4.0 out of 5 stars Great product!
I've had my MyFi for a week now and I must say that it has exceeded my expectations. I do live in an urban area where reception is great (DC) but I find that I rarely use the live programming when on the run and just rely on my recorded content.

First what's great about the MyFi:

1) I'm new to satellite radio and was very impressed with the variety...
Published on November 30, 2004 by S. Northrop

3.0 out of 5 stars Except for never getting reception, it's fine.
Yesterday, the mailman delivered my long-awaited MyFi. I quickly got it up and running. I then took it to the gym for its first big test. Overall, I like this product. It fits in the hand nicely, the layout is very simple to use, and it certainly comes with a ton of extras. The sound quality is as good as any other satellite radio I've seen.

My problem though...
Published on December 8, 2004 by Stephen Jenkins

‹ Previous | 15 6 729 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A New-York based review, March 20, 2006
This review is from: Delphi MyFi XM2GO Portable XM Satellite Radio Receiver with Home / Car Kits (Electronics)
Definitely buy this product, but buy it from a retailer other than Amazon (such as Best Buy or Circuit City). If you have read several reviews, you may have noticed that this item is not exchangeable/returnable from Amazon. They now offer an extra service plan, but it isn't the same thing.

I bought XM Radio because--believe it or not--New York has no widely available adult alternative station. Reception in Brooklyn for the college stations stinks, and anyway college radio is too uneven a format to really listen to a lot.

Also, like many young Americans I've lived in many places and come to enjoy a lot of different programming. Some people love TV, some love company, I and a lot of others love the radio. I like NPR, classical, sports talk, BBC talk, radio plays and readings, and music, music, music! I tried three preview subscriptions to both Sirius and XM and chose XM for its World Cup coverage, its early music programming, and its "Lifestyle" channels.

XM vs. SIRIUS: Yes, Sirius has Howard, but I don't like mean humor. Both offer similar things. There are several rock channels, such as early classic rock, late classic, alternative rock, college, eclectic; several pop channels, with XM having a 40s channel through 90s, Sirius '50s through 90s but with a bigband/swing channel elsewhere; classical, Christian, techno, rap channels (at least three of each); sports talk; news talk; shock-jock talk (Sirius has Howard, XM has Opie and Anthony--I know, I know, who??). Sirius has the NFL games, XM has baseball. XM also has the World Cup. XM is a big corporation, and the stations have playlists and you hear similar songs every day. I mean, the newest songs get played daily, the classic bands have their catalog rotated through. You don't hear the SAME songs daily, except for the new hits. XM also has minicommercials for itself, 8-10 seconds long, and the DJs read back the songs they've played sometimes. Sirius has a looser feel, more antiestablishment. However, XM has the shows I want: World Cup, early music, classical music appreciation shows, and the three lifestyle channels of eclectic music, plus XMU and two coffeehouse channels (my favorite kind). Sirius has only two. Also, Sirius has no portable radio where you can hear live broadcasting. Basically, go by whatever kind of music you want to get out of it.

THE RADIO: I bought this from Amazon and it arrived on Friday afternoon. On Saturday afternoon, it crashed. The flagship review here ("Great product!") claims this is solid-state and therefore can't crash; it is not and it can. Live reception was fine, My XM kept crashing and locking up the whole thing. I purges all settings and "Restored Factory Settings" but nothing.

Amazon wouldn't take it back, and the customer service rep who emailed me back didn't seem to understand my question as to why they wouldn't. I called Delphi, was on hold for 45 minutes (on speakerphone while I made dinner). The next morning I called at 8 am and got through in 3 minutes. Very helpful, I was given the address to return it.

I get a package a few days later, an obviously used radio with stains on it. I called XM and they even told me who used to own it! I emailed Specmo, the company that apparently Delphi sends its fixit things to, and complained. Without my asking, they get Delphi to produce a truly new radio and send it to me. I called XM and they confirmed it was new.

The problem is that XM sells programming, Delphi sells the radio, Amazon sells the radio for Delphi, another company does the warranty...it's guaranteed to cause trouble. Therefore, eliminate the need to send packages and ust buy it from a store.

RECEPTION: Is amazing! You literally can stuff this into your pocket or coat and walk the streets and listen. New york has ground repeaters, no way it's the satellite. In buses if you sit near the window and hold it in your lap, it receives. It receives inside some buildings, like the NYPL and certain storefronts. But mostly it will cut out. On exception is if you sit near the front of any restaurant, cafe, pub: it will always work if it's laying on a newspaper (to keep it clean form the tabletop). It receives in East New York and Upper East Side.

OTHER: My radio (the third I've tried) gets 8 hours of content stored. The others stored 6-7. I record a channel for five hours at night, then wake up and check if it got any songs I like. Otherwise I record a channel that plays odd music, like XMU, and listen to it in Starbucks. At home on evenings I listen to it as I write or read, and I listen to it on the way to work and returning.

This is the best possible recreational electronic, enhancing my lifestyle immeasurably. Some people like cable TV and al that goes wiht it; I like listening to the radio.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor reception, May 4, 2005
Michael Courtemanche "Mike" (Methuen, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I returned mine after one day of use. If you intend to use the MyFi as a portable satellite radio receiver (as opposed to listening to recorded content) while you walk/run around your neighborhood, you can expect very poor reception (i.e., more than 50% drop-outs). It was very frustrating and the external antenna had no perceivable effect.

I live in a suburb of a major city (Boston), by the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement for my Roady, December 22, 2004
I must admit, I'm completely addicted to XM radio. I've carried my Roady all over the place, just so I don't have to listen to regular radio anymore. But there were limitations to it, even with all the home & car accessories. The MyFi unit remedies most of those problems. The battery, FM modulator, and stored music allow me to easily use it in vehicles without setting up the antenna and power supply. Whenever I checked out a company car, my hands were always full of cords. Now I just pop the unit in the cupholder & tune the radio.

The reception of this unit as well as the Roady is excellent in rural areas, unlike what some other reviewers have stated. Actually, the farther out in the country, the better, since you don't have buildings blocking the signal. The only problem I've encountered as I drive in rural areas is interference from annoying FM stations. Reception with the MyFi is slightly better than the Roady. Both are much better than Sirius, by the way.

The display on the MyFi is nicer than the Roady series, but the smaller font is a bit more difficult to read at a glance. Use of the backlight alleviates this somewhat.

Transferring your subscription from one device to a new one is very easy - just call the nice folks at XM & it's done in a few minutes.

A great product - I would actually rate it 4.5 stars, since there are a few points which could be improved, such as larger storage & more TiVo-like recording control. But I'm quite happy with this purchase & would recommend it to anyone with some extra cash. Now I love my XM even more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great radio - must buy, December 29, 2005
Live in central new jersey [with satellite radio, it appears to be location, location and location :-)]. The radio is really great in my apartment [I hooked it up to my audio system with Bose speakers and it works great - of course much better wired [great] than with FM modulator [good]]. In the car, I am using the FM modulator and it is good. I need to try with cassete adaptor but that was not working with my first try today. Need to check the manual. As others have mentioned, it is not really good for live reception i.e when used like walkman while walking, jogging.

The five hour recording is the greatest feature and makes all this worth every penny and more.

OK, the bad news, I am getting absolutely no reception at my office [zilch, nada, zip, etc]. Tried with various antennas and result is same. And my office is just three miles away from my apartment !! But anyway, it is not great idea to have antenna, etc all setup at work - just think what your boss will think. I plan to listen to recorded music when possible during work as that helps me to focus more.

I checked out both XM and Sirius with their online trials. At this point, XM appears to have better deals as radio prices are very good. Actually, I bought two MyFi radio sets as the price is so low and I can use the extra home and car accessories [the ones I bought were sold directly by Amazon along with 50$ mail in rebate]. For instance, you will need to use power dock at office and home or the battery will run out. Don't wish to get into XM and Sirius religious war as I think it all depends on your listening choices and your coordinates. Classic rock on XM really rocks and I listen to news channels [which is nearly same on both]. Sirius has S50 but that is too costly and the home deck is another extra $$ [wheras myfi includes everything one can think of].

Anyway, enough with my rambling - get yourself a myfi . The most important issue is reception where you live and where you want to listen. One issue [maybe due to my ignorance] is I don't know how one can open the plastic container [which cotains all this equipment] without cutting it - hence I don't know how one can return it back if one finds that they are getting no reception at their house. Bummer.

Will add more after I try it for few days ..

4.0 out of 5 stars Satellite Radio is Awesome But Good Luck Getting Signal, September 13, 2005
I love the whole idea of Satellite radio. Pure, blissful music in whatever genre turns you on without commercials. Gotta love it!

However, if you leave in a rural area or an area that doesn't have a good southern exposure, you will have a hard time getting the signal. In my house, I am only able to use this unit in one room and in only ONE SPOT in that room! If I move the unit only a foot away, it will not work. Fortunately, that room is my den and there is a stereo located in that spot that I can hook it up to, so it works great in that one spot. I cannot move this unit to any other room.*(see new info below). I have tried it outdoors and cannot get a signal in my yard or street (I live in the suburbs of a big city in the Northeast). I haven't even tried it in my car except to play recorded content (that worked fine). However, this unit works great in the afore-mentioned city and wonderful in my office building. I can get a signal in the city even without attaching any antenna to the unit.

As for the content, it is pretty awesome. Every type of music is offered and the playlists are changed frequently. You will hear old favorites you hadn't heard in years. It is much, much better than conventional radio, as it should be, since you ARE paying dearly for it. Sometimes the channel promos are annoying. Each channel will have a 30-40 blurb between every few songs announcing what channel you are on, etc., which some people might find annoying. There is SO MUCH content, you can't possible listen to it all. I have been mainlining the decades channels and dance channels. I haven't really listened to any of the talk, comedy, weather and traffic channels.

As for features, I find the buttons to be a little sticky and hard to press at times. I have had situations where the unit "froze" and I had to take the battery out to reset it. That has happened twice. That was very annoying and even scary because I thought the unit was dead. The ability to record 5 hours of content is great, especially since I am not able to get a signal in any room of my house except for one room. Therefore, I have it set to record new content every night. If I want to use the unit in another room, for example, while working out on my treadmill, I always have new content to listen to, although it is not a live signal, it will do. The ability to go through that recorded content to find the songs you like is also great. You can't save songs forever on it. If you record content again, it will record over the previous content. I usually use it daily, but for a week or two I was not able to use it and the recording kept going and overwriting itself each night. This seemed to freak the unit out. I tried to listen to the recorded content after a couple of weeks of non-use and the songs were all broken up into little bits and didn't match the song title/artist that was showing. I deleted all the recorded content and re-recorded again, and it has been fine. I have thus learned to "clean out" the recorded content every once in a while to avoid that from happening.

Another little trick I have used is hooking up wireless headphones to the stereo. I can leave the unit alone hooked the stereo but go into any room of my house to hear it.

I give it four stars because the content is AWESOME and I do love it. However, it is certainly not portable for me because I can barely get a signal in my house. I almost returned the unit the first day because of that until I discovered that I could get a signal in that one spot. If it didn't have the recordable feature, it would be totally useless. You should know that when you subscribe, you can also get access to XM Radio online so that you can listen to most of the music channels on your computer using their player on their site. That alone is worth the price of the subscripion.

*I feel the need to edit this review since I originally wrote it because I have since discovered that Delphi sells a repeater that you can use with this unit in order to make the unit work in any part of your house (even if there is no signal in every room). You put the satellite antenna that came with the unit in best location to get a good signal, then hook the repeater up. You then hook the repeater antenna to the base unit which then picks up the repeater signal. It is now a totally portable unit in every room of your house. However, the unit must stay plugged into the base when you are bringing it from room to room, which can be awkward. The antenna you are attaching is pretty big and awkward as well. The antenna is about as big as the unit itself. Additionally, the repeater sells for approx. $169. Getting commercial free music is costing me a lot of money!

5.0 out of 5 stars I AM IN HEAVEN!, July 31, 2005
Terry Knapp (Santa Rosa, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I have been an XM fan for the last couple of years and could hardly wait to get ahold of the MyFi. I have not been disappointed. I commute 120 miles a day on public transportation and, while I love my iPod, I had been longing for a bit more variety. MyFi, with it's ability to record over five hours of entertainment, is the answer to my prayers. I simply plug it in before I go to bed, select whatever station suits my taste at the moment, hit "2Go" to start recording and voila! I am ready for the next day! I work in a building which overlooks San Francisco Bay, so during my lunch hour I go sit out by the bay (with it's absolutely clear view of the southern sky) eat my lunch, enjoy the "passing parade" and listen to live broadcasts. As I said, I am in heaven! I apologize for the fact that this is an entirely subjective review - I am not a "techie" and can only speak from my heart. As do some of the other reviewers, I have a problem with the headset which comes with the radio - I can't keep them in my ears. May I suggest Koss bud-type stereophones? They are reasonably priced, anchor quite comfortably in the ear canal, provide an impressive bass response and won't disturb the people sitting next to you!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Handy Gadget, February 8, 2005
Lynn (BEAUMONT, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
I have had my MyFi for a couple of weeks and have been a XM subscriber since car units became available. I am very pleased over all with the unit. It particularly has a substantial feel in the hand. It took me a total of 7 minutes from opening the box to getting a signal from XM! I can take the unit from home, to car, to outside.

I am patient with XM because I really like to listen to sports and the talk networks (BBC, CNN, FOX, C-Span). Therefore, the periodic loss of signal does not really bother me. It only occurs when I am out walking. You get better at attaching the antena to your clothing as time passes. I am sticking with this product because it is very useful to me. I am confident that the signal will only become clearer with time.

If you can tolerate periodic interruptions of signal - add the MyFi to your XM gadgets.

5.0 out of 5 stars This XM2go is a great little receiver & package., May 14, 2005
This XM2go is a great little receiver, So far I have just used it at home and it has been a God send. I live out in the country where there are tons of trees and rolling hills, radio reception is so so in the day time hear and is horrible at night. The XM single comes in strong and clear the Music and the talk all sound great. The receiver is very small (yet not too small) and very easy to use. It sets up in a home stand. All you do is plug in the power cord, home antenna and audio cable (which goes to your stereo, or the receiver also is an FM transmitter so you can position it by any stereo or boom box and transmit to specific stations) into the home stand and your all set. The unit sounds wonderful coming through my stereo. I am a huge talk radio fan and there is plenty of talk on XM. Also I am a huge baseball fan and XM has every baseball broadcast. Plus there are great music channels of all verity.

This receiver is small, but not to small where it would be hard to press the buttons, you can carry it with you anywhere, it comes with a complete set of accessories of which some I already mentioned such as the Home Antenna, Car Antenna, and An Antenna to use where your walking, jogging, or out at a game, or outside anywhere. There Are clips for the receiver, clips for the portable antenna, and also 3 different clips (mounts) to position the radio in your car. You can broadcast the XM receiver to your FM radio or you can use the cassette adapter which is included (there is also a way to wired it to you radio which should be done by a professional installer) to use the XM receiver in your car; one of the accessories is a base for your car (like the home base but smaller), so it would be the base stationed in your car not the XM2GO itself. So you would just plug the player into the base, plug the antenna in to the base and position it; and use either the cassette adapter or the XM FM transmitter (or wire it) and your all set. Other accessories are car power adapter, cleaning kit, headphones, a remote control and a carrying case for the receiver. Also I got a great deal though Amazon's seller program.

Update; I used it in my car today, and it was easy to install. I used the Vent Mount and the Antenna was easy to use (which surprised me) and the radio worked great and sounded great. I used the FM transmitter built into the unit, which is easily assessable in the menu. I Iove this thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slick unit!, January 29, 2005
Pablowablo (Ontario, California) - See all my reviews
Upgraded from Roady2. Unit is small and light. Good reception overall. I think I'm near a repeater because mine works in the house just fine with only the internal antenna. Definately has to be connected to the car antenna when driving. Kit comes with a remarkable set of accessories. 2go recording function is cool. Supplied headphones aren't that great. Has bass and treble controls and a sports ticker that the Roady2 didn't have. Comes with 2 nice car/home docking units.

4.0 out of 5 stars That 5 hour recording feature is there for a reason!, December 28, 2005
Mike "Pacman" (Aurora, CO, United States) - See all my reviews
With an ipod, I would have to take the time to download songs and pay $1 a piece. That was getting expensive. With the xm2go reciever, I just plug it in at home at night, schedule recordings, and I have a selection of songs to listen to the next day. If you want to listen to live broadcasts, that built antenna really didn't work at all for me. Only got reception 50% of the time outdoors, and none indoors even near a window. The home & car kits worked great tho.

‹ Previous | 15 6 729 | Next ›