Delta Children Portable Mini Crib, Cherry
Color Name: CherryChange
Price:$99.90 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 3, 2010
This crib was a lifesaver for us! We live in a small condo and didn't have room for a full-size crib. This was the PERFECT solution. Because it's made of wood, it looks much classier than the other alternatives we considered (which were made of white plastic tubing or were pack-and-plays). It also conforms to all the safety standards for portable cribs.

It was simple to assemble, folds very flat, and can easily roll through doorways. The platform is easy to switch from the upper to the lower position (but this design makes it impossible to put a skirt on the crib unless you are able to sew your own with openings for the levers and the parts of the platform that protrude through the slats). Only one side goes up and down, and it does take two hands to do that... but at 5 feet 5 inches tall I can easily reach in and out without having to raise or lower the side.

It differs from a standard size crib mainly in that it is not as long, so I don't anticipate that our daughter will be able to climb out of it any earlier than she would a standard size crib. We also put my friends' two year old (who is at the 90th percentile for height) into this crib once, and he fit in it just fine.

Like other reviewers, we did buy a two inch portable crib mattress (38 x 24 inches) to replace the thinner mattress that came with the crib. We love the crib so much, however, that this extra expense was no big deal. Of note, two inches is the thickest mattress that is considered safe for this crib.

I don't think this crib would be practical for families looking for something to take in the car on trips, but it's great for those without room for the full-size version or who want something that can be set up and then stored away again quickly (i.e. at Grandma's house).

ADDENDUM 11/2008
At 18 months, our daughter is now 32 inches tall and weighs 27 lbs. She still sleeps just fine in this crib and hasn't climbed out once. Though it's starting to look a little cramped in there for her, she doesn't seem to mind a bit. We were able to hand a Fischer-Price aquarium on one of the short sides for her. We've also taken it to the babysitter's house in the back of our Subaru Outback. We've learned that you have to be careful with the little plastic hook in front because it can scratch the finish if you don't hold it away from the slat as you move it. Overall, we are still thrilled with this purchase and are hoping that it will last us until our daughter is ready for a regular bed.

ADDENDUM 1/2010
At 24 months, our daughter was 35 inches tall and weighed 30 lbs. She was starting to look a little cramped in this crib and graduated to a Delta big-girl toddler bed. Baby brother has taken over this crib, and we still love it. Apart from a few scratches, it has held up well.

ADDENDUM 12/2012
I am now using this same crib with my third child, even though we have since moved to a great big house where I would easily have room for a full sized crib. I love this little crib! My second child has always been >97th percentile in height and weight and he slept just fine in this crib up until about 20 months. Never climbed out once. At 20 months he moved to the toddler bed. One comment has asked why we didn't get a full sized crib if we had room for a toddler bed. The answer to that is that we got the toddler bed when we needed the crib for a new baby, and we definitely would not have had room for two full-sized cribs or a full-sized crib and a toddler bed. The flexibility this smaller crib affords is unbeatable in that it's easy to move from beside my bed, to the master closet, to a separate bedroom just by rolling it through the doorways. My mom even made a custom crib skirt that fits on the platform and looks darling.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 18, 2009
First, the CONS:

This crib can be folded into a more compact, stow-away mode so you can store it in a closet or move it from home to home. I do not recommend doing this. The quality of this crib is not that great, and I believe that after about 6 months, the crib would be junk. I just leave it as it is in its normal operating mode and roll it from room to room, as I do not plan on storing it in a closet or moving it from house to house. So, if you plan on folding it up every day or plan on moving it often, I am afraid it will not last more than 6 months. Its just not that good of a crib.

Next, it is made out of particle board, not real wood. The finish looks good, but it can be easily worn off. Again, because of this, I do not recommend folding it into its compact mode. The finish will simply not last long.

Basically, when you put it together and put it in its normal operating mode, leave like that. At least you can roll it around easily.

Some have complained about the mattress pad being to thin for the baby's comfort. I thought that at first, but after my baby was on it a few nights, my fears have diminished greatly.

The PROS:

The price, for what you get, is excellent.

If you are looking for an AFFORDABLE secondary crib you can move around from room to room, this is the crib for you.

If you live in a small apartment, are limited on space (and budget) or simply want a smaller crib, this is the crib for you.

If you are looking for a "temporary" crib and are planning to upgrade later, this is the crib for you.

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A HIGH QUALITY CRIB, THIS IS NOT---REPEAT NOT--THE CRIB FOR YOU. (If you want a real wood crib you can move, buy a $600-$1000 hand crafted crib.)

///////The front gate moves up and down well. It has one full up position and one full down position. (I don't think it has a middle position.) This is the best feature of the crib, for many reasons./////////// The next best feature is that it can be rolled through tight doorways, from room to room, again an excellent feature for many reasons.

I have the cherry wood finish, and I like the look, it looks very good.

Conclusion:

After two weeks with the crib, this is what I think.

I really like it. The overall quality of this crib is pretty good for the price. The overall functionality is only fair (read my CONS section). I think you could resell these at a garage sale if you kept them looking good, or at least give them to Habitat for Humanity or some other organization that helps the less fortunate if you want to get rid of it.

The crib's platform where the baby is placed has two levels, down low and up high. I have mine in the up high position and I have never changed it. I have a newborn.

It rolls easily on carpet.

I move it from room to room often. This is very helpful for many many reasons. I move the gate up and down often, this is very helpful when you sleep in bed with this crib next to you with the gate down. The gate is mostly in the down position, as I have a small newborn.

Final thoughts: An excellent secondary crib that rolls and has a sliding gate perfect for newborns or couples with limited space that are on a budget.

UPDATE...............UPDATE..................UPDATE.........FEB. 2011.....

THE DROP-SIDE FEATURE HAS BEEN BANNED BY THE U.S. GOV. BECAUSE IT HAS CAUSED INFANT DEATHS.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 6, 2008
Verified Purchase
Shortly after the birth of our second son, our cheap bassinet was recalled. At the same time, our son was ready to progress to a crib, but wasn't quite ready to share a room with his older brother. We wanted to continue to keep our baby in our room until he could sleep through the night, but needed an item with a small foot print.

This crib is compact, assembles, collapses and sets up easily (I, a 5'3" woman assembled it and then carried it up three floors by myself).

The crib bottom can be set at two heights, has a drop-side, collapses in half, and holds up to 45lbs. One thing to note, the crib does not have locking wheels and our 23 month old can easily pull his 7 month old brother around the room with ease.We're presently working on solution to this issue. Most likely we will remove wheels & cover leg ends with felt.

The crib is classical in styling and is sturdily built. We love this crib and kick ourselves for not registering for this instead of the bassinet.

Oh forgot to mention that when the crib is in its highest setting (bassinet), with the drop-side down, the crib can also be used as a changing table.
on June 21, 2010
We had a VERY tight space for our daughter to sleep, and chose this because it fit the measurements. She slept in it until we moved her to her toddler bed -- a full two years. It folds and rolls easily. It has held up remarkably well through 4 moves (though moving that often I wouldn't recommend for other reasons!!). And when the plastic on one castor did break during a move, customer service was extremely helpful and sent me a new set of castors free of charge. Some people commented that sheets are hard to find, but not if you just search online using the mattress measurements (24x38). My only complaint is that the mattress is awful. Just include the price of a new mattress with this purchase -- there are quite a few out there. We did use the regular mattress for our daughter, but I feel awful that we put her through that, and the vinyl around the foam split after all that use anyway. We are purchasing a new mattress before our next baby arrives in a few months, but plan to keep using the crib!
on December 28, 2014
Color Name: CherryVerified Purchase
Great purchase! Perfect for overnighters at Grandpa & Grandma's! We also took it on a 1300mi Road trip from Tucson, az up to Seattle area and back, it got sun/wind/rain exposure and you can't even tell! Worth the $$
review image
on February 16, 2010
I'm not sure about everyone else but other then the occasional trip (and to be fair, if they invited my kid they probably HAVE a portacrib already) most portable cribs I see are permenently set up as a downstairs "put the baby down / napping crib". If that is your purpose, this crib is excellent. Instead of having a bulky nylon and mesh monstronsity smack dab in the middle of your living room, this allows you to have a pretty, streamlined wooden crib, with your baby elevated! The slats allow you to see your sleeping cherub and the higher height and wheels make it easier on your back. I used it as both a downstairs changing table AND crib. Also, we used it exclusively during the day and it was better all around. My daughter was able to nap within easy reach, and I didn't have to constantly run up and down stairs. Add to that having a downstairs crib exposed her to noise (tv, phone, vacuum!) and she learned to sleep through just about anything.

Many reveiwers comment on the "thin" mattress. I'm not certain that's a factor. I think wanting a plush mattress is akin to seeing catfood in commercials served on china. I'm fairly sure the cat doesn't care, and I know for sure my daughter didn't.

The only - only - downside is, you get what you pay for. If you really want this to be "portable" - it's not a great option. It's cheap. And yes, it wouldn't hold more then 35lbs, and as soon as she could jump, she was out. But we LOVED it and I would recommend it as a secondary crib without reservation.
on September 13, 2012
Color Name: Cherry
I bought this because I wanted my newborn to be in the room with my husband and I for the first couple of weeks, and we own a king sized bed so this was a perfect fit in our room, but when we put our daughter back into her room one night, I awoke to her screaming and went to check on her, omg the bottom of the crib had fallen out and she had rolled out of the bottom of the crib!! 3 weeks old!!! I was freaked!!!so be careful with them, you get what you pay for!!!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 27, 2010
Color Name: White
This crib is small, sturdy, looks nice, and was easy to put together. The only complaint that I have is that it is not easy to put the mattress level up and down once put together.
on November 22, 2013
Color Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
My wife and I were looking for an inexpensive portable crib. This was one of the few models that had customer reviews posted, although not all positive. However, I figured "better the devil that you know..." and purchased this crib. I was never able to fully assemble the crib. Like another reviewer, my crib arrived with one side with pre-drilled holes that didn't align with the other side. The crib comes with instructions asking the purchaser not to return defective cribs and instead to call Delta's customer service department so that a new part can be shipped. (I guess defective parts are pretty common with Delta). I called and was told that the part was back-ordered for a month. I returned the crib to Amazon and went with another brand and am happy that I did. For a few dollars more I found another portable crib that I think is better quality.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 25, 2012
Color Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
I ordered the Delta mini crib because our grandson is going to be over the weight limit for a Pack n play fairly soon. Finding a supplier that could ship the product in time for the arrival of my grandson....was difficult. Amazon wins the prize for fast delivery but the crib was defective. A hinge pin was missing and one of the pre-drilled holes was misaligned. Fortunately I found a slim nail that worked as a hinge pin. I filled the original drilled hole with a dowel and then redrilled the hole where it needed to be. After that, all went well. BUT, not everyone is this handy....and with my time crunch I couldn't return the product. So buyer beware. I did love the Amazon shipping. As far as the mattress on this bed...it is nasty. I ordered a three inch matress as well and it was much better. Baby slept well. I am keeping the crib since the hard work is done and I don't want to disassemble this one and then have to reassemble a new one. The instructions that came with the bed are terrible!!! There is a difference between the two rails of the crib that is not fully explained and can create a mishap when assembling. Someone with no experience putting things togetherwould not be able to do it. Delta needs to learn from Ikeas easy to understand assembly printouts. It didn't help the instructions are glued to the underside of the mattress support. Otherwise the crib is better than a pack n play and it will stay in a guest bedroom and service all of my future grandchildren.

All the other items ordered for the baby through Amazon have met my expectations.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations