Published on January 23, 2007 by bezoarrn

2.0 out of 5 stars Only Partially Impressed
Published on July 1, 2007 by Travellini

5.0 out of 5 stars OK people - if you love snacks, leftovers or are in a hurry, this is for you!, January 23, 2007
This review is from: Deluxe GT Xpress 101
Let me start by saying I don't care what anyone says about these gadgets - I LOVE MINE. I've read all the comments for this size and the little one, and thank goodness I ignored the bad ones. I've been using this like crazy since I got it - almost every single day - and the possibilities are endless. I don't like everything I've made, but experimenting is half the fun! Just grab a tortilla, bisquick mix, cake mix, pancake mix, rolls, bread, cornbread mix, muffin mix, pitas, english muffins, frozen bread dough (great pizza cups) - what EVER - and add anything you have in the fridge. Just like the infomercial says. It really works. Change up the sauces and spices you use for variety.

I've done the little omelet combos, made burritos, mini quesadillas, corn dogs, corn bread, pigs in a blanket, cinnamon rolls, stuffed chicken, stuffed steak, and even pineapple upside down cakes. I've poached eggs, scrambled eggs, made mcmuffin style goodies, low carb muffins, regular muffins, pizza cups, BBQ chicken cups, I could go on and on. I've only had one unsuccessful dish - BBQ ham biscuits. For some reason, the biscuits burned on the outside and were dough on the inside.

Here are some tips I've learned:

1. make sure you really fill the pockets if you want the tops to brown

6. American cheese slices will melt away so add them at the end

7. use grated cheese for best results

8. LET THE UNIT HEAT UP COMPLETELY BEFORE USING IT

9. let it cool a little then wipe down carefully while still warm

10. DRAIN all the EXTRA LIQUID from your foods before using them (very important - squeeze it out if you can)

11. pepperoni gives off a lot of grease along with cheese if you are making pizza cups - don't over do it and be prepared to wipe up the overflow if you do

12. experiment with the time to get the right results. Most of my food cooks in 8 to 10 minutes or like the booklet says. Some things I leave in a little longer.

13. a little water addded to the hot cooking chambers to sit after making something gooey will make cleaning A LOT easier.

This unit is easy to clean, heats up great, and makes enough for 3 or four people. It is large but stores easily on its side. I can bake an entire 2 layer cake mix in 2 sessions (20-25 minutes). What I really like the most is that I don't use the oil I normally would for many items, like quesadillas, eggs, etc. They still come out crispy and flaky - better tasting in my opinion. I also like the portion control you get. I get 16 servings with the pineapple upside down cake I make (melt a little butter in each chamber, add some brown sugar, some squeezed out crushed pineapple, and then the batter from a full sized box of pineapple flavored cake mix prepared according to the box (I use Duncan Hines). I make 8 cake pockets and cut them in half. Yummy!

The vendor delivered fast and the package was in great shape. I miss not getting the little fold over turnover thingie like the smaller unit had, but not THAT much. The spatula is fine for me. I use other plastic utensils when I need to. No big deal. I'd buy this thing all over again. I hope this helps people get past any indecision they may have.

4.0 out of 5 stars GT Express 101 Deluxe, November 19, 2006
This review is from: Deluxe GT Xpress 101
I am happy I purchased the deluxe model with its 4 cooking chambers than the basic unit with only 2. I can cook a whole package of cinnamon rolls for example at one time. The rolls come 8 to a package and fit per perfect for 2 to a cooking well.

My only complaint is the cleanup is not as good as advertised. I used cherry pie filling for one recipe and the syrup stuck to the surface. it took some effort to finally clean the surface. I noticed the recipes call for using cooking spray to minimize sticking. I definitely recommend using it.

Overall, it is a great tool for making quick meals and snacks.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only Partially Impressed, July 1, 2007
This review is from: Deluxe GT Xpress 101
COOKING QUALITY: Some reviews talk about their unit cooking slowly and everything being soggy - this is not at all my experience - my unit cooks quickly as indicated - 3-10 minutes depending on the recipe item. I have made several things that brown nicely or are crispy on the outside. So far, no need to adjust temperature. From the review I read, it seems there's the potential for getting a real lemon in the deal.

CLEANING: I must remember to use LOTS of no-stick spray(yuck) for brownie batters or omelets, etc. The unit is BEST used for flour tortilla wraps or baked chicken, but then you need that no-stick spray - LOTS OF paper towels and it takes longer to clean than to cook. Only about 5 meals and the teflon coating is beginning to flake off - and no, I've not used a metal pointy object at any time to remove my meal or to clean the unit.

I haven't used the second unit yet because I was going to give it to a friend, but if the teflon continues to flake off - I'm going to return the whole box and, no doubt, forfeit a great deal in shipping.

ORDERING: Expect ONLY automated "push 1 for this and 2 for that" service. I HATE THAT! The options are not quite what were indicated on the infomercial, so I ended up ordering a few things that I'd not intended. Shipping was $40 for two units. They don't tell you what total amount to expect on your credit card which is not quite nice.

RECIPE BOOKS: These are little half-size 10 page pamplets - not really very substantive, but then, the recipes give you some good ideas and it's not like I've used them all yet. The ones I've tried are really quite tasty, though.

BOTTOM LINE: If you stick to sandwich type items and things meant to be dry on the outside and steamy, hot and melted on the inside, you might be ok.

Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving the GT Xpress 101 Deluxe, January 15, 2007
This review is from: Deluxe GT Xpress 101
I absolutely love the item. I saw the infomercial for it about a year ago and my boyfriend have always wondered about the stuffed soup. I bout it for his Christmas gift and we used it that very night. The stuffed soup is amazing. Everything I make in it is amazing. We're a family on the go and I love that everything is in pocket form. That makes my life so much easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids meals, February 16, 2007
This review is from: Deluxe GT Xpress 101
I'am a stay-at-home dad, and the gt express is great for fixing fast meals for children who can't wait to eat. From organic egg omelets to ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch. The best thing is the food does not stick to the surfast, so clean up is super fast, no dishes to wash!! It heats up quickly and does not burn or overcook. Would definitly reckamend to my friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Friend loves it, January 13, 2007
This review is from: Deluxe GT Xpress 101
I got this for a friend for Christmas and she LOVES it. She uses it daily and makes perfect portions for her and her fiance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chef's review Deluxe GT Xpress 101, February 16, 2009
This review is from: Deluxe GT Xpress 101
This item is an excellent way to add some variety to your menu with a little creativity.
The main advantage is 4 separate places to cook this allows you to make 4 different items.
It takes some practice to not over fill.
An excellent portion reducer, while allowing for full flavor.
The variety of items you can cook is what makes this so easy and fun to cook with.
Sandwich pockets can be made with any variety of your choice.
Use bread Dough and make an Italian Style Calzone originally these were make with cut pieces from the ends of cold cuts from the deli
You just place dough on bottom pocket fill with cheese meat & little pasta sauce, place another piece of dough on top let it cook until golden brown and you got a tasty meal.

A calzone (Italian "stocking" or "trouser" or "drooping sack" or "hanging fold"[1]), sometimes referred to as an italian sac, is an Italian turnover made from pizza dough and stuffed with cheese (usually mozzarella cheese and...

Good way to have leftovers also
The 4 separate grill areas allow you to cook almost any 4 different items at the same time

3.0 out of 5 stars Neat Appliance, January 18, 2008
This review is from: Deluxe GT Xpress 101
I recieved this as a gift and overall it has worked pretty well, not as easy as the infomercial makes it seem, but nothing ever is.

2.0 out of 5 stars I bought it and it just collected dust, January 13, 2014
Kimichanga (northern central CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deluxe GT Xpress 101
I cannot say whether this works or not cuz I just gave it away and never used it....it seemed more of a hassle to clean then if you were to just use your normal pots and pans and oven for cooking. I guess this would be for those that don't use cooking as a hobby or do not enjoy cooking OR if you lived in a dormitory with no oven and stovetop.

Deluxe GT Xpress 101