From the Back Cover
The definitive guide to foodservice equipment and designfrom inception to completion
Good food, happy customers, and profitsthe telltale signs of a thriving restaurant or foodservice facility. But if you're not paying attention to the hundreds of details involved in running a successful facility, you'll fall short of achieving all three of these goals. Providing a breadth of useful, updated information on equipment, procedures, technology, techniques, safety, government and industry regulations, and terms of the trade, Design and Equipment for Restaurants and Foodservice, Second Edition demystifies the complex decisions facing the new restaurateur and foodservice manager.
In Design and Equipment for Restaurants and Foodservice, well-known hospitality and food authors Costas Katsigris and Chris Thomas cover every aspect of establishing a physical facilityfrom concept development to operationincluding where to put a laundry room, how many place settings to order, how to lower utility bills, how to buy a walk-in cooler and how big it should be, and even how air conditioning systems and water heaters work.
Thoroughly updated to embrace the latest trends in design and the newest equipment technology, this Second Edition features:
- Updated coverage of site selection and the changing diversity of restaurants and mixed-theme facilities
- New coverage of costs associated with restaurant start-up
- New photographs and diagrams featuring cutting-edge foodservice equipment
- Guidelines to designing kitchen and storage areas for maximum efficiency
- Information on purchasing, installing, operating, and maintaining foodservice equipment in all areas of a restaurant, from the kitchen to the tabletop
- Helpful coverage of safety and health-related concerns
- Expanded coverage of energy conservation
- Discussion of new types of lighting and HVAC technology
With fascinating interviews of successful professionals as well as novices, Design and Equipment for Restaurants and Foodservice, Second Edition is an indispensable resource for hospitality management students and professionals alike.
About the Author
COSTAS KATSIGRIS is Director Emeritus of the Food and Hospitality Services Program at El Centro Community College in Dallas, Texas, and an adjunct lecturer at the University of North Texas in Denton.
CHRIS THOMAS is a professional writer specializing in food and wine topics. This is her fifth textbook for John Wiley & Sons.