5.0 out of 5 stars Design Basics

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Introduction
Published on September 11, 2010 by James T. Walczak

5.0 out of 5 stars Design Basics, September 23, 2007
iykjg (Inyokern, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Design Basics, Multimedia Edition (with ArtExperience CD-ROM) (Paperback)
I am retired junior high school teacher but a beginning student in digital imaging. I purchased this book as a companion book in a "Photoshop" class that I am taking. The book presents a clear introduction to art and design. The sample photographs and artwork cement the concepts in the book. I would recommend this book to any beginning art student or "Photoshop" user. One of the best I have seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this for school, May 17, 2007
This book is so informative that though I bought it for a class, I am keeping it to refresh myself. It contains the terminology that you need to understand and use to review a piece of art, and clear examples of everything that is explained in it. This will make art and design easier and will help it have more impact on the audience.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Introduction, September 11, 2010
I can't say that I'm sure why people would specifically recommend this book for "Photoshop" or even sculpture...perhaps they have a different (newer or older) version of this book. I got the one in this specific listing, version 6 (there's at least one newer version out there). I wanted to mention this because if a person were to get this book thinking (based on other reviews) that this book is going to help them with Photoshop, beyond basic principles of design, composition, color and such, there's not really anything in this book pertaining all that specifically to photography, let alone digital photography. I'm not saying that this book wouldn't perhaps be helpful to a photographer, it's just that there are better books out there in that specific regard (such as a John Hedgecoe book perhaps). Design Basics is really aimed at a person looking to become an "artist" in the most general sense of the term, who's just beginning their education.

That said, this is a pretty good book if for no other reason than it's an "easy read". It doesn't really go in to a great deal of detail on any one specific issue but it does provide the reader with a good over all explanation of most art related terms and concepts. It's also laid out very well in that it explains something and provides some pretty good visual examples (most of the time) to illustrate and help the reader understand the explanation.

Now one thing I feel I must say is that this book -is- aimed at "students"...it's intended as a art TEXT BOOK and as such, the price is outrageously high for new. -If- you're like me and are a college student and this book is required for one of your art classes (I needed it for 2D Design), then by all means grab it (make sure to grab the version your class requires though). If the book is listed as being optional for your course, contact the instructor and ask if it's really necessary. If you have all kinds of money dripping out of various holes in your body and really have no better way of spending it (like donating to a nice charity), then yea...sure...grab it. If on the other hand you're a struggling artist on a tight budget like many of us are, I can -NOT- recommend getting this book new! Virtually all of the information contained in this book can easily be found in other art books for a MUCH better price! Having been a freelance graphic artist for the past 14 years before getting the formal education, I already knew virtually everything that was in this book (from other used books and vids that collectively still cost less than this book does new). I got my copy here used for about $10 (plus s&h) so that was worth it but I can't honestly say I'd spend as much as $40-$70 for this book used and I certainly would ***NOT*** pay $120 for it new! My three star rating is based on the price alone. It's a decent book for the beginning art student but it's simply not -that- good to warrant the price...not by a long shot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great text for introductory sculpture class, November 16, 2007
I've used this book as the primary reading source for the past three years in my high school sculpture class. My course introduces students to the process of working in stone, steel and bronze.This text provides a solid foundation for understanding the fundamental elements, attributes and potentials for working in three dimensions. It integrates poignant examples of excellently reproduced visuals into an elementary discussion of the major facets of visual art. My students really enjoy the Multimedia CD-Rom,
ArtExperience. It's a fun, informative, useful and integral component of my teaching.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, a very easy read, October 16, 2014
Cleophus (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Great little book, a very easy read -- the author describes and defines concepts, then mostly uses visual examples/pictures to illustrate the concept. I find this methodology very effective, as I am not exposed to and lost in possibly-confusing or -boring lengthy text. For a design "basics" course, this is a pretty much perfect textbook.

Glad that older editions of this book are available: As others have commented, the price of the current edition is shockingly high.

4.0 out of 5 stars Design Basics, Multimedia Edition, June 18, 2008
This is one of the hardest book to locate. I found it here at a good price. This book outlines design basics in a relateable fashion that didn't overwhelm me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful textbook, September 17, 2008
I bought this book on the suggestion of a photo adult education teacher and have found it helpful in MANY ways.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard Book to Find!, October 13, 2008
This was a required book for my Design class in college and I needed it badly! No one carried it where I lived and I needed to order it online. I first ordered the book from a company that never sent it out and I never recieved the book. I finally came onto Amazon.com and and found a great price and the timing was wonderful for when I got the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars design basics 6th ed. at amazon, September 9, 2012
The design basics 6th edition I ordered was sent on time, and in the condition I expected it to be in. I have yet to actually use the book, my design class hasn't started yet. I'm not really used to doing online reviews, or reviews in general, but after buying several textbooks from amazon for college, i am completely satisfied with all of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great basics, May 5, 2011
This is going to be a great book to organize my Design I course around. I chose this edition because me students won't have to spend a fortune on the newest one. And it comes with a CD ROM

Design Basics, Multimedia Edition (with ArtExperience CD-ROM)
Design Basics, Multimedia Edition (with ArtExperience CD-ROM) by Stephen Pentak (Paperback - January 4, 2006)
Used & New from: $3.84