5.0 out of 5 stars Deployment: Strategies for Working with Kids in Military Families, July 29, 2010
This review is from: Deployment: Strategies for Working with Kids in Military Families (Paperback)
This comprehensive, yet easy to read, book is an excellent resource for anyone who works with or loves a child(ren) in a military family. The author's goal "to provide a voice for these children" is accomplished. Readers will learn what reactions [to deployment] to expect from children of various age levels and strategies for best responding to their needs. How to provide quality programs/opportunities that incorporate music, literacy, movement, and address multiple intelligences is useful information. An important section on play shows how to create an effective play environment, how feelings are expressed through play, how to respond to disrupted and/or violent play and how to help children understand their feelings.

Practical ideas for developing effective partnerships with families, addressing special issues (the deployment of both parents, single parents, and re-deployment) are included. And creative ideas for helping children stay connected with their deployed family member are shared. Many resources are woven throughout the book: websites, organizations, adult and children book lists, and a glossary of common military terms (for those of us who are illiterate to military lingo).

This book is a valuable resource for me and I highly recommend it to educators, child care workers, counselors, families, health care providers, and others serving military children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Review - Deployment-Strategies for Working with kids in Military Families, April 7, 2010
As a military wife for over twelve years, Family Readiness,(Support), Group Leader, a Mom of a five and a half year old daugher, and a Teacher; I feel that this is one of the best books out there.
It not only covered just about everything that I can possibly think of for helping our daughter through her second deployment, (third for me), it was "light", interesting, and gave so much "light at the end of the tunnel" kind of feeling. I also teach in a pre-school, which has some military children attending. There are tips for teachers, so we can better work with these wonderful and strong, military children. I can also provide so much useful information to our child's Teacher, as well. So many educators are in the dark when it comes to what emotions a military child experiences.
The book covers ideas from how to stay in touch, to what is really going on in a baby's, toddler's, child's and older child's, (teen's), head while their mom or dad is deployed. This is one of the toughest times that any child can experience, but I found this book to be a tremendous, and wonderful "bible" for us military families. I've learned so much from this book - Total Thumbs up!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource!, November 26, 2013
Great advice for deployments. We are about to experience our first deployment so I wanted some background for my 5 and 3 year old. This book has been a great resource for us.

Deployment: Strategies for Working with Kids in Military Families