4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, entry-level unit performs well.
Especially if one isn't looking for a lot of bells and whistles, or if one simply wants a basic surround system, I can highly recommend this unit, as it provides plenty of power, fairly easy setup, and VERY good sound for this price-level, provided one has some decent speakers.

Published 20 months ago by Paukenwirbel

2.0 out of 5 stars No USB Port
Purchased this, received it, installed it and when I went to use it discover there is no USB port as advertised. So, returned it...
Published 9 months ago by Jack Bretcher

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, entry-level unit performs well., June 23, 2013
Paukenwirbel (the mid-South, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Denon AVR-E200 5.1 Channel 3D Pass Through Home Theater AV Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Setup was about as simple as it gets for A/V systems, having done quite a few entertainment systems for myself, family, and friends. My one complaint about setup here is that the printed and included "Getting Started" quick-setup guide only covers half of the initial setup process/menu-hierarchy in English before it transitions roughly into French. It's helpful up to the point at which it changes languages, but then one is left to figure out the rest oneself. What's the point of including it at all?

The full manual is included on a CD-ROM, but since it's only about 60 pages long, why not just include a printed copy of that rather than the multi-lingual-and-incomplete "Getting Started" guide, which runs 40+ pages anyway and isn't complete in ANY of 4 languages?

The final part of what made me deduct a star from this otherwise-fine unit is that the on-screen menu and menu-hierarchy are not that intuitive. Even for someone very familiar with using these types of on-screen menus, it takes a while to remember how to find everything one needs to tweak. I'd point out that the remote is lacking in heft and has a balance point for my thumb that doesn't land anywhere near squarely on the volume adjustment, which is where it should land, and I'm done complaining.

If one can get over these minor annoyances, one will be very happy with this unit. Great sound, plenty of power (though remember that it's really 75W with the 8 Ohm speakers usually included in home stereo systems -- see p. 58 of Denon's manual's specs at http://usa.denon.com/DocumentMaster/US/AVR-E200E3_ENG_CD-ROM_v00.pdf ) giving plenty of sound in my bonus room over a 3-car garage, and very good build quality that is typical of Denon. This receiver is not feature-laden, but for an entry-level unit, it provides almost all of what it advertises.

I recommend it highly, though if I might add my personal 2 cents, if I were in the market for a new entry-level receiver, I'd probably go with the next one up this product line, the Denon AVR-E300 5.1 Channel 3D Pass Through and Networking Home Theater Receiver with AirPlay, primarily for the slightly stronger speaker cable connectors (though I'd still prefer banana plugs) and the "Audyssey" automatic speaker calibration. Very few people have the training (or ears) to calibrate speaker levels manually, as you have to do with this unit, and even if you do, one will inevitably run into phase issues that one cannot adjust manually on this unit anyway. For that feature alone, I think the "Audyssey" system is worth the additional price -- while one might not consciously know why an auto-calibrated room/speaker system sounds better than one done manually, most folks will definitely be able to hear the difference and prefer the former!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Sound At A Great Price!, May 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First off, this unit is heavy and has a great sleek look. The blue Display lights are crisp, bright and simple. For sheer simplicity, there are a minimal amount of buttons and controls on the front. This unit replaced my Yamaha RX-V371BL 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver which had 100 watts per channel. With a whopping 165 watts on the Denon, sound clarity and crispness is vastly increased. The remote on the Denon is also much simpler than the Yamaha, as it has (43) forty-three buttons instead of (75) seventy-five. It's just better designed.

Setup is really easy. In the rear, everything is color-coded (as are the cables). There are easily distinguishable inputs for speaker wires (Front L/R, Rear L/F, Center and Subwoofer). It would have been nice if there was an option for `banana plugs', but that's minor. You can hook up your satellite, cable and monitor by `optical', HDMI or standard audio cable. You can also hook up your FM Coaxial and AM loop antenna. I have chosen to use HDMI cables, as they give the most reliable digital transfer and are simply easy to install. Set up in the front is also very intuitive with all the graphics information basically being a walk-through to set up your speakers and other receiver items.

This unit has the latest Dolby and DTS high-definition surround sound decoding to date, but to be honest, as good as it all sounds; I cannot hear the difference between these two systems.

The `Quick Select Function' (four buttons on remote and receiver) allow you to easily choose between Cable/Satellite, Blu-ray, Game or Aux inputs. Each one of these can be sound customized and the best news is your receiver will remember these settings even after you turn your receiver off. The auxiliary input (used with standard audio cable plugs) can also be used as a phono input - even older phonograph players - as long as they have the standard plugs.

I really liked the placement of the HDMI input on the front of the receiver. In the past, I'd have to turn my Yamaha around to get an HDMI cable in, if I was using an outside source of video, music or another portable media device. Having it right in the front is very convenient. The manufacturer states that they use 1080p (which is standard quality now), but the 3D Pass-through is new to me. 3D Pass-through is convenenient when you want the signal from a source component to travel through an intermediary component without audio sound change. When a home theater system is described as having pass-through capability, it means that the audio or video can exit exactly as it entered. Many older receiver models don't have this capability and that means you might have the choice of 3D without surround sound or 2D with surround sound. Basically, it's just a nice option to know you have.

Also, with this system you can connect and use just about any combination of speakers (sizes and types), due to the `variable crossover points'. This is unusual, as in the past, different speakers combined in one system can sound awkward. This receiver allows mixing and matching of different speakers. You can connect small compact speakers, medium sized speakers or full-size speakers as well as a subwoofer and improve or enhance the settings for each speaker.

When all is said and done, you will experience theater style sound with ear-piercing highs, solid mid-ranges and a thunderous bass. Movies are simply fantastic and my multi-channel SACD's never sounded better. Its like being in the music studio!

When you compare this unit with others in the same price range, it's an easy choice and Denon has always had a great reputation. The quick set-up guide will have you up and running in no time. But the sound is impeccable. Plus the easy, intuitive use of the remote is a big sell for me. You'll have it `finger-memorized' in no time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as advertised totally happy., July 28, 2013
for reference:
my audio room is 45 sq meters, (484 sq feet).

Recently I liberated myself... after spending years buying expensive recivers that could do music and movies.
Well, for Home theater the most important thing to consider before spending a lot, are the constant upgrades to standards.

When I saw this receiver line come out, the specs and the focus of it's conception: HDMI, discreet channels, 3D, crossover settings for all channels, video passthrough and good price.

I thought to myself, heck, I'll just separate music and Home theater units and be done with.

A great liberating call, It fills my room with more than enough volume... looks amazing, has nicely detailed sound, very easy to setup. The menu is SUPER EASY, albeit you know at least the BASICS, if not ther's a ton of online info for you to understand speaker setup.

- You get the E-300 if you really want Audessy calibration... which I don't need... My ears are good enough for my room... and networking capabilities and connectivity. And using your IOS or Android device as a controller with the cool app.

Sound equipment is like wine... you can get a 1000 dollar bottle and if you drink it in a plastic cup, at the wrong temperature while eating a hotdog, it would be beat by a regular quality wine, properly served.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU GO CRAZY SPENDING... properly match speakers... sub... the correct settings... positiong and THE ROOM makes for 75% of the sound experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, May 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one Denon's new E-series A/V receivers, it's the E-200, which is the low man on the totem pole, the others being the E-300 and the E-400. You can see the difference in features above on the webpage. The E-200 is also very similar to Denon's older AVR-1513 with only a few differences.

I'm replacing an older Sony 60W A/V receiver with this. The E-200 has 165W max per channel (5 channels) and the power really comes through, you can really hear and feel the difference. I paired it with a pair of 100W speakers and in a 12' x 12' room this receiver fills the room with music.

The features are actually pretty standard for current receivers: 5.1, Dolby and DTS. What I found greatly different from my old receiver are the ports or inputs. My old receiver had multiple RCA ports for tape deck, VCR, DVD, etc. The E-200 only has 2 RCA ports, one for cable/SAT and one for DVD. Instead it has 4 HDMI inputs for cable/SAT, Blu-ray, game and aux, 3 in the back and 1 in the front. It also has a 3.5mm audio input in the front for any audio source you choose. The speaker connectors are the basic clip ones but there is a port for a sub-woofer pre-out.

All in all, it's a very nice basic receiver and of course Denon is known for excellent audio systems. It's got a nice 165W per channel and ports for pretty much everything you need at a great price. If you want more power, more channels, more features, there are two higher receivers in this series at a higher price but this one would suit most people's basic needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean, Crisp, Easy, Happy, Happy, Happy, October 12, 2013
Pros:
Easy on screen TV set up, for speaker balance.
Easy cable hook up
Clean looking front, uncluttered of buttons and knobs.
Great sound crisp sound.
Works great with my Harmon 880 Universal Remote
Front HDMI and USB Port
LED display on front can be dimmed to desired brightness (Blue LED)

Cons:
Must use TV for set up of all functions.
Little difficult to set up FM Pre Sets for a Novice (I am)

My overall summary; +'s out weigh the few -'s. Very satisfied, Denon quality, benchmarked by other brands, great entry level price for overall TV and DVD watching. Unless you are really a GEEK and have a very sensitive ear for music you should love it. Would not have spent a penny more for more bells and whistles for my viewing on a 70" Sharp LED TV in a very large theater room. my distance from front speakers to rear is approximately 14 feet also using a large sub-woofer it will kick it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal for the money!, December 26, 2013
I needed a home theater amp to replace my Yamaha that was getting long in the tooth. Back in the day a Denon receiver like this would have cost a small fortune. For a medium or small living room this amp rocks! Enough power to do more than you need. Pretty darn clean amp, even through home theater/satellite speakers music (cds) sound good. It doesn't have a million stupid DSP effects you'll never use, but what it has is great general functionality. Easy enough to set up, for $200, I don't believe you can beat it. Tops out at with plenty of good, clean power. I run mine through Martin/Logan home theater speakers ($350), and again, for the money I'm more than satisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Place to Start!, June 30, 2014
I am a total n00b when it comes to home theater, so I wasn't sure what exactly to expect when I ordered this receiver. Well, it took me a little over an hour to get everything setup, but that was mostly because I didn't have a wire stripper and I had to use a knife instead. As far as connecting everything to the denon, that was easy, everything is labeled nicely, and the connections seem fairly solid to me, although I don't think there's a whole lot you can do to make them more secure than they already are. The sound is good as far as I'm concerned. I'm using a Frankenstein system using some old Sony and technics speakers that my parents had laying around, and they work well enough for what I use them for, which is mostly playing video games and watching Netflix and the occasional movie. I still haven't figured out all the audio processing options exactly, but I leave mine on direct most of the time because I think that just passes through the audio signal straight from the source without any extra processing. I'm not sure if that's the best way, but I get surround sound from it. I just played through The Last of Us on the ps3 and leaving it on direct it had full surround effects and it sounded great to me. I can't really speak to the reliability because I've only had it for about a month, but I will update this review if I have issues. For the money it really is incredibly tough to beat it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of bang for your buck, May 30, 2014
At the time I write this it is an unbelievable value for a bit over $160. Full surround, lots of imputs and everything looks very professional. Within 10 minutes I had this hooked up to satellite, a very old DVD changer, 2 Polk speakers, a subwoofer, the fm and am antennas, and was surprised how easy it was. I was unsure that the dvd changer with rca jacks would play on a hdtv using an extra hdmi cable but easy peasy it did. My old JVC receiver never came with a remote so it was great to change volume, turn it on and off, select source and adjust audio without getting up. So unless you need a boatload of gadgets I recommend this receiver as a replacement for just about any brand. Certainly no one in this price point can compete with both features and quality of manufacture....shu

2.0 out of 5 stars No USB Port, May 22, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality. Great value., March 7, 2014
Sounds really great. It's not really 165 watts of power per channel. That's just dynamic power. Some call it peak power or headroom power. The sustained power actually is 75 watts. I have a medium size living room and it gets plenty loud enough for me. I don't like the dialogue in movies to be unnaturally loud. I like it at about the same volume as someone talking or shouting.

I don't use the TV display. I find the display window on the receiver to be quite adequate.

$279.99 $199.88
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.