5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent wood design reference, January 3, 2007
This review is from: Design of Wood Structures - ASD (Hardcover)
I bought this book for an independent study course in wood design while obtaining a MS in Civil Engineering. The book is well organized, does an excellent job of explaining the hows and whys of wood design and provides excellent design examples. I would highly recommend it. To get the most of this book, you should also have a copy of the IBC, ASCE 7, and the Wood Council codes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only for engineers, March 3, 2010
Horse (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Design of Wood Structures - ASD (Hardcover)
I gave this book 4 stars, because I'm sure it is very good for it's purposes; but it did not fit mine.

I was hoping for a good book that is better than Graphic Guide to Frame Construction (For Pros By Pros) but this one is far too technical.

It requires that you have taken engineering courses such as Statics. I flipped through it, but hope to return it.

I did like some of the information that I saw; For instance it tells you not to use metal connectors with a large amount of vertical screws on Glu-lam beams, but it is mostly the math behind the building.

Please, some young smart engineer buy Graphic Guide to Frame Construction (For Pros By Pros) and write a better book, I'll buy it I swear.

I have the 2009 International Residential Code For One-and-Two Family Dwellings: Soft Cover Version, and Wood-Framed Shear Wall Construciton; An Illustrated Guide coming in the mail, so maybe that will help.

The Framing books are too dumbed down, and the engineering texts are too mathematical in nature.

Can anyone recommend a good book for smart young contractors willing to learn?

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, January 29, 2013
Dusit Roongsang (Sammamish, Washington United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Design of Wood Structures - ASD (Hardcover)
Good book for structural reference. I design structures as a career and this book is perfect for your structural references library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Design of Wood Structures - ASD, February 23, 2006
This review is from: Design of Wood Structures - ASD (Hardcover)
A great reference for both wood structural design, and basic structural design in general. Excellent discussion/explanation of Wind/Seismic per IBC/ASCE 7-02. Very clear examples of diaphragm and shear wall behavior. One of the most well written engineering texts available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, September 29, 2009
This review is from: Design of Wood Structures - ASD (Hardcover)
Good coverage of wood design. This is a text book, so it makes a good (not great) reference.

Design of Wood Structures - ASD
Design of Wood Structures - ASD by Jr., David Pollock (Hardcover - September 2, 2003)
$110.00 $90.49