Published on November 8, 2009 by maskirovka

1,110 of 1,175 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars A Well Intentioned Failure to Communicate
Published on September 27, 2009 by Daniel Murphy

1,110 of 1,175 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars A Well Intentioned Failure to Communicate, September 27, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
"Denialism" states author Michael Specter, "is denial writ large---when an entire segment of society, often struggling with the trauma of change, turns away from reality in favor of a more comfortable lie". The author proceeds to examine recent current events and issues to bolster his contention that some people, unreassured by the healthy and rigorous skepticism of scientific method, have rejected scientific evidence itself, thus lapsing into denialism. By examining the events around the removal of the anti-inflammatory medication Vioxx from the market, the current controversy about vaccines, what the author describes as the "organic fetish", the rise in popularity of CAM (complementary and alternative medicine), and the flawed concept of race, Specter attempts to show that American gullibility and hostility to science are endangering our lives, our nation, and our planet.

I'm a family physician, and I face what Specter terms "denialism" on an everyday basis, both in the office and in general conversation. Whether speaking with Young Earth proponents that feel the planet is no more than a few thousand years old, parents that refuse immunizations for their children, people that won't take medication for their blood pressure or heart disease because they fear the side effects more than the disease, or doubters of global warming, I'm regularly faced with people across the spectrum of intelligence, and across the spectrum of religious or political belief, that are unable to interpret the facts that are beginning to impact them where they live. What I had hoped for, when I picked up this book, was an investigation into WHY otherwise well-meaning, often educated, responsible people take rigid stances on issues that are starkly at odds with the facts. Further, I hoped that solutions would be offered to help break through these barriers between well documented information and subsequent ability to act accordingly. Denialism left both hopes unfilled. The book thus becomes more of a wringing of the hands rather than a rolling up of the sleeves.

The book fails on several levels. First, the people most likely to read a book called "Denialism" are the scientific faithful. Being amongst that crowd, I'm as happy as the next guy or gal to be told that I'm right and they (the denialists) are wrong. But I already thought that, and I'm wondering how this book moves even a tiny step closer to those that we would like most to reach. Specter appears to have so much disdain for deluded souls that he might as well have titled his book "Stupidism". The marked tone of condescension virtually guarantees that the target audience that the author would like to reach will tune out within 20 pages. Secondly, I deal with many otherwise quite intelligent folk that run businesses, or hold other positions of high responsibility, but also ascribe to astrology, homeopathy,or cult religions. If such people were amenable to facts, they would have gotten the point long ago. Specter's solution to this is to attempt to bludgeon the "denialist" with page after page of facts. Whatever it is that is blocking the understanding of the "denialist", it is not access to facts or information. The blockage is most likely emotional, possibly based on fear, and one does not most effectively deal with emotional barriers by using facts as instruments of assault and battery.

In order to make my third and final criticism, I need to relate a short story. As I write this, there is a high level of anxiety about a duel epidemic of flu, traditional and H1N1, in my community. My wife is a teacher at a local middle school. In the teacher's lounge yesterday the topic was flu vaccines, both the traditional and the H1N1. All the old reasons for not getting the flu vaccinations surfaced: "I've never had the flu, why should I worry about it?" or "Last time I got the flu shot, I got the worst case of flu that I've ever had" or "This is a new vaccine, what if they got it wrong and it kills more people than it helps?". One teacher, struggling to make up her mind, turned to my wife and said "Are you going to get the flu shot?". My wife replied "I've never gotten a flu shot before, but this year, Dan (that would be me) is really worried about it, and he thinks I should get it. So yes. I'm going to." The teacher then announced "I know Dan, he's a good doc, he would NEVER recommend a flu shot for Cindy unless it was his very best guess that she should do it. That's enough for me. I'm going for it.". The point here is that trust is an essential companion to facts. And the truth is that the frequent divorces between science and wisdom, between science and ethics, between science and the environment have done tremendous harm to the trust science feels that it deserves. No knowledge comes without subsequent responsibility, and Denialism addresses this fact only weakly. PhD's in geology (oil and mineral technology), chemistry (pesticides, household products containing carcinogens, napalm, neurotoxins), pharmacy (don't get me started), physics (nuclear weapons) are granted with little, or more commonly, NO training in ethics. I have a deep respect for science, but science has to up its game if it wishes to regain lost trust. Denialism doesn't even begin to discuss how this might be done.

Ironic, is it not, that a book entitled Denialism appears to be in denial about the substantial damage that scientists themselves, through arrogance or unethical behavior, have done to the field of knowledge that appears to be our only route towards solving the enormous challenges mankind currently faces. The solution to denial will be a multi-factorial one, and involve movement of both sides toward each other, rather than a merciless beating down of the recalcitrant "denialist".

Lastly, True Enough: Learning to Live in a Post-Fact Society is a very readable and interesting exploration of why the way a person thinks is not always congruent with the best information available. I found it illuminating.

2.0 out of 5 stars Such an important topic deserves better, October 4, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Denialism is all around us in many forms, from the anti-vaxxers to the Holocaust deniers and "Moon landing hoax" proponents. Scientists get it from both sides, from the populist know-nothings on the right to the conspiracy paranoiacs on the left. It's been addressed in various books over the years, from Shermer's Why People Believe Weird Things to Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World. But the new varieties of denial keep coming, as do the examples of corporate and scientific malfeasance that fuel them, and the fear-mongering media and crackpot celebrities keep cranking up the general level of anxiety. So we should welcome authors who can help to calm the panic and redress the balance.

Sadly, Specter fails in this. His concerns are real, the targets well-chosen, and the depth of his research is impressive. Unfortunately the presentation fails in several respects. The introduction is disorganized, as he keeps oscillating between the irrationality of the denialists and the range of provocations that have led to a quite understandable level of popular anxiety. And once he plunges into his first example - the drug Vioxx - it's unclear why he feels that it advances his argument. Merck put profit ahead of rigor, and patients paid with their lives. True. Where's the denialism? It looks like good old-fashioned greed. And so forth.

That pretty much sets the tone for the book. It's scattershot. There are probably half a dozen plausible essays for the New Republic or Mother Jones lurking in here, but as a sustained argument it's a flop. And that's a shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book about Another Dimension of Conspiracy Theories, November 8, 2009
maskirovka (Herndon, Virginia) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
If it weren't for the fact that "Denialism" has gotten unfairly reviewed by some people here who seem to have an axe to grind, I'd have given it four stars. But I figure that adding an extra star on my part offsets people who are themselves of the mindset the author writes about or people who think that the author is condescending in his tone (he didn't strike me as such).

I'm death on people who promote conspiracy theories, and "Denialism" definitely shows that the problem is much more widespread than just people who go on about the Kennedy Assassination or September 11...that there are many people who have paranoid conceptions of the pharmaceutical industry and vaccinations or who think that just because something was grown "naturally" it's automatically better for the world than a plant that is genetically modified to be pest-resistant or have more yield.

"Denialism" pours a lot of cold water on people who espouse such viewpoints, and yes, it is occasionally done in a strident fashion. But I can understand the author's frustration with people who link autism with vaccinations despite the flood tide of evidence to the contrary or who think it better that people in Africa starve to death rather than grow and eat genetically modified crops (I can hardly wait to read the negative comments that this paragraph alone is likely to trigger on my review).

To me, the best chapters are about vaccinations and the organic food cult. It blew me away to read that there are people out there who think "raw milk" (i.e. unpasteurized milk is somehow better for you than the regular stuff despite clear evidence showing that people can and do die from drinking the former instead of the latter). Similarly, I was shocked to read that vitamins and supplements that are routinely and aggressively marketed as cure-alls and preventatives for a variety of ailments come with a neat little disclaimer that states that none of these claims have been held up for scrutiny by the FDA.

My only criticisms of the book is that the author is a little too much in the tank for Obama (although he does lambaste a member of the Kennedy clan for incredible assertions about vaccinations). I really wonder what Obama's viewpoint is about medical evidence that shows that certain races are more susceptible to certain diseases and disorders (which is not politically correct to assert even in medical journals).

I'm also chary of his implied assertion that anyone who doesn't believe that climate change threatens the survival of mankind is in the denialist camp. I for one don't doubt that man can have an extremely negative impact on climate and the environment. I'm just not sold on the idea that all climate change is down to mankind instead of nature and that humanity should embark on monumental economic outlays to deal with the problem and change its ways and behavior on a scope that has never been attempted before. I'm also alienated by people who do believe that this is all necessary and their tendency to demonize people who don't agree with them as stupid or corrupt.

But overall, "Denialism" is a cold breath of fresh air and anyone who is truly open-minded will benefit from reading it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A well intentioned book that is unfortunately not very balanced, April 21, 2010
The tempo of technological development and scientific discovery seems only to be accelerating every day, and the time that it takes for a discovery to make its way in everyday life shortens all the time. Unfortunately, many of these changes are not very well understood and there are vocal opponents of many of them. A healthy dose of skepticism about everything that is novel and makes promises that seem too good to be true should be welcome, especially for tools and technologies that have not been proven themselves. However, when a technological advancement has already been proven to be effective and promises to facilitate human life in a very dramatic way, then the opposition to that advance can be hurtful to the society in general. "Denialism" is a book about several of those technological developments. Some of them, like the vaccination, are actually centuries old, but the opposition to them has never completely gone away. To the contrary, it looks like it has only increased in the recent years. The author does a very good job of describing and arguing in favor of several of those technological advances, and takes their critics to a task. A long-time New Yorker contributor, Michael Specter writes a very exciting and passionate book. The topics that he covers are all very interesting, and for the most part well documented. Unfortunately, the book has many significant flaws that make it less-than-ideal argument in favor of those technologies.

The books biggest fault is the portrayal of a very natural and sometimes very legitimate human tendency to be suspicious and fearful of novel and unusual substances into something that is misguided at best and more often than not pathological. This attitude serves neither the author nor his cause well. If his aim is to change minds and win over hearts, it would have been much more prudent to assume a much more conciliatory and far less condescending attitude towards those who don't share his opinions. As it is, I am afraid that this book will just end up preaching to the choir and solidify the opposition to many of the scientific developments that are promoted herein.

Another big flaw is a completely one-sided presentation. I am very inclined to believe most of the stuff that Specter argues in favor of, but the fact that he presents an incredibly unbalanced presentation leaves me very suspicious. On a few occasions that he mentions some of the arguments from the opposing viewpoint they invariably come from people that are so out of the mainstream way of thinking that it is hard to believe they are very representative. In other words, there is a lot of straw-man in this book.

Overall, this is an interesting book that will most likely not change many hearts or minds.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lazy Effort, December 19, 2010
I would have given a much higher rating if M. Spencer had done a better job citing his sources. He states footnotes are available on his website but they are not. The purpose of this book is to remind the reader how important critical thinking and evidence based reasoning are, I couldn't agree more. Then he produces a book with all sorts of interesting "facts" without citing his sources very well. Without appropriate documentation much of this book is relegated to the realm of opinion. I wish he would have taken the time to provide better documentation of sources:(

3.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas, but kind of lost me towards the end..., October 16, 2009
Kiki (Birmingham, Alabama) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great gem of an idea for a book, "denialism" being the name this journalist gives to the fear and mistrust that people ( both in the US and globally) have towards government agencies, pharmaceutical companies, biotech companies, etc.

As a nation, we don't like being told what to do. But no one can deny that wearing your seatbelt may save your life, and certainly will not hurt you. Countless studies prove this. Specter starts his study of denialism by examining the irrational fear of vaccinations in this country, a movement that seems to be headed up by self appointed anti-vaccination mom, Jenny McCarthy, an actress/comedienne. Specter explains at length why any actual risks that vaccinations may cause are clearly outweighed by the benefits(small pox being almost completely eradicated being on major benefit!). parents in this country are refusing vaccinations, and though measles sounds like a benign and survivable illness, many children have died from complications of the disease, much less than have died from the vaccination. Measles was eliminated in 2002, but recent refusals to vaccinate have caused several outbreaks in the US this year, and 540 children die every day from measles infections and complications. Much more than are effected by the MMR vaccinations.

McCarthy claims vaccinations caused her child's autism, as well as many others, but studies show, the level of autism diagnoses has not increased at all since the supposedly offending vaccinations have been added. Plus, autism is diagnosed strictly by behavior, and can often be misdiagnosed.

The whole book carries on in this vain. Specter looks at our fear of "big pharm" out for our cash, and not actually interested in our health (not to mention, our subsequent belief that alternative medicine and supplements will cure/heal/prevent illness, with absolutely no proof that any of the items actually does those things). He examines the current trend for local foods, organic foods, and the "all natural" trend that we are currently so enchanted with, both in the US and in Europe. He looks at our fear of bio-tech and the possible advances it could bring into health care in this country, but that fear and rhetoric of certain groups and people halts and inhibits.

Specter has done an exhaustive job of researching all the topics he tackles in this book, and generally speaking is an readable writer. The last chapter started to lose me...I just couldn't think about any more of the bio-tech scenarios, and there was a little too much scientist talk for me, personally.

However, this is a smart book with some excellent ideas that we need to start talking about soon, if we are to protect the health and welfare of this nation. Irrational fear of things new is normal, as is the fear of being told you must do something, even if it is for the good of both yourself and your family, and others around you. But a voice of reason needs to intervene when our fear turns us into a nation of fools.

2.0 out of 5 stars the pot calling the kettle biased, November 4, 2009
Silea (Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was very much looking forward to reading this book. I'm one of those progressive liberals who decries the lack of critical thinking in modern America, and i thought this book would, at the very least, be some comfort reading.

The first major topic in the book is the drug Vioxx, and how the company producing it engaged in egregious practices, leaving it on the market despite knowledge that it could cause harm. I know very little about that whole chain of events, but it was interesting reading all the same.

The second topic is vaccinations. I have a baby, and he gets all his vaccinations on schedule, because i did some research and decided that it was proven safe to my satisfaction. I have several friends who don't vaccinate at all, and several who've insisted on alternate schedules for their child, despite no family history of bad reaction to vaccines. We debate it sometimes, but in all, Specter's summary of the argument seemed to mesh pretty well with what i've seen first-hand.

The third topic is organic food, and that chapter made me angry. In it, Specter engages in nearly all of the behaviors for which he castigates the anti-vaccination crowd in the previous chapter. He conflates the pro-organic and anti-GMO movements; i'll concede that there's tremendous overlap, but they are two entirely different arguments. He ignores large swaths of evidence, for example, arguing that artificial fertilizers are not particularly dangerous with no mention of the runoff in rivers leading to, among other things, the giant Dead Zone in the Gulf of Mexico. He argues that only through non-organic techniques can we produce enough food to feed the world, citing famines in Africa, without mentioning that during most of these famines, some of those countries are net exporters of food. Market forces make it more profitable to sell food oversees than to one's own neighbor, so that's what some people do. Specter asserts that lab-based genetic modification is just an accelerated version of what happens in nature, and that it's harmless... but then recounts a story of scientists putting some genetic material from Brazil nuts into wheat. Brazil nuts and wheat would never share genes in the wild, and the scientists themselves found that people with deadly allergies to Brazil nuts could have the same reaction to the transgenic wheat. That doesn't sound harmless to me. He acknowledges that raising animals for meat consumes ridiculous amounts of grain and water, resources that could instead be used to feed people, but never remotely suggests that encouraging a vegetarian diet could be another way to feed the world by freeing up all those resources. There's more, but i think i've probably made my point. I can't help but wonder how many flaws i might have seen in the other chapters on which i haven't done some extensive research.

This book is stuffed full of oversimplifications and vilification of 'denialists'. He doesn't even draw any distinction between people who are misled, people who are simply ignorant, and people who have seen the evidence and still deny it. They're all 'denialists' to him. And i guess i am too, because despite an advanced degree and enough critical thinking to notice myriad flaws in his arguments, i still think that organic farming practices could feed the world, were there not commercial and governmental obstructions.

4.0 out of 5 stars "The Rest of the Story"--A Valuable Complement, September 30, 2009
Terry Sunday (El Paso, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There's no shortage of books available about the abysmal state of science education in the United States today. "The Republican War on Science," "Monkey Girl: Evolution, Education, Religion, and the Battle for America's Soul" and "Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free" are a few that quickly come to mind. There are many more. These books tell the sad and very disturbing story of how America, the only country ever to land men on the moon, has become a place where half of the population denies the proven reality of evolution in favor of supernatural nonsense. I first expected "Denialism" to be a similar tale of how religious fundamentalists and right-wing ideologues have joined together into a powerful force dedicated to stifling objective, fact-based scientific inquiry and extinguishing scientific literacy.

Actually, though, "Denialism" is quite a bit different. As such, it is another piece of the jigsaw puzzle of reasons why irrationalism and emotion-based appeals with no basis in fact have, to a great extent, replaced critical, logical thought in America. It focuses on one of the major factors responsible, in author Michael Specter's opinion, for bringing about this sad state of affairs. That factor is fear. Many Americans have recently come to unreasonably fear legitimate science, even over and above their religious and/or ideological reasons for doing so. Mr. Specter analyses why, in detail, in several case studies. His work is a thought-provoking look at what has gone wrong in the last 20 or 30 years to transform a nation famed for its "can-do" spirit, for which no challenge was too great to overcome, into a divided land of bickering, increasingly rude, anti-intellectual, proud-of-being-ignorant people who care about nothing other than their own narrow political agendas. As America continues to cede its global technological leadership role, it is important to understand how we came to this dismal situation.

Mr. Specter examines five factors that have contributed to the current anti-science mindset: 1) the controversial marketing of the prescription drug Vioxx; 2) disputes over the efficacy and possible side effects of vaccinating children; 3) arguments over the costs and benefits of genetically modified and "organic" foods; 4) the value (or not) of "natural" remedies; and 5) the role that genetics (i.e., race) plays in various afflictions and in the responses to certain drugs. Each topic gets a long chapter, with a set of endnotes containing sources and titles for additional reading, if you choose to dig deeper. In general, these subjects are not the usual ones covered in other contemporary books about the decline of scientific knowledge in America. Thus "Denialism" nicely complements other books on the subject, and fills in areas that other authors barely mention.

There's no doubt that legitimate reasons exist for people to have some concerns about the foods they eat, the drugs they take and how their children are protected. The days of everyone docilely lining up to get vaccinated because "the Government says so" are long gone. However, the pendulum has swung WAY too far the other way. Many people are now paralyzed with fear over some of the most common aspects of everyday life. NOTHING is completely risk-free. If you can't accept a small amount of risk in exchange for the indisputable benefits that science provides, you need to hermetically seal yourself up in a box and avoid any and all interactions with the outside world.

4.0 out of 5 stars "I believe in Science", September 28, 2012
I looked at these reviews after I read the book, and was a little shocked at the low scores. But, maybe I shouldn't be. There are a lot of controversial topics he discusses, and there is enough to perturb both sides of the aisle.
Still though, I enjoyed this book. The author does a good job of looking passed the idealism and into the science. Something we all need to do better.
It isn't perfect; many topics will require additional reading. But the central idea, which is to me that statistics and science are more important than ideals and prejudices, is a great point.
I would recomend this book to anybody: to both my hippy friends who sometimes take the "organic" stuff a little too far, and especially to my conservative friends for which I hope their distrust in basic science improves.

3.0 out of 5 stars Diagnoses the Problem but Has Neither Explanations nor Solutions, September 20, 2010
Roger D. Launius (Washington, D.C., United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Michael Specter, a longtime journalist writing about science and technology for the "New Yorker," takes aim in this book on those who persist in believing that which is false based on scientific knowledge. As he writes in "Denialism," it "is denial writ large--when an entire segment of society, often struggling with the trauma of change, turns away from reality in favor of a more comfortable lie." Specter uses as his test cases for this situation several recent public controversies surrounding big pharma and Vioxx, vaccinations and the belief that they might cause autism in children, the quest for organic foods and the rejection of genetically modified plants, the rush to use herbal remedies, the place of genetics versus lifestyles in propensities toward various diseases in larger populations, and a catch-all chapter on a range of other instances in which he beliefs "magical" thinking has replaced scientific analysis and reasoning.

No doubt Specter is on to something. There are many instances in which Americans, and that is who he is really writing about, reject scientific experimentation and results in favor of beliefs that are predicated on little more than wishful thinking. There are many more instances than he discusses. He tantalizes the reader with certain explanations about this, such as his indictment of rampant capitalism in trying to shift public opinion: "Corporations, wrapping themselves in the mantle of progress but all too often propelled by greed, have done more than any religion of even Luddism to inflame denialists and raise doubts about the objectivity of science" (p. 36). Certainly an extreme statement that has a measure of truth about it, but not one explored in either any depth or with any systematic approach in "Denialism."

At another point Specter writes in a passage seemingly at odds with the earlier quote: "For nearly fifty years Americans have challenged the very idea of progress, as blind faith in scientific achievement gave way to suspicion and doubt. The benefits of new technologies--from genetically engineered food to the wonders of pharmaceuticals--have often been oversold. And denialism thrives in the space between promise and reality" (p. 226). Which is it, corporate manipulation or public distrust? Probably both.

I see this denialism, to use Michael Specter's term, everywhere. Global warming, evolution, etc., are all present. I had hoped that this book would offer a systematic and insightful exploration of how and especially why this is taking place in American society. Unfortunately, the analysis was not there. Specter diagnoses and describes the situation; he offers little in the way of understanding about the how and the why of it. Instead it is very much a journalistic description of what is happening, very much like a reportorial story appearing in a magazine. That is a start, but only a start. I had anticipated more, and I'm a bit disappointed as a result. I hope Specter will take up the task of explaining how and why denialism is rampant in modern American society, especially in light of the very real accomplishments of science and technology in making life so much more lengthy and inviting than in earlier centuries.

Denialism: How Irrational Thinking Harms the Planet and Threatens Our Lives
Denialism: How Irrational Thinking Harms the Planet and Threatens Our Lives by Michael Specter (Paperback - October 26, 2010)
$16.00 $13.91