on May 2, 2013
The Denon AVR-X1000 is the successor to last year's 4-1/2 star rated Denon AVR-1713. Most features are the same as the AVR-1713. Like the AVR-1713, the AVR-X1000 is a 5.1-channel surround sound receiver that accepts a total of six input sources, plus TV audio as a seventh input source.

Over the past few years Denon has been gradually improving the look of their receivers. The AVR-X1000 has the look of a very high-end receiver, comparable to Marantz and Pioneer Elite receivers, yet it sells at a mid-range price.

What's new?

* The AVR-X1000 has a longer warranty (3 years) than the AVR-1713 (2 years).
* The speaker connections on the back of the AVR-X1000 are color coded for easier setup. Last year's model did not have color-coded speaker connections.
* The AVR-X1000 supports both AM and FM radio. Last year's AVR-1713 only supported FM radio.
* Both models support Apple Airplay, Internet radio, Sirius XM, and Pandora, but the AVR-X1000 adds support for Spotify, too.
* Both models support MP3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC audio formats. The AVR-X1000 adds support for the Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) as well.
* The AVR-1713 used up and down buttons to select the input source. The AVR-X1000 uses a more attractive dial on the left-hand side.
* The AVR-X1000 has updated setup software.
* Denon's list price for the AVR-X1000 ($499) is $50 higher than last year's AVR-1713 ($449).

Comparison with the step-up Denon AVR-X2000:

* The AVR-X1000 supports 5.1 audio, while the step-up AVR-X2000 supports 7.1 audio.
* The AVR-X1000 has 80 watts per channel, while the AVR-X2000 has 95 watts per channel.
* The AVR-X1000 does not support Ultra HD (4K) upscaling, but the AVR-X2000 does.
* The AVR-X2000 has more HDMI and analog audio input jacks than the AVR-X1000. They have the same number of digital audio input jacks.
* The AVR-X2000 supports one component video input, while the AVR-X1000 does not.

Comparison with the step-down Denon AVR-E300:

* Both models support 5.1 audio.
* The AVR-X1000 has 80 watts per channel, while the AVR-E300 has 75 watts per channel.
* The AVR-X1000 has a 3-year warranty, while the AVR-E300 has a 2-year warranty.
* The AVR-X1000 supports a zone 2 line out, while the AVR-E300 does not.
* The AVR-X1000 supports the high-resolution Audyssey MultEQ XT room correction software with 6-8 measurement positions, while AVR-E300 only supports the medium-resolution Audyssey MultEQ. Both models support Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Audyssey Dynamic EQ.
* The AVR-X1000 has better-quality speaker connections. The AVR-E300 has new "Easy Connect Speaker Terminals" which work best with bare speaker wire and seem aimed at novices.

I have two complaints about the AVR-X1000. First, it doesn't support Wi-Fi. The network connection requires Ethernet. For Wi-Fi, CNET likes the Onkyo TX-NR626. Second, it is stingy with its digital audio inputs. The AVR-X1000 has only one coaxial and one optical digital audio input. By comparison, the competing Yamaha RX-V475 and Yamaha RX-V575 each have two coaxial and two optical digital audio input jacks (but fewer total device inputs). Aesthetically, however, Onkyo and Yamaha receivers have a utilitarian look that can't compete with this year's Denon line.

UPDATE: The 2014 successor to this receiver, the Denon AVR-X1100W, will have built-in 802.11g Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HDMI 2.0, and support 7.2 channel surround sound. The price is expected to be $499.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 1, 2013
I run a 5.1 living room based setup with 4 Klipsch WB-14s, 1 Klipsch WC-24 and a Power Sound Audio XV15 sub. All of my gear is HDMI, as is all of my connections because I have no legacy gear. This receiver seems like it was custom built for me, as I don't need or want 7.2 channel capability or video processing (paying for features that I will never use bothers me to no end), but I demand Audyssey XT.

The onscreen display is very nice. Everything is laid out where you would expect it to be, and you can rename sources, hide sources, assign inputs, adjust lip sync ect... with ease. The volume display is overlayed on the screen through HDMI, and with the press of the info button, you can see a quick overview of things like volume, current input, incoming signal type, outgoing speaker layout to play that signal, and current sound mode.......Sweet! The front panel display can be dimmed or turned off completely. If you do turn it off, it will comeback on for a few seconds when you change sources or sound modes, then it goes out again.

I used my tried and true 8 point Audyssey XT calibration approach, as this is not my 1st Audyssey XT receiver, as I previously had an Onkyo 709 that failed one too many times. The end result of Audyssey XT is something that has to be heard. The biggest improvements are in the bass and the entire sound field envelopment. If you are new to Audyssey, the first thing you will ask yourself is "Where did my bass go?" This is because you are used to hearing a subwoofer that is A) running too hot, and B) bloated with a 50-60hz room hump. Once you get over that, you will start to hear "layers" of bass that you have NEVER heard before in your room. Sounds that used to just be one loud, muddy "boom", are now detailed, tight and powerful. Dynamic EQ defaults to ON after you run Audyssey, but Dynamic Volume is a user choice at the end of calibration and defaults to OFF, which is how I run. For those of you new to Audyssey, and heck, even if you're not, there is a great user guide and I highly suggest you read it to get the most from Audyssey at: avsforum[dot]com > avs forum > audio > receivers > "Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #1)

The X1000 is very quick to lock onto a signal through HDMI. With DirecTV channel 212 (NFL Network) there is often 3 different types of audio signals in rapid succession during commercials. DD 5.1 / DD 2.0 / PCM 2.0 and the X1000 has no delay whatsoever when the change occurs. Not all receivers can say this, trust me.

This brings me to how the unit applies a sound field mode to an input signal. You can set the X1000 to use a specific decoder per source, and it will always use the same decoder once set. For example, I use "Dolby Digital" to decode DD 5.1, Dolby PLII Movie to decode DD 2.0 and Dolby PLII Music to decode PCM 2.0 on my "DirecTV" input. After set up, you just run through all of your inputs and set the sound field decoder to what you want for each audio type, and it will remember that setting and apply it each time its needed..........Now, the funky part of changing the sound field type. When you are ready to set a sound field mode, you of course need to have the source playing some kind of audio and you then use the remote and you have to press AND HOLD one of the 4 green/red/blue/yellow buttons marked music/movie/game/pure and after a couple of seconds of HOLDING down the button, the GUI will display the various sound fields that can be applied to the current audio, and you simply highlight the one you want and press select and the unit will now apply that decoder/sound field to that audio type on that input until you change it. The holding of the button slipped passed me at first, and my blood PSI began creeping into the meltdown zone very quickly. Once I figure it out, all was good.

The only quirk I have found is that while watching DirecTV in "Native ON" the X1000's volume display would sometimes disappear when I changed between channels that had different video revolutions, like with FOX (720p) to NBC (1080i). This was almost a deal breaker, but I was advised to turn DirecTV's settings to "Native OFF", and set only 1080i & 1080p as my TVs resolutions so that the DirecTV receiver would do all of the scaling and it 100% fixed the issue. I prefer to let my 60" Sammy do all of the video scaling and processing, but if I'm being honest, I see no difference in picture quality by letting the DirecTV receiver do all of the work now...........Plus channels change faster now too. Also, be aware that this unit is not 4K compatible, so if you are an early adopter and plan to upgrade to it, then you need to look elsewhere.

This unit is a network receiver that needs to be connected via Ethernet cable to the network, and has no wireless option. Also, the firmware update is performed via the network with no USB option. I don't have any internet access where my receiver lives, so what I did was I bought a 50' Ethernet cable for $6 here on Amazon and I plugged it in the back of my receiver, and then coiled it away out of sight. That way, in the event a firmware update is released I can just uncoil the cable and plug it into my modem and perform the update. I have wireless apps (Amazon & Pandora) in my TV and BD player, so I have zero need for my receiver to be connected too. Be aware of this if you are going to rely on the X1000 as a streaming source, or want to connect to your network.

Amazon probably hates me, but in the last 45 days I have had the following receivers in my house trying to replace the 709: Onkyo 525 (Terrible UI and sound. YUCK) and Harman Kardon 1710 (Just kind of weird. Not terrible sound, but not close to the X1000) If you need 7.2 or video upscaling from analog equipment to HDMI, then I doubt you're still reading this and this machine is not for you. However, if you are like me and don't need, or even want either, then you can not beat this receiver. It sounds incredible, looks great and is easy to use. It seems to run cooler than my 709, and is shallower in depth (13") so it fits better in my entertainment center. The 3 year warranty is great piece of mind, and tells me just how confident Denon is in the IN-Command line of receivers.

Update 6/25/2013:

My X1000 developed an issue with audio and video dropping out/freezing on one of the HDMI inputs. I connected the cable directly to my TV for an extended period of time and had no issues. As soon as I reconnected it to the X1000's HDMI input the issues returned. Amazon let me return the unit for a full refund and they even paid the return shipping too........Very cool Amazon! Although I really liked the X1000 and could have happily received another one, I ended up going another direction and I bought a Harman Kardon AVR 2700.

I'm guessing that my issue was a one off problem and can happen with any brand. Luckily for me it happened quickly so I could simply return it to amazon, but Denon's 3 year warranty would also have fixed it although it would have been more of a hassle. I lowered my rating to 4 stars, but it really is a 5 star receiver. If I were going to buy one, I would see if there are other reports of HDMI issues, and if I'm the only one, I would jump all over it!

Update 8/24/2013:

The issue that I blamed on the X1000 turned out to be my HDMI cable. I guess the X1000 was just a little more sensitive than my Sammy TV in regards to the defective cable. I have revised my rating back to 5 stars.......Sorry if this lead anyone in another direction.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 22, 2013
Was debating with X2000 and X1000, realized for my room configuration I dont need a 7.1 configuration & also 4K scaling not needed.

Decided to go with AVR-X1000 and the bet paid off, I have connected following devices

(1) Apple TV
(2) Comcast Cable
(3) Sony Blu Ray
(4) Media server

Hooked up to 5.1 surround (pre-wired) in-ceiling speakers.

My favorite feature is Audyessy setup, amazing calibration technique and works like a champ.

Very vivid sounds and dialog. I'm using polk in-cieling surround speakers, osd directed field center & polk subwoofer.

High quality sound reproduction, even at low volume very clear bass, tone and voice levels.

I would highly recommend it.
on September 13, 2013
I shopped around for a AVR for about a week. I had an Onkyo that got so hot I thought it was going to catch fire, and an older Kenwood that couldn't handle my 4 ohm speakers, plus my need for HDMI was growing so I really wanted something new. I considered Denon, Yamaha and Sony. Despite Cnet's claim that the Sony STR-DN840 was the best AVR in the price range, the reviews about the GUI left me thinking I'll had wished I waited for an upgraded version. I also couldn't find anywhere that said it would support 4 ohm speakers. The Yamaha RX-V673 was another choice, but reviews seemed to talk about having to send it back for service more often than not. In fact at the moment Amazon has the item under review.

It's really a daunting task to choose one of these receivers. Each manufacturer has multiple versions to meet varying price ranges, and not to mention the previous year's models are also still available. Multiply that by the number of manufacturers, and you have a dozen or more receivers to choose from. I didn't want to spend more than about $500, so I at least was able to cross off a few higher models. I don't have a 7.1 speaker setup, so I didn't really need/want a 7.1 receiver. (If I had chosen a 7.1, I would have bi-amped my front speakers.) I wanted it to be networkable, I didn't need wifi (my router is 3 feet from the receiver) or bluetooth (with it plugged into the network, why would I need bluetooth?) And I didn't need any of the features the other Denons had over the X1000, so it really was a perfect fit. It's also the only receiver that at least says it will work with 4 ohm speakers, which it does.

I have a pair of Acoustic Research A40s for my front left and right speakers, and really wanted to keep them and not have to buy more speakers just to satisfy the 6 or 8 ohm requirement of the receiver. So far the Denon powers them just fine, with no heat issues or shutting down like the Onkyo and Kenwood did. In fact these speakers have never sounded so good. Using the self-calibration process with the little microphone is very easy, and even revealed that I had my two surround speakers out of phase (the positive and negative terminals reversed.)

This receiver has some serious balls, too. I cranked up some music once I got everything configured and I was shocked at how good everything sounded. And that was just playing Pandora. I played Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells in DTS and just stared with a silly grin. Everything was sooo muted before with the old receivers, and I knew it, but nothing I did to them would bring the sound alive.

The most impressive feature of the X1000 though, is the web interface. You can control everything through the web interface and not have to fiddle with the remote. Or there's even an app for your phone so you can control the volume and mute and inputs and so on. But I find the web interface the best. Plus you can make changes to the speakers and sound settings (and most all other settings) with the web interface too. So I can kick back in my laz-y-boy with my laptop and adjust things in comfort. Not that it required a lot of adjustments in the first place.. but I do like to fiddle. Just not with tiny buttons on a remote I have to point at something. At least for the general on/off, volume up/down and mute, the remote is well laid out, and in general is fairly concise. I like that with the press of one button on the remote or in the web interface (which works even when the power is off) I can have Pandora or internet radio stations playing, without needing to turn the TV on or navigate any menus.

The Denon AVX-1000 is an excellent choice for the price range. It sounds incredible and its networking features are intuitive and useful. I'm very pleased with my choice.
on August 1, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the 3rd networked AV receiver I have used in the last 3 years, and this one is the best so far. Bottom line is, it has all the inputs and outputs required to attach all your modern wired devices, and the networking works just fine, though you may experience a few hiccups along the way, but the killer feature of this box is Audyssey MultiEQ XT. My last receiver, an Onkyo TX-NR515, had the lowest level of Audyssey, and that provided a noticeable step up from my receiver before that, which didn't have such technology, but this higher flavor of Audyssey produces a quality of sound that is truly wonderful. There is definitely a richer, immersive sound environment that just makes every show better. It's like this: with the basic Audyssey, I could hear which speakers the sound was coming from, and it was adjusted nicely. With MultiEQ XT, I can still hear each speaker balanced nicely, but it also seems like I can hear sound coming from many other points within the room. The only term that comes to mind is 3D. It's like you are inside an environment of sound. I would say, if you are looking for a new receiver, start by looking for this technology.

That being said:

Pros
1) Incredible sound quality (assuming you have at least a 5.1, high quality speaker set up). The MultiEQ XT uses a microphone to gather sound input. The basic Audyssey has you place it in one spot, where you sit, and then it adjusts each speaker's output. The MultiEQ XT takes measurements from 6 ( or was it 8?) positions all over the room. Then it adds all kinds of filters and other wizardry that produces an 3D environment of sound. The subwoofer works differently, and better, using this.
2) Workable, useable network features. Found my media servers no problem
3) A decent set of network services (Pandora, Spotify, etc.)
4) Easy set up
5) Smartphone app, that's a bit hard to figure out, but once you do, it is useable

Cons
1) Zone 2 is NOT powered. This may have been a deal killer for me if I didn't have a second AV Receiver available to use just for zone 2, but if you need zone 2, this receiver only supplies the signal, you need to power it
2) Glitchy photo viewer. I'm hoping future upgrades fix it, but the photo viewer it comes with doesn't recognize some image file name (not extension) formats and either says "not compatible" and doesn't play them, says "not compatible" but does play them, or goes into an endless loop between error message and file selection that requires me to unplug the receiver from the network to stop

If this is your first network receiver, this one is as good as you'll need. If it didn't have Audyssey MultiEQ XT, though, I'd say keep looking around for one with either more features or a better price, but if the others don't have Audyssey MultiEQ XT, get this one.

One other thing I want to mention is that this is DLNA compatible, which is something not mentioned much in any of the descriptions or instructions. What this means to me is that I can set up my Samsung SIII, or any other DLNA devices, to act as a media server. Once I discovered this, I used my phone's settings to match it up with the Denon and then my phone showed up in the list of media servers.

I also want to say why I didn't give it 4 stars. One is relative. My Onkyo came with a greater variety of network providers, including my favorite, Slacker. I think Denon could do better. Other reasons include, unpowered zone 2, which could be a big one for some people, plain quality on screen user interface, an Android app that, while it works, does not follow a lot of design conventions and takes a while to really figure out, and the glitchy image viewer. None of these, however, are exclusive to Denon. Most other companies have some or all of the same faults.

Despite all that, it is the incredible sound that the Audyssey MultiEQ XT produces that makes this a strong choice, especially for your first networked receiver, or if you are upgrading from an older receiver and you have some good quality speakers in a 5.1 configuration.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
PACKAGING

The Denon arrived in the usual separate size box and was surprisingly heavy. When I opened it, the packaging came out easily. Styrofoam surround lifts up and the receiver is neatly packed in a foam bag with a separate power cable. A small box contains a microphone for audeysey, a built in tool for auto surround sound setup assistance, and the remote that comes with batteries. Documentation includes a quick set up guide in three languages, a CD and various papers including warranty and disclaimers.

The CD contains PDF versions of the quick setup guide and a full manual. You can register your receiver online on the Denon web site.

LOOKS

It's quite compact with minimalist controls on the front. It's really designed for the digital age and has limited analog inputs in the back. Almost everything is HDMI. The face has a couple of large knobs, the left knob for toggling through (inputs) connected devices, the right side knob is the volume. There are some discreet buttons under the LED display along with a few quick inputs for a USB portable media player or storage device, microphones, and headphones. It makes for a nice, uncluttered unit.

SETTING UP

The first step to setting up properly is to plug the recievers HDMI out into your TV/Monitor and select setup from the menu. It will take you through hooking up your speakers. The receiver has the twist clamping speaker connectors which take speaker wire for center, front and rear speakers. A single RCA phono type connector is used for the subwoofer.

Subwoofer

I had a slight problem here. I have a Polk sub with twin RCA or wire connectors and I wasn't sure how to set this up. With my Yamaha amp both left and right channels plugged directly into the Polk sub left and right. After checking online it turns out that you only need the one plug for the sub.

I used the automatic speaker configuration tool which requires the included mic. During the setup you can select up to eight seating positions where people will listen around the room and the amp will cycle through tests for each speaker and each listener position and auto configure your speakers. It does a good job and seems better than the Yamaha on this front.

Now, to access all the features of this unit you need to be able to plug the receiver into your network. It is not Wifi enabled and a cable is not included so you will have to supply your own RJ45 network cable and connect it to your hub or router. Once this is done, your receiver can access online radio stations and can be controlled via your computer or Android iOS phone or tablet. The app is available from either Apple's App store or Android's Play store.

Using the Amplifier

The receiver displays information on your TV at Standard definition so it looks quite blocky. If you connect via the Internet, you get a simple web page that gives you control of all the features on the unit. I went to the play store and downloaded their app. The reviews were not that promising but the software ended up being better than I expected and my preferred way to access the receiver, especially from outside the room.

My previous receiver is a 80W per channel Yamaha which is larger, looks quite cluttered and does not have networking capabilities.
Another nice feature is the second zone, so you can hook up a second set of speakers in another room and control those from the single receiver. You can also control the second zone through the phone app. So pretty convenient when you need to answer the phone and you need to mute the unit in another room.

Firmware upgrades require the receiver to be hooked up to a wired internet enabled network. You can't download to a generic USB storage device like a memory stick and have it update off of that.

USB Media Players.

I tried several USB media players. iPod, iPhone, Android Galaxy S3 phone with 4.1 OS (Jellybean) and a Philips GoGEAR Ariaz. In theory it should just be plug in and play with all of them.

iPod and iPhone worked flawlessly. Just plug in the phone via USB and you can play the music files directly using the remote.

Philips GoGEAR Ariaz initially didn't work. I found that the Ariaz has two USB storage modes MTP and MSC. The Denon AVR-X1000 reads the device in MSC mass storage device mode. I had to go to the settings menu in the Ariaz, select Connect PC setting and MSC. Then the Denon Recognized the media stored on the Ariaz and played media just like the Apple products.

Android. For some reason Android removed MSC USB mode from 4.1 to stop phone vendors putting tiny app partitions on their phones with mass storage. But this means that the Denon can't recognize the media stored on a 4.1 Android device.

Versions of Android prior to 4 give you the option of either MTP or MSC. I'm still waiting for AT&T to release an update to 4.2 and will update this review if they bring MSC back.

NOTE: There are apps that will enable MSC on rooted Android phones. I haven't tested this.

LISTENING

First impression, my old Yamaha is louder and sometimes sounds richer though the Denon has a more distinct and more crisp bass; I can hear more definition in the bass tones. For the first few minutes I was a tiny bit disappointed but I feel that with the Audeyseyy I am getting a more faithful reproduction of the music. I also noticed that the sub doesn't sound like it's straining and has more punch without resonating or booming as much as it used to. Since I listen to a broad range of music, pop, classical, rock and metal I feel it's a good all round receiver and the Audeyseyy really does do a pretty good job of setting up a good sound that envelops the listener.

CONCLUSION

This is a very nice receiver that is best suited to someone who is pretty current with their electronics. You will need a modern set of audio and video equipment that uses HDMI to get the most out of this system. It really only has two analog inputs in the back and 5 HDMI and one fiberoptic digital input. So if you have accumulated a lot of older AV products and don't intend to upgrade soon, this may not be for you. With external storage devices and media players, you need to make sure yours support the MSC mass storage mode. So far only my phone with Android 4.1 has this option disabled.
on February 23, 2014
I have always stuck with Denon AVRs because I find they sound great and offer a good amount of quality at a fair price. This receiver is no different. I am able to hook up 5 HDMI devices (plus one front) and use the receiver to pass/switch the video through using a single HDMI connection to my TV. This completely simplifies input A/V selection because audio and video are all tied together.

I did use ARC (audio return channel) for a while and it worked fine but I did not like the fact that when using ARC, this receiver must remain in a higher power standby mode and must enable HDMI controls. While these features can be nice for some setups, I prefer to use my Harmony remote to handle all the input/source changes. And I don't see the need for the higher power standby and always on HDMI pass-through if I don't need it. Others may find those feature are a must though. I ended up using the single optical/TV input and that worked just as well since I barely use the smart TV sources but when I do, it all works great.

The networking feature is great for listing to your iPhone/iPod Touch or iTunesover the network (Airplay) with no cable required. I was not aware of the feature when I purchased it but once I discovered it I was so glad it had this feature. A few vendors have been licensed from Apple to use AirPlay and this lets you re-direct any iPhone/iPods music directly to the receiver. its kind of a little bit of magic to walk into my home with my iPod playing what I was just listening to in the car and with just the press of a button on the iPhone, its now playing on my AVR. I really love this feature. The network feature also let you play tons of internet radio directly. You can also use the "free" Pandora service and there is also Spotify and Sirious support for those pay services. And finally, the network allows you to configure the AVR through a web interface which is certainly nice and much faster than using a remote. Especially when you are going through the initial learning curve.

As far as sound quality, I was glad to finally be able to take advantage of MultEQ for better a better more accurate sound field. I very much liked the ability to use Audyssey setup using a microphone. After proper calibration (and disabling Dynamic EQ) I noticed a great improvement in surround sound production. Surround sound seemed much more accurate and surround sounds seemed to come from the proper area and not just from the speakers. This receiver produces a good amount of volume (about 80W per channel over 5 channels) and will be usable in a moderate to large living room and be plenty loud without over driving it.

The general sound quality is very good and certainly compares well to my previous Denon AVR even though on paper the AVR-2800 seemed a bit better but with the better MultEQ I would say my speakers sound better now. But with all the advantages of HDMI switching, AirPlay, new sounds modes (Pro-Logic II, Dolby True HD) as well as the ability to process 7+ PCM streams directly from HDMI, I feel like the switch to all digital/all HDMI setup was a good choice.

Its actually a great choice as long as you have nearly ALL MODERN/HDMI sources. This AVR was designed for connecting a number of HDMI AV sources to a TV. It is limited and a bad choice if you have a number of non-HDMI sources you want to set up. It only 2 digital audio inputs (OPT and COAX) and 2 analog audio inputs. The nice things is that you can use these on any of the 5 inputs so if you have a TV that has OPT you will be all set. But if you want to drive an old turn table and a tape deck, you might look for a receiver with more analog inputs.

Some Issues Despite my High Rating
===========================

Documentation needs some work to explain the interactions and setup of MultEQ, Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume. Bottom line, Dynamic Volume is a better form of dynamic compression for not bothering the neighbors. Dynamic EQ adjusts the frequency response and volume moment-by-moment to re-create reference level in any room setup. To me, its just working a bit too hard and just does not sound natural. It also seem to increase the low-end and overall brightness so it may be enjoyed by those that love "explosions" and high dynamics range in movies. But to me, you should not need to dynamically alter the frequency response if you speakers are set up right in the first place. That being said, I do use the dynamic volume at night to reduce the dynamic range and I actually prefer a little less "boom" in movies because I think they tend to over blow the dynamic range just to make the sound "pop".

I am not a fan of the "Dynamic EQ" feature and the settings default to turning this ON when you enable MultEq which I do want enabled all the time. And, because the documentation was poor, I needed to read up on the internet just to figure out why I did not like "Dynamic EQ" but I did enjoy the benefits of "MultEq". its all a bit confusing but once you understand these features and when they do, you improve you sound quite a bit.

The Network feature must be "Wired". This is just out-dated. All devices today should have wireless built-in.

HDMI Digital Audio Versus Optical/Toslink
===============================
Just because I spent a lot of time trying to figure out if/why HDMI audio may be better than using my older optical connections, I figured I would include this next section. I was a bit worried about going with all HDMI audio until I better understood the differences.

Because HDMI has higher bandwidth then Optical (Toslink) for audio, optical connections may be limited to using Bitstream so that the receiver can DECODE and produce the 5+ channels of audio for DTS/Dolby. Since optical connections simply do not have the bandwidth to send all those channels of uncompressed PCM. I have read that optical only supports 2 channels of PCM and cannot send 5 channels of uncompressed PCM. So, if you have a receiver connected via optical, you may need to set your source device to "Bitstream" to get all the channels of DTS and Dolby Digital.

So, a simple rule of thumb may be this.... If you are using Optical/Toslink go with "Bitstream" option from your source device. If you are using HDMI into your receiver go with "PCM" to ensure the highest quality uncompressed sources are used when available. There is a lot more to this but HDMI just give you more high-bandwith options than optical so it seems to always be an upgrade in terms of digital audio.
on October 10, 2013
This is my second Denon receiver purchase. I bought my first one about 10 years ago and desperately needed the upgrade. My video switching on my old one went out plus i wanted hdmi inputs and a lot of power so I chose this one. I especially like the audessey speaker calibration. It is a very detailed calibration. My speakers sound better than ever. Im running 5.1 so this one had plenty of power and inputs for my PS3 and HD cable. I mostly watch blu ray and HD channels and the sound is great. Another thing I like is that it does tend to regulate sound spikes such as commercials that are much louder than the show. I would always recommend a Denon for superior sound and high quality. I can't speak for the introductory models, but I have been very happy with the mid range models. I haven't really tried the AirPlay yet, but I have connected it to the router for a firmware update and everything works great. I also like the Denon app for my phone. You can control the volume and other settings with your phone in case you misplace the remote. Plus, a great price and fast shipping through Amazon.com.
on April 18, 2014
I haven't had this receiver long enough to give it five stars. A couple of comments based on other reviews. First, this unit definitely doesn't have wifi. It connects to your router by an ethernet cable or a separately purchased wireless bridge. I'm a spotify user. There is Spotify on the reciever, but it doesn't seem to include spotify radio. I stream spotify radio to the receiver from my iphone or Mac over airplay to get around this problem.
The Denon iphone app works fine on this receiver, as do third party remote control apps. I updated the firmware on the receiver as soon as I got it connected to my router (easy to do from the setup menu - takes 20 minutes). Once connected to the home network, no additional parts are needed for smartphone or tablet control. The Denon app is free.
The AVR-X1000 is a great networked receiver for people who have all HDMI video connections. It is not a good choice for people with older equipment that rely on component connections for quality video.
The automatic setup is straightforward and similar to other AV receivers. The sound seems first rate, as one would expect from a Denon product. I don't believe there's good reason to buy a more expensive Denon receiver unless there's specific functionality that is specifically desired. This unit has plenty of power to play loud, and plenty of functions to keep most hobbyists amused.
on March 4, 2014
I think this was an excellent choice as the product is simply super. An added bonus is my friends and neighbours are envious. Setup was easy and the sound is excellent. I enjoy especially the iPhone app that provides me the opportunity to change stations without searching for the remote and also without opening the cabinet door. Overall ... I would definitely recommend this to others.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations