What is this?
The Denon AVR-X2000 is a home theater receiver designed for home theaters with a strong digital makeup.

Why do I need this?
Do you have a Blu-ray player? Then you need a home theater receiver. Home theaters have been an essential part of homes for the last 10 years. From 5.1 to 9.3 channels, a home theater can offer everything from a movie theater, to an audio sanctuary, to an arcade, to even an internet connected office with video conferencing capabilities. However, before any of that is to occur, you need the brains of a system, and the receiver is the mind of a home theater.

What do I have connected to this receiver?
Here's what is connected to my receiver.
Audio

Video
CBL/SAT: Comcast Xfinity HD DVR
DVD: (Empty)
Blu-Ray: Sony VAIO VGX-TP20E Home Theater PC
Game: Xbox 360 (Second Generation)
Media Player: Playstation 3 (Second Generation)
Front HDMI: (Empty)
USB: External Hard Drives/iPhone 4S/iPad Minis

How did the setup go?
The setup is broken down into two stages, external and internal. The external stage simply is connecting your input devices to the receiver with your speakers. Fairly simple given we had banana plugs for our speakers and everything else was HDMI. I do have to mention, if you don't have your cables pre-labeled, no worries, Denon thought well of you and decided to add some cable labels in the box for you. How nice of them

Now, for the internal setup, which is rudimentary at best. It involves a 20-minute process of testing all of your connections and calibrating your speakers. The speaker calibration process, or as it's now known in my house, cats on acid, involves setting up your microphone in 8 different listening locations, while the receiver plays a continuous chirping sound from each speaker. Thus gauging the distance and output signals required for optimal sound. My advice is this...skip this step and prepare to spend some time calibrating your speakers. Seriously, the hour or two you spend doing this should provide an added benefit, plus, if you screw up beyond all belief, you can always plug in the mic and calibrate it that way.

How does it sound?
I have problems reviewing sound quality of receivers, mostly because the sound quality of the receiver depends wholly on the makeup of the components. This is why I have listed the components of my home theater above to give you some form of reference.
As for my home theater, once I completed the calibration phase and got the speakers to the preferred levels, I ran the standard fare of sound testing. First up was The Dark Knight on Blu-ray being played through the PS3. I set the receiver to the most suitable sound mode, DolbyHD. The test scene was Chapter 19, or you might remember it as the scene where Harvey Dent is being transported and the Joker is chasing him with the semi-truck. I always use this scene because it has the best mixture of music, dialogue, and explosion action. The sound processing was pretty impressive. I will note, that during the process of reviewing this receiver, I went through this scene about 15 times because I had to modify the levels of the surround channels. However, once properly set, the channel differentiation was impressive and deep. The Tumbler crash scene is where you want to focus on as you can notice chunks of debris landing all around you. That let's me know that for movies, this receiver is set.

Now, for music, I set it to my HTPC, cranked on Spotify...."WAIT, doesn't this receiver have Spotify loaded on it, why are you using your computer then?" Um, I ask the questions, I will get to the Spotify feature next, thanks. Anyway, Spotify on the home theater PC was up and going. This is where I began running the gamut of sound modes trying to find the most filling from my system. Again, this is where trying to review sound is kind of silly. I prefer my music to be played out of all five channels with a preference to have the speech portion coming from all five channels. Some people prefer the speech to come from the center channel while the music comes out the two front speakers in a true purist Stereo form. For me, I set the receiver to Matrix, and was satisfied.

How well does the Pandora & Spotify streaming feature work?
The idea of streaming your music purely from your receiver seems easy and noble enough. However, it's the execution of this feature that makes you stick to traditional means. Here is the issue I've been having since the first day of operation. I would go to either the Media Server or Internet Radio modes, and instantly the word wonky comes to my vocabulary. I either have problems with serious lagging or connection failures. So is this an issue with the internet connection or with the firmware. I have this receiver connected to an AC bridge with Gigabit ports. I have this bridge connected to a home theater PC that performs exceptionally well with this bridge. So I can't say it's an issue with not enough bandwidth going to the receiver. I'm hoping this is a firmware issue that can be addressed in an update release. Until then, I'm reserved to using my HTPC for my streaming purposes.

How well does the AirPlay feature work?
Not going to be deterred by the underwhelming performance of the streaming features, let's check out how well AirPlay performs. Let's start off with my iPhone, I use my iPhone for most of my musical delivery. Bringing up Spotify, choosing a song, tap the album cover to bring up the song menu, from there, you should see a rectangle and triangle symbol to the right of the volume bar, good, now activate your AirPlay feature. Hey look at that, it comes up. Playing around with it for a few minutes, it works okay, but it still comes off as in beta mode than ready for wide release. For example, looking at the song time counter, it seems to be reading 20 minutes and 55 seconds into a song, which is bothersome since the song is only 5 minutes and 11 seconds long. Little snags like this can be cleared up with possible firmware releases. So I'm not going to knock it a lot. Just in case you were wondering, for music purposes, you can bring up Pandora and obviously iTunes/Podcasts.

As for movies go, nope. Moving on.

How well does the mobile remote app work?
Here's where the receiver shines, or at least the app does. The receiver might be getting four stars, but the remote app by itself it worth 5 stars itself. Let's cover the basics, yes, you can fully control your receiver using your iPhone, as there isn't a dedicated iPad app, unless you use the iPhone app on the iPad. Like I said, you can control most if not all of the receiver functions, and then some. The first thing you are going to want to do with the app is adjust the shortcuts. Hold down the input area, and a scroll menu comes up for you to choose each of the 8 shortcuts you prefer to have access to. Next up is the audio modes feature, this is the easiest way to access your audio modes as with the stand-alone remote, you can't always access all of the audio modes. The remote app is the quickest hack and get-around to that problem. Now here is where the app proves itself. Do you have a NAS or a media library in your home? Do you have an Xbox or PS3? Go ahead and check the devices tab and you will notice that the Xbox 360 is labeled there. (The PS3 can be added by you have to manually enter the IP address of the PS3.) You can then access your NAS or media library from your phone. Welcome to the 21st. century.

Are there any features missing that should be added?
Yes, would it really kill electronic makers to add Wi-Fi or Bluetooth capabilities to their device? Not every home theater is located where the Internet was installed. For my home, the Internet was installed in what is now my youngest son's room, because it's an old house, that's where it had to go. However, my home theater is in my living room. Having to utilize a bridge is kind of annoying, but I make do. Bluetooth would be nice to utilize for the remote feature, again though, I make do with what I have for.

Are there any comparable models?
Let's just run down the list of other models you could look at...
Pioneer: Elite VSX - 70
Yamaha: RX - A730
Onkyo: TX - NR626

I chose these three receivers based on model level, price point, and feature set. All four receivers, with the AVR - X2000 included have pretty much the similar feature listing. Whether or not how each performs depends on the individual testing. As price goes, they are all within $100 of the list price of the Denon model.

For the money, is it worth it?
Let's face reality here for a second. I know some people dream of having a home theater system where televisions pop out of fish tanks or speakers are mounted in 200 directions. However, about 95 percent of you are like me and live in a residential zone in a city. Meaning, your home theater capabilities are limited to zoning and noise ordinance laws. My last receiver was a Pioneer Elite VSX - 94. It was a $1,750 beast that was masterful in what it was built to do. However, I spent a lot of time watching movies with my remote in my hand, constantly turning it up and down to hear muted dialogue and turn down over rampant explosions. For all that money I spent, it was kind of wasted in the fact that I could never utilize it's full girth of abilities. It's like owning a Lamborghini in a city full of school zones. So if I had to make a suggestion for a home theater receiver, at this time, I would suggest the Denon AVR - X2000. Yes, the lack of streaming capabilities is annoying, but I also view it as harmless since I get the same features via other means, and with better performance. However, the remote app's abilities plus the processing abilities of this receiver make it quite clear that it could perform in most home theater situations.
review image review image
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 24, 2013
Verified Purchase
I run a 4.1 living room based setup with 2 HTD Level TWO towers, 2 HTD Level TWO surrounds and a Power Sound Audio XV15 sub. All of my gear is HDMI, as are all of my connections because I have no legacy gear, although I did run an optical digital cable from my Samsung TV to the X-2000 so I would not have to rely on ARC via HDMI for my TV's streaming apps.

The onscreen display is very nice. Everything is laid out where you would expect it to be, and you can rename sources, hide sources, assign inputs, adjust lip sync ect... with ease. The volume display is overlayed on the screen through HDMI, and with the press of the info button, you can see a quick overview of things like volume, current input, incoming signal type, outgoing speaker layout to play that signal, and current sound mode.......Sweet! The front panel display can be dimmed or turned off completely. If you do turn it off, it will comeback on for a few seconds when you change sources or sound modes, then it goes out again. I run my setup with the display off. There is an LED light on the front that turns red when the unit is off, and green when on.

I used my tried and true 8 point Audyssey XT calibration approach, as this is not my 1st Audyssey XT receiver, as I previously had an Onkyo 709 that failed one too many times. The end result of Audyssey XT is something that has to be heard. The biggest improvements are in the bass and the entire sound field envelopment. If you are new to Audyssey, the first thing you will ask yourself is "Where did my bass go?" This is because you are used to hearing a subwoofer that is A) running too hot, and B) bloated with a 50-70hz room hump. Once you get over that, you will start to hear "layers" of bass that you have NEVER heard before in your room. Sounds that used to just be one loud, muddy "boom", are now detailed, tight and powerful. Dynamic EQ defaults to ON after you run Audyssey, but Dynamic Volume is a user choice at the end of calibration and defaults to OFF, which is how I run. For those of you new to Audyssey, and heck, even if you're not, there is a great user guide and I highly suggest you read it to get the most from Audyssey at: avsforum[dot]com > avs forum > audio > receivers > "Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #1)

The X-2000 is lightning quick to lock onto a signal through HDMI. With DirecTV channel 212 (NFL Network) there are often 3 different types of audio signals in rapid succession during commercials. DD 5.1 / DD 2.0 / PCM 2.0 and the X-2000 has no delay whatsoever when the change occurs. Not all receivers can say this, trust me.

This brings me to how the unit applies a sound field mode to an input signal. You can set the X-2000 to use a specific decoder per source, and it will always use the same decoder once set. For example, I use "Dolby Digital" to decode DD 5.1, Dolby PLII Movie to decode DD 2.0 and Dolby PLII Music to decode PCM 2.0 on my "DirecTV" input. After set up, you just run through all of your inputs and set the sound field decoder to what you want for each audio type, and it will remember that setting and apply it each time its needed..........Now, the funky part of changing the sound field type. When you are ready to set a sound field mode, you of course need to have the source playing some kind of audio and you then use the remote and you have to press AND HOLD one of the 4 green/red/blue/yellow buttons marked music/movie/game/pure and after a couple of seconds of HOLDING down the button, the GUI will display the various sound fields that can be applied to the current audio, and you simply highlight the one you want and press select and the unit will now apply that decoder/sound field to that audio type on that input until you change it. The holding of the button slipped passed me at first, and my blood PSI began creeping into the meltdown zone very quickly. Once I figure it out, all was good.

The only quirk I have found is that while watching DirecTV in "Native ON" the X-2000's volume display would sometimes disappear when I changed between channels that had different video revolutions, like with FOX (720p) to NBC (1080i). This was almost a deal breaker, but I was advised to turn DirecTV's settings to "Native OFF", and set only 1080i & 1080p as my TVs resolutions so that the DirecTV receiver would always send a 1080i signal and it 100% fixed the issue. The X-2000's video processing is better than my Samsung TV's processing, as I have both Spears & Munsil 1/2 test discs, and the X-2000's "Analog Device" video processing chip (ADV8003) passes all of the de-interlacing and scaling tests with flying colors, and just whips the Sammy processor is terms of jaggies and ghosting, so I let it do all of the video processing for both DirecTV and Blu-ray (I set my BD player to output "original resolution", which outputs whatever is on the disc or app).

This unit is a network receiver that needs to be connected via Ethernet cable to the network, and has no wireless option. Also, the firmware update is performed via the network with no USB option. I don't have any internet access where my receiver lives, so what I did was I bought a 50' Ethernet cable for $6 here on Amazon and I plugged it in the back of my receiver, and then coiled it away out of sight. That way, in the event a firmware update is released I can just uncoil the cable and plug it into my modem and perform the update. I have wireless apps (Amazon & Pandora) in my TV and BD player, so I have zero need for my receiver to be connected too. Be aware of this if you are going to rely on the X-2000 as a streaming source, or want to connect to your network.

I have had the following receivers in my house trying to replace my fried Onkyo 709: Onkyo 525 (terrible UI and sound. YUCK) and Harman Kardon 1710 (just kind of weird, not terrible sound, but not close to the X-2000) and finally a Harman Kardon 2700 (see my review on that). The X-2000 sounds incredible, looks great and is easy to use. It seems to run cooler than my 709, and is shallower in depth (13") so it fits better in my entertainment center. The 3 year warranty is great piece of mind, and tells me just how confident Denon is in the IN-Command line of receivers.

I purposely waited 60 days to make this review, and if you are cross shopping any receiver to the X-2000, it's hard to imagine that for the money, there is a better receiver out there.....I know I didn't find one.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon May 23, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've been a big Denon fan for the last three years... after giving up on Sony after two-decades, I bought a lower-end Denon receiver for my office and was very happy with the unit. After three other Denon products, I began looking for a replacement for my aging Sony high-end home theater receiver. It was the last of my older equipment and the only component left that wasn't HDMI compatible.

Out of the box, it's an impressive unit... outstanding quality construction. The buttons and knobs all feel quite solid. The remote looks a bit too simple, however upon inspection I found that every function I really needed access to was accounted for. Setup was a breeze... plug the unit into a wall, connect it to your TV and the on-screen guide will bring you step-by-step through hooking the rest of it up. The Audyssey audio setup has you plug an included microphone into the receiver and place it in various listening positions (such as where people will be sitting on your couch). It then goes through a quick set of 'pulse' noises through each speaker to calculate levels and distances. This is done once per 'listening position', of which I only needed to set up two, so it was completed far quicker then the suggested 15-minutes. I later double checked the distances that the receiver came up with and found they were dead-on.

One thing I was concerned with out of the box was the barren rear of the unit... I'm much more accustomed to an obscene number of connections and ports on the back, but after hooking up all my equipment I found that there was plenty of places for all my components, and plenty of extra. Previous receivers I've owned may have had five different inputs for a single source, and you simply connect what you have available, and ignore the extras. This receiver skips redundant inputs by giving you all HDMI inputs, then offering a limited number of older connection types, all of which can be reassigned to any source. There is an Input Assign 'chart' in the settings menu that allows you to reassign any audio or video input... for example, the optical input is labeled 'TV Audio' on the back, but you can assign to any source, such as the CD player. Have a game system that uses three analog RCA-type wires (video, left audio, right audio)? Plug the video into the the DVD analog input, the audio into the CD analog inputs, and tell the receiver where to look for the signals in the Input Assign menu. So any labels on the back are nothing more then a reference to the default setting and every one of them can be reassigned to how you see fit. It's an incredibly versatile and easy to follow system.

The speaker setup allows you to connect five speakers in standard surround arrangement (center, two front, and two surround)... there's an additional two pairs of terminals that offer you an option of three different setups: A pair of front height or surround rear speakers for extending to 7.1 audio, or a pair of secondary speakers for placement in another room as a second zone. I opted for the rear surrounds and installed two additional speakers in my living room. The receiver immediately recognized my network and connected to my media server, so I was playing music within minutes. The album cover and song information is displayed on the TV while the song name is displayed on the receiver's display.

One thing I really like about this unit is how it works with my TV... I use to have everything run through my TV, and then the audio is fed separately to the receiver. If I wanted to watch TV using the receiver's audio, I would either have to mute the TV or turn off the audio in the options menu. Now, it's much simpler... all equipment runs through the receiver and the receiver decides what goes to the TV. With the receiver off, the receiver will allow a signal to bypass it and go to the TV (you can choose which signal in the options menu). If I'm watching TV and the receiver is off, the audio comes through my TV... if I turn the receiver on, the receiver automatically cuts the audio to the TV and directs it through the system's speakers. For me, that's exactly how I want it to work and my last receiver would not do.

I noticed you could control the receiver through a smartphone app. I figured it was a bit of a gimmick, as I've seen these apps before and they don't work very well. I installed it and tried it out, and to my surprise, it works great! Response to my selections are instant and I have one-touch access to the main power button, zone control, inputs, and the volume level/mute. This is a GREAT app if you set the system up with two zones, so you can control the receiver from another room.

Now, being considerably cheaper then my last receiver, this unit is missing a few features... first and foremost, a dedicate second zone (rather then having to choose between a second zone or 7.1 audio). You do have the option to send the signal out through the pre-outs on the back to an external amplifier, so all hope of using my kitchen's speakers are not lost. The display on the receiver itself is also a bit cramped... there's a single line for the source and audio type, so watching a blu-ray in DTS-HD Master Audio ends up displayed as 'DTS-HD MA B-ray'. This is probably a personal preference and most other people wouldn't care. A learning remote would have been nice, but like the other missing features here, I can't expect Denon to cram everything into this receiver without raising the price... they have to save something for the higher-priced models.

This unit is rated at 15w per channel lower then my last receiver, however the difference is not noticeable at all. This is likely because I have a powered subwoofer... the bass is not relying on the system's output power.

The one thing I am disappointed with is the lack of a switched outlet... I use to have my subwoofer and cabinet fans turn on automatically when the receiver was switched on. Over the last few years Denon has been using a trigger system in place of actual outlets that allows you to use an external switch to turn on components. Not as convenient, but it's cheaper for Denon and works just the same. This receiver has neither... if you want this simple feature, you have to jump up to the next model, the AVR-X3000, for an extra $250. Very disappointing, but I really can't complain too much as I was well aware of this fact before ordering.

Finally, my one and only true complaint about this unit, which cannot be dismissed by the unit's price tag, is the user manual. Aside from a very simple start-up guide, which provides minimal information, the only option you have is a PDF file on the included CD. If I want to check something real quick, I have to go to my computer, or pull out my laptop and bring up the manual. It's easy to browser through once you have it up, but for a receiver, I always want a hard copy that I keep in a draw in my entertainment cabinet for reference. The only option I have is to print the 225-page manual.

The next level up AVR-X3000 offered a couple of nice improvements that I considered... a trigger for turning on an external power source, a second HDMI output, and HDMI InstaPrevue, which allows you to see what's playing on other sources before switching to them. It also offered an additional 10-watts per channel and a few extra connectors for older components... neither of which I needed. Frankly, these improvements aren't significant enough for me. The only real step up is the Denon AVR-X4000 which is in a completely different league, with a price tag to match.

Denon has never failed to impress me, and this home theater receiver is just another example of their amazing line of home audio equipment. Considering the price, my minor complaints concerning the comparison to my last high-end receiver (that cost nearly double the price of this one) are easily overlooked. It's setup is simple enough for anyone to get amazing sound from their home theater, but offers complete control over the unit through its settings menu which would make any home theater tweaker very happy. For the price you absolutely can't beat it... this receiver is superb.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The first important aspect of this receiver is that it is 3D capable. If you're not aware, even top notch receivers which aren't will not pass your 3D signals along from 3D content channels to your 3D TV. While you can take those video signals straight to the TV, that sort of defeats the entire idea of transferring all the information ... picture and sound ... through your HDMI cable, as in doing that you would be bypassing your receiver and need to take the sound to the receiver through a separate cable of some sort.

This receiver is also ready for 4K media. It will be quite a while before 4K displays and media hit a price point that I'll bite at, so I can't report on that aspect of this receiver. I'm somewhat of an early adopter, but not to the point of wasting ridiculous amounts of money on early versions of technologies, when in a couple of years it will be less expensive, more mature, and more reliable. ;-)

The setup of this receiver is the most clear, easiest menu system I've yet seen on a receiver. Everything is unambiguously labeled so you don't have to learn the menu's little lingo to know what menu selections expose what set up option. The mike setup to allow the receiver to adjust its sound fields was easy, and it even detected that I had reversed the polarity on my center speaker by accident, resulting in a loss of power in providing sound for that channel. I quickly adjusted the speaker inputs into the back of the receiver and fixed that issue.

There are plenty of inputs, well labeled for all sorts of modern devices. I have a Sony 400 CD device, a Sony 400 DVD device, a Blu ray player, an older Toshiba DVR, the DirecTV box, a turntable, and a VCR. There were plenty of places to plug them in and keep them in labeled spots that made sense. As you setup your devices during the initial setup, the receiver even tells you where to place each device as you identify, and gives you a picture of the back of the receiver to clarify where it is telling you to plug it in. It couldn't possibly be more simple.

The remote is easy to use and well laid out. Additionally, Denon has an app to use your iPhone or iPad (or presumably iPod) as a remote control.

Finally, the most important element of a receiver: the sound. Sound quality is superb. There is plenty of power from the receiver, so the volume drives nicely to normal levels without pushing the volume up much on the receiver. The sound is of course balanced nicely after the set up. Surround sound really delivers, and this receiver adds my sub-woofer into the experience better than any previous one.

Highly recommended.
on April 21, 2014
For something positioned as a sophisticated, feature-rich A/V receiver that's ready for streaming connected content from various sources and that supports the latest formats and technologies, the AVR-X2000 is disappointingly lacking in refinement.

The iPhone/Android remote app (I've used both; they're virtually identical) is poorly designed and clumsy to use. It doesn't show track progress, regardless of source, and the Spotify functionality and navigation is a joke (you can't even start a Spotify radio station from a given song).

DLNA playback is frustrating and not worth the effort. You can't pause FLAC files while they're playing, which is absurd for a receiver of this price.

The receiver has no built in WiFi antenna, so in order to take advantage of its digital connectivity functions I literally had to move my modem/router to another location closer to the receiver so that I could hook up an ETHERNET cable to it. The alternative would have required purchasing additional equipment. For a $650 A/V receiver with a supposed emphasis on advanced digital capabilities and "future-proofing," this was another major letdown.

The Audyssey MultEQ XT room correction was one of the key features that factored into my choosing this receiver, but the result was underwhelming. While it did a nice job of smoothing out the bass response from my subwoofer, the highs are now overemphasized and somewhat harsh (I ran it three times and got the same result). There's no option to limit the Audyssey EQ to a certain frequency range/threshold, so to prevent listening fatigue I'm forced to reduce the treble under the Tone controls when playing at higher volumes, which largely defeats the purpose of using what's claimed to be a highly precise and effective room correction algorithm.

Also, for six months I couldn't watch movies from Netflix streaming in the Dolby Digital Plus surround format Netflix uses because of a bug with the receiver's firmware that made the audio sound distorted. It took them six months to issue a firmware update to fix it.

On the plus side, the setup is easy and the menus are clear. Another thing I like is that the unit powers on automatically if you start streaming music to it remotely via AirPlay. This is nice if I'm in the kitchen or something and want to play some music on the fly from my phone. However, at the end of the day, if you're considering buying this receiver because of its advanced capabilities to connect to various digital sources of content, you might want to look at some of the offerings from other brands which have focused on creating a more polished user experience.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 25, 2014
I'm not an audiophile expert. I cannot afford the best of the best, or even the better of the better. Like most I suppose, I rely on other "experts", and read their reviews before shelling out a precious "reasonable" allowance.

First, there's a ton of subjectivity going into an opinion on a set of speakers or an amplifier. Ultimately you have to sample a lot and learn to trust what YOU like. It's analogous to wine tasting or looking at art. Some fundamentals approach the objective I suppose. A paper tweeter (Bose) is not going to reproduce as pleasantly as a silk tweeter (Polk). Advertised power ratings are never equal. A speaker's wood cabinet will influence the tone of the sound; but even plastic soundsticks (Harmon Kardon) can reproduce sound nicely.

For context, I had been using a 100 WPC Pioneer amp from the mid 90's when 5.1 became all the rage. It was loud. It was a workhorse and survived many DJ gigs over the years. At home it powered mid-range Polk speakers and some Advents from the 70's. It was modestly "decent," I guess. Over the years I'd bring home "higher end" receivers but couldn't discern enough of a difference to warrant spending $600.00 + to replace.

This Denon changed that.

The separation of frequencies was dramatically improved and overall much clearer (not muddled together). I read a critique of this amp being too "bright" but I didn't find problem; it does reproduce nicely at the higher frequencies. In terms of "loudness" (if that's important to you) it was a very slow gain as I turned the volume knob, but finally it played plenty loud and I haven't needed to find its outer limits. I had little interest in the 7.1, as I'm more interested in music as opposed to "home theatre," but the change was so dynamic we found ourselves looking for old DVDs just to experience the sound. I hope it lasts as long as that Pioneer did.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I feel a new compulsion to upgrade the speakers.
on August 4, 2014
I recently decided to buy an additional AV Given that I already own two feature packed receivers (wifi, and Bluetooth) I chose the AVR-X2000 based on a great price point ($100 cheaper than the Onkyo TX-NR 626), and a long time curiosity about Denon

The X2000's Clean, Logical layout of the back panel made an immediate positive impression! Making the wire, and cable connections was much easier than on my Onkyo's. I set up the Audessy MultEQ® XT (an upgrade from the Audessy for the TX-NR626 and 828). It was simple, and worth the effort. It allows for optimizing the room for up to 8 seats.

My first test was On Pandora and CD's with a variety of Genres of music. The sound was good, but appeared to only have 2 channel Stereo, and Dolby Pro logic as listening mode options. I knew that other options should have been available. Nothing clearly addressed this. After playing around a little we figured it out! Apparently the full list of listening modes is only available after pressing, and holding either the Movie, or Music button down on your Remote. this will trigger a drop down menu of choices based on the signal/source you are listening to at that time. Once I figured this out, I soon found the Denon to have excellent Sound Quality and Flexibility.

I used "The Man of Steel" Blu-Ray Opening Scene to test the Home theater, Great Discrete sounds using Master HD 7.1 format. Ships flying around the room- engaging, explosions -impactful! Great SQ at a Great Value
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Denon AVR-X2000 is the latest mid-level entry to the rebooted In-Command X series. The series name may sound a bit like a cheesy sci-fi flick from the 50's but it does offer some nice features including video upconversion from analog to HDMI. In addition, Denon has included scaling to 1080p or 4k. Other positives include:

1) Clean, easy to use hook-up, with more than enough inputs to handle any reasonable
system set-up. Seven HDMI inputs add to the ease of use/hookup.
2) Solid build quality, not unusual for a Denon, although the two front knobs feel a bit
light/plastic.
3) Sleek clean front panel design with an easy access HDMI input.
4) Likewise the remote is not overcrowded but well laid out and easy to use.
5) Clean discreet sound to all channels...and after proper set-up, good surround imaging
and staging with film and music.

Negatives:

1) The need for a hardwired internet connection is a complete misfire. Especially, when you consider that many competitors offer similar units with wireless wifi...for less money. If this feature is of no consequence to you when considering an amp, fine...but considering how Denon touts the internet element so strongly in promoting this unit, it's a glaring omission.
Unless your router is located close to your existing equipment, the entire notion of using the AVR-X2000 for Pandora, internet radio or other network/online experiences is a total wash. Thus, you'll need to spend more dough on a hardwired wifi extender or bridge, to configure next your home theater system.

2) The "Audyssey " feature is a fairly sophisticated and cool concept....in theory. This feature measures the room via a provider microphone and automatically adjusts all the speakers for "optimal" performance. However, the experience we had using this feature resulted in a very harsh and compressed signal during playback as well as a unsatisfactory surround image. Your mileage may vary using this feature, but this was my experience.

3) As such the manual adjustment was the only to go, but unfortunately you can't actually adjust your speakers while viewing a film. You have to go into a Denon set-up program/menu which allows you to make settings and adjustments. Yet without the benefit of listening to a sound source while making the adjustments you're left to switch back and forth between the Denon menu and the audio source, trusting that you have made suitable adjustments. Some may consider this nit-picky but I've prefer to actually hear the speakers I'm tweaking WHILE I'm tweaking them.

4) Adding to the frustration was the digital user manual which others have mentioned. Yep, you have to load the CD on your laptop (or what have you) and scroll about looking for info rather than simply flipping to the page you want via a good ol' fashion booklet.

5) I placed a call to Denon customer service to see if some of the aforementioned issues/concerns were due to "operator error" due to my lack of familiarity with the unit but the rep I spoke to bluntly confirmed my findings. You may have a different experience but I was disappointed with the Denon rep's abrupt tone and seeming lack of interest in my questions.

This isn't my first rodeo with home theater amps/ systems, in fact, the first amp I purchased many years ago was a Denon AVR-810 and it certainly lived up to the brand's solid reputation. Moreover, sound reproduction is a subjective experience so who can say what one person would find amazing compared to a different set of unimpressed ears. That being said, although this unit is a solid performer, unlike some other reviewers, it certainly didn't blow me away. It's perfectly fine for your 5.1 or 7.1 surround set-up but given some of the negatives and the current price point I would rate it as a decent, but by no means, great buy.

Selecting the Denon over a similarly priced competitor, which cost less and offers the same or better features (wireless wifi anyone?) will likely come down to reputation and dependability...which are certainly worthwhile considerations, but if you have been using a similar surround set-up and you simply want to boost your current specs or add
additional features, the AVR-X2000 will get the job done, but not much more.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This 7.1 receiver is noteable for supporting the 4K Ultra HD format (3840x2160 or 2160p). It has 95W/ch and 7 HDMI inputs with 1 HDMI output. In addition to HDMI sources, it does have the capability to support two legacy video and audio inputs, and also has digital coax and optical audio inputs. Thankfully, most of these are fully configurable. Speaker terminals accept bare wire and will also accept banana plugs (which I used). It has internet radio and Pandora, Spotify, and SiriusXM streaming. Audyssey MultiEQ XT audio calibration. Apple Airplay. Analog video upconversion. 3D capability. Basically, almost all the features you need.

SETUP

Very straight forward. Inputs and outputs are clearly marked on the back. Once everything I had was connected, I went to Setup Assistant. This is a no muss no fuss setup guide to walk you through each step. If your setup requires using inputs labelled as a different source, you will have to exit and adjust the settings yourself. Again, the menus are straight forward and it is easy to do. For instance, I setup my Logitech Squeezebox media server under CBL/SAT because it has the digital coax--and all I had to do was change the input. This receiver has plenty of inputs so even if you have two gaming consoles let's say, you can easily commandere one of the other inputs and rename them. For each source, you can select what the video and audio input is going to be. Very, very flexible.

The setup assistant will walk you through the Audessey audio calibration. This unit features multiEQ XT which is a step up from the multiEQ and said to have higher resolution filters. Again, calibration is pretty simple: plug in the mic and then follow the prompts to allow the calibration to collect data for your listening positions. I have always found Audessey calibration to be excellent and much better than manually entering in levels and delays like in the old days of surround sound.

NETWORKING

In Win8, the AVR-2000 shows up as a device. Clicking on it turns up the control setup. Unfortunately, the user interface is not the best and response times are rather slow. Moreover, internet radio control is frustrating to use. You need to register an account with Denon's radio website. I tried to enter into favorites some of my favorite internet radio stations but for some reason they did not work. From the setup, you can enter in your Pandora or other account login. From the PC, you can control your receiver as well. All in all, this is an area that could use a lot of improvement.

PERFORMANCE

After about 30 minutes of setup, using this receiver was pretty flawless. Sound was excellent. This receiver has plenty of inputs for my devices and a few more for future devices. The only thing I wish it had was HD radio tuning (a feature of only the X4000) and better internet radio implementation. Other than that, the AVR-X2000 is an excellent 4k Ultra HD receiver.
on December 24, 2014
Verified Purchase
This receiver has all of the bells and whistles for your HD AV setup, but when the unit gets hot, the HDMI outputs to the TV, etc. flash/blink/flicker like crazy. And by hot, I mean what would be normal for an AV receiver. When in the open air (like sitting on the floor) it would not over-heat too quickly, but in my AV cabinet with ample clearance and standard ventilation, the receiver "boards" would heat up to the point that the outputs to the TV would fail and flicker/flash the picture to the HDTV. I ended up replacing it with the comparable model by ONKYO (NR636). Under the same environmental conditions, the ONKYO works like a champ. Disappointed in the Denon especially at that price point and product position. I was replacing a 1990's era Denon receiver so the past experience with their product line was positive.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations