5.0 out of 5 stars The Definitive O. Henry collection!
As usual, Delphi Classics treats us with a complete edition with wonderful illustrations, indexes and bonus texts. Their customer service is also very fast and customer-friendly. Don't hesitate, their editions of classic literature are the best ones available for the kindle!
Published on October 12, 2011 by Fred L

3.0 out of 5 stars Why no index?
As with the Selected Works of O Henry, it is too hard to flick through the works and find what one is looking for. Sadly, I have returned to the book that has ben in my personal library for years in order to enjoy this master craftsman's work. I say "sadly" because I like reading on my Kindle because of the font size which makes reading that much easier.
Published on November 9, 2012 by Jimbo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Definitive O. Henry collection!, October 12, 2011
This review is from: Delphi Complete Works of O. Henry (Illustrated) (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars More O Henry than you might realize, April 3, 2012
This book is loaded, like the title says, with everything O Henry. Note that the table of contents lists each published work from O Henry, so for Kindle users that want to find a specific story, you will have to either click through publications or find the option to list he stories in chronological or alphabetical order. Not a big deal but may cause confusion if you do not recognize that the table of contents are his publications rather than his stories. Regardless, if you like O Henry, this is the compendium for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A step back in time, September 6, 2012
Being an avid reader for 59 of my 63 years, I was overjoyed when I came across this title. I remember my original reading, having to lug around a very heavy hardbound library book. I had to renew it at least twice and being a library book I could not annotate or mark passages in any fashion.

I rather doubt I could read that particular volume given the small print and my current visual acuity. Having this edition allows me to make any necessary adjustments for both ease of reading and my personal reading pleasure.

I am able to bookmark my place, highlight a passage and access Wikipedia and a dictionary on the fly.

The single best feature is the portability of this "E"dition. I have an entire library in literally the palm of my hand.

Kudos to Amazon both for their Kindle for device applications and for having this edition in their offerings.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to O. Henry, December 24, 2012
As a short story writing I have been aware of O. Henry since high school but just have gotten around to reading this "complete works volume. It was slow at first and didn't "pull me in" but I stayed with it and am really enjoying it. I didn't know his history before reading this and read up on his life and it helped to explain why he was writing a series of stories from a central American location. Good book and I recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why no index?, November 9, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars A literary treasure., January 19, 2013
Although O. Henry was required reading in school I still find myself enjoying his own particular style. The stories are a quick read and still relative---you know, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars gifted, January 12, 2013
i am not the best of well rounded readers, but i have read enough to know that this guy runs with Melville when it comes to using the English language. I cannot read this guy without a dictionary near by. Ransom of Red Chief is by far the best short story. I cannot wait to read it to my grandsons when they are old enough to enjoy this masterpiece.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good collection, December 10, 2012
If you like OHenry then this is an exhaustive collection. I have enjoyed his workds for many years. If you donpt know his work, then you will enjoy his classic stories like "The Ransom of Red Chief" and "The Gift of the Magi."

4.0 out of 5 stars The short story as autobiography, November 18, 2013
O Henry was at one time considered to be the leading American expert in the short story field. What interested me most was the surprisingly short span of his career as an author, 1902-1910. Most of his stories are set in NYC, with some others set in a mythical Banana Republic, and yet others in frontier Texas, all of which he lived in at one time or another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of great stories from a master storyteller, August 30, 2013
With the kindle cost so low, one shouldn't pass up this great collection. Heck the "Cabbages and Kings" stories alone are worth the price. And Where else does one get the true story of the Cisco Kid? The biography is a bit tedious to read (use Wikapedia), but this collection gives one hours of great reading.

Peace and Be Well