5.0 out of 5 stars Best In Its Class
I believe that in this price range the Denon AVR-1312 is the best bang for your buck. Although there are a few missing features it has all the ones most users will ever need. Here's a quick list of pros and cons that help the AVR-1312 stand out from the crowd. For reference I have mine hooked up to a set of Polk Audio RM75 speakers and a RCA 150W 10" sub...
Published on January 2, 2012 by C L Hinds

1.0 out of 5 stars Just a bad experience..........
I had actually bought this unit to replace a similar Pioneer model, (lightning had fried the HDMI inputs *sigh*) I went ahead and purchased one based on the reviews here.

Published on February 3, 2012 by David Topping

5.0 out of 5 stars Best In Its Class, January 2, 2012
This review is from: Denon AVR-1312 5.1 Channel A/V Home Theater Receiver (Electronics)

PROS
1. Amazing sound.
2. Pro Logic IIx-does a great job of turning 2 channel sources into 5.1.
3. Good built-in crossover that helps blend the right frequencies in order to get the optimal sound out of your speakers no matter the size or placement.
4. 3D pass-thru - not found on most receivers at this price.

CONS
1. Flimsy remote. Feels very light and plasticky.
2. No Audacy auto setup-not surprising at this price tho.
3. No video pass-thru on standby. I don't really care about this, but if you ant to use your tv without having the receiver on this will make it difficult.

Despite this receivers flaws you really can't go wrong with it. Denon makes very good audio equipment and it shows in this entry-level receiver. If you can get it for around $200 it is a steal!

TWO YEAR UPDATE

I have bene using this receiver for almost two years now and I still really like it. It puts out big sound and does a good job with all my equipment. I don't think you can get this exact model anymore, but I would definitely look at the yearly replacement model. I'm sure it has a few upgraded features at near the same price as I paid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just a bad experience.........., February 3, 2012

Let me start by saying that I am not one of those reviewers who give terrible ratings because the unit came late or was scratched or I felt shafted for some other dumb reason, when reviews should be about the products. I also wish to add I have a little experience and am not a total airhead when it comes to these things, having installed/connected loads of Flat screens on walls and run basic setups for friends and family.

This review is about MY experience and I am guessing that I must be in the minority based on the other reviews here, this is actually the 1st time that a well reviewed product that I have purchased has let me down.

I have an older Panasonic 42" viera plasma 720p and am using a basic LG BluRay player, despite all my attempts I just cannot get a picture from the receiver, plug in the player directly into the TV and it works great, the receiver is getting the signal from the player because I can see it on the front display as it flashes PCM/HDMI but no output, have tried different cables everything!!.

after calling Denon customer service I got some helpful advice and they admitted it could be a "handshake" problem between the TV and the receiver. At this point i was not even going to post a bad review as these things happen and even though its SUPPOSED to work I have read there are compatibility issues with HDMI 1.3, 1.3a, 1.4 etc etc. its ironic that the customer service rep said this is there #1 problem with HDMI/compatibility.

He suggested as workaround, plug the Bluray player directly into the TV and get my audio via the Coaxial *ding* great Idea!!, which is what I did and now could not get any sound *sob*, ok another call to the helpful people at Denon Customer service and he suggested that maybe the Bluray player could not output two digital signals at once?...what do I know?.

Ok, so I got fed up and went the tried and trusted route and just plugged in the two analog L/R RCA cables from the player into the receiver into the SAT/CAB input and of course voila!!...it worked.

Now to all you audiophiles out there its just a temp fix I know I know I will not get anywhere near the 5.1/DTS/Dolby etc etc, so I settled into watch my new Bluray of "Bullitt" and all was as well as could be expected from my analog set up, about 90mins into the movie (reason for 1 star rating) *POP* and the red light flashed on the receiver and all the lights went out...*sigh*, turned it off and on and it was fine for about 15mins more then *pop* again and off it went.

From my experience this usually happens when a unit overheats, I have the unit on a shelf by itself with a 8" clearance on Top for ventilation + I was hardly driving it hard, please note that my previous Technics & Pioneer receivers were both kept in exactly the same spots with no overheating problems whatsoever and TBH, even poorly ventilated setups (You've seen them where the person has a Wii, Cablebox, DVD player, tuner, receiver etc all stacked on top of one another in a cabinet with a glass front) it usually takes more than 3/4 of a movie and average volume to suffer an overheat shutdown problem.

Like I say it looks like I got a lemon, these things happen ...but felt it fair to share my experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Pleasure, December 25, 2011
This is my first experience with a Denon product, and I must say that I am overall very happy with this purchases. The AVR-1312 is Denon's first entry level offering, featuring their great quality design with affordable pricing.

While this is very basic 5.1 surround receiver, it has quite a lot to offer the budget audio enthusiast; namely, clean consistent sound across the spectrum. There are no holes in the listening experience but very clean highs, perfect mid range and tight, solid bass.

While I was reviewing other units, I kept on noticing problems with different aspects concerning the HMDI hook ups and other anomalous things. My final two choices I had narrowed down in my price range were the Denon and the Sony STRDH520 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver (Black). While the Sony was by far more feature rich, there were enough complaints that kept me leaning towards the Denon, which boasted 91/2 stars and a long history of excellence. Sony seems to have quality issues in their manufacturing, because many different products from them often have a fair amount of problem-ed units.

The only drawback for me is that I am pushing 8ohm speakers and the amp is designed for driving 6ohm speakers more efficiently. I really have to crank it to get any level of sound out of it passed a whisper, but in the end this isn't much of a problem. The discrete separate amplification circuits rated at .08% THD, you can crank this guy up with minimal distortion until the very end of the dial. I can get an acceptable volume without any discernible distortion for music and movie viewing. Getting to the higher volumes that I like at times, it still out performs other audio systems I have owned before. But, would still like a little more crank for those, "I really want to feel this" times.

At the end of the day, this is a small thing compared to the build and quality that comes from owning Denon equipment. Need a basic 5.1 receiver that won't brake the bank but deliver great sound and be reliable years down the road; buy the Denon.

5.0 out of 5 stars The audio is exceptional, December 24, 2011
I connected this Denon AV receiver to five speakers and a subwoofer. There was no sound coming from the subwoofer until I made an adjustment to the speaker configuration. The default settings didn't do the job. The clearly-written manual got me through all problems of the setup though.

The sound from my TV, DVD, and FM is now fantastic. I'm happy with this "entry level" receiver that I bought myself for Christmas. Everything works perfectly and the set looks great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely bare minimal but thats all I need!!, December 7, 2011
I will keep this review short and simple

Bare minimal - but who needs more

1. No Airplay - But I, like most folks have an Apple TV ($80) and connect that instead. I get video too with that
2. No calibration mic and auto calibration - Ok. I have used it in other receivers and it seriously - I (might be different for others though) do a fairly good job with my ears alone.
3. No component and upscaling - the only boxes that uses component/composite are gaming devices these days and I think to get the best sync between audio and video - it should be routed to the TV directly and the TV should feed the receiver. If not.. it is an extra set of wires to the TV. No big deal really
4. Only 4 HDMI inputs - Ummmm.. Cable/Sat, DVD/BD, Apple TV and what else? I think at I don't need more

Now what it does - it does very well

1. Fantastic audio - I am an audiophile and I spend hours in my basement with my Maggies and custom made DACs, class A amps and SRPP tube buffers.. So trust me when I say this.. For home theater - it fits 95% of my audio needs in my living room. I never do any critical listening here
2. Adjustable lip sync - best feature and it is works very well. HDMI 1.3 is supposed to auto lip sync but does not work very well because Directv H24 introduces a delay (and that is not HDMI 1.3 compliant). On a 70" (LC70LE632U) - this is very visible. So using the delay is perfect for me

I am using this with my sharp 70" incher and it replaces a Sony ES receiver and that had no HDMI before

Summary - For $200 - it cannot be beat. For now.. it is doing very well - will let you know if it dies on me

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!, September 8, 2011
I love this product. great buy definitely recommend this to anyone who needs a starting receiver. Got mine yesterday and hooking it up was a breeze and it sounds gret with my speakers

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible value for the price, August 29, 2011
You won't find a cheaper 5.1 550W receiver that has 4 HDMI inputs, is 3D ready, and is iPod ready. Very pleased with my purchase! Was looking for a cheap solution to hook up my 2 floor-standing JBL speakers, my 42in. Panasonic Plasma, PS3, and AT&T Uverse cable.

HDMI is the only way to go!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Receiver, August 28, 2011
This receiver rocks. It is probably entry level and basic but it allowed me to hookup my AT&T UVerse, Apple TV, and Blu-Ray Player to hit through HDMI with great results. The monitor out is nice since it gives you an on screen menu to tweak the receiver. Great purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed by HDMI video quality, February 23, 2012
I bought this receiver for the HDMI pass-through. When I hooked it up I noticed that the picture on my TV was pixelated during fast moving scenes. When I plugged the HDMI back into the my Xbox directly it went away. I was really looking forward to this receiver because I thought Denon was the best. If you are planning to use it for HDMI pass-through I wouldn't recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it so far (updated), December 24, 2011
Updated2: I believe the blackouts were related to the hdmi cable between the receiver and the tv, and the hdcp drm scheme, not the receiver. I raised the rating back to 4. However after comparing the two, I feel that the Sony strdh520 sounds better (my personal opinion), and since it has ARC is a better choice than the Denon.

Updated: Had it a little over a month and was basically underwhelmed. Started to get blackouts during dvd or blu-ray playback. Sometimes audio and video, sometimes just video would black out during playback. The blackouts were brief, a few seconds, but annoying. I originally thought they were due to damaged or dirty disks, but it also happened on a brand new blu-ray. It's some sort of signal issue. When I connected the BR player directly to the HDTV the blackouts stopped.

I returned it, and replaced it with a Sony strdh520.

I reduced the rating from 4 stars to 3.

----------------

I'm not qualified to review the sound quality of this receiver. It sounds fine to me, but I haven't compared it to any others in an A/B test. My home setup is just a 2.1.

From a usability and flexibility standpoint:

1. It's easy to hook up speakers using banana plugs or just bare wires.
2. The back panel is pretty well laid out, but the labeling uses small lettering and is not that easy to read.
3. There are 4 hdmi inputs. There is a button on the remote for "TV" but there is no hdmi input for a TV. I assume this button works if you have a coax plug hooked up to the monitor jack.
4. There are analog inputs for audio, but none for video, at least not on the back panel. There is a video input on the front for occasional hookup to devices like a camcorder. I am not sure if it can handle analog input.
If not, you can't hook up game consoles, like the Wii, using an rca cable for video.
5. There is a set of component audio/video jacks. You can connect the Wii to the receiver using component cables. Or, you can connect the audio cables from the game to the receiver and connect the video cable directly to your tv, if it supports analog video input.
6. There is an optical audio input port. I use the port to direct audio created by the tv through the receiver. My tv has an internet connection and there is no other way to get tv audio to the speakers since the Denon doesn't support ARC (which permits audio to be transmitted back to the receiver from the tv over the hdmi cable).

The settings are relatively bare-bones. The ad copy says it has a "graphical interface", which is a stretch. It's just text on your screen, which changes color from white to yellow when the text selection is active.

The receiver is "ipod ready", but you need to buy a Denon dock to take advantage of it. There are ipod controls on the remote, which only work if the ipod is connected to their dock. An appletv is probably a better investment.

The volume control is strange. There are two buttons that control volume up or down, rather than a single rocker button. A single button press causes a nearly imperceptible change in volume. But holding down the button for a second causes volume to change rapidly, often overshooting the desired volume level. Not a big deal, but I would have thought that volume control design was pretty well locked down by now.

There is an led screen on the front of the receiver. Nearly all text appears on a single line in very small lettering. The display screen itself seems generous in size but Denon uses very little of it to convey information. I guess they expect people to use the on screen overlay, which is plain text and easy to read.

Overall the receiver meets my needs and I could not find a better one for this price. About the only thing I wished it would do is permit me to mix audio an video hdmi sources. I'd love to be able to watch a football game while listening to music rather than the announcers.

ARRAY(0x9b0ced20)