5.0 out of 5 stars Perfecting His Formula
Published on November 15, 2011 by Q. Pair

1.0 out of 5 stars Hip-Hop keeps getting softer and wimpier by the minute!
Published on December 16, 2011 by Georgio Alfani

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfecting His Formula, November 15, 2011
If I had to sum up Take Care in one word, I would say its growth. If there's one thing that Drake has shown us since he came into the rap game, its that he is, if nothing else, consistent. He has a formula: Rap a lot, sing a little, do a hook here and there, and bam, you've got Drake's whole catalog in less that one sentence. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and in the case of Take Care, Drake seems to focus more on perfecting his formula rather than expanding it, while still showing us that he's gotten better.

First and foremost, I was happy to see 17 tracks on here, all of which are music, no skits. That's a big plus for me. But anyway, back to the topic. Drake has never been lacking when it comes to lyrical ability, and he certainly seems to have stepped his game up on this album. With songs like "Under Ground Kings" and "Lord Knows", we see Drake really flexing those lyrical muscles. He even steps away briefly from his standard pacing and monotone flow and unleashes a flurry of rhymes at once with what seems like little breathing involved on HYFR ("Hell Yeah F****ng Right") feat. Lil Wayne. Even on the slower songs, overall, they are lyrically solid.

While Drake does have a healthy dose of banger worthy tracks, there are a good number of slow songs on the album and may or may not sit well with the average hip hop head. One of Drake's biggest criticisms is that he flip flops between singing and rapping too much, and that he can easily slip right into R&B mode and kill whatever head nodding vibe he managed to create two song ago. While he DOES go pretty R&B mode for a bit, he keeps those songs close together ("Doin It Wrong", and "The Real Her feat. Lil Wayne & Andre 3000",) while the rest of the songs are more of his rapping with the occasional singing on the hook. Standard Drake formula.

A great high point of this album is easily the production. Drake has consistently shown that he has good taste in the beats that he uses, and after having heard the CD a few times now, I cant find one that I don't like. Granted, some are better then others, but overall there are no throwaway beats, and each one seems to be handcrafted to fit Drake, his style of writing, and solidifies the feel of the song. Also, while features were moderate, I think they were all well done, with a possible exception for Kendrick Lamar's part on the "Marvin's Room/Buried Alive Interlude" and Andre 3000 on "The Real Her". Kendrick himself is an awesome rapper, but his part on "Marvin's Room" just seemed out of place and weird to hear after the song had played. And 3 Stacks' addition to "The Real Her" seemed equally awkward, like his heart wasn't in it (which it probably wasn't).

The only downside I can really say there is to Take Care is the same one that was present in Thank Me Later: content. While Drake is a phenomenal song writer, he really leaves much to be desired in the area of subject matter. The summation of all of Drake's entire catalog, including his mixtape material, is: I love this girl, I wanna f*** this girl, this girl broke my heart, I broke a lot of girl's hearts, I'm awesome and rich, I love girls. Yeah, that's pretty much the whole album right there. Now, even though I would like to see Drake branch out and write outside of his comfort zone, I do applaud the fact that he doesn't try to touch on things he knows nothing about, since that would sound stupid. His songs, while monotonous in subject matter feel honest and sincere, and if nothing else, very relate-able. Doing It Wrong is just resonating with me right now.

As a whole, I believe that Take Care is in fact an improvement of the standard formula Drake has made for himself for constructing an album. It will by no means change the minds of nay sayers, nor will it make his fans love him any less. Its just more of the same thing that made him successful. Hopefully he will learn to expand his horizons a bit in the near future and talk about different things (he got a good start with his touching tribute to his mom on Look What You've Done") but I wont get my hopes up. But as long as he's putting out quality music, I'm not too bothered by it. If you like Drake, pick up a copy, its worth it.

Favorite Tracks:

Lord Knows feat. Rick Ross (Awesome beat!)

Shot For Me (Real talk for post relationship BS your going through)

Under Ground Kings (Awesome beat, great display of lyrical ability)

Doing It Wrong (Relationship issues you've either dealt with before, or will in the future)

Look What You've Done (Great tribute to his mom and uncle)

Over My Dead Body (Real chilled beat, great opening track)

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, November 28, 2011
This album is a MUST HAVE. There are only like 2 tracks I don't care for. This is one of those albums you can listen to over and over and not get sick of it. It's very mellow which is perfect for me. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Surprised., December 1, 2011
This review is from: Take Care [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
I was planning on getting this album eventually, but when Amazon ran a $2 sale on it--I couldn't help but pick it up. And I'm shocked. I feel like I finally get what all the big hoopla about Drake is now.

Before I've never really been a fan of his soft "not really singing but kind of" voice that he has on a lot of his old stuff. It's not rap and it just didn't appeal to me. But on this album--I'm not really sure whether it's because the music is so much better or if a little light bulb in my head got turned on, but I found myself wanting him to "sing" more than actually rap.

"Crew Love" is just so sic. The chorus has been on repeat in my head for days now. It's a really solid album-but it does lack a little range, so if you don't like the singles--you're not going to like the album. For me though, Drake just picked up a new fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Drake is Drake, not pac, public enemy, rakim, etc. Get used to it., November 23, 2011
The Daynos (Chicago, IL, USA) - See all my reviews
So first of all, Drake is Drake. This is his 2nd major release and he has quite a few lesser known releases from a few years ago. Anyone who claims to be a hip hop head and then gets mad that this cd isn't as hip hop as they expected, then what can i tell you? Well, i could tell you that you're simply not a hip hop head. Anyone who knows anything about hip hop can tell you off the bat that yes, Drake can spit, but that isn't his only talent and he isn't interested in making a rap album. Most of his songs feature him singing whether on auto tune or with some other kind of voice enhancement. I've seen him in concert and can tell you that he's not a very good singer without the digital help. But lucky for us, he (like most of today's r&b acts) is smart enough to use these enhancements on the cd. He isn't a thug, he isn't from the streets, and he isn't a battle rapper or a free styler. However, too many people are interested in comparing him based on those attributes instead of just laying back and listening to this cd.

You know who you are so i'll stop there.

As far as this cd goes, it's real addicting, mainly because of the hooks and the beats. The beats are top notch. Production is so solid and goes perfect with Drake. The guest spots for the most part are solid too, except for the last few bars from nicki minaj.

I really like this cd but i'm gonna compare it to his previous works, simply because while Drake has definitely matured in his last couple of cd's, he has a certain sound that sticks with him throughout. And it's easier to compare this cd with his previous cd's instead of comparing him to wu-tang, biggie, or some ridiculous sh* like that.

As far as the full cd comparison/rating goes, gotta say that the beats on this one completely murder his previous cd's. And the way he strings the songs along as far as sounding unstructured but not unfocused, it's all perfect. Best beats are Crew Love, Cameras, The Real Her.

Lyrically, this cd is probably his worst. (not bad at all, but not as good as his last two) He sounds a lot more bitter and sad on this one than his previous two, and definitely not as creative. So Far Gone you could tell he was optimistic. Thank Me Later he was about living it up with his fame. Now on Take Care, he's about addressing the haters. And don't get me wrong, i love revenge and he does it well (especially on Take a Shot For Me = masterpiece). But what happened to the party songs where you just hear that track and you think wow i want to feel that good about my life too? Drake isn't even talking good about women anymore. "Shut it Down" from Thank Me Later was such a great song for the women. "Fancy" showed his appreciation for women who get it themselves while still beign a bangin track. This cd has none of that. All the songs about women are really like breakup songs and revenge songs, or telling a girl hey you gotta deal with my problem so either deal with it or don't. And all of the party songs have some touch of rubbing it in to the people hating on the sidelines. I agree with many reviewers here who think that the young money crew is bringing Drake down. The track HYFR was unnecessary. It's real sloppy and sounds more like a mix tape track. Real weak hook that has nothing to do with the verses, which may be common for many rappers but definitely not Drake. With Drake, I expect the hook, bridge, verses, all to tell the same story. HYFR is just all over the place, doesn't make sense to me. The Rick Ross guest spot wasn't bad but I don't think it added anything to that song. Seemed just like a spot to advertise for Rick Ross. Same with Nicki Minaj's last few lines on her song. Weak.

I disagree with a lot of reviewers on here when it come to the song "Practice". I love this song, think it's a good way to remix a classic. I like the message on here, it's really the only positive song he has on here towards women, well it is in comparison to the rest of this cd.

The happiest song on this cd is probably the most emo track, which is the one with his mom on it, which is trendy right now for rappers to do, but he pulls it off well.

Right now i'm jamming to this cd mainly for the beats and the mood. When I want more lyrical drizzy, i'll throw Thank Me Later or So Far Gone in the deck. I don't see this cd being a classic like a lot of you do, sorry. I just know how old I am and throughout time, you get to realize that most artists only have one or two classic cd's and the rest you can appreciate but you will skip over when you're in the mood to hear that artist. In 20 years, we won't be reaching for this cd, we'll be reaching for So Far Gone probably. There are definitely exceptions to that rule, but this cd is not one of them. Good, even Great cd here. But no classic. 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this album good? HYFR!, November 28, 2011
These days, Drake has turned into a man that is either loved or hated. First of all, people dislike him for his ability to balance singing and rapping in his songs. Lets be honest - some flat out hate it and wish he would choose one. But his real fans know no choice has to nor should be made. Drake is talented in both worlds, and he best says "F you" to his haters in "Lord Knows" ft. Rick Ross. Those of you who have listened to this song know EXACTLY to what I am referencing.

"Take Care" has been a project carefully crafted over the past year by Drake. It's about his life, who he is, what he experiences and he allows the listener to take a glimpse into his world. Its a refreshing break from those rap artists who are constantly spitting lines about drug dealing, threatening to kill other dudes or steal their girls. Drake is a genre of his own. There are not many other artists who can be compared to him - which is one thing I appreciate about his artistry. He gives music that is completely relatable and he is endlessly quotable.

I recommend this album to anyone with a brain, and anyone who is able to appreciate good music. There are a lot of great songs on this album. My favorites are most certainly:

Under Ground Kings
Buried Alive Interlude
Over My Dead Body
Crew Love
Take Care
The Love
Doing It Wrong

I do have a couple of issues with this album. I do have to say my least favorite is "Practice." I think its an awkward way to end an album (if you didn't purchase the deluxe edition). "The Ride" (bonus track) would have been more suitable and "Practice" should have been offered as a bonus. Also, Birdman's contribution to "We'll Be Fine" is well... not fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Drizzy Takes Care of Business, November 15, 2011
Aubrey Drake Graham has come a long way from his acting days back on the show Degrassi, and has become one of the leading artists in Hip Hop in a such a short amount of time (3 years). Why is he so successful? Because he is Different...Not the stupid different like Lil Wayne, or over the top different like Nicki Minaj, but different because he as another talent in his arsenal which is singing. Sure Drake is not the most gifted singer but he does have an ear for melody. Drake is first and foremost a rapper but in my opinion he is more successful as a singer. "Take Care" is Drake's evolution album; Drake and his main producer Noah "40" Shebib have created a distinct mellow sound first introduced on the 2009 So Far Gone, but Drake has vastly improved and almost mastered the sound on Take Care. It is hard to describe but it is a mellow sound that is specifically designed to compliments Drake's voice and crafted so well that its hard for other people to rap/sing on. This album is a far better improvement over his debut album "Thank Me Later" released just last year, which shows how much Drake has improved as a singer, a songwriter, and an overall artist.

This entire album is very moody and almost borderline emo, but there are instances in between where Drizzy takes a break and does some fun or at least optimistic sounding songs, but it doesn't last forever. The album starts off with "Over My Dead Body" which features fellow Canadian artist Chantal Kreviazuk, which is a nice sentimental track filled with Drake's thoughts of his success as of now. It would be almost the perfect track if Drake wouldn't sound "Lil Wayne" like. The next track "Shot For Me" talks about past relationships and the first single "Headlines" capitalizes on his own fame. I have said previously that Drake sounds much better when he uses his singing voice more and the title track "Take Care" is a perfect example of what Drake is capable of. Featuring Rihanna and a nice Gil-Scott Heron sample, this is easily one of the most artistic songs on the album, even if it basically a revamped version of Jamie xx version. The most Emo song "Marvin's Room" really demonstrates Drake's storytelling ability, with the premise being a drunk despairing over a past relationship making the girl regret what she left behind. Also after the primary song has ended, listeners are treated a surprising cameo from Kendrick Lamar delivering an interesting verse. "The Real Her" which features cameos from mentor Lil Wayne and legendary Andre 3000 following the concepts from Drakes past song Houstatlantavegas where Drake once again sings beautifully on.

There are breaks from all the anguish Drake is spilling out (Thank God). Tracks such as "Make Me Proud" and "Under Ground Kings" (both produced by T-Minus) have a more light hearted sound and overall more optimistic view on Drakes part. The best song on this album is probably "Look What You've Done" which is a love letter to his mom. This is the most personal song Drake has ever made in his career and the story is very touching if you disregard the sloppy flow sounding rapping Drake does within the song. "Crew Love" which sounds more like Weeknd song more than a Drake song has one of the nicest productions on the entire album. Songs "Lord Knows" feat. Rick Ross is not bad, but it doesn't fit Drake's style very much and "The Ride" is okay but The Weeknd's voice in the backround can be tedious and somewhat annoying.

This album is far from perfect sadly. One of the main problems I have with this album is Drake's rapping, even though he has grown a little bit and sounds more confident, he is suffering from what I like to call the "Young Money Influenzza". The Young Money label in my opinion is one of the (if not THE) worst alliance in Hip Hop today. Every artist on that label (besides Drake, and maybe Nicki Minaj) are neither interesting nor talented whatsoever. Drake has obviously been influenced by Lil Wayne a lot and you can tell when he is rapping. Songs like "HYFR" also feat. Lil Wayne contains some of the ugliest flows I have ever heard from Drake and this goes the same for "We'll Be Fine" feat. Birdman and "Cameras/Good Ones Go interlude" which suffer from terrible lyrics. Drake saves himself on such tracks when he is singing on the hook, but besides that the lyrics on these songs are terrible typical Cash Money Bulls***. Another problem I have is sometimes Drake delves too deep in his own despair that it winds up soundling like emo whinning bull crap. "Doing It Wrong" is a perfect example of an annoying song that I can't take much of, even the harmonica supplied by the legendary Stevie Wonder can't make it barable. The song "Practice" is a ballad remake of Juvenile's booty classic "Back That Azz Up". Making an R&B song out of a song mainly about a girls behind already sounds bad in concept. The song sounds ok melody wise but knowing that the song is an attempt to revive the golden days of Cash Money, it just ends up being corny.

With that said, Take Care is a great sophomore album from Drake. While not perfect, this is not like any other Hip Hop album out this year, this is an album by an honest man letting the world know his own personal thoughts and problems. This album already exceeds "Thank Me Later" and is 10x better then the stupid Tha Carter IV (completely overrated) but Drake still has a long way to go as an artist, and an even longer way to go as a real MC, but regardless "Take Care" is one of the best albums of 2011.

Top Tracks:
Take Care (feat. Rihanna)
Look What You've Done
The Real Her (feat. Lil Wayne & Andre 3000)
Marvins Room/Buried Alive interlude (feat. Kendrick Lamar)
Over My Dead Body (feat. Chantal Kreviazuk)
Headlines

Honorable Mention:
Under Ground Kings
Make Me Proud
Crew Love

5.0 out of 5 stars A Deeper Drake, November 15, 2011
I gave this one 5 stars because I know how long it took for Drake to grow on me. Track 15 is by far Drake at his deepest when he talks about his mother and what they went through before he finally got noticed. As for track one, one of the best opening tracks I've heard on an album in recent years. Yes, Drake talked about sex and money on this album, but at the same time, he also showed how he can stand on his own a little bit(lyrically) without sounding like Weezy so much.For example, the track where he portrays a guy who lets the alcohol allow him feed "Hail Mary" (4th Down) caliber lines to his ex. Now a lot of brothers wouldn't go as far as Drake did on this track when it comes to realizing what you had when it's gone. That's why I had to tip my hat to Drake, because he verbally went in on a level that most ex-boyfriends at fault would be too prideful to reach in real life. So to sum it up, for a guy who is still not a die-hard Drake fan, he did indeed "Take Care" of this album's material. And that's where I was impressed. Take care...

5.0 out of 5 stars This is how u Take Care of business, November 20, 2011
LEEZY BABY (OMAHA, NEBRASKA) - See all my reviews
classic album. I never was a really big Drake fan. This album definately made me respect him more as a r & b singer as well as a rapper. U u can hear and see the growth in his music. Its one of those cd's that you can listen to from start to finish. its been playing all week in my car and I have no plans on taking it out anytime soon!

Favorite tracks: runner ups:
over my dead body shot for me
crew Love lord knows
the real her
look what u done
practice
ride

1.0 out of 5 stars Hip-Hop keeps getting softer and wimpier by the minute!, December 16, 2011
It's funny how much crap hip-hop has become. At first I hated Puffy, then comes Hot Boys, making Puffy look good, then comes 50 cent, making Hot Boys look good, then comes the Ying-Yang Twins and Lil' John making 50 look good, then comes, Lil' Brain, I mean Lil' Wayne, making them guys look good. Now we have Drake, a joke of a rapper,making all them losers look good. I swear, just when you think Rap can't get any worse it does!!! It's so sad it's funny!! Hip-Hop is dead! Hip-Hop today is for pretty boy wimps. It isn't hardcore no more!!! When I think of Drake and his form of "rap" I think of brain dead little punks who would get their faces cracked by REAL Hip-Hoppers like NWA and Wu-tang!! Keep it coming! I love seeing these degenerate losers thinking this is hardcore! Man, the rappers in my neighborhood would rip this guy an new one any day!! Drake would be nothing without the promotion of his label. This whole album sounds like some idiot TRYING to sing in the shower! I got nothing against rappers singing, BONE THUGS anyone? They were awesome but this guy sounds like he recorded this whole album in his PJ's, laying on his bed, half asleep. You want real hip-hop? Peep Rakim, Canibus, Ras Kass, Tupac, anything before 1998. WU-TANG FOREVER, SUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can honestly be called an epic. Not without its flaws, but all in all, a truly ambitious and absorbing listen, November 19, 2011
Take Care represents a huge step up for Drake in many categories. Thank Me Later was a decent first effort (first effort meaning first full-length LP, I know he released So Far Gone first) but it was also very disjointed and lacked direction. Take Care is Drake finding that direction and making a CD that definitely sounds like the CD he wanted to make with no concessions.

This is an ambitious project; clocking in at just under 80 minutes, it's mere seconds from being too big to fit on a disc; with 17 complete tracks and featuring interludes and even some poetry between them, this is an album that needs to be listened to the entire way through, and in order, as listening to a few songs just doesn't do it justice. 40 produced most of it, and the CD carries the same dreamy and ambient sound that was featured in Thank Me Later, but to a much larger extent. That's not to say it's all slow; the songs in the middle of the CD pack a real punch and have more energy than anything on his last effort.

Take Care seems almost divided into different acts. Act 1 lasts from the 1st track to Marvin's Room, and it favors soft production and a slow, relaxed atmosphere, mixing singing and rapping. Marvin's Room ends with an interlude featuring a sick rap verse by Kendrick Lamar, and that signals the start of Act 2, which is punch-you-in-the-face hip hop production and energetic rap. The next songs feature minimal singing, and are very rap-driven. Drake's flow has improved significantly from his last CD, and he demonstrates that very well here. Lyrically I wouldn't say he's grown as much as I'd hoped he would, but he still gets in some great lines. This leads to the Good Ones Go interlude at the end of Cameras, and this signals the start of what I call Act 3, home to the slower R&B-sounding songs. Doing it Wrong is the only song on the album without any rapping, though it has a great Stevie Wonder guest appearance as he plays the song out with the harmonica. This is followed by another song where Drake sings, not raps, though Lil Wayne and Andre 3000 do provide the rap honors.

The "act" structure seems to end there, though. The next song is one of the most interesting in the album; it's called Look What You've Done, and it sees a return to straight up rap, with Drake expressing to his mother and to his uncle how much they meant to him. He raps over a catchy piano melody instead of a beat, and it ends with an answering machine message from his grandma, and it's during this type of song that I realized that, damn, this guy's really doing something different here.

With the exception of the totally unnecessary Juvenile remake, (Practice) the CD ends on a high note with HYFR and a great final track called The Ride.

I can't express enough how excellent the production is here; the whole album has a "feeling" and it definitely pulls you into it. Lord Knows is another song that just doesn't sound like anything else I've heard before, and Underground Kings is just awesome.

It's a great listen all in all, and it balances hip hop and R&B much better than on Thank Me Later. If there's one complaint, I wish Drake would lose the R&B stuff entirely; Shot for Me and Practice are 2 straight R&B tracks that just really slow the album and stand out, not in a great way. Drake the singer is just not nearly as interesting as Drake the rapper and he's much cornier. Similarly, the CD hits a little bit of a road bump in Act 3 with the 2 slow songs in a row; I feel like just one would have kept the CD flowing much better. And as I hinted at earlier, I feel like lyrically Drake should maybe be searching for new subject matter, but these complaints don't stop what ends up being a great CD.

Here's the thing; if you listen to this expecting a straight up hip hop record, you'll be disappointed; Drake obviously has no intention of doing that. There's a lot of hip hop on here and some of it's pretty awesome, but Take Care is a ride, all about mood, and not all of it is achieved through rapping. And you're meant to go along for it. Pop the CD in with an open mind and you'll appreciate what Drake was trying to create. And it's pretty incredible how successful he was with it. Unless Eminem releases a surprise CD this year, I can't see what's going to stop Drake from getting a Grammy for this one.

Rate and Discover Movies