VINE VOICEon June 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have owned a Denon AVR3312CI for almost exactly one year. It has been a great AVR, but when the opportunity surfaced to get this AVR-X3000 via the Amazon Vine Program, I was eager to give it a try, particularly since it has 4K Ultra HD pass-through and upscaling capability.

In case you're not aware, Denon's "X" series is replacing their old lineup of their higher end "CI" series. With the CI series, you would have the model along with the year of production. For example, the AVR3312CI I had was their 33 series that was produced in 2012. This X3000 model replaces their former 2313 CI model, which is a step down from the 3312 (albeit last year's production) I had before.

If you want a more powerful model with more features, then you'll want to look at their X4000 model, which replaces the series I had previously, the 3312CI (the 3313CI for 2013).

After unboxing this unit and making all of the connections, the first thing I did (and I recommend) was to allow it to update the firmware. This went very smoothly, but it took exactly 43 minutes (the unit counts down the time for you while this is taking place).

After that, it asks you a series of questions about your speaker connections. Note that you get the "standard" 5.1 connection, and then you have a choice of where you'll place the next two speakers...surround back, front height, or front wide.

After this, it will ask you to connect the setup microphone, after which you can start the speaker calibration process. You can place the microphone in up to eight different positions for this, stopping at any time after the first position to save and store the data.

During playback of any media, you can change the sound mode (to multi-channel stereo, Dolby cinema, etc.) by holding down one of the movie/music/game buttons on the bottom of the remote. It took me a while to figure this out, since this is a different process than my previous model. And, there is a plethora of choices to pick from.

The "info" button on the remote is also very handy. It will bring up a great graphical display which shows which speaker signals are coming in and which speakers are currently active.

As compared to my old model, I do miss the "umph" that the added wattage gave me. To drive my speakers, the on-screen volume line on this one is well over halfway on the scale. The same decibel level was produced on my older, higher end unit with the volume line about one third of the way. But, and I was honestly surprised by this, I see no difference in sound quality. Both units are superb...really outstanding. I've run several movies through it, several CDs, and Pandora, and just...wow! (I have two tower speakers for the front, and have the 7.1 set up with the high front speaker option).

Also be aware that this model does not offer HD radio, if that is important to you. The next model up, the X4000, does. I primarily use internet radio these days, so that feature is not all that important to me.

I have uploaded a couple of photos so you can see this unit compared to my old one. Size-wise they are the same, but you'll notice the difference in connections on the rear panels...mainly the sparse pre-out connections on the X3000. The 3312CI is about eight pounds heavier than the X3000.

On the plus side, the graphical interface is better...providing more (and clearer) choices and it now overlays on top of the television program you're watching instead of having the screen all to itself. I also like the fact that this receiver is 4K compliant because let's face it, that's the next "big thing" coming.

One really cool feature that the old model did not have is that you can, via the option button on the remote, listen to any music source while watching any video source. We like to run a slideshow of our family vacation photos, etc. with Pandora (or whatever) in the background, and this lets us do that easily. With the old model, I would actually have to connect the BD player directly to the television to do this (via a switcher).

Another great new feature is that all music can now be piped to both zones, including music from an analog input source...very handy!

All in all, I do highly recommend this unit, but if I were in the market to buy, I would look for a price point more around $600 to $700 rather than the list price of $1,000. For the list price, and even at a discount of $100 or so, you can find other makes with a more powerful amplifier, and even more features. The bottom line, though, is that this receiver is rich in sound and rich in features, and effectively delivers what most home theater enthusiasts will require. Being ready for 4K television, which provides future proofing to some degree, is an added bonus.

I hope this review was helpful...if things change I will update it, and if you have any questions please ask and I will do my best to answer. Thanks for reading!
review image review image review image
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 3, 2013
I purchased this receiver to replace a Denon AVR-3803 which I have had for around 12 years. The old receiver had just about run out of inputs and with the advent of HDMI in the interim and the purchase of a newer TV it became obvious that I needed to upgrade the heart of my system. Since I really liked the performance of my old receiver when I went shopping Denon was of course on my shopping list. I looked at Pioneer, Onkyo and Integra receivers in the ~$1000 price range and Denon had a good combination of features which I needed (networking and vTuner) without features I didn't need (wireless). Since I was able to get a good deal on a new one I decided to buy it.

Back problems from installing it in my rack aside, setting the system up was quite painless. Of course I have been setting up complex systems for myself for the better part of 40 years, but the "wizard" style setup guide is clean and easy to get through if you haven't done something like this in the past. Colored labels are provided for your speaker cables and the binding posts are correspondingly color coded which makes connecting your speakers simple. 7 HDMI inputs provide plenty of connectivity although the legacy inputs are fully assignable, but it would have been nice to have a couple of S-Video inputs for my LaserDisc player and S-VHS VCR. I may spend a hundred or so to convert my S-Video to HDMI and do away with the legacy stuff. If your display does not have an HDMI input you are in trouble.

Once you have everything hooked up, it is time to run the Audyssey setup procedure. You did remember to fish the little white box out of the shipping carton, right? Running this procedure is miraculous. I had set up my old system (remember is was old) using a Radio Shack SPL meter for levels and a measuring tape for delays. With Audyssey you plug a microphone into the receiver and the measure levels, delays and frequency response at up to 8 different microphone locations in your listening room. Once you have gone through this procedure (I went through 6 locations, because the ones which measure the surround rear positions don't apply in my room) the receiver adjusts speaker levels, delays and equalization for your room and speakers. The result is miraculous. Running this procedure breathed new life into speakers which I had been thinking about replacing. Imaging is more focused, frequency response if smoother and bass is tighter and has more kick. Audyssey Gold is a wonderful bit of technology, make sure you remember to get the little white box. The result of setting your system up is a system which sounds wonderful on both music and movies with amps which provide a reasonable amount of power. I listen in a fairly small room so I can't really push the amps really hard, but for a small to medium sized listening room (mine is around 300 sq. feet) you should have plenty of ooomph.

So that is the good stuff:

1) Connectivity
2) Ease of setup
3) Audyssey
4) Sound

What is the bad stuff?

1) ARC + HDMI control (CEC) can be a little funky depending on your TV.

I have an LG 55LS5700 and I use a Harmony remote control. When I turn on the system, the TV causes the receiver to switch to TV audio for the input, but it takes a while for this to happen. This requires a lengthy delay after the receiver turns on before I can have the remote send a code for the requested input. This is only a problem at system turn on.

2) Spotify requires a premium subscription.

3) Zone 2 powers up whenever the receiver is powered up. This requires you to turn it off using the web interface or the smartphone app.

How do the internet features work?

I have a lot of favorite radio stations from back home and other places (KQED, KPIG, WWOZ) and searching for and tuning them in (and adding to favorites) was a piece of cake.

There is also a DLNA server on my home network and the AVR-X3000 integrates into it perfectly allowing me the sort of easy access to my music that I haven't enjoyed since Nivis CDJ stopped working after the last round of network upgrades at my home.

In summary the network connectivity features of the AVR-X3000 work as well as I had imagined they would and provide easy and seamless access to my large music collection, something I have not been able to enjoy for several years.

I am more than happy that I purchased this receiver, it has brought my system up to date. With 4K and other signal upgrade support for newer and still uncommon video formats it also helps future proof my system for another decade or so.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon July 3, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a pretty exceptional home theater receiver although not problem free. I'm not a novice user of home theater but I'm not an expert by any means. If you've got advanced skills in setting up a home theater system you'll likely love this system. From my point of view it was just a touch trickier to set up then I expected. I set this up with a Pioneer 60" plasma HDTV, Sony PS3, and DirecTV HD Satellite box. Here are the pros and cons of my experience.
Pros:
- The front panel is very clean looking, not a lot of buttons and knobs. This makes it pretty easy to manually select your input device (e.g. Cable box, DVD, Game etc.).
- The remote control is similarly clean looking and easy to navigate. Batteries for this are included in the box.
- Label stickers are included so you can label your input wires and cables. Since I was replacing a lower end receiver this came in very handy.
- Rear ports are clearly labeled and easy to use. The speaker wire connectors use screw on caps to fasten the wires. Pretty easy to use and ensure a good connection.
- Output sound is terrific. The 5.1 speakers are loud and clear (I have a Center, 2 Fronts, 2 Surrounds, and an Active Subwoofer). Plenty of power to drive them. Setup was pretty good. You attach an included microphone to the front of the receiver and walk through the on-screen setup process. The process is not error free. As stated I have a 5.1 system. I wanted to connect my back speakers to the Rear Surround connectors on the back and ID them that way in the setup but it wouldn't let me. I had to connect and ID them as Surround. The only way it would let me connect and ID them as Rear Surround is if I had a 7.1 system. Also, one of my speakers was identified as Out of Phase (red and black wires reversed on speaker). It wasn't but I couldn't get around this. The setup program allowed me to Ignore this error and it stated that this error is sometimes reported erroneously.
- My first movie tried was "Snitch", a blu-ray rental from Netflix. I had the receiver set to auto-detect the disc sound setup and it incorrectly set it to stereo even though it was DTS 5.1 capable. I went back into the setup and changed the input audio for the PS3 from Auto to 5.1 and tried it out with the Bourne Ultimatum and everything worked fine after that.
- My old system required me to switch between HDMI 5 for the satellite box and HDMI 6 for the PS3 but the Denon allows me to stay on one input for the TV.
Cons:
- Network access requires a hard wire connection. I'm surprised that I can't connect it wirelessly and I don't have a network port in that room of my house.
- The unit is an energy vampire and goes into standby mode when not in use. There appears to be no way to power it down completely without unplugging it, which would likely cause it to lose it's setup configuration data.
- The setup menu is somewhat confusing to a novice or intermediate user (like me). There's some terminology in there I had to look up to understand.
- The User Manual comes on a CD in PDF format. The PDF is 235 pages so I get that but for what they're charging for this unit they should have included a hard copy manual.

Overall this is a superb unit and has a lot of versatility. It has USB connectivity (FAT16 or FAT32 format only). You can connect an iPod (but only with a USB connector). You can connect to SiriusXM, Pandora, and Spotify. There's a lot of functionality available that I don't normally use so I didn't test but the manual covers it all in detail.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon July 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Can you ssaaaaaaay surround sound! If your anything like me, you've had several surround systems the good, bad and the ugly. I've also had the pleasure of see/hearing excellent high-end systems as well. When given the chance to review this receiver I jumped at the chance.

The AVR-X3000 is a pretty advanced home theater receiver but the front design doesn't really show that. It looks like an entry-level AV receiver but it is designed in the right way by putting only the most important connections and buttons on the front panel. The overall layout is pretty generic and you have access to some key controls like the Zone 2 controls and quick select controls. This makes it easy to quickly switch to the desired input source. The quick select buttons are most useful because you can customize them. A single button press can select the input source and at the same time, apply your desired surround mode, volume level and EQ settings. As far as front panel connections are concerned, Denon is out with the old and in with the present with USB and HDMI ports serving as the main terminals for mobile devices. There is also a setup mic port for calibration purposes and the phones jack which is standard across any AV receiver.

The back of the Denon AVR-X3000 is where the magic happens and things get a bit more exciting. Not only are there billzion connections available but these connections are grouped to make it easier for inexperienced individuals to set up their home theater system. Connecting the speakers is a simple process since each positive and negative group has its own color coding for each of the color-coded speaker wires that are included in the package. Other connection ports like the HDMI ports, pre out, video inputs and audio inputs are neatly isolated in their own groups so you are less likely to encounter cable tangling issues. The 6 HDMI ports on the back should be sufficient for your stationary home theater components. Any mobile devices that you may have can be hooked up to the HDMI port on the front. Along with the usual HDMI output, there is also another HDMI port for Zone2.

Features
Denon home theater receivers seems like its more focused on usability. Even enthusiast-class home theater receivers like the AVR-X3000 have the same focus which is always welcome since it can help people set up their systems even faster. The Denon Setup Assistant is highly comprehensive using the TV's full display to walk you through the process in setting up things like the speakers. The steps are clear to follow and have some complementary graphics and diagrams to assist you. The interface itself is simple to navigate in case you need to make other setting adjustments.

Calibrating the speakers using the Audyssey MultEQ XT technology is part of the setup process and it is also pretty simple to accomplish. Once setup mic is properly connected, you can simply follow the onscreen instructions to optimally configure each speaker. The process can take a few minutes but it is worthwhile if you really want to witness how capable this 215-watt per channel home theater receiver is.

You can also augment the audio experience depending on your personal needs using Audyssey's other technologies. This includes the Audyssey Dynamic EQ which you can use to create a nice surround sound effect across all volume levels and the Audyssey Dynamic Volume which eliminates the inconvenience of manually turning down the volume once a very loud commercial suddenly appears. LOVE THIS!

The Denon AVR-X3000 has 7 channels just like the cheaper but less powerful AVR-X2000. But the AVR-X3000 also gives you access to the DTS Neo:Xupmixing solution so you can create an even deeper 3D audio experience by adding height and wide speakers. Even if the content does not support the soundfield, the results are pretty impressive. The AVR-X3000 is also recommended if you need that second HDMI output so you can create a different audio and video source for a small home theater system located in another room. The Denon AVR-X3000 also has the cool HDMI InstaPrevue feature which lets you check out a preview of an ongoing HDMI source in a small window while you enjoy your current input source. Finally, the AVR-X3000 is the most affordable receiver in the X-series to support custom installations.

Connecting the Denon AVR-X3000 to your home network through the Ethernet cable opens up the impressive networking capabilities of this receiver. iOS fans get the best experience as the built-in AirPlay support makes it very simple for music content to be played back through the receiver wirelessly. Android users can do this too although you need to download Denon's remote control app first. The app is completely free and also has an iOS version if you prefer using a smartphone or tablet to control the receiver. If you are not the type to store your music collection in a portable device, you can still get access to great music through music services like SiriusXM, Spotify and Pandora.

Bottom Line
The AVR-X3000 has better audio quality and higher power than the lower end models. But this may not be the best reason to spend close to $1,000 on this particular receiver. Instead, it serves as a reasonably priced receiver if you have room for creating one big home theater system or 2 ordinary home theater systems accompanied by technologies that is future proofed for many years to come. The Denon AVR-X3000 is working its way into niche territory. It has some pretty serious features that mark it out as a slightly less accessible receiver than the lower-end models, but its approach to multi-zone audio and video will be just what some people are after.
on April 10, 2014
Verified Purchase
In September of 2013 we moved into our new house with two zones/rooms of ceiling speakers (5.1 and 2.1) and subwoofers preinstalled. For 6 months I shopped, priced, and researched home-audio receivers and surround-sound systems. I finally decided upon and purchased this Denon AVR-X3000 home theatre receiver in April of 2014, and it is one of the best electrical/technological purchases I've made in 37 years of life on planet Earth. Having never owned or worked with home theatre systems & receivers, I found this complex-performing machine relatively easy to set-up (though time-consuming as I learned about such systems while installing it) with my various devices: Samsung LED 3D 55" TV, Xbox One, Blu-Ray 3D Player, and our Cox HD DVR box. The easy-to-follow on-screen instructions were very helpful and intuitive, as is the software in every regard. It's an easy plug-and-play piece of hardware. Likewise, the Denon Receiver Remote is extremely simple and functional. Every commercial, TV show, music video, and movie is like a miniature IMAX THX experience. The sound-quality is utterly mind-boggling. Immediately upon finishing up installation at 11:00 PM on a Wednesday night, I was captivated and unmovable for the following 3 hours as I watched "Man of Steel" and several other programs to experience and immerse myself in the system. I still need to finish up wiring the second zone, buy an ethernet to run from our Cox Modem to the Denon LAN to set up the various networks such as AirPlay, and do a few other things, but thus far I cannot fathom recommending anything other than this receiver. Our speakers are reportedly high quality, but the Denon AVR-X3000 would make any speakers sound amazing. I will wholeheartedly recommend this product to anyone and everyone.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I read the specs I was a little intimidated. I wasn't 100% sure I was ready to tackle a big AV project. So when it arrived I cautiously unpacked it (it's reassuringly heavy) and pulled out the Quick Start Guide. Okay here it is in a nutshell:
1. Put it near your TV
2. Hook up an HDMI cable from the X3000 to your TV and set the right HDMI input.
3. Turn them both on.
4. Watch the On Screen Setup Assistant appear on your TV. Do what it says.

Seriously, step-by-step on your TV with pictures. I never bother about the manual and I had it up and running in just over 30 minutes, easy.

This unit has seven HDMI inputs (with one on the front) and two HDMI outputs. Look on the back and you'll see two component video, two(!) sub-woofer, two optical audio, two coaxial audio, five analog audio inputs and three composite video inputs. You can route all this through two HDMI outputs (though I just use one).
The included remote is clean and easy to use. I just downloaded the Denon Remote App but so far it seems straight forward enough. The only down side I can point out is the lack of built-in wireless. It has an Ethernet port, but you need to buy the dongle to hook it up to your wireless network. I find that surprising considering it's not cheap.
At the end of the day it sounds great, it looks great, and I'm really enjoying it. Obviously it's not cheap, but you can spend a lot more. This unit is a good balance between high end features and price.
on September 24, 2014
Verified Purchase
Overall I'm happy with this receiver. Great product and even better price. However, I've had the following issues (hense the 3 stars for now):

1. While watching a movie the picture was jittery... very noticable during slow moving parts of the movie. Like frames in the picture were being skipped. After watching the entire movie that way (very frustrating) I powered off the unit (standby) and powered back on - the picture returned to normal. Not sure why I didn't try that before watching the whole movie. And it wasn't just the movie... switched to regular TV to test and was doing the same. I installed new HDMI cables and thought perhaps it was those, but it had to be something in the receiver.

2. The internet radio is awesome... when it works. For some reason mine was stuck on Spotify and while I could change the sound to another station, the display on the receiver showed Spotify and the last song I was playing. The display on the TV was also fuzzy during this time. A complete power down (unplug from outlet) seemed to do the trick to reset whatever was wrong here.

So far those are the only issues I've had with the receiver. Love the sound and the iPad control. I have a Sonos bridge near the receiver which doubles as a Sonos extender and as a connection via ethernet to the receiver in order to have internet capabilities. The Sonos bridge is wirelessly connecting to my router and it works great as a wireless extender. Yep... that's right for those that have Sonos - it works!

I will update to more stars if items 1 and 2 above do not happen in the near future.

11/16/2014 update: Moved to 4 stars (from 3). Have not had the jittery movie experience since that one time. Will update again after giving the network function some additional time to correct some issues...

1/14/2015 update: Still having network issues. I do not have this plugged directly into my switch/router but am using the Sonos device to make that connection. I've changed the Sonos device to a Sonos Connect and run my Sonos app through my home theater - excellent setup. So... I hardly even use the network funtionality any more except to control the device through my iPad - volume mostly. I guess it's not a huge deal, but the app has difficulty finding the Denon at times and then I need to unplug the Denon from power and reconnect - then it works for a week or so. I called Denon and in order for them to assist more, I need to plug the network connection directly into my router - which obviously complicates things since my router is nowhere near my receiver. Ahh... the challenge of not getting a bult-in wifi unit. Lowering back to 3 stars since this functionality is a flaw/defect of the unit, since my Sonos remains connected at all times with no trouble connecting to my wifi network. In fact, my Sonos Connect also provides network connectivity to my TV - absolutly no issues with the TV network connecting using this method... only with Denon.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 7, 2014
Verified Purchase
Love it.. One feature I love is receiver automatically allows sound to pass through with receiver off and uses sound on TV.
on November 26, 2013
Verified Purchase
I bought this AVR to replace a Sony ES555. The setup was a breeze and it was up and running in less than 30 minutes. I'm running Definitive Front towers with dual 15" powered subs, Center and Rear surrounds. The power output rocks the Definitives and has great sound equalization after tuning with the Audyssey system. Definitely would recommend this unit!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 21, 2014
Verified Purchase
I replaced an Onkyo (3008) that failed, and decided to try a different brand. I'm very happy with the audio. It fills a dedicated media room no problem (7.1 setup), and is crystal clear. Easy set up with the Audyssey.

It's not quite as configurable as the Onkyo, as that one allowed very granular control. However, without having to do much tweaking it sounds pretty much the same. I can't tell the difference.

I needed the dual output and zone2 capability, which is why I opted for this unit over the x2000. I am happy to say that it worked exactly as I hoped it would. I have a media room with a projector in one room, and an LCD with a sound bar in another room. This AVR allows you to passthrough HDMI to zone2 while decoding audio on the main. This can be different inputs. For example, my son can be playing an xbox game on the LCD on zone2 while I watch a movie on the blu-ray player in the main zone. My old Onkyo could not do this, because on that one both outputs had to mirror each other.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations