Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Delphi Chronicle, Bundle Book 2 & 3 - The Tortoise and the Hare, and Phoenix Rising
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on October 26, 2012
I have ready 6 of his books and they are all excellent. How this author isn't signed to a big time publishing company is unbelievable. I been enjoying his books so much I have not had time to read the other authors I usually read. His books has stopped me from reading the others Brad Thor, Vince Flynn, to name a few. That's the highest compliment and high praise I can give. Reading his books is a guarantee 5 stars. You can't go wrong with any of his titles.
on August 26, 2012
Outrageous! Started reading this book and couldn't put it down. Russell Blake is one terrific writer and story teller. Bravo! I resonate with the story line in this trilogy. Enough of the truth intermingled with the possible, makes the plot very real. Having returned from working in the Middle East a few years ago, I can tell you that as far as the USA is concerned, the truth is more like fiction, and fiction is more like the truth. It's become a strange, bizarre world out there with control in the hands of a very small number of people. Our citizens must be the most naive bunch of jack rabbits on the globe. It seems to me they have lost any sense of critical thinking. And they wonder why they have become little more than corporate pawns listening to the likes of Limbaugh and Fox News. Could this story happen here? Absolutely! I remember an expose on the relationship of the CIA and drugs a few decades ago. Wow! That story was squashed after the first episode. Welcome to the "Brave, New World" of America!
on October 21, 2012
This book, in particular, chapter 25, gives an amazing look into the story behind the story of the so-called "war on drugs". Although it is written as fiction, there are parts that really make you sit back and think. The Delphi Chronicle is one of the best books I've ever read. It's also the third book by Russell Blake I've read, and I intend to read more. (no matter how damn fast he writes)
Highly suggested also: Silver Justice, Jet, Foreign Exchange.
on September 25, 2012
The Delphi Chronicle Trilogy - loved it! What is the saying? "Write what you know?" I kind of get the feeling that Mr. Blake is writing what he knows and the only way he'd know this is firsthand knowledge. I too get the impression that he is writing about his experiences and how this country has evolved over the last 50+ years. From Wall Street, the banking crises to home mortgages. From destabilizing nations so others can remain in power, to keeping a constant leveled price of narcotics and weapons consumed in our nation, while some become incredibly rich and others (us taxpayers) are left holding the bag. An incredibly frightening scenario was delivered to the reader in detail! When our great nation gets to the point in which direction Delphi Chronicle is taking us, I want to be dead. It won't be the United States of America that I knew as a youth.

I have been teased that when Mr. Russell writes, I just like. I guess that has been my experience. Loved Mike Derrigan and his sexy friend. All characters were incredibly believable from the computer nerd to the "voice" without a name.

Please don't tell me this is the world that we are going to know. It is suppose to be a fictional novel, but is it really? Keep writing Mr. Blake.
on October 17, 2012
I very much enjoyed all three of these books. I went back and forth on giving it 4 or 5 stars but settled on 4 because of a loose thread that drove me crazy in these books.

This story contains a realistic conspiracy theory and spot on criticism of the complacency of the American people. This book was especially heartbreaking for me as I read it during the run up to the 2012 elections. Everything in the book is taking place in these elections: the political machine dividing the country so that we won't question the fundamental inequities in wealth and power, and the lies that are repeated so often that, to some people, they become the truth. Still, this review isn't meant as a political diatribe so I will get back to the book.

Fast paced, action filled, and believable ending. Some other reviewers have criticized the author for his ending. However, a pat, happy ending would have been a cheat. An author's job is to make you think and these books make you think. You may not like what they make you think but it's not his job to pander to reader's desire to keep their head in the sand.

Oh yea, the reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because I liked the police characters so much and then they just dropped off the radar (well, to be fair, one of them had no choice). I would have liked to see some sort of resolution of that part of the story line. Although, I read the author's comment that there will be a sequel and, hopefully, this will be addressed in the sequel.
44 comments|5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2012
From the first to the 3rd book in this trilogy the story is very plausible. The first book lays out the entire scene and one is carried forward rapidly as events unfold extremely quickly. The 2nd and 3rd books in the trilogy are quite fast paced too and although one could say that the author has a highly fertile imagination, one does wonder if there is any credence to his story and I suspect that this is so.
Murder, intrigue, suspense, the thrill of the chase to escape government agents, moving from country to country to try and evade them keeps one rooted to the spot and loathe to put down the book.
Mr Bakes style of writing is excellent and I will be reading many more of his books over the coming months as these were my first foray into his novels.
I recommend this trilogy to all people who like thrillers and give it a 5* rating.
on March 19, 2012
"The Delphi Chronicle" (Books 1-3) by Russell Blake is a great thriller that neatly balances action, suspense and intrigue with interesting characters that the reader quickly becomes invested in. Like Ludlum? You'll love Blake.

I must admit, I've never been much of a "black helicopters" conspiracy fan; having served 20+ years in the U.S. military I always took a dim view of ideas centered around our government being able to successfully run a large-scale extra-legal operation -- much less keep it secret for decades!

Having said that, I greatly enjoyed the premise of "The Delphi Chronicle," which involves a manuscript detailing what I came to call the Mother Of All Conspiracies. This manuscript outlines how governments, terrorist groups, Big Business and organized crime have worked together over many years to enrich and empower a select few. Unlike many stories built around conspiracies, "The Delphi Chronicle" doesn't labor over the hows and whys, but rather addresses the results of such a massive operation -- and the widespread damage that revealing it could bring.

After a brief and interesting overview of the bloody results of this grand conspiracy, the main narrative kicks off when a New York literary agent receives the manuscript anonymously. Former SEAL and security consultant Michael Derrigan gets drawn in when the agent's electronic copy of the manuscript mysteriously disappears. No spoilers, but trust me there are twists and turns aplenty. The shadowy forces behind the conspiracy will stop at nothing to keep it from the public eye and the bodycount rises as Derrigan goes underground while trying to understand what and who he's dealing with. But this is no empty-calorie actioner. In fact, the evolution of Derrigan throughout the three books is one of the things I enjoyed most; the man you meet in Book 1 might not recognize the one at the end of Book 3.

Blake's clear prose rings with authority whether describing an action sequence or a Central American airport. So much so that I almost -- almost -- heard the sound of black helicopters while reading "The Delphi Chronicle." Almost. I wholeheartedly recommend this trilogy, and look forward to diving into more of Blake's novels.
on September 6, 2012
I've become a huge Russell Blake fan, having now read 5 of his books. He's a smart marketer, giving away the first book in a series and having you pay for the rest. All of his stories are entertaining, with well developed characters, and plots that pull you right in from the start.
on November 17, 2012
After reading book one of the trilogy (Manuscript) I was hooked! The plot was a bit OTT but still believable and the writing style was fluid and engrossing. So I dutifully ran out and bought books 2 and 3.....what a let-down! The style completely shifted into a cross between a travelogue (and a boring one at that) and a platform for the author to dish out the "mother of all conspiracy theories" loosely strung together with some very flaky pseudo-political arguments. As if that wasn't enough, after waffling on for dozens of pages explaining how omnipotent and invincible the "villains" were, how clandestine their methods of operation and how widespread their reach was - on the last (except for a sugary "happy end" epilogue) page of the novel the author suddenly neatly wraps up the solution to the whole problem with one well placed bullet, without explaining how the protagonist got there, what exactly he hopes to accomplish by picking off one player, how a minor spook in out-of-the-way Cuba manages to pinpoint in five minutes the head of an organization that has escaped detection for (according the the author himself) "generations", etc.....!
All in all, the strong feeling one gets is that the author had to run off to catch a flight or something and finished off the novel in a few quick minutes!
Bottom line - not worth the few dollars it costs - let alone the time taken to read it!
on November 1, 2012
Shadow government/conspiracy genre. I read some of these when they pop up on Kindle or in the used book store; 90% of them are illogical and not worth the time expended reading them. I rate them on the plausible scale: Could this be? Are the facts presented accurate or at least plausibly accurate? Without giving any details, this is one of the better ones: everything is plausible, could be, might have been. The facts are all there, starting with the death squads in South America in the not too distant past to current affairs in the economic world. I only review about 1 in every 50 books I read: Only the very good and the very bad. This is one of the very good category. Make sure you download the bundle since it's actually three books and you need to read them in order.