Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dennis the Menace (Special Edition)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

on July 26, 2010
If your looking for a great movie to watch with the family that can entertain your kids on a rainy day, this is definitely your movie! It can have you and your kids on the floor laughing, but yet have some mild scary moments.
This movie is based around Dennis a 5 and a half year old boy who gets into a lot of trouble because of his curiosity. He lives next to the old Mr. Wilson who often is the recipient of Dennis's curiosity. Meanwhile a crook comes through town and starts robbing house's.
Overall this is a classic film that never really get old and has 93 minutes of great entertainment. This movie definitely deserves 5 stars.
on January 26, 2003
"Dennis the Menace", directed by Nick Castle, is based on the hit 60's sitcom, by the same title.
PLOT SUMMARY: Mason Gamble stars as Dennis Mitchell, a young kid who just can't seem to stay out of trouble. He doesn't MEAN to cause trouble...he just well, does. Walter Matthau stars as Dennis's grumpy next door neighbor, Mr. Wilson, who can't STAND Dennis. When Dennis's parents go away (Robert Stanton and Lea Thompson), Dennis must stay with the Wilsons, and Mr. Wilson is extremely unhappy about this. But when Dennis gets out of line, Mr. Wilson gets so angry that he yells at Dennis, which makes Dennis run away. That's when the real trouble begins...Dennis encounters an old neighborhood thief, Switchblade Sam (Christopher Lloyd), who kidnaps Dennis, and soon Dennis learns that Switchblade Sam has stolen some items from the Wilsons' house (and others from his neighborhood), so it's up to Dennis to save the day.
MY OVERALL THOUGHTS: I haven't seen this film in a long time, but I remember it well. The acting from the entire cast is great. The storyline is light-hearted and fun. Mason Gamble was a perfect choice for Dennis. The directing is wonderful, too.
From the looks of the DVD, there is going to be some great special features. The bonus features will include a behind-the-scenes featurette, a documentary on Dennis the Menace, a special "memories" document with Mason Gamble, a conversation with Walter Matthau, and another conversation with writer and producer, John Hughes. The DVD will also include trailers and a DVD-ROM game. The DVD will be available in wide screen format.
I highly recommend "Dennis the Menace".
Score:
89/100
B+
on May 5, 2004
While this film does not break new cinematic ground; it was never intended to in the first place. Having said that, this is perhaps one of the most delightful, sweet and charming children's movie's I have ever seen. I say that with some amount of authority, as I have two young children, so watching children movies is something we do alot of.
What makes this movie so utterly unforgettable is the sweet charm displayed between Walter Matthau (Grumpy Mr. Wilson) and Dennis (Mason Gamble). There is a unique, understated quality to this movie, where the soundtrack is rather understated and in many scenes you simply watch young Dennis or Mr Wilson (or both) interacting in gentle, silent ways. The movie has become a favorite of my 4 1/2 year old girl (Dennis-like herself) to watch before she goes to bed. We have even memorized some of the scenes and act them out at dinner, like when Mr Wilson eats a piece of chicken that has accidently become victim to Dennis' paint & wood glob. Matthau is so good in that scene; just watch his facial expressions...hardly says a word, but what a classic comedic scene.
I can't rave enough about this movie, if only more movies could be made with such charm, care and love.
on October 12, 2005
My name is Wally Gator, I'm a rock and roller, who also pushes a stroller. My reveiws here at Amazon tend to be about rock and roll and rock and roll related things, but lately I have been on a mission to spread the word about cool entertainment for young ankle biters and the tormented young parents of such.
TODAY WE HAVE: DENNIS THE MENACE, the 1993 version of this movie from WARNER BROS. It stars MASON GAMBLE, WALTER MATTHAU, LEA THOMPSON and CHRISTOPHER LLOYD.
As far as a family movie goes I give this FIVE STARS.. this means not only do I approve for the kids, but it is also a fun movie for ANYONE! It is rated PG, I think because CHRISTOPHER LLOYD plays a bandit and there are some scenes involving Dennis getting kidnapped, (the results are hillarious, I assure you.)
There is a reference or two about Dennis' parents having sex but they will definatley fly over any childs head who isn't already well schooled in the subject matter. And come on! LEA THOMPSON is HOT as Mrs. Mitchell in this movie, there has to be at least one stab. Its something about how his parents "wrestle" on Sunday mornings and thats when they like to be left alone...no big deal.
I found this movie to be very funny and so did the kids. If you need a new DVD for the family collection and despise BARNEY, THE WIGGLES, most DISNEY movies... the way that I do, then where do we go. Keep in mind that WALLY GATOR is on the task now. For now, go with this one. Even the baby got a chuckle out of it.
on April 11, 2009
the movie was great, great price & fast shipping!!!
And thank you Amazon for my quick credit on my purchase from dvdlegacy who couldnt deliver a movie as promised, and would not answer any of my emails either. Anyone reading this DO NOT BUY ANYTHING from dvdlegacy!!
on May 17, 2016
I actually enjoyed this movie. Children will enjoy this movie more no doubt. I myself have watched this like three times in the past years. The best parts of the movie are those in which Dennis's games and plans go astray, often in the direction of Mr. Wilson. The good parts have a charm based on Dennis's inexorable logic. He sees a situation, interprets it, and acts as he thinks he should. He is almost always wrong. Wandering into Mr. Wilson's house on an apparently necessary errand, for example, he finds Mr. Wilson in bed. We know that Mr. Wilson has jumped under the covers only seconds earlier, to pretend to be sleeping in the hope that Dennis will go away. Dennis tries to awaken Mr. Wilson, grows alarmed by his snoring and appearance of great fatigue, decides Mr. Wilson has a headache, tries to give him an aspirin, and finally shoots the aspirin into his mouth with a slingshot.
I also enjoyed the comfortable domesticity in the Wilson household
on March 12, 1999
A great family movie for all ages. The scene where Dennis ties up the Chris Lloyd and makes him eat all the beans, cracks me up beyond belief. My daughter,3, loves it, and if you have to watch a movie over and over(parents know what i mean) this is a great one.
on February 11, 2016
I watched this movie so many times when I was little. I read the comics and watched the original cartoon and always thought this was pretty true to the story line. Even the actors fit the characters.
I still quote this movie and decided to get it for my daughters' movie collection. My older daughter liked it and I'm sure the youngest will too. Once she's old enough to really watch it (she's still a baby).
on July 2, 2015
It's an hilarious movie. It is wonderful to see little "Amy" (the child who plays Margaret) in her first real role. Of course, she's an adult now. The last time I saw her she was only about 17 months old visiting her grandmother in Boca Raton back in the 80's. She was a brilliant baby. Very smart with the one-liners she would come up with. Walter Matthau is wonderful in any movie he had played. It would be tough to create a remake better than this one. The DVD is good quality and there were no issues in the delivery process, either.
on June 3, 2006
Walter Matthau and Mason Gamble were amazing in this hillarious comedy. I'm a fan of comedies in general and I enjoy the raunchiest comedies as well as the sweet and wholesome ones. This falls squarely into the sweet and wholesome end of the spectrum, but it ranks with the best I've ever seen in terms of humor. I got more than the usual number of strong laughs out of this movie. The interplay between Matthau and Gamble is remarkably good. Both seem to be masters at using facial expression to milk a situation for all it's worth. The other actors in this movie do a flawless job of supporting the efforts of the two stars of this movie. The DVD extras are also worth watching. This DVD is one of the best deals I've seen!