on June 3, 2011
Ms. King's debut novel had me from the start. Her characters drew me in and I was unable to put the book down, er, turn off my computer. The storyline, that of a teen conflicted, is certainly a familiar one, and when I noted the addition of the supernatural element, I thought I had the plot already figured out. However, after the first chapter, I stood corrected. The world Ms. King constructs is a different one that engaged my brain and imagination, and that is just where Ms. King's novel takes off.

Liora Greyson is a high school senior who has a witch for a guardian and a demon sharing her body. Not a demon as in an "I'm going to take you and eat you", but as in her demon is a fractured part of her and she cannot live without it. Liora controls their shared body during the daytime and Lucky, her demon counterpart, has the night.

The two have different lives in entirely different worlds, literally. It isn't until the world of the supernatural bleeds over into the realm of the humans, or Sapies as Lucky calls them, that the fragile truce between Liora and Lucky is threatened.

I would highly recommend this book for anyone over the age of 13. There is no overly foul language beyond a few minor curses and no graphic sexuality although there are some undercurrents (Lucky's friend is half incubus so he does tend to go off searching for virgins). It's a great read and it has left me ready for book 2. -- Heather Savage, Staccato Publishing
on June 23, 2012
I received a complimentary copy of A Demon Made Me Do It in exchange for my review. All opinions are my own and have not been influenced by an outside source.

Even though this book is totally out of my comfort zone, it appealed to me anyway. I am so glad that I read it as it truly was a very intriguing book whose sequel I am anxiously awaiting to read.

I loved the how nearly every other chapter was from either Lucky or Liora's point of view. Some chapters was both of them. I loved their dynamic, even if they pretty much hated each other. I loved Bones. I loved Kiernon...but if I had to choose a team to be on, it'd be Team Kiernon all the way.

Sorry, Bones!

I loved how parts that could have been written in such vivid gory detail weren't, which made me happy that I'd decided to step outside of my comfort zone again and again.

I just plain loved everything about this book. I can't wait to read the sequel. I want to know more about everyone!

I guess if I had to come up with a negative, it would be that I didn't totally understand what happened to Liora//Lucky. But really? That's not a negative...if anything I hope more detail is given to their back story!
on May 29, 2012
I received a copy of this through the Read it and Reap program on Goodreads, so again thanks to the author and the mods for making this available. This is the second book I have had the opportunity to review from Penelope King and I really enjoyed the first one so I was really looking forward to this one. Truthfully, I found it painfully hard to get into. Liora/Lucky used to be one person and a curse has split them into two people sharing on body, Liora by day and Lucky by night with neither really aware of what the other is doing. Liora is your typical teen full of angst and Lucky was the opposite she kicked ass and hung out in a demon bar.

The problem I had with the book was each chapter alternated between Lucky and Liora and honestly I couldn't stand either character after awhile. Liora had way too much teenage angst for my taste she only wore black, didn't really have any friends until Kieron came along, and I will get to that in a minute that's a whole other level of creepy, for all her lack of friends and solitude she really didn't do anything interesting but whine "why can't I just be normal". Lucky was just as irritating only in the completely opposite way. Someone hurt her friends so she was going to kill them and kick the ass of everything between her and her goal. Again kinda cliche.

Now we have Kieron whose presence gives us not one but two love triangles...sigh. First Kieron is attracted to both Lucky and Liora and manages to spend all day with one and all night with the other...does this guy ever sleep? Then there is Lucky/Bones/Kieron, where Lucky and Bones have been friends forever and she loves him but they can't be together because of his nature. There is also this murder mystery running in the background of both Lucky and Liora that should have gotten more focus in the book and would have made it far more interesting to read, but hey that's just my opinion.

The book wasn't exactly badly written no glaring grammar or spelling issues it just didn't work for me. It has been highly rated on GR and Amazon. So if you think it might be your cup of tea give it a try it just wasn't mine. I highly doubt I will pick up any others in the series though.

2/5 Not really my thing.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I got this free so I wasn't expecting much but I was so wrong. This book was wonderful. I would have been happy to pay for it because the author knows how to write and how to take a concept, build on it, twist it a little and give the reader a connection that binds them so that knowing where it will all go is a desired outcome. Yes, we get sucked in and we love it. Lucky and Loira are captivating and the relationship with Kieron fascinating although my heart is constantly pulled towards Bones. This is a brilliant series and I can't wait to read the next one. Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!
on April 25, 2015
I REALLY like this book!! I think Ms. King did an incredible job with this story, and I do have to say that I cannot wait to read into this series further. We learn about Liora, who is a pretty sad, lonely person. She is cursed to be separated from her demon-side. Human by day; demon by night. On the flip side there is Lucky, Liora's demon. She is dead-set on dissing out justice to any and all she sees fit to somehow get revenge for her beloved friends. Soon a new guy rolls into town who isn't all who he seems to be, Keiron. He is too dang hot for his own good. Also, Lucky's friend, Bones, isn't so bad himself with his seductive ways. We always hear about angel stories, well now there's a new story about demons which I like almost better than all the angel ones combined!! This book ends on such a cliffhanger, though!!! I do understand the need to get people interested in the next book, but I absolutely hate having to wait to get the next book because I'm going to read it anyways!! I do NOT enjoy being left hanging. I high recommend this book to the YA crowd and those of you, who like me, are interested in the good AND bad paranormal creatures hatched out of imaginative minds!!!
on December 18, 2011
This book is truly AMAZING! It is a twist of good/evil wrapped up in one! Penelope Kings makes a believable world of demons and humans that I would love to live in. I was hooked by page one and couldn't stop turning till the end. This series is something new and original!

Liora Greyson is sort of an outkast at her school, She likes to keep to herself because her life is anything but normal, by night she shares a body with a demon slaying Hot babe named "Lucky." Why? Because Lucky is out for blood for the killers who murdered her friends and also the demons that caused Liora's "Soul" to split in half into two; Liora not having any idea on whats happening in the demon world meets a guy named Kieron who is new in town and starts to hit it off with him and everything seems good. Liora's not the only one having the hots for a guy becuase someone shows up too in the demon world who happens to save Lucky's life, who is this mysterious guy and why does he seem so anxious to know so much about her? I don't know, you guys just have to find out and see!
on August 2, 2011
I'm really not much of a demonic/supernatural YA type of reader, but this book came recommended. I really enjoyed the characters, and the dialogue was a lot of fun. Plus, I'm a sucker for any new series, and this is a great start.

I really liked Liora as a character, she's spunky and keeps you wanting to turn the page. The demonic characters felt fleshed out and, pardon the pun, I felt a bit of sympathy for the devil.

Definitely would recommend this book, especially if you're into Young Adult or Supernatural. Really can't wait for Book 2.
on July 23, 2014
This book deserves five stars for originality, along with quality writing. The characters are well thought out, and interact with each other in just the right way. I'd recommend this book to anyone who likes reading about the supernatural with a touch (or more) of romance. It was a great read! I will definitely finish the series. Now, I'm off to read Fire With Fire!
on February 2, 2014
I don't usually have any interest in novels about demons, or even vampires. However, for some reason this book got my attention.

It took 3 or 4 chapters for me to figure out just what was going on. Even so, there was something about the writing that kept me persevering. The two main characters alternated chapters and it gradually became clear that they were two aspects of the same person -- not dual personalities, rather dual creatures in the same/almost same body. Sounds confusing but it works! You have to read the book to truly get a feeling for what's really going on, and, by then, you'll probably be hooked, too.

While I'm not 'dying' for the next volume, it's likely that I'll soon get it just out of curiosity as to how the threads continue to develop.

The demonic characters were crafted more fully in this first book than were the humans, but that may have just been because they were the most alien to the human readers. I suspect a bit more attention will soon be paid to the humans in the series. I think some character-development prose was left out in the interest of keeping up the pace of the story.

It's necessary for me to state that the various demons and demion (half human/half demon) aren't at all the all-too-typical evil, human-hating, human-killing/eating varieties so often encountered. They have their own society with its own rules and boundaries existing partially in parallel to, and partially connected with, the world we know.

Take a look, and use a bit of patience to get into the book's rhythm. Just maybe you'll enjoy it, too.
on December 24, 2013
I really like this book. It makes you think in ways you haven't before, and really intrigues your interest about the underworld. I plan on coming back to this book and read it again. I look forward to the next book in the series.