5.0 out of 5 stars Abraxas
Demian, is a book about the growth of an individual,
a story about a boy becoming an adult.
Demian offers a poignant statement of the terrors and torments of adolescence.

Published 6 months ago by Haidji

3.0 out of 5 stars Always read the fine print
Published 23 months ago by linda v.

5.0 out of 5 stars Abraxas, May 26, 2014
Demian, is a book about the growth of an individual,
a story about a boy becoming an adult.
Demian offers a poignant statement of the terrors and torments of adolescence.

"Now everything changed. My childhood world was breaking apart around me. My parents eyed me with a certain embarrassment. My sisters had become strangers to me. A disenchantment falsified and blunted my usual feelings and joys: the garden lacked fragrance, the woods held no attraction for me, the world stood around me like a clearance sale of last year's secondhand goods, insipid, all its charm gone. Books were so much paper, music a grating noise. That is the way leaves fall around a tree in autumn, a tree unaware of the rain running down its sides, of the sun or the frost, and of life gradually retreating inward. The tree does not die. It waits." _ Hermann Hesse

One of the major themes is the existence of opposing forces (good and evil) and the idea that both are necessary using the God Abraxas as a Symbol through the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Read, great condition, May 2, 2014
This review is from: Demian: The Story of a Youth (Paperback)
I purchased this specific copy for the cover artwork. That being said, I have yet to finish the book, I am about half-way through, but I do love it. It's my first Hesse read, and it does make me want to read more of his work. The book was in pristine condition and its easy for reading with generous line spacing and font size. It shipped quicker than it said so that was a plus!

3.0 out of 5 stars Always read the fine print, December 25, 2012
This review is from: Demian: The Story of a Youth (Paperback)
I absolutely love this novel and thought this new edition and cover illustration was very interesting. However, being overly excited, I skimmed over the dimensions of the book and was disappointed to find out that the novel was larger than I liked (I prefer smaller books that I can easily hold in my hands). It is 6 inches by 9 inches, which is larger than half a piece of computer printing paper. I guess that was my fault, but there really is a lot of empty space (large margins, small/average text size) on the pages inside, which I found was counter intuitive to the book's size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, March 3, 2013
This review is from: Demian: The Story of a Youth (Paperback)
I needed this book for English class, I'll admit I was quite a bit worried if it was abridged or not but once I received, the text didn't take out anything important, I was relieved.
Aside its a quite a big book its the perfect size to carry it everywhere you go!

Demian: The Story of a Youth
Demian: The Story of a Youth by Hermann Hesse (Paperback - May 18, 2011)
$6.95