my own. After talking with my son and searching on-line I decided on this one. It works as advertised and the battery has held up well. The sensing points are sturdy and the reading is easy to see and appears to be accurate. I would recommend this product and - oh yes - the price was fair.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delmhorst Wood Moisture Meter, March 10, 2007
It took me a long time to decide wether to buy a wood moisture meter with a digital read out or an analog one. This Delmhorst LED readout moisture meter is an excellent alternative for the two other types. It works fast and has a clear display. It has an attractive price level for both the home woodworker or the professional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and works great., November 28, 2011
The wood moisture meter is easy to use. It's easy to read and it comes in a great storage case. Glad I bought it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wood moisture meter, May 9, 2010
I am a painting contractor that needed help determining if wood siding was dry enough to hold paint. This product has helped me nonitor moisture content and predetermine opportunity for a successful paint job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made, March 14, 2013
A really robust meter compared to others on the market. My unit arrived defective so I had to return it.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect stuff to me, February 13, 2013
I am installer of hardwood flooring. and always need to keep a moisture meter, this product is not expensive and perfect to use for me.

thanks seller