4.0 out of 5 stars Denon 290 CD Player
This player makes my old Sony look like a clumsy tank. I enjoy it except for one problem. Scratched cds won't play. But they play fine on the boom box in the kitchen! I thought that a garage sale boom box wouldn't be able to read cds better than the Denon, but I was wrong.
Published on February 12, 2009 by Loves Lanikai

3.0 out of 5 stars denon dcm-290
I'm being critical here- this is a good-sounding player. My critique would be that the sound isn't balanced- it's weighted toward the highs. Not much lows or low mids. Bright-sounding (I'm sensitive to this) but not harsh.
Published on February 3, 2008 by Todd Belden

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars denon dcm-290, February 3, 2008
This review is from: Denon DCM-290 CD/CD-R/RW 5 Disc Changer (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Nice amount of detail- I can understand lyrics on some songs that I never could before (our previous changer was a JVC). Changer is less "clunky" sounding than our JVC.

4.0 out of 5 stars Denon 290 CD Player, February 12, 2009
Loves Lanikai "Pat" (logan, ut United States) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars denon dcm - 290, December 4, 2008
As a long time purchaser of Denon products I would not buy another Denon product. I purchased a Denon DCM - 290 Cd changer. It stopped working after 13 months. I contacted Denon, they said I could send it to one of their authorized repair places, but it would not be repaired free of charge since it was over the one year warranty period. I just received a call from the repair shop. They told me that the disk table and much of the inside had to be replaced and would cost $258 which is more than the $249 I paid for it new. Unfortunately Denon no longer makes reliable products.

2.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy operation makes this an unattractive choice, April 10, 2009
Noca (Davis, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I haven't been happy with this changer. It's not consistent with Denon's past history as a maker of quality components. The ability to play MP3 CDRW discs is nice. It's also nice to be able to change the other 4 discs while 1 disc continues to play.

However, a few points make this an annoying choice. Firstly, the unit is slow to operate. The disc changing motor is slow. And you cannot cue up multiple "next disc" commands to cycle through the discs, which again makes cycling through your discs slow as you wait for each individual disc.

But even more annoying is that the "Disc Sequential Random Play" operation (listed on page 10 of the manual) doesn't even work! I've spent hours trying to convince Denon's technical support that there's a problem with their firmware, but to no avail. They only insist that it's a problem with my particular unit. This being after they admit that they don't even have a DCM-290 unit at their site to test! Last time I was at Best Buy, I tested the DCM-290 they had on display -- guess what? -- same problem. Basically, this unit has bug in its software, and Denon refuses to fix it. But of course, Denon cheerfully continues to sell it!

So, if you don't mind a slow changer that won't cue commands, and a player that only performs some of the functions listed in its manual... Well, maybe this is the product for you. But if you're truly looking for a quality CD changer, you're better off looking elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Denon DCM-290, March 12, 2009
The DCM-290 is a solid 5-disk CD changer for a home entertainment center. I have yet to run into problems and I have owned the product for seven months. The rotator tray seems a little flimsy but CDs fits snuggly and has never got caught off track. Remote programming quickly corresponds with the unit control panel for easy and dependable use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lesson i learned, April 3, 2011
Here's what i learned. I picked this up refurbished and it did not work out of book and sent for repair.It came back and i played a couple of cd's .Next Time i went to use it made noise and was jamming the cd's.

Turns out this was a common issue for this brand.In the garbage and got a SONY, no Issues.

Lesson: If they only offer a 30 day Guarantee and not a same as new one.Then they are not standing behind the Product because they know it's going to go down Again & again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the usual Denon quaility, May 29, 2010
I bought this unit in September of '08. I immediatly noticed that it had some issues, but it played well enough not to be much of a bother. It had a real problem playing mp3s / burned cds which later developed into it not playing at all. As a past lover of all things Denon, this changer changed my mind. Though many of the older models (I have 2 others) are true workhorses and have the greatest sound and functionality, this unit is entirely lacking. As of today, I am looking for a replacement (this unit is out of warranty), but I doubt it will be from this manufacturer.

2.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY!, December 4, 2011
THIS IS A PIECE OF JUNK. SOUND QUALITY IS MEDIOCRE AND NOT AS GOOD AS THE 18 YEAR OLD PHILLIPS SINGLE PLAY IT REPLACED. THE REAL PROBLEM IS PROGRAMMING IT - IT'S IMPOSSIBLE. YOU CAN PUSH THE "SELECT DISC" BUTTON A HUNDRED TIMES WITHOUT SUCCESS AND SELECTING A TRACK IS NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE - YOU HAVE ABOUT 3 SECONDS TO IMPUT NUMBER BEFORE PLAY STARTS. THAT'S OFFSET BY THE WAIT BETWEEN DISC SHUFFLING. LOOK AT SOMETHING ELSE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CD/MP3 player, April 18, 2009
I am very impressed with the quality of the system. I have tried playing CDs and MP3 disks and it works very well. The first player amazon.com shipped had a mechanical fault, but amazon.com promptly replaced it.

2.0 out of 5 stars They are right -- this thing is unreliable, June 26, 2010
Bought this thing locally, given the bad reviews, figuring that having my local dealer to stand behind it might help. Well, during the first year of operation, it ALMOST worked all the time. I judged that it wasn't worth my time to have the dealer send it back to chase an intermittent problem that DENON would almost certainly deny existed.

I'm now in the second year, and it is getting more unreliable. It just flat refuses find disks and/or tracks unless it is in the right mood. I don't use it much, which is why I haven't done anything about it. I just hate the fact that DENON sells such a flawed product now; why won't they make a reliable unit?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›