4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Heavy Duty, but difficult to set up.
I was impressed with the weight of this jig - I would guess over 15 lbs. The castings are good quality and thick. Don't drop this on your toes! The weight keeps it firmly planted in the slot during use. It has two handles that keep your hands well out of harms way as you push your work through.
Setting up and trueing the jig was a bit of a pain. Having a left...
Published on May 19, 2000 by Al the Pal

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality of castings and lack of percision machining
After having read the reviews I have to agree with everyone who had a problem setting up the 183 tenoning jig and complained about the quality. I guess Delta's quality assurance personnel don't read the comments of their customers. Although the packing oil/grease was annoying I wasn't pleased with their quality control. The quality of the castings and the precision...
Published on January 6, 2003 by Ted Folkman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 58 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, September 19, 2001
Steve in NJ "njwalrus" (Bedminster, New Jersey USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DELTA 34-183 Tenoning Jig (Tools & Home Improvement)
I've wanted one of these for some time, but didn't think the cost would justify abandoning the homemade tenoning jig I've used for years. Careful set up is required, but the instructions are good, and it isn't difficult. Once set up, it holds true for cut after cut. I'm running it on an ancient Grizzly table saw that just barely survived the floods two years back and getting great results. I especially like the weight and mass of the tool, and the ease of using the speed clamp for production runs of the same cut. Worth the cost - no doubt.

3.0 out of 5 stars So, So tennoning jig, January 17, 2005
This review is from: DELTA 34-183 Tenoning Jig (Tools & Home Improvement)
The Jig came with a ton of grease that had to be cleaned off. But to do this, I had to take the whole thing apart which was a hassle. Also had to file down to the sharp edges and sand the bottom of the jig as it would scratch my table saw surface. The stock support fence was bent and had to be hammered back into flat. After all that the jig is working fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, March 22, 2001
Tool Connoisseur (APO, AE United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DELTA 34-183 Tenoning Jig (Tools & Home Improvement)
This tool is a must for anyone planning on making a tenon joint. Delta did a fine job of designing an entry-level tenoning jig at a reasonable price. For a sub-hundred dollar jig, it is nicely machined with plenty of adjustment and features, and it is very solid and steady (I easily tenon long boards that run clear to the ceiling). I'm normally one to pay extra to get the top of the line professional model but this one meets my needs well enough. I didn't have as much trouble with assembly as some here seemed to - for me it was from box to use in about an hour and this includes the time it took me to put a different guide bar on (my machine has a dovetail groove - I just had to drill two holes and tap them). The worst of the assembly was wiping the packing grease off. 20 minutes of the hour was squaring it up. My only negative comment is that I wish the adjusting bolts had a finer thread.

4.0 out of 5 stars Medium duty tennon jig, February 12, 2001
"stxcab" (Saint Croix, Virgin Islands USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DELTA 34-183 Tenoning Jig (Tools & Home Improvement)
The Delta 34-183 tennoning jig is a well machined and fitted tool. The hold down screw clamp is all it should be, superior thread fit, counter wieghted cranking, nice swivel foot. The cast iron body is ground and finished well, easy to set square, but of medium mass & wieght, although Delta has rated it as LIGHT DUTY. If you want the true "Heavy Duty" with a street price of about 4-1/2 times the model #34-183, I suggest you move up to the Delta model #34-172 tennoning jig, wieghing in at almost 36 lbs! HEY Tool Crib! Can you offer us the next step up, Delta model #34-72 Heavy Duty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Craftsman owners Beware, July 26, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: DELTA 34-183 Tenoning Jig (Tools & Home Improvement)
Craftsman owners beware the miter slot bar can be adjusted to 3/4" and above, but Craftsman table saw have a 3/4" slot and uses a .740" miter bar. I was able to machine mine to fit. However if you don't want to hassle with disassembling, machining and reassembling the miter bar, throw the Craftsman in the junk heap and buy a real saw. Delta Unisaw comes to mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Superb Jig, December 16, 2002
This review is from: DELTA 34-183 Tenoning Jig (Tools & Home Improvement)
I just bought one of these, the Delta 34-183 Tenoning Jig, and I mean to tell you that I am in love with this piece of equipment. I recently acquired an old Walker Turner 16" Band saw made out of cast iron weighing over 600 pounds, and this tenoning jig reminds me of that old world level of craftsmanship. This is a well-built, superbly engineered piece of equipment. I feel it would help you in your buying decision, and in properly setting up the piece of equipment, and avoiding the mistake that many others have made in stripping the base Allen bolts in setting it up, resulting in them having to return the piece of equipment. The allen wrench that comes with the jig is good for all of the allen wrench bolts, except the one that is buried in the base. That one is accessable through a hole in the base plate. It may be metric. You will notice some play in the allen bolt. Break out your allen wrenches and find one that fits perfectly. That nut is super well torqued down. Additionally, the problem that others are having with the 90 degree setting is solved by doing something different than the instructions call for. It's been awhile, and this is the 4th time I have submitted this review, and earlier attempts at complete setup have been non published, or edited out, so I am getting weary, and losing energy to try again, but essentially what you need to do is adjust the measuring guide to 90 degrees first, then tighten the bottom of the fence, and not the other way around, like the instructions call for. That way you get a perfect fit, and no having to shave washers and the like. ....
I have to say that I was hesitant to buy the Delta tenoning jig after reading the reviews. Nothing could be a bigger mistake. Buy this jig.
If you love it, and spend time in the instruction manual, you will realize it is well written, and setting it up, is a dream. A dream in engineering heaven. I know that tenons will pour out of this device perfectly. As I practice sliding the sled over the table-saw, I can feel the wood shaving off the finely honed carbide teeth of the blade, and this jig keeping the work piece, perfectly flat, perfectly parallel to the blade.
Anyhow, thanks for your time. I only write when I feel strongly about something. This Delta tenoning jig is something to feel strongly about. I know that 100 years from now, when they are clearing the dust off of my tools, that jig will be there, probably unrusted because I didn't wash the cosmolene off with a solvent, but merely wiped it off with a paper towel. :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Tenon Jig for Craftsman, March 29, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: DELTA 34-183 Tenoning Jig (Tools & Home Improvement)
Like mrm2you, I bought this jig for my Craftsman belt drive table saw. Again like mrm2you, I had to disassemble the jig and hone the guide bar for the miter slot. Once done, and after going through the setup, I am very pleased with the operation of the jig cutting tenons. I have used Sears 'universal jig' for the same operation, and there is simply no comparison between the two. Delta's jig is orders of magnitude better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Right or Left, March 12, 2007
This review is from: DELTA 34-183 Tenoning Jig (Tools & Home Improvement)
This jig is advertised as being flexible for right or left tilting saws. I have the Delta 10" contractor saw which tilts to the right. So you would expect that the standard setup (jig in the left miter slot) would work. However, the saw blade insert is about 2.75" wide to the left of the saw blade and about .875" wide to the right. The insert is slightly below the table surface. As the jig approaches the saw from the left, it loses support from the table and becomes lose/tippy - not what you want for precision tenon cuts. It works much better when placed in the right miter slot. However, you then lose the ability to place a support piece behind the wood being cut with the result being more chip out on the back side of the tenon piece. I found that cutting the shoulders first helps to reduce the chip out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool, October 8, 2002
"stormyday4" (Coos Bay, Oregon United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DELTA 34-183 Tenoning Jig (Tools & Home Improvement)
Besides cutting tenions, this jig is great for cutting raised panels on a table saw. you can set the angle very acuratly and the jig holds the board very well to give you complet control and a feeling of safety.

2.0 out of 5 stars So much potential yet so little quality, August 27, 2002
This review is from: DELTA 34-183 Tenoning Jig (Tools & Home Improvement)
Well, I'm very disappointed with the unit for the following reasons:
1. I couldn't get the vertical surface all the way square with the base without adding a shim under the locking knob travel guide. No big deal I guess, but jeez!
2. I promptly rounded out the slider bolt heads and had to drill them out. Again, easy to replace, but this was pushing the limits of my patience.
3. Couldn't get the slider bar parallel to the base (and therefore my blade). Upon inspection, I noticed the bore holes in the base are misaligned by as much as 1/16". Even with the play the holes are supposed to allow for adjustment of the slider, it was not enough to compensate for the misaligned drilling pattern. I returned it for another but found the same problem with the replacement.
Delta really should review there quality control. Until then, I'll avoid them.
Rick