5.0 out of 5 stars So many FEELS!!!
While reading Demons and Other Inconveniences by Dan Dillard, a few of the thoughts that ran through my mind were as follows:

- How did he do that? (awe)
- Why did he do that? (silently sobbing)
- Wow.
- He's my new best friend.
- Curse you Dan Dillard!!!
- Did I lock the front door?
- I need a brighter night light.
-...
Published on June 22, 2012 by Blu

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK.
I was't too impressed with this book. Some stories were really good. Others, I just couldn't wait to end. Most of them are very short and easy to read.
Published 4 days ago by mcr

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars So many FEELS!!!, June 22, 2012

- How did he do that? (awe)
- Why did he do that? (silently sobbing)
- Wow.
- He's my new best friend.
- Curse you Dan Dillard!!!
- Did I lock the front door?
- I need a brighter night light.
- Just...wow.
- This man is either brilliant in his writing or one of the most creatively gifted psychopaths I know.
- What's the balance in my checking account? I must purchase everything he's written!
- What's the balance in the childrens' college fund? I must purchase everything he's written!
- SO MANY FEELS!!!
- Would it be blasphemy to call him the god (little g) of horror for the new millennia?

Seriously folks, I battled back and forth between giving this book a rating of 4.5 and a 5 because this would be the second rating of 5 I've given a book in a limited number of reviews and I didn't want to be thought of as the reviewer who hands out 5's like Ritalin in a class of first-graders the day after Halloween. Yet to give this masterpiece anything less than a 5 would be doing it, the author, and me as a reviewer and book fan-atic a huge injustice. The only negative thing I could point out about this book is the hideous cover which might have prevented me from reading this book under different circumstances. Hopefully others will stick to the old adage of "don't judge a book by its cover" and snatch up a copy of Demons and Other Inconveniences.

When reviewing anthologies, I like to give each story its own rating with a rating of five stars being ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT, 3 stars being Meh, It Was Okay and 1 star being Could Have Went Without Reading. My rating for the stories included in Demons and Other
Inconveniences are as follows:

Rolling Meadows - 5 (I adored the main character in this story and found myself amazed at how Dan Dillard could create characters that you feel like you knew or wanted to know. A great story that takes place in a setting you don't read about often in horror - a retirement home.)

Pig Man - 4 (The title alone gave me the creeps. After viewing the original Amityville horror, I have a thing with pig sightings of any kind. This story reiterates why.)

Confessions - 5 (Every mother's worse nightmare.)

The Trash Menagerie - 3.5 (I would say this was the weakest story in the collection. Yet even Dillard's "bad" is good.)

Infestation of the Third Kind - 5 (This story deserved more than a rating of 5! It went above and beyond! Seriously! Sci-fi has to be one of my least favorite genres but this post-apocalyptic tale with a sci-fi twist was genius! I did not want it to end and have considered contacting the author to politely request, beg, or subtly demand he turn this short into a full-length novel!)

IndiviDUALITY - 4 (I actually liked the protagonist in this story. His views on individuality, religion, society, etc. gave one food for thoughts and I even found myself nodding in agreement from time to time. Too bad he was a homicidal maniac.)

Anticipation - 4.5 (Wow! I did not see that one coming!)

Geometry - 3.5 (I enjoyed this story yet wish there was a definite conclusion. I suppose that was the entire point of this tale, however.)

Ingrate - 4 (I knew there was a reason I didn't care much for dogs.)

Amber Alert - 5 (Chilling story. Word of warning to fellow `carnivores' - don't read this while eating.)

My Mind's Eye - 4.5 (Admittedly, I first thought this to be the least favorite story in the collection and was tempted to skim through it but am so glad I did not. Once my mind wrapped around what this story was about and realized the truth of it, by its conclusion - I was shook up for a few minutes. Brilliantly executed.)

The Wrong Place - 4 (Ha! Unique twist to what I believed to be a predictable story.)

Never Judge a Book - 5 (Another great story with an expected ending. I laughed out loud several times while reading.)

The Frank Diary of Anne - 4.5 (Haunting. Left me wondering about the fate of "baby dearest".)

Unlucky in Death - 4.5 (Bob the hippie/surfer/stoner who happens to also be the most fascinating and hilarious vampire caused me to bump this rating up by .5)

Rotten Luck - 5 (This story is why I love short stories! When an author can, in a few short pages, convincingly and expertly tell a story that totally engages all of your senses in a way that leaves you wanting more yet feeling completely satisfied at the same time - that author has mastered the short story! Another reason that this story rocked? Zombies. Enough said.

The Demon of Walker's Woods - 5 (This story was an emotional roller coaster ride. One minute I thought I knew what was going on and then Bam! I'm hit with something that leads me down a different path. A tale that will resonate with just about every adult who had the "scary old witch" in their neighborhood.)

Although it wasn't mentioned in the table of contents (or list of scaries as Mr. Dillard refers to it), It is a Pleasure to Meet You is a poem that introduces the reader to the distorted world of Dan Dillard and lets them know they are in for a treat. I read it four times with awe and appreciation before I could proceed with the rest of the book. In fact, I thought I'd read this brilliant little piece and then shut down my Kindle for the night...er, early morning...but lo and behold and an hour and a half later, I was half-way through the sixth story and reminded again of why I love the horror genre. (Originally reviewed for Risque Reviews)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, June 8, 2010
Colleen Wanglund (Staten Island, NY) - See all my reviews
DEMONS AND OTHER INCONVENIENCES
By Dan Dillard

Demons, vampires, and things that go bump in the night. What scares you? Is something the future may hold? Is it a murderer of innocent children? What about the old woman living alone down the street? All of these and more can be found in the short stories contained in DEMONS AND OTHER INCONVENIENCES. Dan Dillard has quite the imagination and has some great stories here.
Some of my favorite stories in the collection include AMBER ALERT about a child that's gone missing in a small town and the horrifying realization of who is actually responsible; UNLUCKY IN DEATH about a newly-turned vampire who faints at the sight of blood; NEVER JUDGE A BOOK about Jack who runs into some pretty scary creatures on his walk home--this is a funny one, too; and MY MIND'S EYE about what goes through the mind of a potential killer.
Other notable stories include THE TRASH MENAGERIE which takes an interesting look at hoarding; PIG MAN about what a little girl sees in the middle of the night--quite terrifying; THE DEMON OF WALKER'S WOODS about the imaginations of a group of small-town children one summer; and ANTICIPATION about someone just waiting to die at the hands of others--and the surprise of "who" it is.
Overall, there isn't a bad story in the collection. I look forward to reading more from Dan Dillard in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Short Story Collection!!!, June 15, 2010
This review is from: Demons and Other Inconveniences (Paperback)
Dan Dillard has written a great book, loaded with some creepy short stories. This is my first book to read of his, and I was pretty impressed with the collection of stories. I loved the hint of mischievous humor in the horror stories, it just makes them all the more entertaining. Probably my favorite of the collection was, The Pig Man. This story is about a little girl that keep's seeing a Pig Man in the house at night when everyone is asleep. Very suspenseful story!

What I liked most about this book, was the stories were unique and creative.I look forward to reading more of Mr. Dillard's work in the future, and highly recommend this short story collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars I was really surprised by this book!, September 23, 2011
This review is from: Demons and Other Inconveniences (Paperback)
I don't read short stories and I don't read horror, so going into this book I was more than a little convinced I wasn't going to like it. But I really did like it! These stories are fast paced, action packed and fun to read. I would like to see a few of them, such as "The Frank Diary of Anne" and "The Demon of Walker's Woods" developed into a full book each. A great first effort by Dan Dillard!

5.0 out of 5 stars I would have paid for these!!, October 16, 2014
Excellent selection of short ones. I especially liked the first and last one. Can't believe these were free. Very easy to read and understandable. Quality writing all around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Demons and Other Inconveniences, July 14, 2013
I was a little confused in beginning before I bought the book. I was worried it had something to do with witchcraft. Dan was nice enough to assure me it did not. After I got it I couldn't hardly quit reading it. There are horror writers but this author actually goes deep making the reader think he is living it, feeling it, and breathing it. He brought it to life leaving the reader believe he was there in one of the characters. It is a great comical set of short stories set in horror. The first chapter I couldn't stop laughing. I felt the author was the crotchety old buzzard who was inappropriate with his mannerisms. The last story with the group of children, I felt the author acting a child's role bringing to life the old woman was a witch.
The take home message here listen to your children, they are the first to see and feel something wrong.
Dan has 5 stars from me for life, humor and horror in the his set of short stories.
Nancy Onyett, FNP-C

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, January 12, 2014
I love horror. I own thousands of ebooks and probably 3/4 of
them belong to this genre. That said, there are times I get burnt out and find I'm forcing myself to finish a book and hoping there's a little horror out there left "unexplored", (esp. in a collection of stories). I really enjoyed this book. I had no problem "trying" to finish it. Great stories and well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, January 2, 2015
It's usually difficult for me to find a collection of short stories all my the same author that I truly enjoy in any genre. Dan Dillard has done me a beautiful service by being the first. His collection of short stories will delight the demented mind and it made my little black heart flutter with wonder. It's a truly amazing and unique read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Demons And Other Inconveniences, October 1, 2014
It's a better book for the most part and I only didn't care for a few of these short paranormal stories. To be more accurate, I'd give it 3.5 stars. It is definitely worth a read on a cloudy fall evening. Some original stories for those times when you only have time for reading one or two short tales.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best in Horror!, March 12, 2012
Demons and Other Inconveniences

As soon as my signed copy of Demons And Other Inconveniences by Dan Dillard came in the mail, I got started on reading right away!

The nightmarish vibe of this book was a welcome vacation in my mundane life. There were a few stories in the book that scared me so bad, I missed a few details at the end. I had to read over the last few paragraphs, and they were no less frightful the second time around. There were some stories that kept me guessing and gave me a chill right as my eyes were tracing over the very last line, and some had my pulse racing with suspense as if I was smack-dab in the book myself! Demons and Other Inconveniences also contains the best vampire story I've ever read. Ever.

I usually read it during the day (which was merely circumstantial and had nothing at all to do with being so terrified by the stories lol). I'd get so lost in the words that the world around me just melted away. The style of writing delves into the deepest of human fears. Fears I never even knew I had! On the second night after reading the last story in the book, I closed my eyes to drift off to sleep only to snap them open as I found myself searching the darkness to make sure I was safe. Then I shut my eyes tight, feeling more security in not knowing. And suddenly, the other stories in the book flooded my mind and I didn't dare turn and look out my bedroom window. I knew pulling the cover over my head couldn't even save me.

That's just how incomparably good this book is. It penetrates your logic in the dead of night, making you wonder just who or what is really out there. If it weren't for my parrot who shares my room with me, I have no doubt that the lights would be on at night!

There were times when the suspense was really high, keeping me on edge and making me squirm in anticipation of something jumping out at me, only for the tension to be temporarily broken by some laugh-out-loud line. That's one thing I love about this author is how he brings you to a certain point in the book, only to hit you with something completely unexpected, whether it's a little irony, some good old-fashioned gore, or even something downright hilarious! I couldn't even guess at where the stories were going, and everything was so original which made it completely unpredictable. It was refreshing to find something new that actually terrified me on a whole new level, and I've watched and read a lot of horror!

It was highly enjoyable (and highly terrifying), and I can't wait to read it all over again! If you've only read the sample stories from Demons and Other Inconveniences, they don't even begin to claw at the surface of this amazing book! While the sample stories are great, I don't think anyone should miss out on this wonderfully macabre book as a whole that you can continue to enjoy.

(Sidenote: I also got Dan Dillard's What Tangled Webs. I'll be reading that one soon!)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Demons and Other Inconveniences
Demons and Other Inconveniences by Dan Dillard (Paperback - May 15, 2010)
$15.99 $13.60