5.0 out of 5 stars surprising results but makes sense

Published 12 months ago by lra123

5.0 out of 5 stars surprising results but makes sense, January 24, 2013
spellbinder (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Designer Dog DNA Test Kit (Misc.)
We were initially very surprised by the results. They were not at all what we thought or what we told the company when we submitted the samples. We sent the samples in with a note stating that our rescue dog was half poodle but asking to know what the other half was. I even bought the designer dog kit because we were so sure she was a poodle mix. I would have bet $100 that the oher half was going to be cocker spaniel. However the results showed no poodle at all, but rather 50% bichon plus 25% Weimaraner. Whoa! After processing the total shock for a day or two, it did sink in. We watched our dog with the idea of a pointer/hunter/tracker in mind and suddenly some of the strange little behaviors of our dog made sense (digging out and tracking small rodents, pointing at birds, easily directed to run in different directions with hand gestures and voice), as well as her occasional stubbornness and stamina and running ability. We looked at photos of bichons and her face is all bichon. Anyway we have concluded that it is accurate. I have to give Wisdom credit for figuring it out despite our having sent in the samples labeled as poodle. I did call the company to speak with a scientist and had a nice conversation with her. They were very open about their methods (they test SNP profiles compared to a databank generated from AKC bloodlines) and they stated that 25% is a strong level of expression and they do believe that this level of inheritance is the level that manifests in behaviors and appearance. I conclude that this was well spent money. I feel like I do understand my dog's tendencies better and it dispelled the misinformation we had been given (and still are given all the time) by well meaning commentators including people who inform me that they are "breeders" (i.e. experts) who insist that she is part poodle. Also when people ask me what kind of dog she is, I now have a specific answer which does seem to delight others. I feel it was a reasonable price for the learning and enjoyment we got out of this interesting test.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly great DNA Test, November 22, 2012
This review is from: Designer Dog DNA Test Kit (Misc.)
Designer Dog DNA test was a great experience. There was a wealth of information included, and having my dog's picture in the middle of the breed's that are her relative's, was a plus

4.0 out of 5 stars Dog DNA happy recipient, October 25, 2013
This review is from: Designer Dog DNA Test Kit (Misc.)
The test more then lived upto what it promised we would learn. We had very cryptic information about the rescued 5 week old puppy and wanted to learn as much as we could about temperament, training and health matters. The Wisdom Panel was easy to administer, easy to ship to the lab, and the delivery of the final analysis was by email. I would give this 5 stars except the company advertises results in two weeks from the date of receipt. It took 14 days for them to receive it (it was sent in the 3 day priority mail envelope that was enclosed), and from the day it was logged as received it took another 17 days to get the analysis. So all in all the process was 14 days longer than advertised. A bit frustrating especially since we were so excited. But I would use this product again and just know it's double the advertised wait time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pain in the butt, April 13, 2013
This review is from: Designer Dog DNA Test Kit (Misc.)
I did everything that they said I needed to. I never got an email, plus just contacting them was a hassle. Week two and I still haven't heard from them. Waste.... *editing for an update*: So finally after 30 days, I heard from them. They said that they barely received the sample. Im sure... But then they said it was going to be a couple more weeks for the results. After almost 2 months, I finally got my results. My advice, use another company!

1.0 out of 5 stars Totall waste of money, January 22, 2014
This review is from: Designer Dog DNA Test Kit (Misc.)
Extremely displeased with the doggy DNA results. Seems like they didnt even try
I'm no genius, but how can a 30-40 lb-ish Tibetan terrier & a 40-50 lb-ish chow chow make little 10 lb maltipoo-looking dog?

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty spot on-takes a bit of time, August 21, 2013
MJC (APO, AE United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Designer Dog DNA Test Kit (Misc.)
I chose this test for a 5 month old rescue pup with no history except that she was a field rescue that was a dachshund mix. Not a designer puppy, exactly but we wanted to know what the other half was so we could work with her behaviorally and know what to expect. When registering your sample with this test it goes into in depth analysis so it requests two different breeds? Why didn't I get the mixed breed test? This test was less expensive and gives you your data regardless of your correct guess or not. So I put dachshund and labrador, due to her long fluffy tail, shiny black coat and forward folding ears (although long and doxie like).

While I waited for this test results I would see different possibilities, one of them being a smooth fox terrier, due to her forward folding ears and black angled face, maybe some border collie due to her heel nipping and wiry chin hairs. But the more I looked at pics of smooth fox terriers the more sold I was. Turns out she is half rat terrier to great grandparents and a quarter standard dachshund with the possiblities of wired hair dachshund and welsh corgi mixed in on her dachshund side. Good to know- wire haired dachshunds are feisty and especially terriers so she will need extra training due to having a small child in the household. I'm well aware that many dachshund rescues don't adopt them to families with small children, however she was from a high kill shelter (which kills dogs with kennel cough and she had an upper respiratory infection when we adopted her) and I have twenty plus years of dachshund owning experience so I'm determined to make this work.

As for Wisdom Panel DNA, the customer service is pretty much non existent using their web based form. That is why I deducted a star. I emailed them asking when the sample was going to be run- USPS tracking said the sample was received yet they took a whole week to update that on Wisdom Panel's website that they actually received it. The whole 28 days or so that it takes for their countdown ticker to run the test and report the results was actually used save 2 days before the expected date. However, 8 days of that was wasted with my sample sitting in limbo and I did not receive an email to this day with a reply to my question.

5.0 out of 5 stars faster than listed and most informative, December 29, 2012
This review is from: Designer Dog DNA Test Kit (Misc.)
I was not only told what my designer dog was but that he was an F1 cross... He doesn't look at all like his full brother from another litter but it was confirmed .

1.0 out of 5 stars results not possible, September 6, 2013
This review is from: Designer Dog DNA Test Kit (Misc.)
Just got back my dog's results and I'm so disappointed. They say she is a Havanese, Lowchen and Tibetan Terrier mix, all very long haired dogs, when she clearly looks like a short haired hound mix. She is far larger than any of the listed breeds and her hair type and colors are completely different. I plan to contact the company and see if I received another dog's analysis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Designer Dog DNA Test Kit from Wisdom Panel, February 25, 2013
This review is from: Designer Dog DNA Test Kit (Misc.)
The Designer Dog DNA kit revealed aspects of my dog's DNA that I would have never guessed, but afterward it all made sense. For example, my dog has a purple spotted tongue and several people have asked if he has some Chow in him., To my knowledge he has no Chow, but The Designer Dog kit revealed that his Mama was 1/2 Shar Pei which like Chows also have purple tongues and Shar Pei ancestry fits with other aspects of his physical appearance and character.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's Her Heritage, February 8, 2014
This review is from: Designer Dog DNA Test Kit (Misc.)
I was very pleased with this product. From the included instructions on how to obtain the sample to the on-going communication via email to the final detailed report, it all met my expectations. I found out that my dog is a mix of Beagle, American Staffordshire Terrier and Bulldog. The turn around time was approximately two weeks. I recommend the Designer Dog to anyone wanting to know the breed background of his / her dog.

ARRAY(0x981bfe58)