5.0 out of 5 stars Magically DELicious
Today I had an epiphany! I heard this CD for the first time at a friends house, then had to leave to buy it, urgently because evidently I had been missing out on something spectacular. I began this journey at the end and worked my way backwards. It started with Blur and Cibo Matto which led to Gorillaz, which led to this.
Generally as a rule, I am not the biggest...
Published on December 29, 2001 by M. S. Tucker

2.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl QA Issues
This review is strictly based on my experience with the vinyl re-issue I purchased of this album from Amazon. The first copy I received was warped and had odd streaks of color in the black vinyl. Both discs skipped very badly. I returned for a replacement, and the replacement also skips though not quite as badly. The replacement vinyl was a weird shade of purple with...
Published 10 months ago by S. Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Magically DELicious, December 29, 2001
This review is from: Deltron 3030 (Audio CD)
Generally as a rule, I am not the biggest fan of hip-hop or rap or whatever you want to call it. Sure I like Dr. Dre and some Eminem and of course the Beastie Boys along with a very small dose of DMX but other than the real mainstream hip-hop....never give it much of a thought. That all went out the window when I bought the Gorillaz debut in June 2001 and started to learn about the sheer brilliance behind the maddness.
Between Del, Dan, Kid and the cameos by Sean Lennon as well as my hero Damon Albarn, you really can't get any closer to perfection than this (with the exception of 3 tracks on the Gorillaz CD). The amazing sampling that goes on and the loops that you would never expect in a million years (ie a harpsichord) are what initially got my attention and then...there are the lyrics. They are so out there in left field and yet...for some reason, make perfect sense. The style of the rap is unique as well, hard to describe, very hard-hitting but not aggressive like DMX or Wu-Tang ..not "thug like"...more like a Rhodes Scholar morphed with George Clinton..again, difficult to describe but amazing. The backbeat and tracks are also unusual, there is a good amount of bass which you would expect but not the pounding that you hear in the more mainstream stuff, the loops and beats are woven very tight and seamless. I am seriously awestruck by this.
I think that this CD is actually a bit more accessible than the Gorillaz CD so I am not quite sure why it never got much of a "buzz" going. Perhaps now it will.
I realize I am way behind and missed this bandwagon. The only reason I wrote this was to let the slow learners like me know..get this...you won't believe it. Not even sure what category you would put this in really. It is so far ahead of anything maybe a new genere should be set for this or maybe it doesn't need one at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, January 17, 2001
Amazon Customer (Oakland, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deltron 3030 [Vinyl] (Vinyl)
I'd recommend anybody to pick up this album. Dan the Automator and Del are always great, but I think they both have their personal bests with this one. Every track is tight, although I would've gotten rid of a skit or two.
If I was to make a complaint, it's that it so sucessfully combines pretentious pop music with hip-hop, something that maybe shouldn't be combined in the first place. The arrangments are less "Dr. Octagon" and more "Sgt. Pepper's"... the amazing title track has a chorus with orchestra that sounds vaguely "Day in the Life," the opening to "Mastermind" sounds like the intro from "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," and Sean Lennon even sings in "Memory Loss." The rapping is smooth and smart, but so dedicated to the concept of life in a science fiction world that it becomes a focus of the album, like a "Tommy."
But really there's nothing to complain about. The beats and rapping are great, and the arrangements and lyrical focus are revolutionary. Ten years from now all hip-hop will sound like this, but I can't believe it'll ever be done this well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Start your Dan the Automator collection right here., May 6, 2006
OverTheMoon (overthemoonreview@hotmail.com) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deltron 3030 (Audio CD)
Deltron 3030 is easily one of the best hip-hop albums you will ever hear. Everyone who listens to it just cant stop replaying the Deltron 3030 track over and over again, could even be the best album you hear all year the first time you try it out, which just goes to show why it is so popular. This is futuristic and inventive hip-hop that can easily beat mainstream works around the place and then ask for more. Not only are the lyrics as good as the very best but the music and background tracks are all sublime stuff, making the hairs prick up on your arms and neck. Yeah Deltron 3030 is easily the next best thing hip-hop has produced since Nas - Illmatic. Once you hear Deltron 3030 you will be off trying to get everything else Dan the Automator has done... and rightly so.

4.0 out of 5 stars Outer Space bon voyage!, October 23, 2000
"dwarfer" (Iowa of all places) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deltron 3030 (Audio CD)
I must say when I first heard about this album I was wary. I immediately noticed the same equation as Dr. Octagon, Automator on production, infamous underground emcee Kool Keith and the dj slot filled by the incredible Qbert. But Deltron 3030 had Del the Funky Homosapien who has a huge following, but personally Kool Keith is my all time favorite mc. Then as dope as Kid Koala is he's now Qbert. So you can see with these preconceptions I wasn't expecting much. But instead I was very impressed, this album is hella tight! Though it doesn't have the same gritty super surreal vibe of Dr. Octagon, Deltron 3030 has a more coherent version of the future. Deltron 3030 reminded me of parts of the animated classic Heavy Metal but hip hop instead of metal, plus it had the mech influence of anime. Overall well worth the purchase but not quite as good as Dr. Octagon that's why I couldn't give it 5 stars. If you liked this album check out Analog Brothers "Pimp to Eat" Kool Keith's own follow up to Dr. Octagon with the legendary Ice-T!, Sir Menelik's stuff, Company Flow "Funcrusher Plus", Anti Pop Consortium "Tragic Epilogue" and some of the Anticon stuff has a tendancy to sound post apocolyptic. Also if you liked those albums check THIS one out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deltron 3030, You missed the tour, so get the CD!!!, August 3, 2001
This review is from: Deltron 3030 (Audio CD)
What happens when you want to hear some real HIP-HOP? You get one of the best MC's in history (del), the most musical turntablist on the planet (kid koala), and throw in the most underrated producer in the music industry (dan). You end up with one of the most experimental, and "ahead of it's time" albums in hip-hop. If you're tired of the hip-POP [music]that they play on MTV, and on most radio stations. If your tired of music with no meaning at all, listen to this album. What you will find is an extremely lyrically gifted artist, laying down metaphors verse after verse. It may take you a while to absorb it all, but hey... it has substance. The music in the background may take a while to absorb as well. If you "feel" music, then this is something that you will like. Very experimental.
Extremely original.
If you like Dr. Octagon, DJ Shadow, Lyrics Born, Skratch Picklz, Heiroglyphics, or Gorillaz... you'll probably dig this one. And if you haven't heard any of the above... you probably should.
Peace

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing., February 9, 2001
Jakeymon (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deltron 3030 (Audio CD)
This is an amazing CD. Just about everything works. Del's lyricism and delivery are the best he's ever spit to us (not to disrespect the other stuff now), Kid K.'s work is slightly outta sight, and Automator is just plain always brilliant. And this is deep stuff here, not easy hip hop listening. I was challenged by this CD right off and still am every time I listen to it (which is five or six times a week). And that's the way I like it. But your results may vary.
Still, I personally think that everyone who listens to hip hop should give this disc a spin and join the party. Now I know that's not how it will be, though, cause lots of people will think there are too many skits, some will think that the words are no good, and other folks won't like the way Deltron Z (or Del tha Funkee Homo Sapien, whatever) rhymes. Maybe some folks won't like the "positive conTACT!" overdub on Positive Contact. (Well, actually, I don't like that particular element myself.) But I think that anyone who comes to this looking at it as, album-oriented hip hop, will be pretty impressed. I sure was.
All in all, this is the best thing I heard in 2000 and I look forward to listening to it in 2001, 2002, 2003...

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST HIP HOP ALBUM I'VE HEARD IN AGES, April 2, 2001
Jeff (Sydney Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deltron 3030 (Audio CD)
I'm not usually a big Hip Hop Fan. But this album absolutely knocks my socks off. I live in Australia so everything new and funky takes a little while to filter through from the US but I heard a couple of songs off this album on a couple of local radio stations here JJJ and Underground Radio, and I was hooked. If you live in Australia it's fairly difficult to locate but easy enough to get off the net. IT IS WELL WORTH IT. The post apocalyptic theme, gives subject matter for the flow through.. pretty much every full length song is amazingly well put to gether, with smooth inventive lyrics and tip well produced beats and good use of scratching. The highlights of this album are the epic 3030, Memory Loss, Time Slipping and Madness. Although all songs are definitely worthy. I would rate this easily as my favourite album of the years so far. If you've ever thought that hip hop was just about self promoting rappers confined to lyrics about their crews and women. This album will open your mind... Enough from me JUST GO AND BUY THE ALBUM!

5.0 out of 5 stars Profound, awesome hip hop, December 9, 2004
This review is from: Deltron 3030 (Audio CD)
This IS gold. This is GREAT hip hop and one of the ultimate albums to arrive in recent years. Even though this has been out for a while, it remains one of the most cutting edge and awesome of all hip hop albums. For me, this is the underground working together to make a near flawless work of art. Usually, when there are "guest slots" on an album it means the album is weak and has no substance. NOT SO HERE.

DELTRON 3030 is one of those epic releases where everything works. The guest dj's actually add their genius to the combined forces of the other dj's instead of having an ego contest. It is strong, meaningful, straight talking hip hop and is without a doubt FIVE STARS. Congrats, all involved with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the greatest, March 11, 2006
This review is from: Deltron 3030 (Audio CD)
I can't even begin to say how historic and great this album is. The beats are great, del kills it on the lyrics, and the track 3030 is probably one of the top 5 beats and songs that I have ever heard and i defy any one to disagree with me. Just buy it. Ground-breaking, and simply put, one great album

5.0 out of 5 stars the funkiest homosapien, May 24, 2005
This review is from: Deltron 3030 (Audio CD)
this is the best rap album to hit the shelves since the beginning of rap. unfortunately i missed this album when it was first released, but thanks to the gorillaz, i discovered this rare gem and hunted around for a month before copping it. i cant put it down. the beats and lyrics are amamzing. most say that del is too abstract, but that is because there is so much low-level rappers that people arent used to really listening and thinking about what they are hearing. this record is old-school as well as too ahead of its time. ultimately its artistry can only be appreiciated by those who still long for some substance and not nursery rhymes. this is a must have album for all music lovers, so go get it!

Deltron 3030