5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy for any DM
My litmus test for a DM screen is pretty easy: Could I have made something of similar quality myself in less than an hour at the same or lower cost? The answer in this case is no, I could not have.

Construction: 9/10

Published on February 16, 2011 by Rolf M. Buchner

3.0 out of 5 stars Best thing about 4th edition - the DM screen!
I love the landscape orientation and the hardstock material used. Never liked the 4th edition rules, but using this with a lot of fun. For our other pen and paper RPG's. The 3.x edition DM screens were portrait orientated and flimsy in comparison.
Published 10 months ago by Erik de Vries

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy for any DM, February 16, 2011
This review is from: Deluxe Dungeon Master's Screen: A 4th Edition D&D Accessory (Hardcover)

Construction: 9/10

The DM screen is hardy cardstock. It's about 2mm thick and has the same hardness as the D&D hard-bound books. You could hold the surface with one hand and write on it with the other, it's not those floppy screens of old.

The screen is also in landcape mode rather than portrait. This means you can actually see over it to the battle mat. Always handy. :-)

I would have liked to seen some corner reinforcements, as those always get dinged up, but that's kind of a nit.

Content: 10/10

Every major chart I would want. Combat modifiers, common skills, standard DCs chart, Bend Bars/Lift gates chart, damage expressions, status effects. They're all here. Nice. Common diseases and poisons would have been a nice thing to add, but I use them rarely enough that I don't mind grabbing a book for those. Honestly the information on the screen will cover 99% of the things that I would want to look up. If I had this screen yesterday, I wouldn't have had to look up the jumping rules.

Artwork: 5/10

Purely a personal thing. The artwork is nice, but the halfling looks like an anime character and the displacer beast really needs to eat something. Both females on the cover are dressed in skimpy cleavage-baring costumers despite it snowing. Whatever. I didn't buy it for the artwork and it doesn't affect the main functionality of the screen, so I'm not going to knock any stars off for this.

Reviewer Bias: 10/10

For $10, you really can't beat it. I mean, seriously. If I were to photocopy and then cut/paste all this content onto similar material it would probably cost me right around the same amount, and it'd take tons more time than clicking the order button on Amazon. This screen will likely last a long time (barring major rules errata), so I expect to get my money's worth and then some.

Feature Wishlist:

I really wish that instead of static artwork on the outside they had made transparent pockets. I would love to be able to insert my own paper so that the players can look at a picture of the monster they are fighting, or a map of the game world, or a chart with the other PCs names, etc etc. I can achieve the same effect by using those industrial paper clips, but I don't want to mar the surface of the board. This isn't a huge complaint, and certainly not a dealbreaker, just something that would have been a nice feature.

I would have liked to have had the rules for escaping grabs (Acrobatics or Athletics: Make an Acrobatics check vs. Reflex or an Athletics check vs. Fortitude against
the creature or effect that immobilized you.). I always forget that in the moment, and it's not a ton of text. I'll just sticky-note it, so no big deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Updated DM Screen, February 15, 2011
The Deluxe DM Screen will be very familiar to anyone who purchased the original Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon Master's Screen. It is made of the same hardcover material that can stand up to a beating, and retains the wide four-panel layout. For those not familiar with the previous screen, this screen is wide, with enough space to fit multiple sheets of paper comfortably behind it. It is made of a thick cardstock; the same type used for the covers of the hardcover 4th edition books, so it is sturdy and durable.

The real changes over the last screen are apparent when one examines the tables. Without getting into an Essentials vs. Non-Essentials argument, it is worth mentioning that the tables themselves are almost the exact same as the tables found on the flimsy screen in the Dungeon Master's Kit: An Essential Dungeons & Dragons Kit (4th Edition D&D). Therefore, this screen includes all the recent errata and the new Essentials-era take on damage expressions and DCs. There is a swap, however, with cover and concealment rules being replaced with skill challenge guidelines and charging rules. Whether this is a good change or not I suppose depends on the DM, but I personally find it to be for the better. I also much prefer the layout for common skill check DCs as opposed to those found on the original DM screen.

All in all, it amounts to an updated and reorganized take on the original screen, and one worth adding to your collection if you use the most recent take on damage expressions and DCs. It is not a world's difference from the prior screen, but it is large and durable with appropriate and beneficial style, layout, and content changes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Help, February 18, 2011
This DM screen is quite handy. I'm very much a minimalist when it comes to gaming acceories (mostly due to cost), but this screen is well worth it with a large variety of useful charts and info which has allowed my games run more smoothly. As far has quality goes, I really don't see it breaking down anytime soon. Great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied Player/Girlfriend & DM/Boyfriend, May 3, 2011
I bought this for my DM veteran of a boyfriend. Although he has been playing/DMing for quite a few years now, he has not seen fit to equip himself with a screen. A problem arose last session when some of the other players were peeking at his NPC notes--enemy HPs, battle order, et cetera. So, I took it upon myself as an enthusiastic player--and an awesome girlfriend--to get him one. Seeing as how we are trying out a 4th Edition game, I figured this one would do. Totally satisfied with the artwork, layout, thickness, and height. Very functional for our uses. DM is very pleased with the info listed inside. It will be getting lots of use in many sessions/campaigns to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a Gift!, March 11, 2012
I bought this for my husband who runs our D&D sessions. He really likes it and thinks its very useful, not having to look as many things up; really helps the flow of combat! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars So much easier!, August 12, 2011
Bought this for my son, he said: This was a great purchase, it's so much easier to run D&D games with this as you no longer have to look up every little detail, most of the important stuff is now right there in front of you. Wish I'd bought it earlier.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Screen by ny other name, March 15, 2011
T. J. Ryan (Worcester, MA) - See all my reviews
So, if you're buying a DM screen, you generally know what one is and what to expect. Here's the highlights..

-If you have the previous edition, it's got most of the same things, but updated for errata and a slightly different collection of charts. The new xp/encounter chart, updtated status effects, and the corrected skill difficulty chart.

-New, snazzier art

That's about it. =) I upgraded, but I find the new updated charts (corrected for the errata) to be worth it for my game.. Your mileage may vary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for, July 15, 2014
Brenda King (HInesville, Ga) - See all my reviews
Perfect

3.0 out of 5 stars Best thing about 4th edition - the DM screen!, March 13, 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Dungeon Master Screens have tons of useless info on them., February 4, 2014
Might just be me, but a lot of the things on most every screen I've ever had I've never used. Feel like these screens are made generically, not by someone who has actually run a game. Nevertheless, it's four panels wide, which is nice and the front artwork is cool enough that I use it for all my games, not just D and D.

Deluxe Dungeon Master's Screen: A 4th Edition D&D Accessory
Deluxe Dungeon Master's Screen: A 4th Edition D&D Accessory by Wizards RPG Team (Hardcover - February 15, 2011)
Used & New from: $27.16