5.0 out of 5 stars Oh What A Knight...
Published on August 3, 2012 by Anarchy in the US

2.0 out of 5 stars Had promise, fizzled.
Published on August 25, 2012 by swolsen1985

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh What A Knight..., August 3, 2012
Demon Knights is one of those oddball titles that's part of the DC New 52 that I openly admit I didn't pick up the single issues when they were coming out, but I heard praise from friends and outlets on the title. I love Etrigan/Jason Blood, the DC villain Vandal Savage and Madame Xanadu...but with so many titles coming out weekly, I couldn't afford putting Demon Knights on my weekly pull-list. So I told myself that when the title got collected into trade form, I'd give it a shot. And for it's worth, I can't wait for vol.2.

DEMON KNIGHTS VOL.1:SEVEN AGAINST THE DARK collects issues #1-7 and see's a quick introduction on Etrigan's/Jason Bloods and Xanadu's origin. Time fast forward to the Dark Ages, where Jason and Xanadu meet up at a town call Little Spring and run into two other immortals Vandal Savage and The Shining Knight, Ystina. Three other non-immortals find there way into these 4 characters by including a nomad from a far land named Al Jabr, an exiled Amazon named Exoristos, and mysterious woman simply called the Horse Woman. During this time, a war monger named the Questing Queen has her army invade the town...but that's where these unlikely beings decided to put a fight.

Paul Cornell has done some good writing since his take on Superman: The Black Ring Vol. 1 (Superman (Graphic Novels)) and it shows with these new interpretations of older characters. This new take is more action, mystic, and even humorous in tone for a group of characters of the Justice League for the Dark Ages, with a story that plays out similarly to Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai (coincidence?). Seeing Etrigan, Xanadu, Ystina, and Savage be more light-hearted (especially Savage) from their older interpretations works out really well here. It dabbles that fine line of all the elements of a team book that pays off and it's worth seeing.

The biggest impression for me is the personalities Cornell has created to make each character stand out and yet have enough room to entice readers that each character has plenty of story to tell about them down the road. Etrigan is a no-nonsense battle craving demon that enjoys the mysteries of humans, while Jason is the peace-wanting human side to offset Etrigan. Xanadu is the lynch-pin that holds everyone together and yet plays both Jason and Etrigans as lovers. Savage is not the evil warlord everyone knows, but a stout good-natured warrior who simply enjoys life (but has darker intentions). Grant Morrison's Shining Knight, Ystina returns, being a ongoing joke about being a male and/or female, while insulting people in an old Welch ascent. Then there is Al Jabr, an educated warrior from the far side of the world that has knowledge in technology. And then there's Exoritos, who is a hot tempered Amazon that's be fiddled by the world outside she thought she knew. And the mysterious Horse Woman, who is a excellent archer that is magically saddled to horses, as well as being able to talk to them. These elements make the book stand out as truly enjoyable banter amongst each other, that even if there was barely any action, I'd probably enjoy these character just talking among themselves.

The art by Diogenes Neves is incredible. I never knew of this artist until now, by he certainly has my attention. Lots of splash shots of the burning town, dragons taking on groups of horses(!), magical barriers, dinosaurs, and even a character personally taking down a triceratops are all phenomenal scenes that you have to see to believe.

Paul Cornell's DEMON KNIGHTS VOL.1 is truly one of the hidden gems of the New 52 that people might not have noticed. Unless you prefer some of the older characters being like them old selves in the old continuity, then give this a try. And the fact it's one of two titles of the entire N52 to be set outside of the rest of the current universe (it and All Star Western Vol. 1: Guns and Gotham (The New 52), you won't be bogged down by other conflicting story lines. A great start for new readers.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Justice League of The Dark Ages!, July 25, 2012
The first thing that drew me to DEMON KNIGHTS was the simple fact that it was going to be featuring Etrigan the Demon, who is one of my favorite DC anti-heroes of all time. What also drew me to this book is Paul Cornell. Admittedly, I wasn't a huge fan of his work on SUPERMAN or ACTION COMICS or whatever Superman title he did, but I am a huge fan of his Marvel work, like WISDOM and especially CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND MI-13. Doing a "team" book during The Dark Ages was also pretty appealing as well, since I could see Cornell's sense of humor translating quite well to this book.

Basically here, you have some familiar characters such as the aforementioned Etrigan/Jason Blood, who is coupled (in both of his selves) with the mysterious Madame Xanadu, the brave and androgynous Sir Ystin aka The Shining Knight, and the immortal ne'er-do-well Vandal Savage. Introduced (or at least new to me) are other interesting characters: the intelligent and technologically advanced Al Jabr, the exiled Amazonian Exoristos and the especially mysterious Horsewoman. All of these characters find themselves in a small village being watched from up on high by a pair of evil magickally-inclined rulers and they want the town for their purposes. The initial assault brings these men and women of action together and find themselves in an uneasy alliance against the attacking force.

What makes this book such an entertaining read is the characterization that Cornell gives to each member of these "knights". He has a very solid grasp on all of them and this leads to some powerful dramatic moments and moments that honestly make you laugh out loud. The art of Diogeones Neves, an artist I had never heard of before this book, is eye-poppingly fantastic. The general feel of this book is the closest I've seen a book come to the radiant and brilliant work of Gail Simone on her very-sadly cancelled SECRET SIX. It has some villains in the group, particularly Savage, that you end up rooting for, and the team dynamic is always slightly off-kilter.

Why only four stars then? The only thing that this book has working against it is that while I do love the characters of Etrigan/Jason Blood, Madame Xanadu and Al Jabr especially, some of the characters leave me a little flat. I'm sure that as this book continues, it will start to flesh out some of these characters and things will start picking up in a big way.

I have a lot of faith that DEMON KNIGHTS will continue to be an exceptionally entertaining read and will eventually get to the place that I know that Paul Cornell can take these characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars 8.5/10, March 22, 2014
This book is seriously intense and one of the fastest paced books of any kind I have ever read. I would have preferred it slowed down a bit but still it turned out great. The art is really great, not so much beautiful as gruesome. The story is just OK. The action took the majority of content in this novel.

Be warned this book is demented like Game of Thrones or Spartacus.

It's a shame DC canceled the series. They seem to be canceling everything without the core characters in it. (Batman has like 13 ongoing series right now, Batman is my favorite but come on.)

4.0 out of 5 stars My Review, February 13, 2014
Monica F (Fredericksburg, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Demon Knights Vol. 1: Seven Against the Dark (The New 52) (Kindle Edition)
The formation of the Demon Knights is chronicled here as well as their first fight together.

Artistic and heavily detailed illustrations add depth to the almost mythic narrative and varied characters. The narrative while partially starting with Camelot mythology adds other lands to the mix to add flavor. Characters while flawed are compassionate, some seek redemption, and intriguing.

Overall, a fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely better than expected, February 10, 2014
I definitely loved this book. It reads like a Dungeons and Dragons tale with plenty of Sword and sorcery and very interesitng characters. The artwork is great too.
Definitely a great read! Buy it. I'm looking forward to getting the next installment in this series.

-Vipul.

4.0 out of 5 stars Devilishly good fun, September 24, 2012
Set in the Dark Ages, a small group of extraordinary strangers happen to be in the same village at the same time when a hostile invading force attacks. Throwing up a magical shield, the Seven along with the villagers must find a way of defeating the siege and stopping the evil from overwhelming them.

Introducing Jason Blood and the demon Etrigan, magical Madame Xanadu, ruthless but charming rogue warrior Vandal Savage, "giantess" amazon Exoristos, a crippled expert archer who rides a horse known only as the Horsewoman, the androgynous swords(wo)man(?) Shining Knight, and eastern scientist engineer Al Jabr, these seven will become the Demon Knights fulfilling a prophecy made by the mysterious Merlin as they rage against the Dark.

The New 52 goes all Dungeons and Dragons-y with this fantasy series full of dragons, magic, demons, and intricately moulded female armour, and it's actually really good. I recognised a couple of characters, Jason Blood/Etrigan who has made a few appearances in Batman, and Shining Knight who was in Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers of Victory series, but the others are new and interesting too - Vandal Savage especially for his double dealing ways. It was interesting to see Etrigan have a romantic side; up to now I've seen him as a psychopath only, here he's almost likeable.

Paul Cornell writes a pretty straightforward but hugely entertaining first book that does a fine job of setting up the characters and the beginnings of a complicated quest storyline that'll go beyond this book to the next few volumes. Well drawn and full of action, if you like fantasy and want to try something different from the New 52 lineup of superhero books, DC offer an excellent book in "Demon Knights".

5.0 out of 5 stars A new take on Etrigan? Sign me up!, July 28, 2012
Of all the books to come out in DC's New 52, Demon Knights was one of the ones that I really looked forward to. I've always loved just about everything involving Etrigan the Demon, and Demon Knights is no exception. Basically what amounts to being a Justice League of the Dark Ages, this first collected volume of Demon Knights follows the cursed Jason Blood, stricken with being bonded with the demonic Etrigan, and his lover Madame Xandau as they come across all things evil, demonic, and wicked in the process. Along the way we're treated to a new take on the Shining Knight, along with appearances from old and new faces alike, particularly the immortal Vandal Savage. Written by Paul Cornell (Stormwatch, Action Comics), Demon Knights is a fast-paced and bloody blast that is wholeheartedly worth your time, and one of the best books of the New 52 launch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gritty Dark Ages Fantasy, August 26, 2012
Timothy C Allison (Louisville, KY United States) - See all my reviews
In the midst of the Dark Ages, seven strangers are forced to work together to defend a village from an advancing army. Of course, since this is a DC comic, & a supernatural one at that, the strangers are more than perhaps meets the eye. We have a demon, a sorceress, an amazon, an immortal, & several others who are more than normal humans.

Demon Knights gives Cornell an opportunity to play with a variety of comic & fantasy tropes. Our protagonists are more grey hats than white hats, each working for his or her own motivation, which are not necessarily for the greater good. The villains of the piece do not have the same subtlety. They are pure black hats, willing to pillage & kill for their own gain.

While not as grim or nihilistic as some modern age comics, Dark Knights does feature quite a bit of graphic violence. Our Dark Age protagonists do not have any Silver Age prohibitions about killing, & often this is depicted in graphic ways.

If one goal of the "New 52" was to make DC's titles more accessible to new readers, then Demon Knights has succeeded admirably. Cornell balances information and mystery well, giving enough information to allow for characterization, yet allowing for questions yet to be answered. Additionally, as a standalone piece, this first volume works well as a complete story arc.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best comic from the New 52, July 19, 2012
This comic is what the new 52 should be. Creative and fun. The story of 7 misfits coming together to save a small town from a horde of murderers is a great story and should be required reading for the New 52. Buy this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Had promise, fizzled., August 25, 2012
To put it simply, this comic had me intrigued when I first read about it. The idea of a demon knight in a medieval fantasy world with Merlin really appealed to me. I gave it a shot. I was sadly disappointed. The art was awesome, but the story was really sub-par as you don't understand what the hell is going on until half-way through the paperback. I'm glad I read it. I suggest giving it a try as it might be up your alley, but it just wasn't for me.