5.0 out of 5 stars Blues Lovers Must Not Miss This CD!
As anyone who truly loves the blues already knows, the music of Charlie Musselwhite is as authentic as it gets! I've loved Charlie's music for well over a decade, and I have to say I am really excited that this CD captures his "Mississippi roots" better than any CD he has released in years! For those who are new to Charlie's music, this is the one to buy!
Published on June 8, 2006 by Thomas B. Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Blues Harp/Poor Production Choice
Published on December 23, 2010 by M. HIRN

5.0 out of 5 stars Blues Lovers Must Not Miss This CD!, June 8, 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST YET!!!, December 4, 2006
This review is from: Delta Hardware (Audio CD)
Charlie Musselwhite, a Blues icon as the best harp player in the world, has done it again. Every CD he does seems to get better and better. My favorite song on this CD, "Jump and Shout,'cause church is out", is destined to become a classic. This CD rocks with high energy. If you don't know Charlie's work, this CD would be a great introduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sure glad I found this CD!, November 7, 2006
M.H. Flinterman (Nieuwegein, the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Delta Hardware (Audio CD)
I found this CD in a music store in Leeuwarden, the Netherlands. I only knew Charlie of the song "Radio Boogie" he did with Elvin Bishop, on Bishop's "The Skin I'm In" album. Wow! Is this good blues or what?! I especially like 'Church's out' and 'Blues for yesterday'. Already classic! I'm going to check out Charlie's other albums right now!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the harp greats!!!, January 18, 2007
This review is from: Delta Hardware (Audio CD)
Charlie Musselwhite is supposed to have said, that he only knows one song, he just plays it slower or faster or in a different key. Well if that's the case he disguises it well and has managed to release over twenty albums of this song. This latest release is right up there with the best of them. This is no nonsense, no frills earthy blues, from the driving Church is Out and Blues for Yesterday, to the dark sounding Black Water. Buy this CD and just listen to that harp cry! It's a great driving album, but the problem is, there are only ten songs most of them two or three minutes long, so its finished before I get home. Ok just stick it on again!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, January 24, 2007
This review is from: Delta Hardware (Audio CD)
This is one for Blues Harp lovers! Great old school blues mixed with some modern style. I've heard Musselwhite play on a Blind Boys of Alabama CD and absolutely loved his style. This collection is different and yet equally as awesome... moreso if you consider the sheer volume of great harpin'. C.M. is a virtuoso of the harp. Buy this for the pure enjoyment of hearing what amazing sounds can be blown through a simple harmonica.

3.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Blues Harp/Poor Production Choice, December 23, 2010
M. HIRN (Minneapolis, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Delta Hardware (Audio CD)
I am new to the Charlie Musselwhite experience and I was excited to hear more of his incredible harmonica playing. While this album provides some great blues performances, my opinion is that their true greatness lies in the subtle nuances and the beautiful reverberation of the blues harp in the right accoustic conditions. Unfortunately, Chris Goldsmith, the producer chose the more muffled sound that one might associate with a crowded blues joint to anchor the recording. While this gives a real-world, raw quality to the recording, it robs the listener of Musselwhite's genius in its entirety. To get an understanding of what I am talking about, listen to "Charlie Musselwhite w/Richard Bargel" on YouTube. Then imagine that same recording without the bright crisp reverberation as if you were in a large, crowded club. To be sure, the latter sound I experienced on Delta Hardware will have an appeal to some listeners. For me, I will be searching for a Musselwhite recording with the former reverberated approach to production.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well I love it, February 26, 2009
This review is from: Delta Hardware (Audio CD)
It's my soundtrack driving around the panhandle (from Florida to Louisiana.) I know the band is from Cali but the sound is stripped down and it sound matches the environment.

I know lots of folks like their blues slicked up or with lots of guitar but that just wouldn't fit.

It's great - even though I usually prefer Musselwhite's instrumentals and there are none on this CD.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, May 7, 2007
This review is from: Delta Hardware (Audio CD)
I bought this based on the enthusiastic Amazon reviews and the fact that I like blues rock. This is my first Charlie Musselwhite and I was a bit disappointed. His vocals are laconic and the guitar is rarely gripping. The opening song has a good hook, but the rest is pretty forgettable. If you like blues harp, I'd recommend Kim Wilson's solo efforts over this. Still, it's a solid listenable album, and they may be more vivid in concert.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charlie climbing upward with age, August 13, 2007
This review is from: Delta Hardware (Audio CD)
I've owned this CD for about six months and really dig it. I'll add a little disclaimer: This is really only for true blues enthusiasts, but then again, I don't know who else would be looking at reviews of a Charlie Musselwhite CD. I just saw this band at The San Jose Jazz Festival two nights ago, 8/11/07, and they authenticated live everything that you hear on this CD, and much, much more. Charlie to be honest doesn't have much of a voice, but it's actually perfect for the genre of blues in which he dwells; call it the "Blues Storyteller Voice", if you will. And man, can he make that harmonica scream. I've heard more technically proficient harp players, but I don't think anyone plays it with more feeling than Charlie. But possibly the best thing Charlie has going for him right now is his new guitarist, Kid Anderson. The guy was getting rave applause after every single solo the other night, and he often took over the song. But that's exactly what Charlie needed, a very strong instrumentalist to keep things interesting during a 90 minute set, and when Charlie takes off on the harp after an Anderson solo, it makes it that much more exciting. If you're a blues lover, catch Charlie if he comes through your town. But the Amazon review was right on, every word of it. Don't wait to see the band live; if you love the blues, especially blues harmonica, pick this one up. Charlie is the real deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars harmonica at it's best, January 12, 2007
This review is from: Delta Hardware (Audio CD)
There are and have been a few great harmonica players. But I am always amazed what a great player musically and technically Charlie Musselwhite is. And I love the way he and his band sounds. The CD rocks and so do the lyrics of Black Water (title 4). Hello America, get ready for more...

Delta Hardware
Delta Hardware by Charlie Musselwhite (Audio CD - 2006)