Customer Discussions > PS3 God of War: Ascension forum

Demo Impressions?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 27, 2013 9:44:08 AM PST
Matt Burcke says:
What did everyone think? I downloaded it last night and played through it. I liked it a lot but definitely more of the same. Some of the scenes were tough to play through when your character is so freaking small on screen. (If you haven't played the demo, you won't understand ...). The game felt re-skinned from GoW 3 IMO which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 3:00:44 PM PST
C. D. Murray says:
Ya I just played through it myself. I have the game pre ordered, it's one I will get but it's not a must own for me, I got some credit on Amazon so pre ordered. Have loved GoW 1-3 but never bothered with the PSP versions. The demo didn't wow me at all, graphics are still good, lots of action, over the top boss fights. But nothing really jumped out at me. You don't have many combos unlocked in the demo and the sword didn't really add anything I thought to the combat but I am sure there will be some better weapons in the full game.

I do know what you meant about losing your character on screen sometimes, there was two times during different boss fights where for a second I was unsure of where Kratos was on screen, but wasn't a huge problem atleast in the demo. Unless the multiplayer is a ton of fun I imagine I will get the game, beat if a few times and trade it back in for credit in a few months. I am sure it will more than likely be a good game but was pretty underwhelmed with the demo.

The best thing I can say about the demo is the interactive part. By this I mean it has promo videos and cinematics, I think a behind the scenes and a bunch of videos on that History Channel Vikings show. The interactive demo is a cool idea, even though I only watched one of the videos myself.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 11:37:52 AM PST
I played the demo that came with Total Recall and this one and enjoyed them both. I am a die hard God of War fan even though I will admit they are the same over and over for the most part. I have completed them all multiple times (PSP and mobile game included) and I am really looking forward to the 12th. Got the collector's edition pre-ordered so I can get the future DLC included.... hopefully the MP is fun (it is the one demo/beta I didn't play from the game).

I do get what you mean about Kratos getting lost. I play on a 70 inch Sharp and on the part where you are being twisted in the broken part of the building even I got lost sometimes when a bunch of badies were in there with you.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 7:10:32 AM PST
E. Greenham says:
I definitely agree with what a lot of you are saying here. Overall I don't feel like it was the demo it needed to be because it isn't going to really make people WANT to buy the game. What this demo showed was that it is same old same old. But if you read some of the features on IGN (or other web sites like it), apparently they've added in some things to the mechanics here and there.

One thing that did pop out at me as smart was the "rage meter" they've added. I like how it actually adds incentive to keep combos going. Before the only real motivation there was "just cause" or for trophies. So that was smart.

I really hope the story of this one is more grounded than the last two more than anything though. Kratos felt somewhat sympathetic and human in the first game and then kind of went off the rails in two and three. Over all though it should be a good time! Tearing people in half never gets old.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 6:03:59 PM PST
JohnB says:
The MP beta was meh to begin with so I was hoping the single player demo would change that. It's pretty great except I couldn't keep track of him during the boss fight. He either blended in too well or too many flashing lights. Not worth a preorder if it's going to follow the same trend as dead space 3 and halo 4 and be $40 in a month.

That "rage meter" mechanic was in God of War 3 greenham. Though they called it "Rage of the god's" and you needed it on hard mode of god of war 3.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 8:46:27 PM PST
Y. Navas says:
it was sooooooooooooo sweet

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 4:38:47 PM PST
Why isn't anyone just welmed?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 4:41:25 PM PST
70 inches?!? Holy crap that's huge! I know someone's ego is pretty big...

;)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2013 4:43:56 PM PST
$40 a month for what?

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 6:31:46 PM PST
E. Greenham says:
JohnB - Yeah I know about the rage of the "gods"/"titans"/";spartans" mechanics from the past but none of those were implemented like the "rage meter" in ascension. In those it was a toggle that lasted for a set limit of time (and would only last that long). With "rage meter", it isn't a toggle and it lasts for as long as you are able to keep the combo up. So while I agree they had a similar mechanic in previous games, this one has been implemented differently. I do, however, agree that this game is not worth a pre-order by any stretch. For 60 dollars I'm going to wait and see how things go.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 9:19:48 AM PST
I did the preorder at Best Buy as an unlocked member so I get a twenty dollar reward zone certificate with it. Definietly worth it because of that in my mind.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 6:30:17 PM PDT
Y. Navas says:
JohnB - Yeah I know about the rage of the "gods"/"titans"/";;spartans" mechanics from the past but none of those were implemented like the "rage meter" in ascension. In those it was a toggle that lasted for a set limit of time (and would only last that long). With "rage meter", it isn't a toggle and it lasts for as long as you are able to keep the combo up. So while I agree they had a similar mechanic in previous games, this one has been implemented differently. I do, however, agree that this game is not worth a pre-order by any stretch. For 60 dollars I'm going to wait and see how things go.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 10:41:14 AM PDT
Key says:
Feeling same here!! I am big fan for God of War.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 11:06:17 AM PDT
Y. Navas says:
me tooo

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 12:36:40 PM PDT
NCGuy says:
Maybe pick is up for 19.95 in a few months.

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 2:19:31 PM PDT
EpsilonX says:
I played it for a bit but I was really bored. It's basically the same thing that we've seen in every other god of war game so far, and none of them have really excited me that much. Uninstalled the demo before I even finished it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Feb 27, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
PS3 God of War: Ascension
PS3 God of War: Ascension by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (491)