4.0 out of 5 stars Great Unit
This would by my forth XM unit I've used since signing up in 2003. I've used the SkyFi, the SkyFi2, the RoadyXT (My brother actually) and now, the SkyFi3. Choosing this unit itself was a no-brainer when shopping around for portable units.

Published on March 19, 2007 by Andrew E. Stephenson

I'm about to send back my second SkiFi to Delphi for a replacement. Here are some things that have gone wrong with the units I've owned:

1. Bad reception and repeated "Check Antennae" messages, even when standing in the middle of a field under a clear sky.
Published on December 14, 2007 by John F. Jamele

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Unit, March 19, 2007
This review is from: Delphi SkyFi3 XM Satellite Radio with Car Kit (Electronics)

The SkyFi3 takes all the functionality of my beloved SkyFi2 (pause/rewind features more than anything) and crosses it with the versatility of the Helix/Inno. Unlike the Helix and the Inno though, this unit has a bias towards car use, yet still gives you the option to be completely mobile (With the purchase of the antenna/headphone set). The Helix/Inno units, which are primarily for on-the-go usage, have a much smaller, yet more colorful screen than the SkyFi3, and also include a built in antenna for on-the-go Live XM feed without any extra accessories.

The SkyFi3 on the other hand, has a much bigger screen, though monochrome, that make viewing from afar much easier. Also, as stated above, unlike the Helix/Inno, this unit has the ability to pause and rewind live feed. It is the first of it's kind to accept MicroSD memory cards for your own music to be added to your playlists, giving you nearly unlimited storage. Be warned though, Recording Live XM feed is limited to the built in 256MB (~10 Hours). The only potential downfall this unit has over the Helix/Inno would be it's large size in comparison. Also, having such a large screen could potentially get scratched much easier. The SkyFi3 is significantly cheaper than the Inno/Helix and when bought through certain retailers, you are given a voucher to get the $50 Standard Wearable Kit for free.

As for the overall sound quality, as long as you are using the SureConnect or a direct wired connection to your car radio, quality is equal to any other XM unit (Of course, using a non-modulated method will be the absolute best). But if you attempt to use just straight up Wireless FM Transmitter, forget it. Total trash. I am going to assume the FCC forced Delphi to use a much lower power transmitter. I live in the Buffalo, NY area and I've gone through the entire FM band and couldn't find a single channel that even made it usable. The SureConnect kit that comes with the SkyFi3 is just a clip that connects to your AM/FM antenna on the outside of your car, then connects to a wire that plugs into your car kit. Make sure you use this unless you have another method of hard wiring the unit to your radio (either by FM Modulation of an Aux input port)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice unit, May 4, 2007
Lugosi (Northern Virginia) - See all my reviews
The other reviews on this page pretty well describe this unit. Just a few other points I would add:

The unit will hold up to ten hours of XM recordings in its "on-board" memory. With the appropriate micro SD card you can add another 2 gig of MP3 files from your computer. The on-board recordings can be integrated into playlists with the downloaded material.

Unlike the Inno, you can leave this unit in the car dock and it will still come on and record any channels you tell it to (provided the antenna is in a position to receive the signal; i.e., NOT in the garage). Timer recordings do have to be set up while the unit is hooked up to your PC.

If you unit does lock up on you, it CAN be reset by simultaneously pressing the "mode" button and holding the volume "up" button.

The auxillary input jack on the unit is great for hooking up CD players, iPods, etc. The nice thing about it is that you can leave the peripheral item constantly plugged in; the jack doesn't automatically override the radio or My Music functions. You use the "mode" button to go to auxillary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Home/Car/Portable solution, May 7, 2007
enice (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
I have owned this unit for about 6 weeks and have found it solid on all levels. I use it at home (using the home docking kit), in the car, and while walking around to listen to live XM. The unit I purchased came with a free headset, but the $50 upgrade to get an extended battery (which amounts to a rubber jacket with a battery that plugs into the bottom of the skyfi unit) is well worth it if you're planning on using it for more than 90 minutes when moving about. I've been able to get about 7 hours of live XM using the extended battery, which is as advertised.

Pros for the unit include: 1) Easily readable, rotatable screen - helpful for car applications 2) artist and song tuneselect (which allows you to mark songs/artists that you would like to be notified when they are on another channel). 3) recording ability and recording scheduler 4) Easy file system management 5)Mini SD slot if XM isn't enough!

The only cons I can list are the lack of an integrated antennae and the fact that the headphones used as a antennae are a little bit weak on the volume level (if you're on a loud subway, it's kind of hard to hear). Also, don't expect reception where there isn't line of sight or strong terrestrial repeater (more than 2 bars) either, but I suppose that is expected.

It should be noted that this unit only has an FM Transmitter when using the car kit (and it's fairly weak at that). If you are looking for an FM Transmitter to go with this unit, a MUST is the Whole House FM Transmitter Gold Edition (Whole House FM Transmitter -Gold Edition: Wireless Stereo Audio Adapter- Covers Entire Home Guaranteed. It will cover all of your FM Modulation needs, no matter where.

Overall, I would highly recommend this product to anybody who wants a "every unit" receiver that can fulfill home, car, and walkbout duties.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this, Delphi is helpful but their products are JUNK., December 14, 2007

2. Screen will not light up when power button is pushed- guy on the phone gives "helpful suggestion" to push down volume and power buttons at the same time.
4. Radio comes on, but screen does not. After several attempts, this finally corrects itself.
5. Recorded songs skip and freeze. Seriously.
6. Screen freezes and will NOT unfreeze. As another poster has noted, you have to drain the battery to get it unstuck. Speaking of which...
7. Don't even bother to get this unless you get the extended battery or only intend to use it in the car. The standard battery lasts 30 minutes on Live XM.
8. Antennae Jack died on first unit after less than three months. Delphi will replace, but I lost a dozen songs I had recorded. Plus the hassle of returning stuff.
9. Again, I am about to send back my SECOND unit in less than four months (my first replacement started showing bugs before the first WEEK was up.)

An on-off switch would be really, really helpful, as the "Mode" button seems very tempermental.

UPDATE: Received my THIRD SkiFi3 (second replacement) today- it was preloaded with more than 200 songs (which means it wasnt new, it was used- and it wasn't in it's original packaging btw), froze right away, and the volume didn't work. Delphi is sending me a new unit with a prepaid mailer to send back the old one in. Meanwhile, I estimate that I have paid for approximately one month of XM I didn't get because my unit was broken or in transit to or from Delphi.

Save yourself a headache: Don't buy this unit. I couldn't get a star to delete on my rating; I would give it one or no stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice display and much improved over previous models, December 30, 2006
I bought the SkyFi2 abou 9 months ago. I went to Fry's and was immediately drawm to the larger display. I wound up buying from Amazon because it was $50 less. The unit is awesome. I have a motorhome that I wanted to have it to use in there and its critical that I do not play with dials, etc.. while I am driving. This unit makes it easier to see with the larger display and the construction feels better as well.

So far, the SKyfi3 seems to be the best for XM units that offer the versatility of home and car as well as portability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my SkiFi 3, August 2, 2007
The unit is great. I have a 2GB Micro for when I work out, it is amazing little unit. It has frozen on me a couple of times but I simply did the "Mode + Volume Up" hold for 3 seconds, then hit the power button and it came back on.

Other than that, no complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Alternative to Restrictive IPods, April 25, 2007
I love this thing. Great little unit, takes up a little more room than the old Roady XT I had, but you can mount it vertically or horizontally and convert the screen to suit. Easily readable in daylight and very nice at nite, with electric blue lighting in the buttons, similar to cell phones. Unplugs from the base very easily and then you can use it as a portable MP3 player with any headphones or as an XM receiver too, with their headset and antenna unit. I had a Roady with the cassette adapter, because I have a GMC truck, the cassette means of connecting to XM, is very good. I tucked all the wires up into the socket outlet area and installed it on my dash with the provided mount, I only had to unplug the Roady, insert the newer base unit to the old mount and plug everything else in just as the Roady...bang ...DONE! Very sweet. I also liked that you can get the 2GB mini SD card, download about 400 songs with Windows MEdia Player or Real Player, or anything you have practically...NO proprietary ITunes crap. It downloaded all 400 MP3's from the PC in a matter of minutes, and the same little SD card fits right in my phone, so I can take music from vehicle to phone in a snap and listen to MP3's and XM in the truck. I like it!
Well worth this price, as it started out around 299. Great Unit, great price....good music and easy set up.
UPDATE: It's funny how some people have all these bugs, I have never done anything to mine, nor had any software updates..it still works great! In their defense though, I have heard that the cassette adapter is the best for pulling in strong signals..over other methods, so if they dont have that method of install, could be an issue. More vehicles now , no longer have cassettes of course.
UPDATE 2: One year now.....still no major issues, HAS NEVER locked up on me..in vehicle , out of vehicle, hooked up to home dock or otherwise. NO PROBLEMS
UPDATE 3: I purchased the Altec-Lansing speaker dock and now take this into work with me. I have all my tunes on my desk now. Great XM stations, plus the micro SD memory card with my own MP3's on it. Works great!

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, WORST product I've ever owned, 10 hours w/ tech support & still no resolution, November 14, 2007
Nicole (Truckee, CA) - See all my reviews
Where do I begin? I was comforted to read that other folks have had the "freezing" issue. This happens to me, on average, every 2 weeks. Beyond that, my unit does record. I have spent much time w/ tech support trying to remedy this with no luck. The unit also "defaults" back to a horizontal display each time I turn the car engine over & I have to manually set it back to vertical AND it "loses" the FM frequency I've chosen & I need to re-select it each & every time. Delphi finally threw their hands up & said to send it in & they'd ship a new one - which they did. I received it yesterday & was so excited to finally have a working unit but, alas, I now only get about 50% of the total XM stations (how exciting, a NEW problem) & the record function still doesn't work. They want me to ship it back again & try another unit but in the 10 months I've owned the unit it's NEVER worked 100% properly, it's been replaced 3 times yet each time there are some new & some familiar problems. I am exhausted, frustrated & so disenchanted with the Skyfi I want my money back to maybe give Sirius a whirl. The series of issues I've had with this are staggering & Delphi, while willing to replace the unit over & over, seems somewhat unconcerned & not a single customer service rep has gone the extra mile to say that these constant problems & hours on the phone w/ tech support are not right & ASSURE we finally get my unit up & running properly. Horrible, terrible, awful experience- my poor husband is so sorry he gave me this gift for Christmas. I have a faulty unit which has made me rip my hair out on numerous occassions & he feels terrible when he tried to do something thoughtful-- lovely!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice little unit...when it's working, April 18, 2008
I've had a fairly decent experience with my SkyFi3. First, don't even bother with the FM modulation...get it properly installed or do it yourself. I had a local installer mount the skyfi and run all the cables, and wire it into the Aux jack on my radio, and the results are quite nice. The radio does cut out once in awhile while driving but it's fairly rare. The features on this unit are quite nice, with built-in memory and the ability to upgrade with a microSD card, ability to record programs (not a whole lot of use in the car, but useful if you have a home kit like I do). It's also really easy to record a song on the radio to save in memory, and the cradle has presets to access your favorite stations. I did find the navigation and menus somewhat confusing and often was lost trying to get to the right screen or find the right function. But I've certainly seen worse in this area. If you tend to easily get confused by electronics though, there probably are more user-friendly units than this one.

The biggest problem with this radio, and the reason I have to drop it to 3 stars is the locking issue. As others have mentioned, it does sometimes freeze up and there does not seem to be any way to reboot it, you just have to unplug it until the battery dies out (which can take awhile!) Why they don't have a simple reset button like most small electonics do is beyond me, it would make the problems with freezing far less frustrating. Suffice to say, if you get this radio, make sure you always bring some CDs along on a long trip so you aren't stuck with nothing to listen to if it freezes up (as it always seemed to do for me when I was on long drives.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, March 8, 2007
The SkyFi3 is an awesome satellite radio. It is my first satellite radio, however I researched a lot before purchasing this one, and I'm glad that I did. It has numerous features and is very user friendly. I would recommend this product to anyone!

Delphi SkyFi3 XM Satellite Radio with Car Kit